5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Air Ram-Intake Idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM

screw all you guys!!! i took my hood off... more RAM air than any of you guys get. whats up now ?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM

the point of not getting getting the PR/cattman CAI is to keep a short intake (although he obviously hasnt done that but he should) keeping a short intake but providing the same temperature air to it via removing the headlight and heat shielding will give you better results than a long tube design, for this car at least
Old 07-17-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by dineth00i30
screw all you guys!!! i took my hood off... more RAM air than any of you guys get. whats up now ?
lmfao.. your getting a **** load of drag with it.

Originally Posted by sunstream453
the point of not getting getting the PR/cattman CAI is to keep a short intake (although he obviously hasnt done that but he should) keeping a short intake but providing the same temperature air to it via removing the headlight and heat shielding will give you better results than a long tube design, for this car at least
Can you give more of an explanation why shorter tube over longer tube? If im getting cooler air, would that realy matter? Or are you trying to point out that the shorter tube would take more advantage of the, not technicaly ram but, more cooler air from the headlight just because of its shorter air travel distance?

I have a velocity stack in my filter BTW if that makes any difference.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM
retired moderator

I'm not sure what you think is the advantage of a "short intake" (as there is not an advantage).

As someone (me) who has used several different intakes (including GAB, OSCAI, hybrid short-ram, standard short-ram (Frankencar), full CAI (PR), and hybrid CAI (modified PR)....I can tell you that the PR setup is superior to all of them in performance througout the rpm range. The short rams have nice gains up top, but low-end suffers significantly.

Anyhow, there are hundreds of threads discussing this already so let's not get into the discussion here
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 PM

it seems that for our cars, a shorter tube will make more power. obviously, this is a little offset when you consider that most short tube designs only take in hot air. however, by using a short tube, heat shielding and provide a strong source of cold air, its like having a CAI that doesnt have the inherent losses of a long tube. its not about your filter, so the velocity stack doesnt matter, its the distance and bends from the filter to TB that matters. for reference, my intake is something like 15" from TB to tip of air filter, and it gets cold air (outside air, often not cold these days) just like a cold air intake does, because i have a lot of heat reflecting material blocking the radiant heat from engine, plus an outside air source in the fender, and next track day...a missing headlight to see WTF's up
Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by s1mply_v
I agree, but im just iffy about cutting hardbody metal.

I know its in a location where theres no structural importance, but i just dont like cutting out pieces i cant put back into my car. I would feel like im hacking it up (not counting my missing grille) lol
even if you take the intake out, you can't see the hole since the opening is underneath the battery tray. If anything, having the hole there even without the PR setup would be advantageous as it would allow more cool air into the engine bay.

so really there's no downside except for the fact that it's a bit of a PITA drilling the hole in that location...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
As someone (me) who has used several different intakes (including GAB, OSCAI, hybrid short-ram, standard short-ram (Frankencar), full CAI (PR), and hybrid CAI (modified PR)....I can tell you that the PR setup is superior to all of them in performance througout the rpm range. The short rams have nice gains up top, but low-end suffers significantly.
the reason you have yet to see reasonable short rams at low RPM is because you havent really seen one that has a good source of outside air. its probly not as good down low as a long tube, but who cares about down low when you want to go fast? when im racing i might spend .4seconds "down low" and 13 or so where the short ram is better. add cold air to the short ram and youve got the goods. considering that i pull low 2.1 60's on potenzas with ~70k on them, i dont think im missing much down low
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
wat

Good idea, I have thought of improving jime's when i saw his. But with it more like the old white top secret supra car where they made the high beam into an intake opening. And would do it on an 02-03 headlight if i found one in a junkyard. So you still have your lights and etc just missing a highbeam, and if it really irks you that much get some bi-xenons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../Headlight.jpg

But honestly, its just an air intake. Theres better things to be spending your time on.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 PM

^^^^ absolutely, messing with the intake is the most time/hp thing you can do. if youre lucky, you will pick up 5hp over the crap intake you had. if you already had a good intake, then well, maybe you can get 1hp...
Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
even if you take the intake out, you can't see the hole since the opening is underneath the battery tray. If anything, having the hole there even without the PR setup would be advantageous as it would allow more cool air into the engine bay.

so really there's no downside except for the fact that it's a bit of a PITA drilling the hole in that location...
This is true. Il give it some better thought. If i could find a nice big drill bit to just cut a clean 4" hole il definitely give it some thought.

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
Good idea, I have thought of improving jime's when i saw his. But with it more like the old white top secret supra car where they made the high beam into an intake opening. And would do it on an 02-03 headlight if i found one in a junkyard. So you still have your lights and etc just missing a highbeam, and if it really irks you that much get some bi-xenons.

But honestly, its just an air intake. Theres better things to be spending your time on.
I knew i remember seeing a Supra have one. If you can do that with an 03 headlight then I give you props. Now you make me want to find a beat 03 headlight and try that instead lol

But first things first, i have to finish up mine and il be working on it some more today.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 PM

^^Knowing that the supra has the turbo(s) on the passenger side of the car thus meaning the intake is over there. Why is the hole on the drivers side headlight? All there is the throttle body with an intercooler pipe on it.

But yea cool headlight project. Keep it up.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM

i forgot to mention this before, and i probly should have considering i think its key for torque on a short intake. the hemholtz resonator is useful. in my experience, having used intakes with and without the resonator, it retains a bunch of the torque lost by using a berk/fc style midpipe and also makes the power up top that they make too, within probly 1-3 HP
Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM

^^A helmholtz resonator is meant for sound tuning, (reducing intake noise) and nothing more. I have never seen an aftermarket air intake with one, only stock from the factory.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:33 PM
retired moderator

the reason you have yet to see reasonable short rams at low RPM is because you havent really seen one that has a good source of outside air. its probly not as good down low as a long tube, but who cares about down low when you want to go fast? when im racing i might spend .4seconds "down low" and 13 or so where the short ram is better. add cold air to the short ram and youve got the goods. considering that i pull low 2.1 60's on potenzas with ~70k on them, i dont think im missing much down low
Yeah you really told me :

EDIT: Paragraphs removed. not going to keep arguing this, as it's been argued a million times before.

--

On a note related to your 'time comparison' perhaps you should compare the time you spend driving your car in low and midrange on city streets (99.9% of the time) and the time you spend at the top of the rpm range at the dragstrip (0.1% of the time). The long-tube CAIs (NOT INCLUDING INJEN) are FAR superior for overall power thoughout the band during daily driving, which is why whenever one comes up for sale (rarely), it is sold pretty much immediately. Can't say the same for short-rams...

Last edited by irish44j; 07-18-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bjs470
^^A helmholtz resonator is meant for sound tuning, (reducing intake noise) and nothing more. I have never seen an aftermarket air intake with one, only stock from the factory.
Helmholtz resonators are built for sound tuning and/or torque in vehicles.

I had lots of intake setups and had the stock resonator followed by maf and apexi filter. and there is certainly a noise reduction and torque increase down low. As i understand the resonator stores air ready to use and changes pressures to increase torque.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:13 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by reeloop
Helmholtz resonators are built for sound tuning and/or torque in vehicles.

I had lots of intake setups and had the stock resonator followed by maf and apexi filter. and there is certainly a noise reduction and torque increase down low. As i understand the resonator stores air ready to use and changes pressures to increase torque.
Under that same theory, my current setup goes along those lines. I actually kept the upper resonater (the small one) with the PR downtube. This setup is superior to the full PR setup including the midpipe IMO

you can kind of see it in this pic:

Old 07-18-2008, 08:44 PM

there is no upper and lower hemholtz, what you have there is the whole thing as far as i can tell.

when you say that the short rams dont sell, are you saying there are a lot of filters just sitting there for sale? cause if i sold my intake that would be the only non-stock item...obviously a used air filter isnt a hot commodity.

PS: ill trade a little daily power for extra while racing any day. i really dont miss the 3 HP that ive supposedly lost when im driving in daily stuff, its not like i need it there anyway. id rather be slow around town and fast at the strip than fast around town and slow at the strip. w/e though, i guess thats for another thread you say.

oh, forgot to say, people with ITB's would beg to differ that a long tube is better. that is to say, people with race cars would beg to differ
Old 07-18-2008, 08:51 PM

exactly. but comparing it to a CAI is certainly FTL. some cars have shown good gains with CAI, just not really a maxima/nissan kind of thing for w/e reason

The car needs a reason to need the extra incoming air for a CAI to make any real noticeable gains.

Example my heads/cam/intake Z28 definitely makes use of it's CAI. You can hear it "sucking" when I walk in front of the car. Ignore that slight ticking that you hear, when I took this video I was trying to figure out what the ticking was, turned out to be a loose torque converter bolt.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 PM
retired moderator

there is no upper and lower hemholtz, what you have there is the whole thing as far as i can tell.
now you're really splitting hairs.....the reference is to the small upper resonator (still there) and the chambered airbox (not there). This is a common reference here in the MAXIMA community and you're about the only person on this forum who doesn't seem to know what I mean.

when you say that the short rams dont sell, are you saying there are a lot of filters just sitting there for sale? cause if i sold my intake that would be the only non-stock item...obviously a used air filter isnt a hot commodity.
The reference was to the classifieds (again, I thought that was implicit in the statement). Go try and find somewhere where a PR intake is for sale (or a Cattman)...they are snatched up immediately. Berks, Frankencars, JWTs, etc are not so quick to sell (though they will sell fairly fast as well). There's a reason for that.

PS: ill trade a little daily power for extra while racing any day. i really dont miss the 3 HP that ive supposedly lost when im driving in daily stuff, its not like i need it there anyway. id rather be slow around town and fast at the strip than fast around town and slow at the strip. w/e though, i guess thats for another thread you say.
if you want to discuss drag tactics, we have a whole subforum here for those discussions. The generation forums generally lean toward street driving, since it's what 99% of the members are doing with their "mods." Again, I thought that was implicit in these kinds of discussions, but clearly I need to be more specific when you're around.

oh, forgot to say, people with ITB's would beg to differ that a long tube is better. that is to say, people with race cars would beg to differ
I guess you got me beat.

But what do I know, I just crew for an ITS RX7 and an SSM Miata team and run Solo2 E-Prepared and SoloI C-Modified.....

Oh, and none of them have "short-ram" intakes....although I guess you could consider twin K&N platters on twin SU HS6's a "short filter" setup

"people with race cars" say "FAIL like a Miata with a wild turkey through the windshield at 100mph"

Last edited by irish44j; 07-18-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 PM

you fail to get the meaning of all the posts so far, so...

Old 07-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Cletus

if only we had a mod who would clean up 5th gen