5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Location of lower valve to bleed clutch on 2000 Max?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 AM

Location of lower valve to bleed clutch on 2000 Max?

So, my clutch had no feel today and the reservoir is completely empty. Hoping that I can fix it with just a refill and bleed of the system to remove air, I need to know where the lower bleed valve is. The top one matches the diagram at motorvate.ca, but his is a 4th gen and mine seems differently placed on my 2000. Does anybody know where the lower one is...?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

On the slave cylinder
Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
On the slave cylinder
Do you happen to have pics of where that is? I have Haynes out for this and 4th gen (despite being diff) and all it talks about is a single bleed point. I do see a metal pipe from the reservoir (whichever cylinder that is--the empty one!) that goes up above it in height and rests a foot in front of it in front of the left strut, but it's all I see.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:03 PM

The slave cyl. is on the engine, right by the bellhousing, in the front, on the driver's side behind the exhaust manifold. If your clutch leaked down, then 99% chance it's either a leaking flex line or a leaky slave cylinder, and it needs to be replaced. Probably best to just do both at the same time, since it costs about $50 or $60 for both parts. Get the slave cylinder at Advance Auto Parts, and order the flex line from RT Performance - listed on this site in the Group Buy forum. You will need to take your battery out and remove the intake ducting, and then unbolt the air cleaner box to get it out of the way. Once you do this, it's an easy 10-minute job to change the slave cylinder and flex line. By the way, you just need the short flex line from RT Performance - not the long one that goes all the way from the slave to the master cylinder.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by vinco
The slave cyl. is on the engine, right by the bellhousing, in the front, on the driver's side behind the exhaust manifold. If your clutch leaked down, then 99% chance it's either a leaking flex line or a leaky slave cylinder, and it needs to be replaced. Probably best to just do both at the same time, since it costs about $50 or $60 for both parts. Get the slave cylinder at Advance Auto Parts, and order the flex line from RT Performance - listed on this site in the Group Buy forum. You will need to take your battery out and remove the intake ducting, and then unbolt the air cleaner box to get it out of the way. Once you do this, it's an easy 10-minute job to change the slave cylinder and flex line. By the way, you just need the short flex line from RT Performance - not the long one that goes all the way from the slave to the master cylinder.
Thanks, I've found it and there does seem to be some sweating in the area. That doesn't sound like too major a job if that's what it turns into...

EDIT: Do I need to get one from RT Performance? I hate to wait for online parts with the car completely unusable. Would advance sell something or maxima stealership (unless it charges outrageous prices for the tube--obviously I'd get the spare cylinder from a parts store, still).

Last edited by SkoorbMax; 07-15-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 AM

where is the lower valve for the 02-03? thx
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by bladerunr
where is the lower valve for the 02-03? thx
!!!!!!!!!!!!