5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Few questions regarding Exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 PM

Few questions regarding Exhaust..

Ok, well my baffles inside my muffler and rattling around, so i want to replace my exhaust with a cat back system but do NOT want that ricey sound,i prefer using a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler, but do they sell an aftermarket pipe between the cat and muffler? If so who makes it and what would the increases in sound and power be? Also a hi flow cat decently priced would be nice to get also,preferably one with a spot for an o2 sensor already.Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks
Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Ok, well my baffles inside my muffler and rattling around, so i want to replace my exhaust with a cat back system but do NOT want that ricey sound,i prefer using a flowmaster or magnaflow muffler, but do they sell an aftermarket pipe between the cat and muffler? If so who makes it and what would the increases in sound and power be? Also a hi flow cat decently priced would be nice to get also,preferably one with a spot for an o2 sensor already.Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks
If I were you ...I'd find a wrecked 5th gen Maxima and call it the day! Are you sure it's your muffler and not some rocks trapped on top the muffler heatshield between and the body? IMO Magnaflow and Flowmasters are both extremely loud!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Turbo'd Saab

You have a number of choices you could buy a whole catback system from Cattman. You can look up cattman on you tube and hear how it sounds and then follow suit by going to the groupbuy section and locating the thread for cattman stuff. That is IMO the quietest sounding exhaust. The other options are Megan, HKS, Greddy but they are louder IMO.

you second choice is to buy a universal flowmaster or magnaflow muffler on ebay (50-100) and a resonator (30) and take it to an exhaust shop to have them weld it in for you (80-200).

as for a hiflow cat isnt worth it as it won't yield any gains for you, todays cats are pretty free flow as it is, a stock cat is just fine.

IBbutdaveyoujustorderedahiflowcat and to that I say thats because of what I am building.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by CMax03
If I were you ...I'd find a wrecked 5th gen Maxima and call it the day! Are you sure it's your muffler and not some rocks trapped on top the muffler heatshield between and the body? IMO Magnaflow and Flowmasters are both extremely loud!
yes magnaflow and flowmaster lower end mufflers are loud, IE the 40 series muffler but the 60 and 80 series mufflers are quiet nice...In fact it is what I bought for my next setup with a 3" exhaust
Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Well im not going for super quiet i want some tone to it, just not like the typical import,but the pipe between the muffler and cat is called what exactly? the resonator?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM

exhaust doesnt do anything as far as power goes(from what ive read here) Its just for sound. Keep it stock if you have Automagic. Sometimes I wish I did, like ive said before, that drone on a flowmaster can be a **** sometimes.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Well im not going for super quiet i want some tone to it, just not like the typical import,but the pipe between the muffler and cat is called what exactly? the resonator?
b-pipe but it has the resonator as part of it. so yes you are correct
Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

A turbo style muffler will give you a deeper idle and only be a little louder than stock-provided you also have a resonator. Try to find a muffler shop than can mandrel bend a system for you-still, there is only a few hp to be made with the exhaust so I wouldn't go nuts $$$-wise.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 PM

I bought a universal muffler off of ebay a couple months ago and got it welded on. The muffler was only like $30 plus shipping, and it sounds great! It has a low deep growl to it, and that's it. No raspiness, no bees in a can sound, just a very low deep growl. And it's very quiet, honestly I wanted it to be a little louder...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
yes magnaflow and flowmaster lower end mufflers are loud, IE the 40 series muffler but the 60 and 80 series mufflers are quiet nice...In fact it is what I bought for my next setup with a 3" exhaust

Your going 3" piping wit a 40 series???
Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM

I just ordered a Vibrant muffler. http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...ae118c0f0dcb53

Looks very stealthy and nobody here has it so thought I'd try something different. Looks kinda like a black Cattman.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by MaxSE2001
Your going 3" piping wit a 40 series???
no, 80 series muffler
Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM

cool! do you know the difference between getting the cat back megan exhaust and going to a muffler shop and getting their piping and me just purchasing the muffler?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Turbo'd Saab

cool! do you know the difference between getting the cat back megan exhaust and going to a muffler shop and getting their piping and me just purchasing the muffler?
no difference at all, I just don't like megan I was one of the few that had fitment issues and though it was too loud when you have headers

depends on the shop though, you might be able to put a whole system together and installed for 250-300

as a side note, I'll have an electric exhaust cutout for those times I want to be loud. I looked them up the other day though $250 for one.

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 07-23-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by atxking27
exhaust doesnt do anything as far as power goes(from what ive read here) Its just for sound. Keep it stock if you have Automagic. Sometimes I wish I did, like ive said before, that drone on a flowmaster can be a **** sometimes.
What Flowmaster do you have? 40 Series Delta Flow, maybe? I think they sound good (from the outside), and am considering one. But I don't want it to drone horribly at speed. I'm hoping to pick out my own muffler and have a shop make a custom B-pipe and attach it all.

To the OP: I think someone is/was selling an OEM muffler in the 5th gen classifieds... I'm sure that's the cheapest way to go, unless you really want a different sound.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
What Flowmaster do you have? 40 Series Delta Flow, maybe? I think they sound good (from the outside), and am considering one. But I don't want it to drone horribly at speed. I'm hoping to pick out my own muffler and have a shop make a custom B-pipe and attach it all.

To the OP: I think someone is/was selling an OEM muffler in the 5th gen classifieds... I'm sure that's the cheapest way to go, unless you really want a different sound.
yea alot of people have the 40 series delta flow on maximas and it sounds good and im thinking of getting it but not sure if the muffler shop knows how to get the b pipe
Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Stay stock.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Stay stock.
+1
That's what I plan on doing. I am looking for a stock b-pipe now cause the metal hanger is busted/rusted off, but the muffler is still good so I am going to get a b-pipe and a new stock muffler and call it a day
Old 07-24-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
i don't know about flowmaster, but i have to disagree about the magnaflow.. compared to the honda fart cans, megan catback, and stillen catback that i've all heard in person, the magnaflow street series is much quieter.. a buddy of mine has a 6th gen with 2 magnaflow mufflers and a stock catback, and you wouldn't even know he had an exhaust unless he was really on the throttle.. from the outside, it's barely audible upon startup, and cruising behind him and beside him i can't even hear it.. when he's racing though, that's when you hear it... and it sounds nice..

Last edited by wyche89; 07-24-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by atxking27
I partialy agree I don't think its the exhaust that does increase the power but the pipe that bends up over the axel is the major cuperit in power loss it is a small non-mandrel bent pipe that totaly restricts the flow. I have the megan setup and I love it it's not too loud but deffinatly noticable and yes I did get a signifigent power gain. I read someone else had fitment issues which I also had however they were slight and easily resolved issue 1: one of the flanges didn't line up fix: heated it up and bent it to fit, issue 2: banging resolved by having a hanger welded onto where the pipe crosses to the passengers side this stopped the pipe from shifting side to side and banging into the factory hanger post, issue 3: leaks fixed by replacing their sh*** gaskets with heavy duty gaskets. All in all I would definatly recomend the megan catback in total it cost me $490 shipped and installed with the second hanger I believe that the cost of the system is comperable to using a universal muffler with custom bent piping. However it is not an easy product to get it took me over a month before I got mine but it was worth the wait. Here is a sound clip and sorry for the long post but I hope it helps you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoeaiT_kS2o

BTW reving this exhaust does it no justice it sounds 10x better on the road

Here is the cheapest place to get it + free shipping be prepared to wait for it but it's well worth it
http://sportcompactwarehouse.com/meg.../i-175855.aspx

Last edited by johnnyd2k2; 07-24-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM

[quote=SilverGLE;6534537]What Flowmaster do you have? 40 Series Delta Flow, maybe? I think they sound good (from the outside), and am considering one. But I don't want it to drone horribly at speed. I'm hoping to pick out my own muffler and have a shop make a custom B-pipe and attach it all.quote]

I have the 40 series. with no resonator. Even though Ive been told that no resonator doesnt do much either, im running straight pipe after the cat. i like it, its not ricey, IMO
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyd2k2
I partialy agree I don't think its the exhaust that does increase the power but the pipe that bends up over the axel is the major cuperit in power loss it is a small non-mandrel bent pipe that totaly restricts the flow. I have the megan setup and I love it it's not too loud but deffinatly noticable and yes I did get a signifigent power gain. I read someone else had fitment issues which I also had however they were slight and easily resolved issue 1: one of the flanges didn't line up fix: heated it up and bent it to fit, issue 2: banging resolved by having a hanger welded onto where the pipe crosses to the passengers side this stopped the pipe from shifting side to side and banging into the factory hanger post, issue 3: leaks fixed by replacing their sh*** gaskets with heavy duty gaskets. All in all I would definatly recomend the megan catback in total it cost me $490 shipped and installed with the second hanger I believe that the cost of the system is comperable to using a universal muffler with custom bent piping. However it is not an easy product to get it took me over a month before I got mine but it was worth the wait. Here is a sound clip and sorry for the long post but I hope it helps you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoeaiT_kS2o

BTW reving this exhaust does it no justice it sounds 10x better on the road

Here is the cheapest place to get it + free shipping be prepared to wait for it but it's well worth it
http://sportcompactwarehouse.com/meg.../i-175855.aspx

hmm good advice....i debating if i should get the megan cat back or a flowmaster 40 series delta flow with a muffler shop customizing my cat back with 3' piping? cuz the price for the megan cat back is alot considering i just purchased a stillen y-pipe (got it yesterday) and im waiting to put it all together
Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 PM

I would just pick up the muffler of your choice and have a reputable shop bend up a catback for you, stock exhaust is perfectly fine if you want it to sound, well, stock and boring...Pick up an aftermarket muffler if you'd like some tone and a increased volume, it doesn't have to be too loud if you don't want it to be.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by wyche89
i don't know about flowmaster, but i have to disagree about the magnaflow.. compared to the honda fart cans, megan catback, and stillen catback that i've all heard in person, the magnaflow street series is much quieter.. a buddy of mine has a 6th gen with 2 magnaflow mufflers and a stock catback, and you wouldn't even know he had an exhaust unless he was really on the throttle.. from the outside, it's barely audible upon startup, and cruising behind him and beside him i can't even hear it.. when he's racing though, that's when you hear it... and it sounds nice..
That would be why it was so quiet. Those of us with a full exhaust like to keep it toned down, when you using a 40 series muffler with a setup like mine, it proves to be quiet loud. Thats why i got ride of the megan, once you go headers with the megan it becomes too loud IMO
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Turbo'd Saab

too compare the megan with headers to frankencar/megan with headers:

Not even full throttle (megan):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTUh9-LQAo

Frankencar/megan mix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzEJPZcj0L8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0YDyO4uDwQ

I like my frankencar sound, the video camera does not capture the deep sound.

God I can't wait till the next autox season, i backed out this season because I'm having an issue with my LCA/balljoints so I decided not to push on it till I replace it in december....full torque at low RPMs FTW

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 07-24-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 PM

so in other words going for the cat back megan setup is a waste of money ($342) seeing that its not a big impact on performance????
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 AM

I have an entire Cattman Exhaust, Y-pipe, warpspeed Metallic cat and Cattman catback...I love it! It's a really nice sound but there's no stealthier muffler than the stock, it really runs super quiet at idle and part throttle and flow well too! Very crisp throttle response...
Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 AM

im not so worried about sound just wanting to get good parts and if parts are the same why pay more
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Based on the research I did long ago, the general consensus (sp?) is that new a b-pipe and muffler is fine, but if you play on headers and/or y-pipe, keep the stock muffler as aftermarket can be too loud. Personally, I'll likley replace the b-pipe and use a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow muffler.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Based on the research I did long ago, the general consensus (sp?) is that new a b-pipe and muffler is fine, but if you play on headers and/or y-pipe, keep the stock muffler as aftermarket can be too loud. Personally, I'll likley replace the b-pipe and use a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow muffler.
flowmaster 40 series delta flow...why go with that one? i was also considering to go with that cuz ive heard other maximas with that one
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 PM

After hearing many maximas with different muffler setups, i prefer the stock over all now that i researched it a bit more...
Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 PM

what research you find out?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 PM

That would be why it was so quiet. Those of us with a full exhaust like to keep it toned down, when you using a 40 series muffler with a setup like mine, it proves to be quiet loud. Thats why i got ride of the megan, once you go headers with the megan it becomes too loud IMO
yeah, i would imagine so... i wanna get headers and see how it sounds first before i get a muffler.. but for the OPs needs, i think just getting a magnaflow muffler and keeping his stock catback would work.. no need to go full exhaust, or even catback... just a good quality muffler is good for what you're looking for.. as i said, you don't even hear it unless you get on it
Old 07-26-2008, 12:32 AM

Bad experience here with Flowmaster
Old 07-26-2008, 06:01 AM

so in other words going for the cat back megan setup is a waste of money ($342) seeing that its not a big impact on performance????
I found that it gave me a noticable performance boost it's much quicker now and would say it is deffinatly worth it. I'm gonna dyno it next weekend so I will post the results.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:44 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by AltiMax2000
Bad experience here with Flowmaster
Slow down there, chief, I'm having a hard time processing all that information.

Care to elaborate?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:25 PM

I'm considering getting a cat-back, but only if I can get at least 10 HP out of it. Could I expect that?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:49 PM

from what i heard of or read info here you just get around 7-10 hp...unless im wrong
Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by viperxiv
I'm considering getting a cat-back, but only if I can get at least 10 HP out of it. Could I expect that?
from what i heard of or read info here you just get around 7-10 hp...unless im wrong
The range is pretty much 5-10 whp. Check the dyno section to see if you can find anything. The gains from a cat-back are minimal w/o getting headers, IIRC. Even with headers, people have made good power with the stock rear section and an aftermarket b-pipe.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 AM

Well, it is stainless, which is always nice. And if you want to open up your entire exhaust system eventually, it'll help a little.

If what you mean by "big impact on performance" is a significant increase in power, apart from headers or nitrous, nothing else is really going to do that for these cars.

Quick Reply: Few questions regarding Exhaust..