5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air Ram-Intake Idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Air Ram-Intake Idea

I dont know if anyone has ever attempted this but here it goes. So, one day i was browsing through the jdmcivic community out of boredom and came across this picture:

I noticed his passenger headlight was converted into an air ram intake.. so i said "hmmm.. .." I've seen some people take their whole headlight out for auto-x and i wanted that cold air benefit but for it to be street legal.

So.. I shuffled around my basement and BANG! found an old junk drivers side headlight. With a little cut here, snip there, snap, pry, cuss, pulled out the dremel, cuss, and snapped everywhere.. this was created:

A completely gutted out headlight with a ginormous hole in it. I will get better pics but basicaly, I gutted out the headlight portion and kept the blinker portion so i can still drive it on the streets at daytime. In the hole through the lens is a big 4" round hole, where the headlight bulb use to mount, cutted out. Behind that 4" hole is my intake.

I dub it.. the V-Ram Intake.. lmfao.

Its not finished yet realy. I still want to wet sand the blinker portion of the lens and reclear, then paint the edges around the hole black. As for filling in the hole to shape it out into a nice funnel, I've tried some different materials but havent found a good material to use yet. Can anyone give some advice on this? Something easy to fill in and shape preferably.

As for butt-dyno or performance gains.. i have no clue. On a hot summer day around 95 degrees out, the V-ram realy helps out. On a cool summer night around 78 degrees out, i do feel throttle response is much tighter. Though, the faster your driving the more you benefit from the ram. I can also hear my intake growl and whistle alot louder now.

As to why i did this? Simple.. just cause i can muahah. I wanted to try something new. I thought, instead of cutting the sheet metal on my car, which i cant replace, for a true cold air intake, why not cut a junk headlight that i can replace. Switching out the headlights is cake too, takes me no more than 5 min.s to do it. I only drive this during the day and at dusk and not everyday, only on the weekends or my days off work.

This is my intake setup for those of you who may wonder:

It is a Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake that i bought off ebay for $200. I added an extended mid-pipe right after the TB so the intake elbow was located right at the shock tower, pushing the filter right right behind my headlight. To have the filter there, i had to relocate the battery sideways (borrowed this trick off an orger).

Il update with better pics and progress on Saturday.

Last edited by s1mply_v; 07-16-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Toolie

why not replace the fog light and do the same idea. Then you can drive at night. you can get a 4" tube in there
Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 AM

Yea i thought about that, but then i would have to cut the sheetmetal on my car. Even so, the tube that i would route through there would come up from underneath where my MAF is at and not at the filter directly. If i were to figure out a different route for a tube from the foglight, i believe the bends would be pretty sharp and cause turbulence for a NA motor, so the work to figure out a route isnt worth the small difference that would make. (getting a little too technical all over an intake lol)

Whereas the hole in the headlight works best for me because it's right where my filter is located, it catches alot of air, its short and to the point using no other tubes and what not, and i think it just looks cool 'cause its different. lol.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

Jime did this before most of us had a license.

And srsly, 'out of boredom'?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Jime did this before most of us had a license.

And srsly, 'out of boredom'?

No new ideas here.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
WSH for teh cup

Originally Posted by mtrai760
No new ideas here.
His is new because he left the headlight in place
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
dot dot dot ...

Non-functional headlight. I could just see Jime doing some glass cutting just to keep it in there
Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why not just put a hood scoop just above the head light instead?

Yeah.....that would be the coolest....

It would look great and add at least 43 hp!

and you would still have working headlights FTW!
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM

i saw a BMW at the track last weekend that had this mod.. i didnt see a filter though, which was kinda weird
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Why not just put a hood scoop just above the head light instead?

Yeah.....that would be the coolest....

It would look great and add at least 43 hp!

and you would still have working headlights FTW!
Lol i was expecting comments like this pretty soon..

I honestly never saw that pic of the 4th gen before, but watever, i drive a 5th gen. And, okay, maybe i worded the title wrong and its not a new idea.. but if its not, then who else got ***** to post a whole thread on it for a 5th gen? i havent seen one unless someone can prove me wrong.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

What do ***** have to do with it?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 AM
WSH for teh cup

and you would still have a working headlight FTW!
fixed for you

working headlight and 2 working blinkers

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
i drive a 5th gen. .
I'm sorry were you talking?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lol i was expecting comments like this pretty soon..

I honestly never saw that pic of the 4th gen before, but watever, i drive a 5th gen. And, okay, maybe i worded the title wrong and its not a new idea.. but if its not, then who else got ***** to post a whole thread on it for a 5th gen? i havent seen one unless someone can prove me wrong.
Just to clarify, I definitely wasnt knocking you. Just kidding around. I think its great you are playing around with mods and stuff.

My personal opinion is that the hole in the headlight looks really ghetto on a pretty sweet looking max. I dont think the gain (very small if any) is worth making your car look like that.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM

looks photoshopped to me. . .
Old 07-17-2008, 11:53 AM

hmmm, i was thinking about doing this when i race next (not cutting, just removing the entire headlight once i get to the track) i think it would compliment my relocated battery and
Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM

new heat shield for my short ram (WAI) nicely

Edit: WTF? partial post FTL
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Cletus

running it down to the fog opening would be better
Old 07-17-2008, 12:05 PM
dot dot dot ...

I still don't buy into the CAI / fender / fog / head deal. If someone can show me IAT logs, then maybe.

As far as location and airflow, sure I'd believe that it flows a little more air. Enough to call it ram air, no.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM

you can call anything a ram air, its all the same unless youre doing really high speeds. as for the temp change, its there. when i had to put my stock intake back on for the check, i also had to rotate the battery back to stock. im a little lazy and didnt feel like putting it back to the CAI position, so i didnt. i made some passes at ~85F. then, i decided it was time so i rotated it back and hacked together a little heat shield to combine with the hole in my fender (same intake, just shielded from heat and a way for cold air to get to it). then i went to the track and the temp was ~85F and similar RH and baro. the passes i made were .1 faster and higher MPH with a bad (2.22 vs the usual 2.17) 60ft so...all in all, it really cant HURT unless you go to a full length CAI tube. keeping the same intake and providing potentially cooler air, why not?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sunstream453
you can call anything a ram air, its all the same unless youre doing really high speeds. as for the temp change, its there. when i had to put my stock intake back on for the check, i also had to rotate the battery back to stock. im a little lazy and didnt feel like putting it back to the CAI position, so i didnt. i made some passes at ~85F. then, i decided it was time so i rotated it back and hacked together a little heat shield to combine with the hole in my fender (same intake, just shielded from heat and a way for cold air to get to it). then i went to the track and the temp was ~85F and similar RH and baro. the passes i made were .1 faster and higher MPH with a bad (2.22 vs the usual 2.17) 60ft so...all in all, it really cant HURT unless you go to a full length CAI tube. keeping the same intake and providing potentially cooler air, why not?
I can log my IAT sensor, so that's why. Also, it could have been that your ECT was actually cooler being that the car was sitting to cool off.

But whatever, I still rock my stock airbox so
Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Cletus

"ram air" was a marketing scheme by pontiac
Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

No way ... get out!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Cletus

No way ... get out!!!!
true story

Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 PM

not sure i understand that. if you can log your IAT and youve tried if then you oughta know. if you havent tried then you should be trying. As for the ECT, the runs were done in really similar conditions, after sitting for ~30 mins and the engine temp for the runs was always at normal operating temp. trust me, you can feel the difference as it pulls from 6500-7100. i was short shifting the week before because it wasnt making power there (pulled timing problem, heat) and the time with the battery turned it pulled way better. just my experience, FWIW.

and yes, believing your car has mad ram-air FTL
Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
dot dot dot ...

not sure i understand that. if you can log your IAT and youve tried if then you oughta know. if you havent tried then you should be trying. As for the ECT, the runs were done in really similar conditions, after sitting for ~30 mins and the engine temp for the runs was always at normal operating temp. trust me, you can feel the difference as it pulls from 6500-7100. i was short shifting the week before because it wasnt making power there (pulled timing problem, heat) and the time with the battery turned it pulled way better. just my experience, FWIW.

FTL
I don't have a CAI though, that's why I haven't compared. I base my opinion that once the car starts moving faster than 10 MPH, the IAT is 1-3ºF above ambient, so not much room for cooling there.

This is with so called HAI / WAI's that I use.

The ECT can range 50ºF (160ºF - ~210ºF) from the time the needle actually moves above the 'normal' mark. So if you're basing that as your 'operating temp'

My car reads greater airflow when the ECT is below 170ºF even if the ambient temp has risen.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
"ram air" was a marketing scheme by pontiac
It wasn't any more of a marketing scheme than a CAI is.... thank god for The Fast and Furious!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
It wasn't any more of a marketing scheme than a CAI is.... thank god for The Fast and Furious!
a "ram air" does nothing more than any normal intake...poor trans-am people fell for that
Old 07-17-2008, 01:37 PM

exactly. but comparing it to a CAI is certainly FTL. some cars have shown good gains with CAI, just not really a maxima/nissan kind of thing for w/e reason
Old 07-17-2008, 01:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

exactly. but comparing it to a CAI is certainly FTL. some cars have shown good gains with CAI, just not really a maxima/nissan kind of thing for w/e reason
I've seen some insane gains from them on other vehicles, the Maxima just isn't one of them.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 PM

Just to clarify, I definitely wasnt knocking you. Just kidding around. I think its great you are playing around with mods and stuff.

My personal opinion is that the hole in the headlight looks really ghetto on a pretty sweet looking max. I dont think the gain (very small if any) is worth making your car look like that.
No worries, i dont take anyones comments to the heart. If i were to slap on a scoop, then it'd be as badass as a silver 5th gen I saw in the Great Pic Thread lol Your opinion is appreciated.

But i still want to finish it and need help finding some material thats easy to fill in and shape a sort of funnel on the inside of the headlight so it wont look straight ghetto.

I'm sorry were you talking?

Still am. Never seen that pic. So i was wrong again, sue me. Still think mine looks better than a whole missing headlight; it does the same thing plus the benefit of the turn signal. So if the Maxima doesnt show alot of gains from CAI/WAI/headlight/foglight/OSCAI/GAB and what not, its still something right.

Who is this Jime anyways?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Cletus

Still think mine looks better than a whole missing headlight; it does the same thing plus the benefit of the turn signal.
for all the left turns at the drag strip?

and on the street, whats the point of having a blinker with no headlight
Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Geez guys he was just trying to show some creativity. He may not be the first but he tried something.

Just for an FYI Jime is a 4th gen 3.5 NA about to break 11s on the 1/4 and he's auto
Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
for all the left turns at the drag strip?

and on the street, whats the point of having a blinker with no headlight
The point of getting colder air

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
Geez guys he was just trying to show some creativity. He may not be the first but he tried something.

Just for an FYI Jime is a 4th gen 3.5 NA about to break 11s on the 1/4 and he's auto
Thanks. And wow thats a hurdle; see.. now i know thanks to DaveVQ rather than him just knockin me. And you wonder why theres so many members on this board but not alot show face or some creativity.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 PM

The point of getting colder air

Thanks. And wow thats a hurdle; see.. now i know thanks to DaveVQ rather than him just knockin me. And you wonder why theres so many members on this board but not alot show face or some creativity.

^^^^^^^^^^^^he is speaking the truth guys^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM
retired moderator

Best way:

Run a Place Racing or Cattman CAI (if you can find one ). When "at the track" pop the sidemarker light for cooler air to get in (though the PR CAI is already sucking cool air from the wheel well).

"Ram Air" is a fallacy when it comes to cars driven at speeds under about 100mph or more....it's all marketing. Ram effect only comes into play at excessive speeds (think Salt Flats runs, etc..)
Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 PM

Yea i know, "Ram" techinicaly isnt the right word, but i had to describe it somehow lol So.. this just gives me an excuse to drive 100mph+ just to see what it does ahah.

About finding the Cattman CAI, forget it, hence the WR Intake.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM
retired moderator

Yea i know, "Ram" techinicaly isnt the right word, but i had to describe it somehow lol So.. this just gives me an excuse to drive 100mph+ just to see what it does ahah.

About finding the Cattman CAI, forget it, hence the WR Intake.
it would be simple to make your own copy of the PR/Cattman setup. All you need to do is have some tubing bent. That's all it really is.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM

I agree, but im just iffy about cutting hardbody metal.

I know its in a location where theres no structural importance, but i just dont like cutting out pieces i cant put back into my car. I would feel like im hacking it up (not counting my missing grille) lol

Quick Reply: Air Ram-Intake Idea