5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Trick question...I know the rules around here my friend.
Hardly a trick question, a regular question

If you 'know the rules', then don't post anything that can be interpreted as street racing discussion.

Unless of course, you want to get banned for a misunderstanding. Not that I have any doubt at all that you just were talking about street racing.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM

my problems with my 2003 gle i bought with 42k
CD player problem which most of u know about
n my sub bailed out on my completely so i had to get a new one
ummmm n thats about it now i got 51k on it n cant be any more inlove with it
absolutely love the car
Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Take it for a test drive. Mine is at 140k and I have done TONS of maintenance, almost all of it preventative, and she drives nicer then some of my friends NEWER cars at a quarter of the mileage. Bottom line: TEST DRIVE IT
Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 PM

Looking to buy 2002 SE Fully Loaded Locally, need advice.

Hey guys I am looking to purchase this car tomorrow. I test drove it and it was nice. Anything I might want to ask the seller or what should I know up front about this car? Thank you for your help!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1287583802.html

Thank you again for any help. Sorry if this is a vague posting. I am just not sure what to ask. =)
Old 07-27-2009, 10:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by tokomoto
Hey guys I am looking to purchase this car tomorrow. I test drove it and it was nice. Anything I might want to ask the seller or what should I know up front about this car? Thank you for your help!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1287583802.html

Thank you again for any help. Sorry if this is a vague posting. I am just not sure what to ask. =)
Check for the 3rd gear crunch, you could use it as a bargaining point. While you're driving, also check for any clutch slippage. At 133k miles, it could be just about due for a clutch, depending on how it's been driven. Easiest way to check is just put it in a high gear at a low speed, then go WOT.

Other than that, all of your basic checks; headlights (especially the headlights, the bulbs aren't cheap), all other lights, condition of the brakes, a look underneath for anything obviously out of place, major rust issues, look for signs of shoddy work under the hood (bolts missing, a lot of harness clips broken), etc.

One thing though, if nothing under the hood looks like it's ever been touched/removed, they've never had anything 'major' replaced yet; starter, trans, etc. May be a good thing, may be a bad thing.

Ask about any oil usage, check the levels, look for maintenance records.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

'01 Maxima GXE prepurchase stage

Hi everyone,
I really appreciate the great advice I have picked up lurking around the threads. I am currently looking at a 2001 Maxima GXE, 160,000 miles. The car appears to be in very good shape, however during my initial inspection of the car (which includes hooking up a code reader) revealed the dreaded P0505 code, and a P0430 code. The owner claims that the light just came on, and I have no reason to suspect they would be trying to be dishonest with me (I am much more mechanically inclined than the current owner). I am currently scheduling a prepurchase inspection by my qualified mechanic, but I would like to see what the combined expertise of the community thinks. P0505 could mean that the IACV needs to be replaced, but could this be caught early enough to prevent an ECM replacement? The seller is asking for $3790, but indicated they may be willing to negotiate further if the mechanical inspection reveals anything. Opinions?

Last edited by Captain Wes; 07-31-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm considering buying a used Maxima, either an 01, 02, or 03. This is going to be my first actual car purchase (I was given an 02 Infiniti g20 and have been driving that, but I kind of hit a deer and it's pretty beat up now). I've been reading a bit on the forums, but I'm just curious on what you guys think. Would I be better off getting an 01 or an 02/03? I think the latter have a more powerful engine, if I'm not mistaken, but I read that the engines in the 01 are considered more reliable. I was just wondering if you guys think that the trade-off would be worth it, more power or more reliability?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 PM

here is a n00b question that i cant figure out, what does SSIM stand for?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Crusher103
here is a n00b question that i cant figure out, what does SSIM stand for?
Search:
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ml#post6379586
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...m-6th-gen.html
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...ml#post7042419
http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...ntake-mod.html
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...d-im-ssim.html
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-mod-ssim.html
http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...-manifold.html
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ntake-mod.html

...etc.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 PM

yea yea yea i didnt search, so what i was too lazy.....
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Crusher103
yea yea yea i didnt search, so what i was too lazy.....
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by allhalf425
I'm considering buying a used Maxima, either an 01, 02, or 03. This is going to be my first actual car purchase (I was given an 02 Infiniti g20 and have been driving that, but I kind of hit a deer and it's pretty beat up now). I've been reading a bit on the forums, but I'm just curious on what you guys think. Would I be better off getting an 01 or an 02/03? I think the latter have a more powerful engine, if I'm not mistaken, but I read that the engines in the 01 are considered more reliable. I was just wondering if you guys think that the trade-off would be worth it, more power or more reliability?
Depends what kind of deal you find... if its a good deal I would go for it. Both 5 and 5.5 gen are reliable. Some 5.5 engine consume oil... but hey, its still worth it.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 AM

hey guys

Been a long time since i've been on here. Sold my 01 se 5 speed maxima back in late 05 with 95k miles on it and 0 problems (bad decision) when i got my M3 and never looked back. I miss the maxima scene, so i'm diving back in.

I'm looking at an 02 SE 6 speed, grey/black, leather, loaded (except nav) with 95k on it. Car facts came back clean and they are asking $6,995, it's a 2 owner car. The price seems great, and it's got all the options i want. With all the reading i've been doing on problems everyone has...i'm a little worried. I understand i should be looking for shifting problems from 1st to 2nd, high rpm shifts from 2nd to 3rd, cd changer issues, hvac blower problems. Anything else i'm missing? I don't know if it has the limited slip or now, the guy wasn't sure.

Thanks gentlemen. It's good to be back.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:08 AM

Turning into a G**damn project car, but I love it.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ready to enter the Maxima family with a 2003 SE

Hi everybody and forgive me for my English, I am french and live in Montreal.

I have been reading the threads for a few days now since I considered buying a Maxima.
I would like to see what you think about one I found, a 2003 SE fully loaded except for the heated mirrors and navigation - 9000$ canadian. Black leather interior, impeccable inside out, even being in Montreal the car has no rust but I got to bring it for inspection to see underneath. The body looks great and the guy took care of the inside in an amazing way, the car looks new and I am very picky !
The engine was changed and has now 95000km, the body has 180-190000km, the guy (2nd owner) told me it was because of an oil leak, I still have to see all the bills concerning the car, he told me he has everything, we will see.
The breaks will have to be changed soon but it should not cost too much from what I have found ($300-$400 canadian).
It comes with new winter tires and good 4 seasons tires.
I tried the car, except for the breaks everything felt fine, including the gear shifting (manual).
So what do you think ? with 95000km (body and engine) the car is supposed to have a value of 9300$ wholesale and 11200 retail, it should be a bit less for this one since the body has higher mileage but the guy sales with brand new Pirelli tires.

To summarize:
Maxima 2003 SE manual
Fully loaded except navigation
about 59000 miles on the engine, about 115000 miles on the body
Great condition inside out
Maintenance has been done carefully since seller got it, bills to check
Brakes will need to be changed
$9000 canadian = about $8200 US

Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate, I can't wait to join the community after everything I read and tasting the beast for a few kilometers.

Chris

Last edited by Forza81; 08-14-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 HID's in to early 2001..Can it be Done???

Can you put HID's retro onto a 10/00 2001, like 2003 OEM's?
They look better and I want the additional light.
Thanks Kurt
Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by kbboulder01max
Can you put HID's retro onto a 10/00 2001, like 2003 OEM's?
They look better and I want the additional light.
Thanks Kurt
Yes, you can retro any headlight, within reason.

However why not just get the A33B headlights? A lot easier, and may very well turn out cheaper.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 PM

I've owned a 5-spd 1997 SE and road her hard until 110k miles. The only thing that I ever had to do other than routine maintenance was replace the starter.

Right now I have a 13 month old and want to car to hold me over until I can get my toy (2003 NSX). Don't laugh, I'm off to a great start with $15 bucks saved up in my penny jar.

Anyway, I am looking at a 2002 6-speed maxima SE that is really clean. Its a 2 owner car that has spent most of its life in Maryland and VA. Carfax shows now acccident. Its got bose, cruise, cloth int, they want $8,000. Do you think that is a good deal? I don't really have records since I'm buying from a dealer. Should I be concerned with any major issues from 100k to 150k miles (besides the obvious; clutch, brakes, tires).

I loved my 1997 (sold her in 2003) and am really looking forward to getting back into a maxima.

Here is old vs. new...

Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i gotta 02 max se and was wondering if i were 2replace my hids 2a higher k(8-10k preferably) would i have 2 jus change the bulb or wut would i have 2do?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by perfectmax
I've owned a 5-spd 1997 SE and road her hard until 110k miles. The only thing that I ever had to do other than routine maintenance was replace the starter.

Right now I have a 13 month old and want to car to hold me over until I can get my toy (2003 NSX). Don't laugh, I'm off to a great start with $15 bucks saved up in my penny jar.

Anyway, I am looking at a 2002 6-speed maxima SE that is really clean. Its a 2 owner car that has spent most of its life in Maryland and VA. Carfax shows now acccident. Its got bose, cruise, cloth int, they want $8,000. Do you think that is a good deal? I don't really have records since I'm buying from a dealer. Should I be concerned with any major issues from 100k to 150k miles (besides the obvious; clutch, brakes, tires).

I loved my 1997 (sold her in 2003) and am really looking forward to getting back into a maxima.

Here is old vs. new...

how many miles??

Originally Posted by Teddy ~B~
hey i gotta 02 max se and was wondering if i were 2replace my hids 2a higher k(8-10k preferably) would i have 2 jus change the bulb or wut would i have 2do?
you just have to get replacement bulbs
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 AM

bulbs only, tell them your preferred K.

but remember that the higher you go, the less light output you'll get.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002-2003 Maxima SE 6spd or Acura 3.2 TL Type S or Acura RSX Type S 6 spd

Hey everyone I have a major delema. I have been car shopping but can't decide what to get. I love the 5.5 Gen max 6 speed SE with all the trimmings but due to the long list of problems i have seen on the forums i can't be too sure. I hope that you guys can convince me otherwise. I love the VQ 35 engine but it seems to be murder on gas. I had a 2000 Toyota Camry V6 XLE before but now i want something with a bit more ***** and after the maxima is the original 4DSC =D
My main questions is will the Maxima be as reliable as my camry? I have 170km on it and never had a problem. All i do is Brakes, oil , other fluids, gas and it's a never left me anywhere. My cousin who is mechanic told me that the Maxima's are a pain in the butt to to work on and they burn oil pretty bad.

So here are my choices . The TL has major tranny problems but is a dream to drive, The RSX is great on gas but is 2dr and has crappy side impact ratings as well killing me on insurance. So these are my main gripes so far. I can get any of these cars for under 10k so it does not matter it's just that i don't want to be under the hood everyday or eating my friends dust while not beaking the bank. If i get the maxima i'm going all stillen and Frankencar

Any criticism will greatly appreciated. Hopefully i can make a decision with your advice.

Give me the whole Spheal and don't be afraid to go NUTS !!!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 PM

Get the 6spd max, it's faster, larger ,decent on gas if it's a 6spd, I get at least 700km per tank.
Assuming that T-dot means Toronto u will love the heated steering wheel.
This site as well as TMEC will help u with any possible problems
Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks alot dude! I'll be hunting for one by this fall.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

whats the best thing 2do if i want the yellow foglight look, hid kit, bulbs, tint overlay, etc? i read about the lexus capsules but how would i do that? any suggestions ppl?!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have my eyes on a 02 6spd SE max with 110K km or around 70k miles on it.

but the damn car has rust around both quarter panels and various rust spots on the car's chipped surfaces. the hood latch has rust on it, the part where the spoiler and the trunk meets has small spots of rust on it.

Should i buy it? it drives smooth and the clutch was fine. only other problem is the car's power steering makes this noise when turned while car is stationary.

I also ran a carfax on it and it didn't show any accidents or flood history on it. however...record stopped in november 2007 with 30k miles on the clock and it's 2009 now....

i like this car a lot and it's 6 speed as well, i think it'll edge out my 03 TL Type S with header hehe, but these rust issue is really getting to me, i dunno if i should buy it...i can get it for pretty cheap too...6000 cad plus tax, which is about 5500 usd. I just don't know if i should buy this car as an interim car until i graduate and get something really nice once i get good job

thanks a bunch in advance!!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by nsx04
I have my eyes on a 02 6spd SE max with 110K km or around 70k miles on it.

but the damn car has rust around both quarter panels and various rust spots on the car's chipped surfaces. the hood latch has rust on it, the part where the spoiler and the trunk meets has small spots of rust on it.

Should i buy it? it drives smooth and the clutch was fine. only other problem is the car's power steering makes this noise when turned while car is stationary.

I also ran a carfax on it and it didn't show any accidents or flood history on it. however...record stopped in november 2007 with 30k miles on the clock and it's 2009 now....

i like this car a lot and it's 6 speed as well, i think it'll edge out my 03 TL Type S with header hehe, but these rust issue is really getting to me, i dunno if i should buy it...i can get it for pretty cheap too...6000 cad plus tax, which is about 5500 usd. I just don't know if i should buy this car as an interim car until i graduate and get something really nice once i get good job

thanks a bunch in advance!!
70K miles for $5,500 is a very good deal. Have your mechanic look at it before you buy it.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:39 PM

whats the best thing 2do if i want the yellow foglight look, hid kit, bulbs, tint overlay, etc? i read about the lexus capsules but how would i do that? any suggestions ppl?!
Search in the forum, theres alot of information about it.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM

FORZA- sounds like a good deal kms low for reasonable price- comparable to the max I bought a few months ago...

SINGH- Are you kidding?? tl or rsx??? pffff bwhaahahahaha get a maxima you wont regret it
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im looking at getting a 5th gen close to me (lou ky) if i dont get metals ride. I dont care about year, i want a 5spd (6spd if i can find one) with less that 100k. what should I expect to pay? Im having trouble find some MT's so I cant get a good basline. Also what would YOU all pay for one? i can find what NADA and KBB say but what do you say i should not go over? kinda of a noob question Im sure but the 5th gens are new to me

B
Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM

entertainment at its best! dont you think it might have been easier to just tell him what it stands for rather than grabbing all those links?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

WORTH BUYING?????

ok, so Im looking at a 2001 Maxima SE 5spd with 123K thati can get for around 5K. all stock. black on black leather. dont know much about the car other than nissans are the ****!! what do u guys think??
Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i wrote nissans are the shiiiit, sorry for cussing
Old 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

BTW car is very clean inside and out
Old 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM

I know the prices may be a bit different around different areas, but I live in the northeast and I bought a 2002 maxima 6 mt a few months ago. Had 105k when i bought it, had all options except navigation including leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, moonroof, bose sound system, hlsd (limited slip differential) and probably more i can't think of, Interior was immaculate, exterior was great except for one small section of minor scratches on the rear quarter panel. Tires needed to be replaced, but needed nothing else, paid 6,900, also was a 1 owner car, and the guy had all service records. Don't be worried about buying one of these cars with 100k miles, my friend owns a maxima with 250k on it and has never done any major engine repairs.

Last edited by brian04_21; 09-07-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM

I like the style of the GLE's climate control

like this, so it is only in GLE's correct?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM

02 SE 6spd

found an 02 SE 3.5L 6spd with about 138000 on it and this lot wants 6800 for it...good deal or not?

B
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
found an 02 SE 3.5L 6spd with about 138000 on it and this lot wants 6800 for it...good deal or not?

B
im guessing from the lack of response its a bad deal

B
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 AM

^^^ Yea, bad deal. Keep searching!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 AM

im looking at getting a 5th gen close to me (lou ky) if i dont get metals ride. I dont care about year, i want a 5spd (6spd if i can find one) with less that 100k. what should I expect to pay? Im having trouble find some MT's so I cant get a good basline. Also what would YOU all pay for one? i can find what NADA and KBB say but what do you say i should not go over? kinda of a noob question Im sure but the 5th gens are new to me

B
I would say it really depends on mileage and condition, but between 7-9k ish...

Post your craigslist/kijiji ads for us to take a look if you are considering anything.

Originally Posted by Unducuva
i wrote nissans are the shiiiit, sorry for cussing
Are you stupid or just retarded??! why would you type it out and bypass the sensors to show us that you are swearing.....

Originally Posted by glekid
I like the style of the GLE's climate control

like this, so it is only in GLE's correct?
NO this is exact same climate control in SE also

B
Price is too high for that mileage.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 5th/5.5 Gen? Please post all questions and info here....