5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mod the AV6 or Bite the Bullet on a 2k2 6spd ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 08:19 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Mod the AV6 or Bite the Bullet on a 2k2 6spd ??

Here's what's been going through my mind lately. Pretty torn. Maybe you guys can help me sort out my thoughts. I know you're all biased but that's okay.

SteVTEC's Mind

Come on man, trade in that slow Accord V6 for the 2k2 Maxima 6spd. You could dump thousands in NA mods into an AV6 and still never hit 14's or you could use that mod money towards a new Max 6spd which can do 14's stock and run with these guys on the .ORG killing Rustang GT's! Plus these .ORG guys are cooler and more fun anyways and you know it! Come on, you know you want to...muhahaha!

No, don't listen to that FOO! The AV6 is a great and sensible car and it was "fast enough" for you when you bought it and it still is now. And it runs on 87 which is great for all of those highway miles you put on. And if you trade now you'll take a big hit doing so. Stick with your AV6 and just mod it out if you want. Plus your GF/soon-to-be fiance can hardly drive stick. Think of HER!!! And are you forgetting that your right leg is cramped a bit in the Maxima?!?

I put this in my sig also...hehe. :-D
Old 11-11-2001, 09:02 PM

Re: Mod the AV6 or Bite the Bullet on a 2k2 6spd ??

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Here's what's been going through my mind lately. Pretty torn. Maybe you guys can help me sort out my thoughts. I know you're all biased but that's okay.

SteVTEC's Mind

Come on man, trade in that slow Accord V6 for the 2k2 Maxima 6spd. You could dump thousands in NA mods into an AV6 and still never hit 14's or you could use that mod money towards a new Max 6spd which can do 14's stock and run with these guys on the .ORG killing Rustang GT's! Plus these .ORG guys are cooler and more fun anyways and you know it! Come on, you know you want to...muhahaha!

No, don't listen to that FOO! The AV6 is a great and sensible car and it was "fast enough" for you when you bought it and it still is now. And it runs on 87 which is great for all of those highway miles you put on. And if you trade now you'll take a big hit doing so. Stick with your AV6 and just mod it out if you want. Plus your GF/soon-to-be fiance can hardly drive stick. Think of HER!!! And are you forgetting that your right leg is cramped a bit in the Maxima?!?

I put this in my sig also...hehe. :-D
how much do you lose if you trade it in?
Old 11-11-2001, 09:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

get a 2k2 6-spd trust me you'll love it.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:37 PM

2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2 2k2
Old 11-11-2001, 10:52 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

its all about the money...

the max is a great value.. but its sounds like youre about to change your priorities soon (marriage). Sometimes I still miss my honda, especially at the gas pump. yeah, the honda bored me to tears, thats probably why I felt like trading. but the car was great.

I'd make sure I had all that other stuff covered first, 'cause the 2k2 is hot, but I wouldnt want to live in it or make my new wife eat ramen noodles and PB&J. If you have all that covered, take the plunge.. you will look forward to the drive every morning to work. sucks to get there, but the drive always entertains.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:18 PM
PhatGuy

2K2 6spd Max without a doubt!

Old 11-11-2001, 11:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteVTEC
[B]Here's what's been going through my mind lately. Pretty torn. Maybe you guys can help me sort out my thoughts. I know you're all biased but that's okay.

SteVTEC's Mind

Listen to
You won't be sorry! One of our family cars is a
2k1 AV6 coupe. It's a very nice car that I enjoy
driving, but it's not as fun as a manual transmission Max--- especially a 6spd HLSD Max!

Too bad I have to wait until February of next
year.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I usually dont say this,but go with mr. in this case he just happens to be right!! you are right...in another 6 months to a year you will have found plenty of mods to add to your accord and after youve spent 2 or 3 grand your gonna wake up one day and say "I could of just gotten a 2k2 6sp Max and then youll start to ...if you need to, just save your dough for a couple months and go for the max!! and once you get the max youll relize the tempting devil turned out to be an ...
Old 11-11-2001, 11:47 PM

The option you can REALLY live with.

Get the 2K2 MAX w/ Six Speed and HLSD.

You deserve it. You need it. You must have it.

Besides,Winter is almost here....
You can mention the safety factor of the limited slip diff & other safety bits with your soon to be fiance'. More engine and sporty suspension mean better crash avoidance.Better protection against those crazy DC area drivers.

You and you're soon to be wife can get some "quality time" in when you teach her to drive the new SIX SPEED. You will be the envy of the entire V6 accord forum w/ a 6 speed Max. Think of the mod options when you START w/ 255 HP. You can tell those TL-S & CL-S drivers that you have NAVIGATION too.(Plus you'll smoke em' at the track).

You're choice should be clear.

Go with the MAXIMA

Tim
Old 11-12-2001, 12:32 AM
Zam

I don't think you'll lose any money on the trade up. I bought a 98 Accord(4 Banger) in 98 and traded it off for a 99 GSR the next year(both were new). I got what I owed on the trade(I didn't put anything down and bought at 5% over invoice, even did the 6 year loan thing). To top it off the Accord was in a wreck and I totally fixed it just enough to pass off back to Honda.

That is why those Hondas are so appealing. Resale and trade in value are excellent.

Here are my 2cents: if you buy a Nissan, plan to keep it forever. You WILL lose your **** if you ever want to trade that Max off. Resale, multi link beam thingamajigger and looks are my only true turnoffs with the 2k2 Maxima.

Cheers.
Zam
Old 11-12-2001, 04:00 AM

shoot i'de make the wife sleep on the couch if she even dared to ask me if she could drive my car... i second what timw said.. if you can cover all the other "more important" things, then get the max.. but there's also nothing wrong with making the wife eat ramen..
Old 11-12-2001, 05:52 AM
Got Bent?

well, of course me, as well as everyone is going to say get the 2k2 6-speed as a first answer. But of course, think about it... You will take a depreciation hit when you trade in the Accord. It may not be huge, but is not insignificant. If you still owe a lot on the Accord, then I would say it wouldn't be a good choice to get the 2k2.

Does your GF have a car? Does she need a new one? If so, then maybe you could persuade her to taking the accord... then getting the 2k2 6 speed would be a no-brainer
Old 11-12-2001, 06:42 AM

Plus your GF/soon-to-be fiance can hardly drive stick. Think of HER!!!
Do not, and I mean do not let you wife's ability to drive a manual influence your decision unless you share 1 car. I purchased my 98 GXE w/the slushbox just because my wife did not want to learn the 5-spd. My other Maximas were manual tranny. Well guess what, she has driven my car a total of 6 times since 1998 (yes I have counted) and not at all since I bought her the Acura in Feb 01. She completely influenced that part of my car buying decision and she doesn't even drive the friggin car. Never again........
Old 11-12-2001, 06:48 AM

Steve

want my honest opinion...? Keep your car. Driving in traffic with stick is not that fun. (For those who do not know, we live in the same area.) I do have to admit, when the traffic is light or if the road is windy, the 6 speed is a blast.

Also... the cops in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area do not allow me to open it much these days. Even early Sunday morning, they were out with their laser guns.

Paul
Old 11-12-2001, 07:00 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

so true Zam...

you'll do great on your Honda trade in... then you'll have the resale freefall of the max...
Old 11-12-2001, 07:03 AM
Zam

Re: so true Zam...

Originally posted by TimW
you'll do great on your Honda trade in... then you'll have the resale freefall of the max...
Why do you think I still have my magical automatic after almost 6 years? I'm liable to get mad if the dealer offers me free floormats for my trade.

That's another reason we went with the 4Runner over the 240hp Pathfinder.

Zam

What is up with these planes? I fly home in 30 days.
Old 11-12-2001, 07:09 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 11-12-2001, 01:33 PM

Keep the V6

I'll chime in as another voice of reason here.

Stick with your Accord and tuck those pennies away for your wedding, they're expensive.

I'm planning on going w/ a 6sp SE but probably not till early next year when they're more plentiful. I guess that's the reason I say stick w/ the Accord. Better chance for me to get one next year. But I'm moving up from a Civic...

Let me repeat, I'm moving up from a Civic. I can't even out run a Toyota Echo. Going down hill. In a Hurricane.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wait till Feb and get a 2K2 6 sp HLSD. It's time to join the Darkside and become part of the family.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:46 PM

I got an idea, trade Paul

just kidding
Old 11-12-2001, 09:05 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. I'm behind on replying, but will reply more later. Plus I keep getting that damned "too busy" error

Originally posted by costcowholesale
I got an idea, trade Paul :-D just kidding
Ya know I was thinking that, since Paul obviously doesn't seem very happy with the 6spd in the traffic around here...
Old 11-12-2001, 10:20 PM

I must be getting old. LOL. After Nauman gets his car out of the shop, we should get together. You guys have to show me the stretch of road that you found.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. I'm behind on replying, but will reply more later. Plus I keep getting that damned "too busy" error

Ya know I was thinking that, since Paul obviously doesn't seem very happy with the 6spd in the traffic around here...
Old 11-13-2001, 04:55 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Paul6speed
I must be getting old. LOL. After Nauman gets his car out of the shop, we should get together. You guys have to show me the stretch of road that you found.

I am sure you know the road... Midcounty Highway.... runs between Shady Grove and Montgomery Village Ave. It is empty on the weekends and at night....
Old 11-13-2001, 05:01 AM

That road is deserted at some parts of the day. Almost like reduced access for 2 miles on one part. Great Choice

Tim
Old 11-13-2001, 05:39 AM

Well!…

Go ahead …buy the 2K2 Max. More thump for the lump…in your wallet
Old 11-13-2001, 05:55 AM

Im with the devil on this one
2K2 max!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2001, 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Keep the Accord until you get married, those weddings can be a strain on the wallet. By that time you'll have gotten more of your money's worth for the Accord and there will be more options for your , like the 6-spd CLS and the new Z.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:01 PM

I'm usually a good boy but...

... go with the
Old 11-13-2001, 02:34 PM

Steve....

I bought the '98 Coupe, emerald pearl (was between that and the black currant pearl). V-6/EX and all the little extras like 6-disc in the armrest (the greatest thing they offered as an option), spoiler, muffler tips, fogs, etc. I put $2K down on that car before they were even on order at the dealership. I wanted that car from the day it hit the "first drive" in C&D and when I first saw its photos all over Honda web sites. Was thoroughly disappointed that the V-6 didn't come in a 5-speed, but it was all good. I remember driving that thing off the lot...the first sixer with the VTEC label and 200 ponies in a practical, high gas mileage, reasonably priced sports coupe. I was one of the first members of an Accord Message Board (don't even remember the URL any more) which popped up with mostly 6th gen owners.

You know what, Steve, I still think its one of the best cars on the road and with 50K miles, it is a good car and still a looker on the road (even though the first few months were nicest back when nobody else had one). Regardless, hands down, the Maxima is my choice in vehicles. I don't care what modifications you make to that AV6 and how fast it gets...you need to trade that sucker in for a Maxima.

Or do what I did and keep both
Old 11-14-2001, 01:21 PM

Re: Steve....

Originally posted by Michael98033
Regardless, hands down, the Maxima is my choice in vehicles. I don't care what modifications you make to that AV6 and how fast it gets...you need to trade that sucker in for a Maxima.

Or do what I did and keep both
I hereby retract my original suggestion of keeping the Accord. With that kind of endorsement (from a fellow Honda owner no less ) how can you not put a Max in the garage?
Old 11-14-2001, 02:27 PM

And are you forgetting that your right leg is cramped a bit in the Maxima?!?

Do you have uneven legs??
Old 11-14-2001, 03:49 PM

Re: Re: Mod the AV6 or Bite the Bullet on a 2k2 6spd ??

Originally posted by maximawanabee
Do you have uneven legs??

No, actually I just have huge legs.

In my Accord the center stack has a "broken" design that gives my right leg plenty of movement freedom between the steering wheel and the rest of the car. See all that room?:

But the Maxima has a "swept" center stack that in my case really cuts down on my right leg movement freedom. In the pic below from my Accord, that's sorta how my leg is forced in a Maxima since I can no longer move it outwards where the big hole is on my Accord because of the swept center stack.

It's liveable, but something to keep in mind. I'm sure I could work it out better with some quality seat time and playing with the seating position for awhile. It took me awhile to find the best seating position in my Accord too :-)
Old 11-14-2001, 09:04 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ya i'm not even that tall and that's one thing i don't like about nissans is that center piece. oh well.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
ya i'm not even that tall and that's one thing i don't like about nissans is that center piece. oh well.
i personally like that center area better than the camry and the accord.. it looks cleaner. The accord/camry have that big gap.. i dislike it.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
i personally like that center area better than the camry and the accord.. it looks cleaner. The accord/camry have that big gap.. i dislike it.
I like the swept stack design of the maxima (and TL) better too. But unfortunately I need function over form

The big hole is very useful for hiding your CD wallet and radar detector, and other things, though. The shadow created by the bottom of the stack makes it impossible to tell that there's even anything there
Old 11-15-2001, 11:48 AM

I like the swept stack design of the maxima (and TL) better too. But unfortunately I need function over form

The big hole is very useful for hiding your CD wallet and radar detector, and other things, though. The shadow created by the bottom of the stack makes it impossible to tell that there's even anything there
You what eventually got to me about the Accord? The big-a$$ buttons on the radio and such. Big, round buttons that, now that I've been looking at them for a few years, look like they belong on a pre-school toy. The Coupe has a great view from the cockpit though, always liked the BIG windshield.

The big hole in the dash is very useful, I agree. Its good to just throw stuff in when you don't want things to be visible.

Again, the #1 feature of the Accord in my book was the ability to have the six-disc CD changer in the armrest!!!! I loved that the day I drove it off the lot & I love that today!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 01:52 PM

I like my 6 in-dash CD changer. No cartridge... just feed 'em in.

Again, the #1 feature of the Accord in my book was the ability to have the six-disc CD changer in the armrest!!!! I loved that the day I drove it off the lot & I love that today!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Paul6speed
I like my 6 in-dash CD changer. No cartridge... just feed 'em in.
Yeah, true, good stuff. However, I used to have a six-disc Pioneer at home several years ago which used the same cartridge as the Alpine in the Honda. So I have 4 of those cartridges (3 from the pioneer since they gave me a free two-pack on purchase plus the one in the box and the one in the Honda). So I had a few different music types and groups (you know, like my Led Zepellin cartridge and my jazz cartridge) pre-setup in my glove box and just switch them and hit shuffle. Then, I had the 1-disc in dash for other things.

If given a choice between the trunk and the dash, you've got the right setup, but I still like the armrest and the cartridges.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:35 PM

Steve, I just took those pictures to show you: I'm 5"10 with normal legs and I find that spot fine. But this is a 4th gen

pics are more than 50k so you gotta click on them
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/026/ay/Im/Qs/8197364.jpg

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/009/6p/6w/qS/8490465.jpg

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/002/iO/r8/Wq/8286336.jpg

compare to my honda
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/003/Kw/fE/Ux/8b43912.jpg

Old 11-15-2001, 02:53 PM

That sounds like a nice setup too. Hey... you like good music.

Yeah, true, good stuff. However, I used to have a six-disc Pioneer at home several years ago which used the same cartridge as the Alpine in the Honda. So I have 4 of those cartridges (3 from the pioneer since they gave me a free two-pack on purchase plus the one in the box and the one in the Honda). So I had a few different music types and groups (you know, like my Led Zepellin cartridge and my jazz cartridge) pre-setup in my glove box and just switch them and hit shuffle. Then, I had the 1-disc in dash for other things.

If given a choice between the trunk and the dash, you've got the right setup, but I still like the armrest and the cartridges.

Quick Reply: Mod the AV6 or Bite the Bullet on a 2k2 6spd ??