5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Spoiler insatalled!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 02:11 AM

Rear Spoiler insatalled!!

First off I want to Thank the following people for there help:
*Phanton R
*Paul6SPEED
*Clee130
*Big Dog Jonx
*Ludacris
*Richard (Big Rig AutoBody)
And the rest of you who responded to my cries for help. I spent most of the day on that thing, meticulusly measuring and taping and drilling and touching up with paint, siliconing, and examining all the info I got from my peeps at the org. I spent from 2 to about 11pm before I was done. The hardest part was putting the screws on because I had no help at all. It's a little off centered but I'm glad I saved money on this. I lost a screw so I will have to search for it or buy it at Lowes or something. Also I plan on going over two holes with a dremel. To touch it up a bit. I will post pics soon. To all those dealerships and that one body shop that qouted me hundreds just to mount a spoiler...
Old 10-27-2001, 02:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Told you MAN!!! Aint nothing like getting down and dirty and breaking a sweat and getting ****ed off and frustrated with your car and mods like INSTALLING the crap yourself!!!

HAHAHAAA

Glad you like it and GOOD JOB!
Old 10-27-2001, 02:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 10-27-2001, 02:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Kev, you need to go to Forums-Anonymous, freaging staying up at 2:30am over there in Cali and post whoring.

I will be in the class about 1week after you join, since I am post whoring here at about 5:30am also.

See you there......... Just let me know how it goes and what time they start!

Dixit
Old 10-28-2001, 01:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Kev, you need to go to Forums-Anonymous, freaging staying up at 2:30am over there in Cali and post whoring.

I will be in the class about 1week after you join, since I am post whoring here at about 5:30am also.

See you there......... Just let me know how it goes and what time they start!

Dixit
Old 10-28-2001, 01:16 AM

I wouldn't have been able to wait that long seeing a spoiler just sit there in my house..I'd be too excited to see how it looked . You got patience man! Glad ya figured it out
Old 10-28-2001, 11:35 AM

pics! where did you order spoiler, how much$? I want to see step-by-step instructions, man.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:30 PM

I wish I had a spoiler
Old 10-28-2001, 03:15 PM

Step by step instructions are a little difficult to post I got pics of the process and can explain them but i need a site to load them on. I have a geocities site but i want to load them in like aparent directory format like Paul6speed did for his 02 pics. Anyone know how let me know. Although I got to warn you it took along time to do this and i spent around 50 on tools and supplies but they're worth it.
I spent about 95 dollars for the spoiler shipped. I got it from e-bay a while back. Now I see them for 99 starting bid and who knows if it's without shipping. I also saw some that were painted just that you got to let them know your color code or something. I personally, if i had to do this over; would have called Tustin Nissan and got a factory one. The help I got from some org members showed me that the spoiler I bought isn't an exact replica, and it would have same me a lot of hassle as well. oh well. Painting the spoiler cost me 180 dollars so i did save money especially on install. And the spoiler is slightly off centered but I think I can go back an fix that. I will post pics soon if there is interest. Thanks guys.
Old 10-28-2001, 05:09 PM

Wait..you spent over $320 and put your time in it. I don't know how about where you live, but I know a bodyshop in my area that will have an OEM-style spoiler for any Max $270/painted&installed. Do the math.
Old 10-28-2001, 06:51 PM

Ok 95+180=275....Where did you get $320 If you are talking about adding the cost of tools then keep in mind that i keep those tools and remember that is just an estimate. Some tools i did not need but I needed them adn thought maybe they might come in handy. The dealers wanted to charge me as high as $700 for installing it. If you can get all that for that price, thats good compare to the prices i got. I could have paid less for painting the spoiler, but the guy hooked my sister up and painted her bumper which was scratched pretty bad for free. So I gave him the job. Believe me I could have gone and search and probably have found a better price for all this but i was getting inpatient. Ludacris made a reference to having my spoiler in the garage for months so it was due for install. Also there is no guarantee that the dearler or local bodydhop won't mess up. If you are planning on getting a spoiler from this bodyshop make sure they warrantee their work. I'm sorry if i seem defensive or whatever you want to call it but i'm just letting you know what i went through.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:26 PM

Menacer, bro, I didnt mean to hurt your feelings. I really hope you enjoy your new spoiler. Here in Baltimore...a shop, I know them very well, used their service, and have friends who used their service. They installed an OEM-like spoiler on my friends 4th gen for $250 total, and I saw that car. So, whoever is from this area, I can hook you up w/that bodyshop. Peace.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Menacer, bro, I didnt mean to hurt your feelings. I really hope you enjoy your new spoiler. Here in Baltimore...a shop, I know them very well, used their service, and have friends who used their service. They installed an OEM-like spoiler on my friends 4th gen for $250 total, and I saw that car. So, whoever is from this area, I can hook you up w/that bodyshop. Peace.
Nah G, you didn't hurt my feelings. Nah, not at all. Like the last sentence in my last post said, I was just letting you know what i went through. Fools around where i live wanted a lot, what you are telling me is a way more reasonable offer than here. I live in Southern California and in my region they wanted a lot. So if I was getting an OEM like spoiler+ the cost of painting it+ the cost of installation, all for $250, I would definetly jump on that. Please don't take my post the wrong way, i didn't mean any harm. I was just trying to clarify. It's easy to misunderstand messages on the web. I know you were tying to look out but it was too late and i know i probably paid a lot to have it painted but the guy hooked my sister up for free when she had her bumper scratched preety bad. Her bumper on her Rav 4 looks new now so i gave him the job. A bodyshop around here told us that they would have to have it replaced and painted for around 300 sum dollars. This guy sanded it down and painted it for free. Just trying to show you what kind of people I was dealing with. Sorry this post is so long. Take care. Pics coming in a little bit on a diffrent thread.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:55 PM

aiight
Old 10-29-2001, 09:56 PM

Nice install. Please post pics. The OEM spoiler is higher quality, IMHO.
Old 10-29-2001, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Paul6speed
Nice install. Please post pics. The OEM spoiler is higher quality, IMHO.
Oh I found that out when i looked at them and when i saw all the info i got from you guys. Should have gone for that instead. But oh well. i am having trouble with some pics so i am in the process of working on them. I will post pics on a seperate thread in about an hour or so. Just need to change the format but first need to install a photoshop program. Thanks again Paul for all of your help. It was very much appreciated. Thanks