5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those of you that have 18" wheels, or larger...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 06:54 AM

For those of you that have 18" wheels, or larger...

... who originally had 17" wheels.

I am sorry that I ask so many questions, but I really want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I buy my rims/ tires. I will really kick myself if I make a $2000 mistake!

I was considering moving to an 18", but was afraid the ride might be rougher. I don't race my car - just regular driving. I commute about 60+ miles a day - so comfort, smoothness, and handling are important. If any of you noticed or didn't notice a difference when increasing to 18", let me know. Also, what is the width of your tires?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-07-2001, 08:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: For those of you that have 18" wheels, or larger...

235/40/18 Nitto Xtreme ZR. I don't race either, but I drive fast. They are a bit rougher because of the lower profile. Watch out for ruts and bumps in the rough, you'll hear your rims crunch when you hit them because there's less rubber to protect them. Overall better handling and traction than stock. Looks better too.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:15 AM

What kind of wheels are you getting? Maybe I can help.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by luvmymax

I am sorry that I ask so many questions, but I really want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I buy my rims/ tires. I will really kick myself if I make a $2000 mistake!

I was considering moving to an 18", but was afraid the ride might be rougher. I don't race my car - just regular driving. I commute about 60+ miles a day - so comfort, smoothness, and handling are important. If any of you noticed or didn't notice a difference when increasing to 18", let me know. Also, what is the width of your tires?

Thanks guys!

Depends if you stick with the +1/+2 formula.
Otherwise, I'd definitely go with the 18s!!!

I love spending other people's money...

ADMAN
Old 11-07-2001, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by cobymoby
What kind of wheels are you getting? Maybe I can help.
COOL

Well, I really don't know. I liked the Giovanna Corsica (17x7), but then someone said that he's had three sets and they haven't been very good. I was also looking at Elite (Barb), but they are expensive. Also Arelli (Vetta) - very expensive. Then I also looked at the Mille Miglia (sp) wheels - my favorite being the Revenge IV.

I was thinking buy a 17x7 and keep my existing stock tires, but then some people mentioned it being best going with a 7.5 or 8 inch width. So I figured if I am buying tires anyway, why not go 18"?

Then I wanted chrome, but people mentioned how hard they are to take care of - also expensive. Then I though silver or polished, but heck, I have the stock 17" wheels now that don't look half bad, so I thought it would be ridiculous to even waste the money unless I bought chrome.

So, as you can see, I am thoroughly confused!! I'd love to be able to see some of these in person, or even a better pic on the Internet. I just don't know who to talk to. I tried my dealer, but he referred me to tirerack.com. I've never changed wheels and neither has my hubby, so I am lost.

THANKS!
Old 11-07-2001, 11:11 AM

Anything by MHT is expensive but well worth it. they're construction allows them to stay round longer no matter how bad the driver is. best looking ones on a max by mht are neeper dagg, niche corsa and neeper haaz. MHT Wheels. A cheaper wheel that will look good is the Zennetti Vega.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:12 AM

Thanks guys!
I moved up from my stock 16" to 18"s and I do notice my ride to be a little rougher since I'm riding on low pros. You do have to be careful for bumbs, holes, and rocks since everything little thing it seems gets picked up by the tires. You wouldn't believe how many little scratches I have that were caused by rocks and sand. But thats the price you pay for good looks. It all depends I guess on what your looking for. Good luck in your search. I think you'll be happy with 18's. I am and I'll never go back.

Shadou
Old 11-07-2001, 12:18 PM

Go here

I did not buy my rims through this company but they have a pretty cool program to see what the rims would look like on your beloved maxima.

www.sportscartire.com

click on "aftermarket wheel link" , then click on the long gray link that says "test drive our.........." At the top of the next page you can pick the make and model and change the colors and drop the car like a hooptie.....ect.ect...

Cool site!
Old 11-07-2001, 03:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
Anything by MHT is expensive but well worth it. they're construction allows them to stay round longer no matter how bad the driver is. best looking ones on a max by mht are neeper dagg, niche corsa and neeper haaz. MHT Wheels. A cheaper wheel that will look good is the Zennetti Vega.
hey i was thinking about getting the Zennetti Vega's, so are the wheels not that durable, or are you just saying they are cheaper in price? cause my friend used to have some 18" adr's and while driving on the interstate one night two of his wheels tore apart; when i mean tore apart i mean like the two wheels that tore were now in four pieces altogether
Old 11-07-2001, 04:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by PHAT2k1A.E.
hey i was thinking about getting the Zennetti Vega's, so are the wheels not that durable, or are you just saying they are cheaper in price? cause my friend used to have some 18" adr's and while driving on the interstate one night two of his wheels tore apart; when i mean tore apart i mean like the two wheels that tore were now in four pieces altogether
You the man on the choice of vehicles. I live in Seattle, so the gray really goes better with the environment for me...but it was a close call between it and the blue. I was actually primarily posting to tell you what a smooth choice it was to photograph your blue baby with the bright yellow curbside. Artisticly pleasing and a hot car!
Old 11-07-2001, 04:22 PM

Definitely a roughly ride than stock, but very livable. The looks of the car will vastly outweigh the minor increase in road noise and decrease in ride quality.

Also, overall steering response will improve, traction will improve, and braking SHOULD improve. This all depends if you get quality tyres and not just some cheap tyres (like Nitto 450s or Euro TAs) as well. Anything with a threadwear of 300 or higher is usually a tyre that tries to perform, but gives in to lasting longer (which will be a higher benefit to you if you look to cruise in it over race it).

i had 18s with 225/40zr18s toyos.

hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by PHAT2k1A.E.

you mean to say that the ADR's arent too reliable?? daaaamn man. i was thinking about gettin some rims from them too!! thanx for the info. now i could scratch adr's off the list of endless rims that i want.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Raf2kMax

you mean to say that the ADR's arent too reliable?? daaaamn man. i was thinking about gettin some rims from them too!! thanx for the info. now i could scratch adr's off the list of endless rims that i want.
How about some Katana wheels for your Nija kit.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:32 PM

Thanks guys!
With the bigger wheel set-up, you'll definately feel the road more, especially the bumps in the pavement. It's a small inconvience for the look and handling you'll get in return. It just gives the car a new look that's hard to describe, when you get the 18's, you'll know what I mean...good luck and go for it!! Life's too short....