5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Transmission

Ok so i was wondering, is there anything to do with a 5th gen transmission (2000) to change the gear ratio on the inside, such as gears from an automatic G35 Awd would those work, basically im looking to make it faster off the line...
Old 07-12-2008, 02:42 PM

To be frank, this is a ridiculous thread. Here's a little tip. Go read up on how transmissions work. You'd realize that you can't take the gears from an auto G35 and put it in the Maximas manual transaxel.

If you want a faster car off the line, get better tires and learn how to drive better.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:02 PM

getting smaller radius of tires and wheels may help acceleration.
I think for most maxima, getting faster off the line is not a trannywise problem since the tires are already spinning like crazy when you really kick the engine.
better tires and suspension will help.

Last edited by jasonmax; 07-12-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
getting smaller radius of tires and wheels may help acceleration.
I think for most maxima, getting faster off the line is not a trannywise problem since the tires are already spinning like crazy when you really kick the engine.
better tires and suspension will help.
I was going to mention smaller wheels, but thats going to have adverse effects on his speedometer (I'm sure you know this). So I didn't mention it.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Ok first off....Im not trying to put auto gears in a manual transmission....my maxima is an auto...therefore both trannies would be auto...nice try though, and as for ratio wise, i dont want just off the line quickness. i want complete quickness, i want to change the ratio so the car has a better acceleration to top speed obviously
Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

You'd be better off trying to swap in the Altima or Maxima 5 speed automatic. FWD Transaxles and RWD transmissions are too different to be able to swap gears.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Ok first off....Im not trying to put auto gears in a manual transmission....my maxima is an auto...therefore both trannies would be auto...nice try though, and as for ratio wise, i dont want just off the line quickness. i want complete quickness, i want to change the ratio so the car has a better acceleration to top speed obviously
Increasing the overall quickness as you say is going to increase the engine speed at which you cruise on the highway. Thats going to increase your fuel consumption. Honestly the best thing to do in this situation is to sell your auto and get a stick.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 AM
wat

short answer no.

Go read about how automatics work compared to manuals and you will see why this wont work. (Im saying this possibly because you may have read about gearset swaps in manuals and thought if it was possible in your auto.)

Like Scott said look into the 5at swap or a manual swap.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:53 AM

Chopstix has the exact answer i was looking for, now getting a 5 speed auto...i can get one of those from what years altima? And what exactly is needed...transmission,trans cpu and what else? Will it fit onto a 3.0?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
No more Maximas...

Chopstix has the exact answer i was looking for, now getting a 5 speed auto...i can get one of those from what years altima? And what exactly is needed...transmission,trans cpu and what else? Will it fit onto a 3.0?
It will bolt up, but you'll never get it to work. Not without lots of time, and more importantly, money.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Getting everyone (ECU/TCM) on the same page would be a PITA.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 PM

only more power could reach your requirement. if you need better highspeed acclereation, droping your AT tranny into 3rd will give you better response.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:52 PM

I am not clear on your question? if you have a 2000 max then you have a 4sp auto trans.Do you want to change it to a 5sp auto?or you add a LSD [limited slip dif.} for better off the line grip.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
AJ~

You have an 9 year old car with a 3.0L engine, fwd, beam axle rear end, 4 doors, and how many miles on it?

You would be better off detailing it well and selling it for top dollar. Then buy a newer, faster car. 3 series, Infniniti G, Lexus IS, etc, etc, etc.

Get a car that is more sophisticated in its design and construction.

Look for a CPO lease trade in to save a bunch. Let the first driver take the depreciation.

Think rationally: El Maximo is a nice car, but what you brought up in your initial post means lots of money and time, and when you are all done you still have an 9 year old fwd family sedan. If you are going to go that far, consider getting something that is simply faster to begin with. G sedan/ coupe if you are a Nissan guy.

-AJ