5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which place do you recommend?
Nissan Dealer
16.67%
Meineke
0%
Midas
16.67%
Other (please specify in thread)
66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Need some suggestions on where to get exhaust work done

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:00 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Need some suggestions on where to get exhaust work done

On my way home today my car all of a sudden started making a really deep noise and rattling every time I accelerated so I figure it's the muffler. I'm going to take it in this weekend to get looked at, but can't decide which place would be best. Thought I'd ask to see where people have had exhaust work done and if they're happy with the prices and the job that was done. I'm liking Midas because they have a life-time muffler service where they gurantee it for as long as you own your car.

Last edited by XGaSpAcHo; 07-10-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Stay away from chains like Midas and Meineke, especially if you want more than just a muffler. They tend to only do crush bends and don't often have too many options (if any) for free flowing mufflers. See if there are any local performance internet forums and ask who they recommend. I know that here in the Dallas area, the place to go is Kinney's Mufflers.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Glory Glory Man United

Midas and Meineke will charge you and arm and a leg. Like Scott said try a muffler shop around your area they seem to be cheaper then those chains around here.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:22 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by 01_Maxine
Midas and Meineke will charge you and arm and a leg. Like Scott said try a muffler shop around your area they seem to be cheaper then those chains around here.
the only thing about those shops is i don't know what kind of parts they use and what their warranty is. at midas the muffler is guaranteed for as long as i own my car. and the price isn't horrible....$325 installed plus i have a $20 coupon.

i'll have to check the yellow pages and see what else is available locally. thanks. but definitely not the stealership, right?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:26 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Stay away from chains like Midas and Meineke, especially if you want more than just a muffler. They tend to only do crush bends and don't often have too many options (if any) for free flowing mufflers. See if there are any local performance internet forums and ask who they recommend. I know that here in the Dallas area, the place to go is Kinney's Mufflers.
i don't want anything more than a muffler though

but i'll look around and see what i can find.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

No reason you can't get a quality high flow muffler or a turbo style muffler (which would be reasonably quiet) installed for $150 or less.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:40 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Scottwax
No reason you can't get a quality high flow muffler or a turbo style muffler (which would be reasonably quiet) installed for $150 or less.
i wouldn't know what to get and i would rather just have a regular muffler.

i have a separate question though...i called a local muffler shop and the guy told me that the way i described it (rattling and the muffler is loose) it sounds like the bracket that attaches the muffler to the car is broken and not the actual muffler. said it's common on maximas. he said that for $75 he can splice on a new bracket and have me on my way in a half hour. does this sound legit to you guys?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:07 AM

same thing happened to me, made my own "bracket" dont think you should be charged 75 though
Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
i wouldn't know what to get and i would rather just have a regular muffler.

i have a separate question though...i called a local muffler shop and the guy told me that the way i described it (rattling and the muffler is loose) it sounds like the bracket that attaches the muffler to the car is broken and not the actual muffler. said it's common on maximas. he said that for $75 he can splice on a new bracket and have me on my way in a half hour. does this sound legit to you guys?
My muffler broke at the weld on the flange that connects it to the b-pipe 2 weeks after I bought my car and the dealership wouldn't fix it . I asked a couple places if they could weld it back together, but they said it was too badly damaged and recommended that I get a new muffler (ended up buying full cat-back). I've read on here that a lot of people had my problem, but not sure about what you are talking about. If you are talking about an exhaust hanger, than yea it should be really cheap to fix. If he has to weld it on, I would say $75 isn't too bad.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:06 AM

I had the exact same problem where the b pipe meets the muffler. If the broken weld is on the muffler side i would suggest checking out cattman. I think the muffler from him is about $300 , flows better, looks better and isn't very loud at all
Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 AM

i don't want anything more than a muffler though

but i'll look around and see what i can find.
get a ypipe while you're at it
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Feldman
I had the exact same problem where the b pipe meets the muffler. If the broken weld is on the muffler side i would suggest checking out cattman. I think the muffler from him is about $300 , flows better, looks better and isn't very loud at all
i don't want something that isn't very loud. i want something that's quiet.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Then just get a cheap replacement OEM muffler from Napa or something.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/product..._quietflow.asp
Old 07-11-2008, 03:01 PM

I've been to both midas and meinekee and have had better luck at midas I recently had my megan racing catback installed at midas and it was cheap. They charged me $80 and then I had some banging issues and took it back they came up with a quick easy solution of welding up a second hanger for which they charged only $50 including the $20 hanger so I think they are very reasonably priced especially when I called my mechanic who wanted to charge me $160 for just the install, but I definatly think it depends on that paticular shop seeing that they are privatly owned. But deffinatly to midas.

If you think about going cattman check out megan racing they offer a full catback for close to the same price as the cattman rear section.

http://sportcompactwarehouse.com/meg.../i-175855.aspx

Last edited by johnnyd2k2; 07-11-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 PM

You can check it out yourself - jack the car up and remove the rear passenger side wheel. You should see the problem right there. I just went through similar ordeal - in my case bracket on the muffler side rusted out and increased its internal diameter. I just bought "split flange" at the local parts store and installed it there instead of old bracket. OTOH, I'd seriously consider paying $75 instead.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Banned

goto a custom exhaust shop.
you don't need a warrenty
if you spend more then 150 for the muff + install you're getting ripped off