5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

power steering fluid disappearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 AM

power steering fluid disappearance

I filled up the power steering fluid 2 weeks ago and it's empty again today, totally empty.... nothing inside the container.

Makes a funny noise when it is empty, stopped over at advance auto parts and bought another bottle but it drains out within a week or two.

What could this be? My car isn't leaking anything at all.

Scott
Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 AM

wow, im stumped.....that is wayyy beyond me

only thing i have to offer is to check all the lines, and check the pump just to be sure
Old 08-02-2008, 10:00 AM
No More Maxipad

i'm sure you have a leak somewhere. mine is leaking and have to get the hose replaced =( mine was a little under the full point yesterday when i checked, this morning it's almost empty and makes a weird noise when i drive...the mechanic showed me when he turned the steering wheel i see oil squirting out of the hose =/
Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 AM

you SURE there's no leak somewhere? power steering fluid doesn't just burn off like oil.. unless it leaked out first then burned off once it hits a hot engine part.. do what lowincash described, and have somebody turn the wheel while you look
Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Leak. Most likely its the supply or return hose off of the pump. All you have to do to check is to feel the hoses. If there is a lot of gunk, or they feel slippery then you have a leak.

It could also be leaking in your steering system, but that is rare. Make sure you keep enough fluid in your reservior so you don't burn up the power steering pump.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Thanks, I figured out that my lack on knowledge with cars that obviously I have a leak, power steering fluid just doesn't die and go to heaven.

Where are the usually suspect hoses located? Is it under the car or can I just pop the hood and feel the hoses?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
No More Maxipad

that's where my leak is...so you can just follow the tube from there i guess.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock
Thanks, I figured out that my lack on knowledge with cars that obviously I have a leak, power steering fluid just doesn't die and go to heaven.

Where are the usually suspect hoses located? Is it under the car or can I just pop the hood and feel the hoses?
Check around the power steering fluid reservoir. You should see two hoses coming out of the pump. You can feel the top portion of those hoses from under the hood. The bottom portion you will have to get under the car next to the passenger side wheel. Get a flashlight when you go under there to have a good look at the hoses and the surrounding areas. Gunk buildup is a tell tale sign of a leak somewhere.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by lowincash

that's where my leak is...so you can just follow the tube from there i guess.
Same place mines is leaking from, that top peice, the mechanic said it's the pressure hose or the power steering hose (upper). I need to get this part.

Also said I need a ac belt and a power steering belt as well.

For you guys who don't get the part from the dealer, where do you get them from? The mechanic will charge me 120 to install all 3 items which isn't that bad in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock
Same place mines is leaking from, that top peice, the mechanic said it's the pressure hose or the power steering hose (upper). I need to get this part.

Also said I need a ac belt and a power steering belt as well.

For you guys who don't get the part from the dealer, where do you get them from? The mechanic will charge me 120 to install all 3 items which isn't that bad in my opinion.
Call up Dave Burnette at South Point Nissan. He gives discounts for Max.org members and there is free shipping on orders over $100. At least it was like that in July.

You can find his number by searching.

If you wish to go another route check with NAPA. See if they can get "gates' belts as those are very reliable.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
No More Maxipad

my mechanic is charging me $120 on istall too...but for that new hose only tho. the hose is like over $200 bucks i think...my car is sitting at the shop till tuesday or wednesday when the part arrived...he says i should drive it while it's leaking because it's easy to catch on fire if the oil gets on something hot.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:09 AM

Just paid 194.00 for it after tax, had to go to the dealer since the mechanic told me to get this fixed asap.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Cletus

did a search to find out about this and found this recent thread.

mine was making a noise when i turned...i knew right away what it was...fluid was almost empty. i filled it up. drove relatively straight on the highway for 200 miles, it stayed almost full. drove to work with lots of turns and it was noticeably low. so its obviously pressure related.

i can see fluid from the top in the area near the PS pump.

when i close on my house in 2 days, i will finally be able to jack it up and see where the problem is.

i hope its a hose...i had the pump go out on my 00 at 85mph...that sucked
Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 PM
No More Maxipad

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
did a search to find out about this and found this recent thread.

mine was making a noise when i turned...i knew right away what it was...fluid was almost empty. i filled it up. drove relatively straight on the highway for 200 miles, it stayed almost full. drove to work with lots of turns and it was noticeably low. so its obviously pressure related.

i can see fluid from the top in the area near the PS pump.

when i close on my house in 2 days, i will finally be able to jack it up and see where the problem is.

i hope its a hose...i had the pump go out on my 00 at 85mph...that sucked
you might need to change the hose then i think. my mechanic changed out the whole hose thing and came out to be $325 (parts&labor) i think i got ripped off but i don't know =/

btw when your fluid was low did your steering feel heavier at low speeds? i was parallel parking and my arms were getting tired...but maybe i was weak lol
Old 09-15-2008, 09:57 AM

mine is leaking. I just found it out, and realized why there was some fluid under the passenger side of the car on my garage floor.
the foam cover will hide the leaking, once it's filled up with oil, the oil will start to come out.