5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please educate me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM

Please educate me...

What's the difference between a VQ30DE and a VQ30DE-K engine, with regard to Maximas? "K" usually indicates a supercharged engine, but I'm not aware of any factory supercharged Max's being produced.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM

detuned version of VQ30DE?
Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM

a simple wikipedia search can find your info, or I am sure the info is here on the org. Just search.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:23 PM

I think the story goes... K stands for a japanese word meaning "improved".
Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Turbo'd Saab

the difference between the engine
VQ30DE is in the 4th gen
The DEK is in the 5th gen

differences include:
-IM
-Fuel system
-Cams
Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 PM

the "k" has a dual runner intake which accounts for much of the 32hp increase, which is why a lot of people with 4th gens are swapping in the 5th gen intake (00VI).
Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
the difference between the engine
VQ30DE is in the 4th gen
The DEK is in the 5th gen

differences include:
-IM
-Fuel system
-Cams
+1, that pretty much sums everything up.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 PM

The "K" stands for the word the Japanese word kaizen. It means improvement. In this case improvement upon the VQ30DE; variable valving, intake, etc.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Cletus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

Last edited by SoonerFan; 05-09-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:55 AM

I think he meant this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

Last edited by AEMAXIMA01; 05-09-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan

Why would I bother visiting a site that hosts information based on consensus opinion when I can come here to the .org for facts (it's a VQ, not a VG, BTW)? Especially when I can get the facts along with asinine comments from small-minded internet post-****** who have no apparent purpose in life beyond the reach of their keyboards?

To those kind fact-givers: thank you. Now I understand.

Last edited by vinco; 05-09-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 AM
wat

Originally Posted by vinco
Why would I bother visiting a site that hosts information based on consensus opinion when I can come here to the .org for facts (it's a VQ, not a VG, BTW)? Especially when I can get the facts along with asinine comments from small-minded internet post-****** who have no apparent purpose in life beyond the reach of their keyboards?

Why bother a forum and not search? You think this is a new question?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 AM

k stands for improved, hence the 30+hp gain over the fourth gens
Old 05-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Play with my balls

"K" stands for "Kiss my *** VQ30DE".
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Why bother a forum and not search? You think this is a new question?
I'm sorry to be such a bother. No, I'm sure it's not a new question for the all-wise and all-knowing potentates of Maxima knowledge who reside here on the .org, but it's a new question for me. Perhaps rather than questioning someone's integrity for asking for some clarity (especially after explaining the source of his confusion in a reasonable manner), you should really question why YOU are on a Maxima forum when you apparently have no real interest in talking about Maximas. You'd obviously rather spend your time berating lower life forms such as myself than actually having a discussion about Maximas.

Why would I really want to go to Wikipedia when I want to talk about Maximas? Would I go to PF Chang's if I wanted to eat weinerschnitzel?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
"K" stands for "Kiss my *** VQ30DE".
Now, that there's funny. I don't care who you are.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 AM
wat

I'm sorry to be such a bother. No, I'm sure it's not a new question for the all-wise and all-knowing potentates of Maxima knowledge who reside here on the .org, but it's a new question for me. Perhaps rather than questioning someone's integrity for asking for some clarity (especially after explaining the source of his confusion in a reasonable manner), you should really question why YOU are on a Maxima forum when you apparently have no real interest in talking about Maximas. You'd obviously rather spend your time berating lower life forms such as myself than actually having a discussion about Maximas.

Why would I really want to go to Wikipedia when I want to talk about Maximas? Would I go to PF Chang's if I wanted to eat weinerschnitzel?
You should go to the Nico forums or some other place then. Also we do have a thread for questions like this if you will be asking more.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365289
Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Play with my balls

Would I go to PF Chang's if I wanted to eat weinerschnitzel?
mmmm, PF Chang's sounds good right about now. Come to papa you mouth watering lettuce wraps.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM

Im all about helping new members , i mean we ALL were new members at one point but come on.
I dunno man i think lately im starting to understand "Soonerfanism" more an more by the day.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 AM

if 5th gens came with vq30de-k engine why did 2k i30's came with vq30de's? Thais just wierd. Also the infiniti make 5more hp or at least they claim that. What's up with that.

And LOL at Soonerfanism. Haha data funny.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 AM

Doesn't the 5 extra hp come from the exhaust? It's the same on the AE, that's where it gets its extra 5hp over the non-AE. I've never heard that the 00 I30s didn't come with the de-k, though.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
if 5th gens came with vq30de-k engine why did 2k i30's came with vq30de's? Thais just wierd. Also the infiniti make 5more hp or at least they claim that. What's up with that.

And LOL at Soonerfanism. Haha data funny.
2000-2001 maximas all come with vq30de-k.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
dot dot dot ...

Mother of God

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
why did 2k i30's came with vq30de's?

Originally Posted by maxdriver10
k stands for improved, hence the 30+hp gain over the fourth gens
Kaizen, and who cares about peak hp numbers, it's all about area under the curve.
Originally Posted by Teddie18
variable valving

Originally Posted by Feldman
the "k" has a dual runner intake
Misnomer.
Originally Posted by DaveVQ
-Cams
Less duration, so less potential for top end ( 6k+ RPM) power. In this case, DE intake cams > DEK intake cams for top end power.

I also hear the cooling system is a touch different.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 05-09-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Cletus

dont waste our time when the info is so easily available...there is a newbie thread for people like you.

so you would believe some random person on a forum over wikipedia

Last edited by SoonerFan; 05-09-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by RacerX1320
Im all about helping new members , i mean we ALL were new members at one point but come on.
I dunno man i think lately im starting to understand "Soonerfanism" more an more by the day.

i try to tell people that they will understand some day......

Soonerfanism, noun: (1) the belief that there are, in fact, stupid questions; (2) the understanding that, while many questions are worthwhile, there are better places to ask them; (3) the knowledge that, although some questions may be worthwhile, a simple search may reveal answers.

Last edited by SoonerFan; 05-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:55 AM

I looked under my hood and it says vq30de and no k and I have a 2000 maxima.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
I looked under my hood and it says vq30de and no k and I have a 2000 maxima.
where does it SAY that?

you have a vq30de-k...trust me
Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
You should go to the Nico forums or some other place then. Also we do have a thread for questions like this if you will be asking more.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365289
Ummm wow. Just wow. You really are a sanctimonius Equus, aren't you? I suppose you're recommending Nico because you're a moderator over there? No, actually I don't frequent Nico, because it's too full of wonderful people just like you on top of all the idiots.

Your post count is probably composed of many, many useless responses in threads much like this one. Congratulations. That's a great accomplishment. You are most certainly worthy of the adoration and praise of all the lowly subjects in your kingdom which you rule so benevolently. What are you, 15? 16? Do you even have your driver's license yet, or did you fail the test because you couldn't stand being asked a set of simple questions to which everyone knows the answers ?

Nice car in your avatar. I'm sure it's yours, right?

signed,
Haywood Dziablaume

P.S. (or I guess that's "P.M.S." in your case) I'm sorry, I thought this was a forum. A forum is a place to openly discuss ideas. If people do not wish for others to ask questions or have discussions, then the entire concept of a forum is moot. By your logic, this forum would die within hours, because everything has already been discussed, therefore no further or repeat questions need be entertained. All threads should be locked, because everyone will be able to easily find whatever they wish to know if they'd only SEARCH. Right?

On the other hand, if one cannot find anything to say which is actually pertinent to a conversation, then one should simply have the courtesy to remain out of that conversation. Didn't your parents teach you that?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM

dont waste our time when the info is so easily available...there is a newbie thread for people like you.
The only thing wasting your time in this case is the fact that you're actually putting effort into telling me how stupid I am for asking a simple question. Don't blame me - that's your own fault.

so you would believe some random person on a forum over wikipedia
Not necessarily, but I'd much rather have a question about Maximas answered on a Maxima forum than on a site that has a little bit of information about millions of different topics, most of which have nothing to do with Maximas... not unlike your own comments.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Cletus

typical....
newb asks a basic pointless repeat question...gets flamed...gets feelings hurt...lashes out
Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 PM

typical....
newb asks a basic pointless repeat question...gets flamed...gets feelings hurt...lashes out
Typical... old member with an ungodly high post count (indicative of not much life outside an online forum) thinks that a low post count is automatically equated with a young, stupid twit...shows his manly prowess by telling the newb to search...chuckles to himself at the thought of just how badly he has scarred the ego of the poor, stupid newb...complains about how the newb is wasting his time by asking such stupid questions.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Bacon Lover

"K" usually indicates a supercharged engine
Actually "R" denotes supercharged in Nissan nomenclature (such as the VG33ER).
Typical... old member with an ungodly high post count (indicative of not much life outside an online forum) thinks that a low post count is automatically equated with a young, stupid twit...shows his manly prowess by telling the newb to search...chuckles to himself at the thought of just how badly he has scarred the ego of the poor, stupid newb...complains about how the newb is wasting his time by asking such stupid questions.
K, newb.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Cletus

his join date didnt equate to being a "young stupid twit"....his pointless thread and replies to veterans proved that

and of course you feel this way since you are also a newb
Old 05-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Soonerfan, we could banter back and forth until my post count is 20,000 and yours is 40,000, and it would most likely still have no relevance to the actual topic of the original post.

24 Hours of LeMons... now that schitt's funny!

Last edited by vinco; 05-09-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Cletus

Soonerfan, we could banter back and forth until my post count is 20,000 and yours is 40,000, and it would most likely still have no relevance to the actual topic of the original post.

24 Hours of LeMons... now that schitt's funny!
but would you learn a lesson
Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM

where does it SAY that?

you have a vq30de-k...trust me
There is a 3x5 sticker under the hood that reads the vehicle emission control info and barcode and it lists my engine to be vq30de. I'll upload a picture for ya when I get home I do know for sure that my engine looks different from the 4th gen vq30de.

I'm sure sooner has more life outside of this forum than you think. I think it's his principle to be involved in every single thread ever created and thats how he get his high post count. And I'm not surprised that he drops in a lot since that's what I do when I get bored at work which is every 15sec.
And there is a noob thread for people to ask simple questions like yours that only require a short reply so we don't jam this forum up with pages of threads.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
There is a 3x5 sticker under the hood that reads the vehicle emission control info and barcode and it lists my engine to be vq30de. I'll upload a picture for ya when I get home I do know for sure that my engine looks different from the 4th gen vq30de.
My 01 AE also reads just "VQ30(DE)", but that doesn't mean it's not a VQ30DE-K. There is a reason it looks different than a 4th gen VQ, it's because it's a DE-K. Every 00 and 01 produced came with a DE-K.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
wat

Ummm wow. Just wow. You really are a sanctimonius Equus, aren't you? I suppose you're recommending Nico because you're a moderator over there? No, actually I don't frequent Nico, because it's too full of wonderful people just like you on top of all the idiots.

Your post count is probably composed of many, many useless responses in threads much like this one. Congratulations. That's a great accomplishment. You are most certainly worthy of the adoration and praise of all the lowly subjects in your kingdom which you rule so benevolently. What are you, 15? 16? Do you even have your driver's license yet, or did you fail the test because you couldn't stand being asked a set of simple questions to which everyone knows the answers ?

Nice car in your avatar. I'm sure it's yours, right?

signed,
Haywood Dziablaume

P.S. (or I guess that's "P.M.S." in your case) I'm sorry, I thought this was a forum. A forum is a place to openly discuss ideas. If people do not wish for others to ask questions or have discussions, then the entire concept of a forum is moot. By your logic, this forum would die within hours, because everything has already been discussed, therefore no further or repeat questions need be entertained. All threads should be locked, because everyone will be able to easily find whatever they wish to know if they'd only SEARCH. Right?

On the other hand, if one cannot find anything to say which is actually pertinent to a conversation, then one should simply have the courtesy to remain out of that conversation. Didn't your parents teach you that?
Did i strike a nerve?

You talk allot of **** for someone who cant even find out what K in their engine coding means on their own.

So do we have a new village idiot?

Do you know what GT-R stands for on my avatar? Hope so otherwise there might be a new thread!

Last edited by AceofSpds; 05-09-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Cletus

if one cannot find anything to say which is actually pertinent to a conversation, then one should simply have the courtesy to remain out of that conversation. Didn't your parents teach you that?
didnt your parents teach you not to start stupid pointless conversations
Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 PM

hey, calm down guys...
there is no point to start a fight about this...
I think sonnerfan should give a chance for noobs to start a pointless question, and new friends should respect the work that we did.
everybody starts from a noob, we can't ignore our past because we are pros. in other point, new people really should start learning how this forum works, other wise this forum will be flooded with questions like this..

Last edited by jasonmax; 05-09-2008 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Please educate me...