5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

H3 Hid Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 AM

H3 Hid Kit

So I've done many searches but am still unsure I want to upgrade my fogs to HID but I dont know much about the kits. There are millions of sites + ebay crap can someone point me in the direction of a good reliable kit for under $200. Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Turbo'd Saab

The ones sold here on the org in the Group deals/sponsors section are good.

FYI, some one is going to come in here and tell you that these are illegal.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 AM

yea according to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, its illegal to install HID bulbs, in a Halogen housing. Hence our H3 housings are all Halogen....Me personally

the NHTSA can go kick damn rocks, i dont give a damn, ive got an H3 HID kit installed in my Fogs.....

oh another note, learn how to search, members are going to come in here and flame you for that
Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 AM

Search imo.. (I beat Sooner!! =D)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 AM

I did search but couldn't find the info I was looking for... thats why I posted this question. I know about the Helios kit but I don't want to spend that much cash + that is the only name I came across. I'm looking for a reliable kit that is plug and play with built in ignitors so I dont have to wire too much. So anyone have any other kits installed and could you point me to the best brand/seller to get them from.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...og-lights.html

thats the guy selling them here .. he has a great rep
Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 AM

i just bought some from ebay that friends were paying 130shipped for i paid 75shipped...received them in 2days.

has the one year warranty and all
Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
You embarrass me.

JohnnyD, there are several options here on the org. I had 6k H3s (Helios) before they burnt out. They used to be available here via Group Buy until the vendor left with no remorse.

Operatic has a GB (Czerkas linked you) and a site selling HID kits for IIRC $130 shipped overnight with decent quality. My friend has them however, the color for the 6000K is not to my taste.

I recently found DDM tuning, a wholesale site that BMW guys swear by, and they offer HID kits for $75 + shipping, with lifetime warranty.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html
Old 07-15-2008, 01:19 PM

I saw this http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...og-lights.html but they never responded to my e-mail...eh they must not want my $$$... customer service goes a long way in my book.

Thanks zero2sixtyz I think I'll go with that so do you know if its plug and play or will I need to wire it up. I'm hoping it will just plug into my factory harness...nice and easy.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:28 PM

hidkitswarehouse.com is where i bought mine from. i bought the head and fog lights.
220$$ shipped for both of them.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by maxima.713
hidkitswarehouse.com is where i bought mine from. i bought the head and fog lights.
220$$ shipped for both of them.
I think I'm either retarded or their site is difficult to navigate I cant find anything I'm looking for...am I retarded or what?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by johnnyd2k2
I saw this http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...og-lights.html but they never responded to my e-mail...eh they must not want my $$$... customer service goes a long way in my book.

Thanks zero2sixtyz I think I'll go with that so do you know if its plug and play or will I need to wire it up. I'm hoping it will just plug into my factory harness...nice and easy.
In all fairness, you can go to 3Bspec.com, which is Operatic's site and enter the discount code "maxima" for the $130 shipped price.

I haven't had experience with the DDMTuning kit yet, as I am ordering my kit + D2R bulbs next week. The kit from Operatics site does require a power wire to the battery, etc IIRC. The Helios kit just plugged in and was ready to go, so there are differences between HID kits. Hope this helps at all.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Ok I figured it out but is h3 mini the same as any h3 bulb or is it totaly different.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
In all fairness, you can go to 3Bspec.com, which is Operatic's site and enter the discount code "maxima" for the $130 shipped price.

I haven't had experience with the DDMTuning kit yet, as I am ordering my kit + D2R bulbs next week. The kit from Operatics site does require a power wire to the battery, etc IIRC. The Helios kit just plugged in and was ready to go, so there are differences between HID kits. Hope this helps at all.
Thanks it does I want a plug and play kit my wiring skills are terrible plus I want to keep my engine bay clean no unnessacery wires hanging around in there.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM

You guys must have a lot of fog down there (States)...
Old 07-15-2008, 05:51 PM

Ok I figured it out but is h3 mini the same as any h3 bulb or is it totaly different.
get the h3 mini, it will fit properly.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KYellowMax

nah thats why we are making our 'foglights', worthless in the fog.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 PM

So I think I've misunderstood what plug and play means I found a how to and found that I will need to wire the original non hid connector to the hid kit ie cut it off and attatch in place of the 2 prong looking things on the hid kit. Is this how I should do it or does anyone have any other sugestions. So what does Plug and Play mean exactly cuz I was under the inpression that the hid kit would plug into my factory connector.
Check Out The HOW TO
http://www.moodym.com/maxima/tech/fog-hid.html
BTW I've used a few of these how to's so special thanks goes out to audtatious
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
yea according to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, its illegal to install HID bulbs,

the NHTSA can go kick damn rocks, i dont give a damn, ive got an H3 HID kit installed in my Fogs.....
hate to tell you this, but the NHTSA doesn't make laws or regulations. They're just a federal agency meant to promote driving safety. The Department of Transportation is the responsible agency for carry out motor vehicle regulations

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
oh another note, learn how to search, members are going to come in here and flame you for that

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
The ones sold here on the org in the Group deals/sponsors section are good.

FYI, some one is going to come in here and tell you that these are illegal.
These are illegal.

Originally Posted by Double0GLE
Search imo.. (I beat Sooner!! =D)

I did search but couldn't find the info I was looking for... thats why I posted this question. I know about the Helios kit but I don't want to spend that much cash + that is the only name I came across. I'm looking for a reliable kit that is plug and play with built in ignitors so I dont have to wire too much. So anyone have any other kits installed and could you point me to the best brand/seller to get them from.
If you're so worried about spending cash, maybe you shouldn't get them at all. I mean, hundreds of dollars for a cosmetic mod

Originally Posted by Y2KYellowMax
HID fog lights are WORSE in fog than pretty much any other kind of light. Best light for fog is yellow. The whiter the color, the crappier for using in fog. A 6k HID fog light is a $200 cosmetic mod....
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
hate to tell you this, but the NHTSA doesn't make laws or regulations. They're just a federal agency meant to promote driving safety. The Department of Transportation is the responsible agency for carry out motor vehicle regulations
YES!, you are absolutely right, my mistake.....DOT regulates what lighting applications are street legal, and applicable

HID fog lights are WORSE in fog than pretty much any other kind of light. Best light for fog is yellow. The whiter the color, the crappier for using in fog. A 6k HID fog light is a $200 cosmetic mod....
This is true.....Im getting ready to swap my 8k fogs, for a pair of 3k yellows
Old 07-16-2008, 05:31 PM

[quote=irish44j;

HID fog lights are WORSE in fog than pretty much any other kind of light. Best light for fog is yellow. The whiter the color, the crappier for using in fog. A 6k HID fog light is a $200 cosmetic mod....[/quote]

I'm not getting them cuz of the fog it's rarely foggy round here I want them for night driving I want to light up the road better when I'm not using my highs... plus it looks much better... part practical part cosmetic.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 PM

I recently found DDM tuning, a wholesale site that BMW guys swear by, and they offer HID kits for $75 + shipping, with lifetime warranty.
I ordered their kit $126 shipped overnight. I'll let everyone know the outcome when I get em in.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Cletus

actually....NHSTA is part of DOT and is the part that makes regulations.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is an agency of the Executive Branch of the U.S. Government, part of the Department of Transportation.

As part of its activities, NHTSA is charged with writing and enforcing safety, theft-resistance, and fuel economy standards for motor vehicles.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108) regulates all automotive lighting, signalling and reflective devices in the United States. Like all other Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, FMVSS 108 is administered by the United States Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:12 AM
You embarrass me.

I ordered their kit $126 shipped overnight. I'll let everyone know the outcome when I get em in.
Congrats, post up how they turn out! To add onto the rest of the thread, HID fogs are illegal and not effective in fog, etc. Make sure you realize this, because if you didn't before, you do now.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Finally finished here are the pics lookin real nice

Old 07-19-2008, 12:05 PM

get the matching d2r's
Old 07-19-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by majesticmaxima
get the matching d2r's
Deffinatly that's next on my list
Old 07-19-2008, 07:18 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
actually....NHSTA is part of DOT and is the part that makes regulations.

I'm so not coming to your wedding

Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 AM

JohnnyD, there are several options here on the org. I had 6k H3s (Helios) before they burnt out. They used to be available here via Group Buy until the vendor left with no remorse.

Operatic has a GB (Czerkas linked you) and a site selling HID kits for IIRC $130 shipped overnight with decent quality. My friend has them however, the color for the 6000K is not to my taste.

Has anyone bought from these guys before.
"http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html"

if so how did it go. How are the HID KITS. Also, they claim life time warrenty. When somthing happens do you send the item back to them or? Are these kits coming from China?

Thanks

P.S.
johnnyd2k2, what temp color are those Fog lights. Really nice by the way.

Last edited by playtoy; 07-23-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by playtoy
Has anyone bought from these guys before.
"http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html"

if so how did it go. How are the HID KITS. Also, they claim life time warrenty. When somthing happens do you send the item back to them or? Are these kits coming from China?

Thanks

P.S.
johnnyd2k2, what temp color are those Fog lights. Really nice by the way.
No problems but my own stupidy forgeting to put the wires through to dust cap before soldering them together TWICE! They told me to send them back and they would send me new ones if I ever had a problem the sales reps are great plus great prices I just ordered the matching 6000K D2R bulbs for $40 shipped you cant beat that even if they only last a year. As for Chinese parts mos def I called about my d2r cuz they were back ordered and he told me he couldn't track the shippment to their warehouse cuz the site was in Chinese...lol but who cares they work and they will replace any malfunctioning parts so you got nothin to lose. Deffinatly recomend ddm AKA Apexcone awsome cust service. If you order drop my name maybe they'll give me a discount next order Jon D Uxbridge MA THANKS.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Here are some output pics sorry they r small

OFF

ON

Last edited by johnnyd2k2; 01-18-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Updated Pics with matching D2Rs

They aren't that blue just a crappy camera

Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 PM
You embarrass me.

Mine should be here on Monday!!!!