5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5th Gen 5spd clutch info ------>

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 08:16 PM

5th Gen 5spd clutch info ------>

After a few long weeks of trying to get a 5th gen clutch made by ACT, I found some new info.

To make a long story short Courtesy Nissan does not have my busines anymore. I spoke with Randy Richardson(parts manager) and he said he would send ACT a clutch for me since its a benefit for them since they sell ACT clutches as well, this is after I offered to buy the clutch, so I agreed since it would save me money. I had to order a clutch and it took about 4 business days for this to occer, I called back and he was busy, I left him, 2 messages, no call back. I then spoke with another guy there that has been there for a while, I can't recall him name now but he said he could help. I explained the conversation with Randy, he placed me on hold for a while and when he came back he said Randy said he did not remember speaking with me about this . So then I told him if he could send ACT the clutch, he said yes. Then I called a week later to check if he sent it off, He told me he did not remember speaking with me either . So this really angered me, so then I spoke with the performance guy there and he said it was sent last week, so I called ACT and NOTHING, no clutch. So by this point I had waisted about 3 weeks on waiting and being lied to in my face and basically calling me a liar, so I decided to call Dave Burnette and just buy the clutch, I bought it and it was sent off the same day. ACT recieved it in about 2 days.

Well bottom line is ACT is sending me a clutch but it turns out its the same as the 4th gen. I should recieve it early next week and install it along with my alum flywheel, and see how things go. From what I am told by Jim at ACT, you can use the 4th gen on a 5th gen but not a 5th on a 4th. Some of the differences is the 5th gen has about 100 ft/lbs of better holding by the pressure plate than the 4th gen. And there is a width difference of about 2mm if my memory recalls.

So soon we shall find out if all works well with the new clutch. Jim at ACT is a very nice and helpfull guy and very understanding throughout the whole ordeal. Also once again thanks to DaveB and his fast and great service, this shows how Town North Nissan once again exceeds over the others
Old 10-27-2001, 09:12 PM

I'm a little confused. Why are you buying the clutch from Nissan and Sending it to ACT? what are they doing to it?

your flywheel Stillens? How meny miles you have on your car? I've at 40K now and the clutch has been slipping for the past 15K or so but hasn't gotten any worse.
Old 10-28-2001, 12:11 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by PIONEER
I'm a little confused. Why are you buying the clutch from Nissan and Sending it to ACT? what are they doing to it?

your flywheel Stillens? How meny miles you have on your car? I've at 40K now and the clutch has been slipping for the past 15K or so but hasn't gotten any worse.
He needed them to make a clutch for the 5th gen. No one had any aftermarket ones available. Now we know the Act will work on the 5th gen. So that is good news especially for SC owners.

Old 10-29-2001, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

He needed them to make a clutch for the 5th gen. No one had any aftermarket ones available. Now we know the Act will work on the 5th gen. So that is good news especially for SC owners.
That is correct Russ. I sent ACT the Nissan Clutch so that they could build me a 5th gen clutch since the only aftermarket clutch was the clutchmasters and preffered to have a ACT from the feedback I have heard from ppl. But it turns out that the ACT 4th gen clutch can work on the 5th gen. Now this is said in theory but since no one has tried it yet I think I am going to be the 1st since I should have it installed within the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:10 AM
Maxima Pilot

Climax..are you in any way related to the 'old' Climax that was active on this board way back in '97 and '98 or are u the same Climax with a new handle??
Old 10-29-2001, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX

That is correct Russ. I sent ACT the Nissan Clutch so that they could build me a 5th gen clutch since the only aftermarket clutch was the clutchmasters and preffered to have a ACT from the feedback I have heard from ppl. But it turns out that the ACT 4th gen clutch can work on the 5th gen. Now this is said in theory but since no one has tried it yet I think I am going to be the 1st since I should have it installed within the next couple of weeks.
Keep us posted, stock clutch sucks.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:19 PM

I thought Cattman sells clutches, but they are through Jim wolf. Not sure if they still have them and are selling them. But it shows the same clutch for years 89 thru 01.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Galo
Climax..are you in any way related to the 'old' Climax that was active on this board way back in '97 and '98 or are u the same Climax with a new handle??
I know who you are talking about but we are not the same, the only thing we have in common is that we live in the same city Austin, from what I have heard he moved and now his little brother drives the max, but I am not really sure.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Matticus
I thought Cattman sells clutches, but they are through Jim wolf. Not sure if they still have them and are selling them. But it shows the same clutch for years 89 thru 01.
Yeah they show the same clutch, but since no one that I know or have heard of had a ACT and I hear such great reviews about them I wanted to go with them.
Old 10-29-2001, 07:49 PM

Is that just disk and pressure plate or it also has a throwout Bearing?? My throwout bearing is messed up I think. Somtimes it vibrates when I press the clutch.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by PIONEER
Is that just disk and pressure plate or it also has a throwout Bearing?? My throwout bearing is messed up I think. Somtimes it vibrates when I press the clutch.

I think its just the disc and pressure plade I should have it by Wed. I think the throw out bearing may be stock but I will confirm this once it all arrives. My Stillen (Mueller) flywheel arrived today, so things are looking great, next I have my 3.25 Pulley with and my y-pipe, Rt cat, and a few other things