5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 03:16 PM

Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

ive done a few cosmetic mods to my max but no performace mods yet. i dont race my max or anything but i would like a snappier feel while driving around if its not too spendy. i also dont want to make it noticably louder. i would prefer low end performance or a better 0-60 over high speed performance or quarter mile times.

from what i have read on the forum a good mod for me would either be a UDP or maybe a y-pipe. the UDP actually sounds like what i want if it really eliminates that stall you get when you floor the automatic and if it provides noticably more low end torque.

is it worth it for me to get any performance mods at all? will i actually notice a difference in my daily driving?

thanks for any help or opinions!
Old 11-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

Originally posted by flerve
ive done a few cosmetic mods to my max but no performace mods yet. i dont race my max or anything but i would like a snappier feel while driving around if its not too spendy. i also dont want to make it noticably louder. i would prefer low end performance or a better 0-60 over high speed performance or quarter mile times.

from what i have read on the forum a good mod for me would either be a UDP or maybe a y-pipe. the UDP actually sounds like what i want if it really eliminates that stall you get when you floor the automatic and if it provides noticably more low end torque.

is it worth it for me to get any performance mods at all? will i actually notice a difference in my daily driving?

thanks for any help or opinions!
I think VB recalibration is ur best bet. Heard good things about it.
Old 11-12-2001, 03:27 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

y-pipe is this best bang for you buck. UDP ... that's a touchy subject , i don't have one but some people hate them some love them. again y-pipe is what i think you'd like
Old 11-12-2001, 03:31 PM

also, cold air intake or pop charger can help acceleration as well, though some people don't like the added noise. I actually like the growl now with my Place Racing CAI, it's not noticeable at all unless you fully accelerate or are over 3000 rpm.

I haven't gotten my Y pipe yet, but I believe the group deal for a Cattman Y Pipe is still going on...
Old 11-12-2001, 03:41 PM

Don't listen to them. The VB is the only thing listed that you'll actually feel on the low-end side. All other mods, like a y-pipe, will only be noticable on the high-end side. It all depends on how much money you want to spend too. Say, for instance, like a super-charger.

ADMAN
Old 11-12-2001, 03:48 PM

what exactly is VB recalibration?

and how much will it run me?
Old 11-12-2001, 03:48 PM

Re: Re: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

Originally posted by adman
Don't listen to them. The VB is the only thing listed that you'll actually feel on the low-end side. All other mods, like a y-pipe, will only be noticable on the high-end side. It all depends on how much money you want to spend too. Say, for instance, like a super-charger.

ADMAN
Can you explain how you will get added power from a quicker shifting tranny? All the VB mod does is make the tranny shift faster.. if you want more power, UDP, Intake, Y-Pipe, Catback...
Old 11-12-2001, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It doesn't add power, but it makes ur car quicker www.mobiletek.net
Old 11-12-2001, 04:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

The dude is looking for low-end performance. So, a VB is the only thing he is really going to "feel" off the line...unless he spends the big bucks on a SC or something. Why, you gonna tell me anything else gives you a better 60ft time???

ADMAN
Old 11-12-2001, 04:24 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

Originally posted by adman
The dude is looking for low-end performance. So, a VB is the only thing he is really going to "feel" off the line...unless he spends the big bucks on a SC or something. Why, you gonna tell me anything else gives you a better 60ft time???
I think you're confused between the VB upgrade and the TC upgrade.

The VB Upgrade (Valve body) will make the tranny shift much faster and get rid of the slog between gears. You gain performance because the car spends less time between gears.

The TC Upgrade (Torque Converter) give you a more efficient and higher performance tc from Level 10 or Protorque or whoever. You can also get the stall speed increased so that your launch RPM's will be higher. This is what will help you avoid the bogging off the line with a typical automatic tranny, give you much better launches, and better 60' times.

One of my fellow Accord v6'ers installed a Level 10 Torque Converter on his ride and gained about 10 fwhp all throughout the RPM band, including the low end. He also gained a good 0.2-0.3s or so off of his 1/4 mile times. He's now in the low-15's whereas he was in the mid-15's before (with other mods as well).
Old 11-12-2001, 04:36 PM
Got Bent?

Mine is a daily driver, and mods do make a difference. Your best bet is intake/y-pipe for starters. The VB recal is also a good choice that will cut down wear and tear on the tranny as well as give you the quick no lag shifts...
Old 11-12-2001, 05:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

Originally posted by SteVTEC
I think you're confused between the VB upgrade and the TC upgrade.
Nope...no confusion here. Both are the best thing someone can get for low-end performance. Everyone else keeps talking high-end mods. If the dude wants to sit in his car and "feel" any diffence off the line, then these are really the only mods to get. However, if he wants more power...

ADMAN
Old 11-12-2001, 05:07 PM
Got Bent?

A recalibrated VB will not give you any additional power anywhere. It will only cut down the lag in between shifts. A TC with a high stall speed is not good for a daily driver since it will slip more in lower rpms, thus affecting driveability depending on how high the stall speed is. A TC with a higher stall speed will allow for better launches when racing, not on casual take-offs.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:14 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Well

as you can see just pick a mod and do it
Old 11-12-2001, 05:20 PM
Telus.net

Re: Re: Re: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Can you explain how you will get added power from a quicker shifting tranny? All the VB mod does is make the tranny shift faster.. if you want more power, UDP, Intake, Y-Pipe, Catback...

Did you read the guy's first post? He said he doesn't want the added noise.
the dude has an automatic! Why the hell are you telling him to get a Catback and Intake? Those things only gain power in high rpm!

Old 11-12-2001, 05:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Best bet for more power is a maxima.org sticker. Power gains vary according to different sources.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:27 PM

so a recalibrated VB would cut down on the lag between when i punch the gas and it actually takes off? how much does it cost? do i get it done at the local nissan dealer or at a performance shop? this is the first time ive heard of it and ive been reading through this board for a few days now...

whats the best intake to get if i dont want a really loud one? i like how quiet my max is. also will the y-pipe be noticably louder?

i read all the old UDP posts and some people seem to think it really helps for low end torque, and then some people just say they are completely worthless. is there anyone out there who has added one without any other or with only a few mods? did it help?

thanks again
Old 11-12-2001, 05:36 PM
Got Bent?

Don in Texas does the VB recal: www.mobiletek.net . You send him out your VB and he sends it back to you with the modifications. He charges around $450. Level10 also does a similar mod, for around $700 or so.

For choices on intakes, check out the FAQ sticky thread up top or do a search. You will get a lot of hits. Y-pipe will not add a lot of noise by itself. With a cat-back though, you will hear it.

I added UDP after intake, y-pipe, and hi-flow cat, so I don't know how it feels alone. In my opinion it did make a difference. The engine revs came up faster, especially down low.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:51 PM

No, a VB Recal will cut down on the amount of time it takes for your tranny to switch gears. You will no longer have a "lag" between first and second and second to third. This doesn't add any more power, but definitley makes your car quicker off the line...from stop light to stop light. It's a good mod if you want to keep your car quiet and gain a little "umph" in the low-end arena. All the other mods don't really do much from 0-40MPH.

The TC is completely different. It makes your car "stall" for a given period of time. When you step on the gas, it sits there and waits till the RPM is at a certain amount and then kicks the tranny into gear. It is like popping the clutch on a manual tranny. Like they said, it's not always the best mod for a daily driver, depending the stall amount. Sometimes your car can't figure out what gear to be in during normal driving conditions.

Stillen makes a good intake. And, it is not loud. But, that is all a matter of preference. They all help your car "breath" a little better. But, none of them really do a lot for low-end torque.

Lastly, a y-pipe will definitely be louder. But, it does give you more power on the the high-end.

Hope that helps...

ADMAN
Old 11-12-2001, 07:29 PM

supercharger
Old 11-12-2001, 08:39 PM

what is the turnaround time between sending in your VB and getting your car running again?
Old 11-12-2001, 08:51 PM

Tranny cooler and the tranny mod mention from before
Old 11-12-2001, 09:01 PM

JUST DO the y-pipe. If is a daily driver, you don't want to do any drastic mods that will affect your everyday driving. Last car I had was a 2000 Accord V6 Coupe, did the ehxaust(Greddy full catback- MX, not even that noisy), was annoying as hell. Do the y-pipe, it will give you significant gains, but only if you press the throttle. On a regular basis,(Overdrive on), you will rarely notice any noise.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:52 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Exea antenna.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:55 PM

best mod

Tool cd.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:33 PM

Clear corners, fronts help more though.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?

Originally posted by Telus.net

Did you read the guy's first post? He said he doesn't want the added noise.
the dude has an automatic! Why the hell are you telling him to get a Catback and Intake? Those things only gain power in high rpm! )
Dont get all butt hurt now. I was talkin to adman not the first person.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by yo_its_ok

performance mods ... not dress up... anyhow ... clears look ghey now

body color match the front ones, and leave the rear red ones.

No one gives you a second look including cops
eh I was being sarcastic

Clear on white is 92% bodycolor
Old 11-13-2001, 12:49 AM

transmission swap
Old 11-13-2001, 06:13 AM

Definately go with the y-pipe ...
from what ive read you wont get much out
of the udp..
The y pipe def makes a difference
Old 11-13-2001, 07:16 AM

mods

Geez,
I haven't seen this much bickering since I lived at home.
As a owner of a 5th gen auto with every freakin mod out there,
I feel I am qualified to answer the question.
So here you go.
1st and easieast, and most hp for dollar is a high flow air cleaner
It is good for 4 hp dyno tested.

Next is Y-pipe. You don't feel it to much untill 3000 rpm But you hit 3k easy in first gear, second gear, ect. also it has a synergistic effect with high flow air cleaner.
The VB mod is slick, quick,and expensive. You don't need it unless your going to supercharge or nitrous your car. If you do the VB mod add a trans cooler to the system.
You might want to add a front stabalizer bar it is a great mod for the money. It will increase front end stiffness adding extra handeling during every mile you drive.
Enjoy your car.
Fast Walker
Old 11-13-2001, 07:37 AM

Stupid question of the year

What the hell is a Y pipe and why would you want one??
Old 11-13-2001, 07:44 AM
Got Bent?

Re: Stupid question of the year

Originally posted by jnm2kse
What the hell is a Y pipe and why would you want one??
https://maxima.org/maxfaqs/sub_perfo...Performance_3a
Old 11-13-2001, 07:49 AM

Re: Re: Stupid question of the year

Doh! Thanks guy
Old 11-13-2001, 07:59 AM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: Re: Stupid question of the year

Originally posted by jnm2kse

Doh! Thanks guy
no problem thinking about modding now? I remember you used to hang out here a while back...
Old 11-13-2001, 08:21 AM

how does the intake make your car louder, at the engine, or at the exhaust?
when you have a TC it is (ON) all the time? or is there a way only to use it when needed, seems like you would be lighting em up at every light

thanks
Old 11-13-2001, 12:12 PM

so the concensus is that i should get an intake and a y-pipe and dont need the VB recal? i actually have plenty of money so if the VB recal would really make the transmission shift a lot better it might be worth it for me.

how long would i be without my max if i send my VB in to get recalibrated?
Old 11-13-2001, 12:20 PM
Got Bent?

so the concensus is that i should get an intake and a y-pipe and dont need the VB recal? i actually have plenty of money so if the VB recal would really make the transmission shift a lot better it might be worth it for me.

if you have the money, get it also along with a tranny cooler (only $50 or so)

you should contact Don to see how long it will take for the VB to come back to you. He will know best
Old 11-13-2001, 12:57 PM

The only mod thats worth it's weight is the supercharger get that. y pipe is nice but 8 hp is not alot. Thats about .08 on the track...less than a tenth. Intake about 5 hp. Vb recal is nice but I say go to level ten theres is more agressive. yes it's more expensive but prob more worth it. Don's is ok but not the gretest. Maybe what you really wanna look at is the level 10 tranny rebuild kit. Helps everything for abou 800 bucks.

Any way with don's vb mod he say's it takes about 3-5 days to turnaround. Which means 12 days.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:58 PM

i emailed level 10 and told them that i want them to do the install the and VB mod for me if i get it done. Heres the quote that Pat gave me:
PTS HYDROSYSTEM SERVICE JA 215-4000 698.00
Labor to st up install 500.00
So basically if i wanna go down to jersey to get this done, he told me to make an appointment, and my car will have to be worked on for 5-7 hours. Labor charges runnin kinda high nowadays huh?

Quick Reply: Best performace mod for a 2000 automatic daily driver?