5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 SE Maxima with 117K mile in need of service...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 AM

02 SE Maxima with 117K mile in need of service...

The engine is idling a bit rough and I'm getting some engine vibration in the car cabin.
When the car is cold and I start it it feels like something is loose in the engine, but I only feel it when the car is sitting for a while.
The suspension feels awful, but in particular the right front suspension. When I go over bumps something sounds loose as well.
I have this constant wheel vibration at 60mph and above. Brand new tires have been rotated and balanced a number of times and they can't seem to find the problem. I actually had some brake work done and the vibration started afterwards. The people who replaced my tires said that a peice was missing from the brake assemby so I went back to get it fixed and the vibration stopped. Had the tires rotated at the next oil change and the vibration started again.
Looks like a have small radiator fluid leak around the top seals. Looks like I can easily replace the radiator myself, but want to get recomendations.

The last time the car was serviced was around 105K. I had all the fluids replaced. Shortly after I came down with the radiator leak and a power steering leak which evently caused me to replace the the power steering pump.

I've always taken the car in for regular maintenance, but now it's starting to nickle and dime me on a regular basis.

I need some recomendations around the above mentioned problems so I can have some idea when I take it in for repair. Second, I need a service center outside the dealer that specializes in Maximas. I live in the Atlanta area, specifically in the NW Atlanta, Cobb County.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:38 PM

Did you change the plugs at the 105k service that may help with the idle issues. You say the vibration started after you had your brakes done you may have goten a bad rotor sometimes if they are cheap ones they arent balanced and can cause vibration especialy where you had your tires rotated and balanced, or it could be a tie rod or wheel bearing that would account for the sounds from the suspension. Jack up the car and wiggle the wheele in and out if there is any play then its either a tie rod or wheel bearing if its stiff with no play then I have know idea what it could be.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM

do you notice the vibration on the front end? in the steering wheel? does it do it more or less when you accelerate or braking? My 03 SE has exactly same mileage as yours and I'm working on replacing my front left drive axle this weekend. I noticed the inner cv joint had play in it from under the car. during troubleshooting I also jacked up the front end and ran the front wheels with the engine on, tires off, turn the steering wheel as I discovered the rotor's thickness varied as seen from the side as it's spinning with engine rpm of 1K so the combo of axle and rotor was the cause for my highway vibration .. . good luck