5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

strange rattle from driver side rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

strange rattle from driver side rear of car

i was getting out of my car the other night, it was quite and everything, and when i closed my door i heard this weird rattle coming from the driver side rear of the car. at first i thought it was the corner lense, but its not that (i dont think). when i open my trunk, there is no rattle, it only does this when the trunk is closed, so im guessing its the little emergency trunk release handle thing, thats all i can see that would rattle back there besides the corner lense. its only on that side too. anyone else had this strange rattle?
Old 10-29-2001, 01:29 PM

YES I HAVE!!!!!!!!!

I had to perform an operation on the inside of the trunk to find it. but if you remove the inside lining of the trunk mainly by the driverside tail light by removing all the clips and tabs holding it in. behind there is this white filter like box that has loose flaps on it (WHY OR WHATS IT FOR I HAVE NO IDEA) but thats what that rattle is. I could not take it out so I just pushed it in and stuffed it with some old rags and the rattle was gone! Sounds crazy but I thought it was crazy for it to be there in the first place!
Old 10-29-2001, 03:43 PM
Sly

Re: YES I HAVE!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Max_Vader_2K
I had to perform an operation on the inside of the trunk to find it. but if you remove the inside lining of the trunk mainly by the driverside tail light by removing all the clips and tabs holding it in. behind there is this white filter like box that has loose flaps on it (WHY OR WHATS IT FOR I HAVE NO IDEA) but thats what that rattle is. I could not take it out so I just pushed it in and stuffed it with some old rags and the rattle was gone! Sounds crazy but I thought it was crazy for it to be there in the first place!
I believe that's an exhaust vent for in-cabin air. With the windows rolled up and the air being blown in by the A/C system, it has to go somewhere, right? It has flaps that function as one-way valves so that "dirty" air and water can't get in.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: YES I HAVE!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Max_Vader_2K
I had to perform an operation on the inside of the trunk to find it. but if you remove the inside lining of the trunk mainly by the driverside tail light by removing all the clips and tabs holding it in. behind there is this white filter like box that has loose flaps on it (WHY OR WHATS IT FOR I HAVE NO IDEA) but thats what that rattle is. I could not take it out so I just pushed it in and stuffed it with some old rags and the rattle was gone! Sounds crazy but I thought it was crazy for it to be there in the first place! [/QUOTE/]
phew, i thought i was the only one that had this "strange rattle" , thanks for the advice, and ill check it out as soon as i can! THANKS AGAIN!!