5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 Maxima SE vs. 01 330ci which would win

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 03:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't get the 330 numbers

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

but once you get on the highway it's more about RAW HP, then gearing, then weight. that's the reason why a BMW 850CSI take almost 7 seconds to 60 but it will rape a M5 on the highway, on the highway weight is less and HP is the determining factor. assuming one car isn't a moving rectangle.
A 850CSI will not take a E39 M5 on the highway. I do not know what data you are referring to, maybe a older inline 6 M5.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:32 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
I have both a 2001 330i steptronic and it will take my Maxima with mods on it. I highly doubt that a stock 2k2 Maxima auto can even stand a chance against a lighter 330ci 5 speed. The 330i is a quick car up top.
There must be something wrong with your car or the mods you have on it. What was your trap speed when you went to the track? I think you are the only one who has lost to a 330 with a 5th gen 5spd with intake and y-pipe? A 2K2 auto Max would give a 330 a good run IMO. For the money paid for the bimmer they really need to increase their performance. A 6spd Max would destroy a 330, an Auto 2k2 Max would be a close race, a 5spd 5th gen with y-pipe and intake would be close but the max would have the edge (assuming the driver knows how to drive his/her 5spd). My own expereince with against a 330 let alone others must tell you something?

Old 11-14-2001, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy

There must be something wrong with you car mods or not. What was your trap speed when you went to the track? I think you are the only one who has lost to a 330 with a 5th gen 5spd with intake and y-pipe? A 2K2 auto Max would give a 330 a good run IMO. For the money paid for the bimmer they really need to increase their performance.
My tach was off, so I couldnt shift accurately. I recently got a new one and had the ecm reprogrammed. I am gonna take it to the track when I get a chance and the weather is nice. A 330i is a quick car. I can take videos of it against a 97 , 99 , or 2000 Maxima all with y-pipes and intakes. Off the line the Maximas will take the 330i, but from a roll the 330i will be dead even with the fastest of the bunch. I think the 2k2 Manual would be a better match for a 330i, I would like to see a video. I agree that the Bimmer needs to increase its performance acceleration wise. It needs 10 more hp to stay competitive. In terms of handling the 330i is far superior to my Maxima with eibachs. I love the rwd and near perfect weight distribution.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't get the 330 numbers

A 850CSI will not take a E39 M5 on the highway. I do not know what data you are referring to, maybe a older inline 6 M5.
mattC told me that and he is way into BMW's he used to run a M5 website. talk to him about it.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:05 PM

For the people that say you will take the BMW at highspeeds, besides the BMW hitting the limiter, I thought BMWS were tuned for highway speeds?
Old 11-14-2001, 09:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't get the 330 numbers

mattC told me that and he is way into BMW's he used to run a M5 website. talk to him about it.
M5 has more hp and is lighter so I dont believe it. Maybe a modded dinan 850CSI. I will ask my buddy about it. He is a bmw fanatic.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:51 PM

\ A 330i is a quick car. I can take videos of it against a 97 , 99 , or 2000 Maxima all with y-pipes and intakes. Off the line the Maximas will take the 330i, but from a roll the 330i will be dead even with the fastest of the bunch.

ummm...no....when I ran your 330 I pulled 1.5 cars on it AT LEAST...and this was while changing lanes to pass a car...then I missed 5th gear...that's the only reason you caught up...J...you know my car would rape that 330 on the highway if we got to run from 50 up....
Old 11-14-2001, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

ummm...no....when I ran your 330 I pulled 1.5 cars on it AT LEAST...and this was while changing lanes to pass a car...then I missed 5th gear...that's the only reason you caught up...J...you know my car would rape that 330 on the highway if we got to run from 50 up....
Your Maxima would beat it down low, but we gotta run them up top again. I wish it was a 5 speed. That stepronic trany isnt a substitute for the real thing.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:16 PM

Your Maxima would beat it down low, but we gotta run them up top again. I wish it was a 5 speed. That stepronic trany isnt a substitute for the real thing.
it would beat it up top too
face it J....the 330 would lose....
Old 11-15-2001, 11:08 AM
is invisible

1. For the money paid for the bimmer they really need to increase their performance.
2. My own expereince with against a 330 let alone others must tell you something?
1. It's still a better car.
2. You say it best yourself, "great story."
Old 11-15-2001, 11:12 AM
is invisible

Well #1 that is a AWD car you are quoting numbers on. That being the case would give it excellent 60' times and even the rwd 330 gets better lauches and 60' than a Max. #2 my encounter was on a roll from about 65 to 95. So 1/4 and 0-60 times really are not applicable in that case. #3 I would put my car up against any stock 330 on a highway roll without a doubt. #4 I don't go racing around and my encounters are just day to day street battles going to work and back etc. So I really don't have time nor the skill to go cruising with a video camera in my hand, driving WOT in a manual 5spd car.
1. Sure it jumps off the line...but what about its 1/4 time...I don't know the speed.
2. Well, we don't have any mid-range #s but I'd expect the RWD 330 to have better midrange than the AWD.
3. Stock vs. modded. Would you go up against a modded 330Ci (expecting to win)?
4. But you expect others to?
Old 11-15-2001, 02:13 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by CoolMax

1. Sure it jumps off the line...but what about its 1/4 time...I don't know the speed.
2. Well, we don't have any mid-range #s.
3. Stock vs. modded. Would you go up against a modded 330Ci (expecting to win)?
4. But you expect others to?
You drive an automatic don't you? Most doubters of modded Max 5spds are auto drivers.
What city/state do you live in?

A 5spd 5th gen Maxima with intake an Y-pipe driven properly can beat a 330 or it would be extremely close.

Nevermind I saw your 11 year old beast of a car in your profile I hope it is a 5spd. No wonder you know very little about 5th gen 5spds let alone modded ones (your just a hater but thats ok thats life). When you finish school, get a job, work for a few years you might be able to get yourself a used 330?

I would be scared to run against you in your white lightning! Ah kids these days..

WoW what a street weapon!

Old 11-15-2001, 03:31 PM
is invisible

You've got to be kidding...you called me out and once again it becomes personal. Don't you have a solution for this? PM.
And I thught we were having a friendly debate.
What does my POS have to do with 5-speed 5th gen. vs. 5-speed 330ci?

Ah, old men these days.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:32 PM
PhatGuy

You've got to be kidding...you called me out and once again it becomes personal. Don't you have a solution for this? PM.

Ah, old men these days.
Have you driven a 5th gen 5spd with aftermarket intake and Y-pipe? Yes? No? Maybe?

I drive one everyday! So that is how I know what it is capable of (as well as a lot of other 5th gen 5spd owners) so you are debating with yourself on this one?

Old 11-15-2001, 03:44 PM

Ah, old men these days.
coolmax, read phat's profile

edit.. nevermind, he changed it
Old 11-15-2001, 03:47 PM

Have you driven a 5th gen 5spd with aftermarket intake and Y-pipe? Yes? No? Maybe?

I drive one everyday! So that is how I know what it is capable of (as well as a lot of other 5th gen 5spd owners) so you are debating with yourself on this one?
phatguy, those AWD times.. i highley doubt the magazine dumped the clutch at 3000rpms or so.. i bet it was just a straight, shift and launch. Besides.. have you ever driven a 330i? You floor it from a stop, you get NO WHEEL SPIN. 328i braketorque, No wheel spin.
Old 11-15-2001, 03:52 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
phatguy, those AWD times.. i highley doubt the magazine dumped the clutch at 3000rpms or so.. i bet it was just a straight, shift and launch. Besides.. have you ever driven a 330i? You floor it from a stop, you get NO WHEEL SPIN. 328i braketorque, No wheel spin.
I agree the 330 or any bimmer has got an excellent launch. Only had one experience against a 330 and it was on a roll. I've driven a 330 a few times and have seen them at the local track and was not impressed to say the least based on the money spent for the car. At that point spend a few more bucks and get the M3. How many 330 have you seen run at the track?

Your kidding about magazine drivers not dropping the clutch right?

Old 11-15-2001, 04:57 PM

I agree the 330 or any bimmer has got an excellent launch. Only had one experience against a 330 and it was on a roll. I've driven a 330 a few times and have seen them at the local track and was not impressed to say the least based on the money spent for the car. At that point spend a few more bucks and get the M3. How many 330 have you seen run at the track?

Your kidding about magazine drivers not dropping the clutch right?
Phatguy you werent impressed by the 330i's handling? It is far superior to our Maximas even with suspension mods. I am not sure if you drove one with the sport package or not. The brakes are among the best I've experienced also. Also u cant simply spend a few more bucks and buy an M3. Try getting a E46 M3 and see how long you have to wait or how much you have to pay for markup.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:16 PM

i love my max... but seriously i would trade it in a heart beat for a 330ci 5-spd... that is one unbelievable car... it is beautiful... luxurious... fast... and everything else it could be all in one...
Old 11-15-2001, 05:22 PM
PhatGuy

Phatguy you werent impressed by the 330i's handling? It is far superior to our Maximas even with suspension mods. I am not sure if you drove one with the sport package or not. The brakes are among the best I've experienced also. Also u cant simply spend a few more bucks and buy an M3. Try getting a E46 M3 and see how long you have to wait or how much you have to pay for markup.
Oh ya the brakes are great and handling was awesome. I drove a basic 4 door and a 2 door with the Sport Package. For the difference in price between a 330 and Max a lot of mods can be done. A lot! SC, big brakes, tires, suspension etc. etc. And still have money left over! In Canada the M3 has no mark up from the dealers. Price is $69K Canadian which is about $45K US. I would rather wait for the M3 than purchase a brand new 330. If I was to purchase Bimmer it would be an M3 and nothing else. I have a feeling the G35 6spd will be my next car though.

Old 11-15-2001, 05:31 PM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by psing23
i love my max... but seriously i would trade it in a heart beat for a 330ci 5-spd... that is one unbelievable car... it is beautiful... luxurious... fast... and everything else it could be all in one...
It is way more money than a Max and it still isn't anywhere near an M3. Obviously if the 330 and Max were the same price I would purchase the 330 but they aren't. Bottomline with $500 of mods (intake and y-pipe) my car is as fast if not faster than a 330. I'm sorry but if I'm paying big money I want big performance in all areas #1 is speed! #2 is four doors and room for 4 people (is there a 4 door e46 M3?). I don't like the look of a 4 door 330 at all!

G35 will be the best bang for the buck and I will be modding it for sure as well! By then there will be a lot of aftermarket support for the 3.5.

Old 11-15-2001, 07:22 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by costcowholesale

coolmax, read phat's profile

edit.. nevermind, he changed it
Why would he change it?

Now who's the silly kid?
Old 11-15-2001, 07:40 PM

Oh ya the brakes are great and handling was awesome. I drove a basic 4 door and a 2 door with the Sport Package. For the difference in price between a 330 and Max a lot of mods can be done. A lot! SC, big brakes, tires, suspension etc. etc. And still have money left over! In Canada the M3 has no mark up from the dealers. Price is $69K Canadian which is about $45K US. I would rather wait for the M3 than purchase a brand new 330. If I was to purchase Bimmer it would be an M3 and nothing else. I have a feeling the G35 6spd will be my next car though.
You can spend all you want on a Max and Im sure it will smoke a 330i, but I'd rather take 50/50 weight distribution and RWD. In Chicago M3s are not anywhere near 45k and the wait is about a year. My friend was gonna get a E46 M3, but the dealer wanted around 60k so instead he got a 2001 M coupe. That thing is a beast. I am gonna try to get a video of the M vs CLK55 vs C5 Vette!
Old 11-15-2001, 07:57 PM
is invisible

I'll break it down for you...

1. You drive an automatic don't you? Most doubters of modded Max 5spds are auto drivers.

2. What city/state do you live in?

3. A 5spd 5th gen Maxima with intake an Y-pipe driven properly can beat a 330 or it would be extremely close.

4. Nevermind I saw your 11 year old beast of a car in your profile I hope it is a 5spd. No wonder you know very little about 5th gen 5spds let alone modded ones (your just a hater but thats ok thats life).

5. When you finish school, get a job, work for a few years you might be able to get yourself a used 330?

6. I would be scared to run against you in your white lightning!Ah kids these days..
WoW what a street weapon!
1. I drive auto and therefore a doubter.

2. Relevance? Are you that p!ssed you want to hunt me down?

3. I never doubted that...especially now that you added the "driven properly" condition. We'll assume the BMW driver drives like crap. I'm sure an SC'd Maxima would crush a 330 as well. Likewise, a Honda Prelude or hell, Civic Si with intake/exhaust can beat a Maxima or it would be extremely close.

4. Wow, look at that car! Not bad for 10 years old. Oh wait, that's mine!
I'm curious to your objective in posting the pic of my in your post...I'm completely aware of the photo in my profile and what my car looks like. I'm flattered that you clicked on my profile...but for what purpose? How does it relate to issue at hand?
Now, I'll ask what kind of car you were driving in college. A 2k 5-spd?
I just can't imagine the reaction you'd have if Mommy and Daddy bought me a 2k2 6-spd Max for school. I just can't win.
Since I don't drive a 5th gen (let alone a modded one) there is no way I can know anything about them. But I have driven a 330i 5-speed. Don't worry, for your sake, I'll try to get in a 2k 5-speed someday.
Like you, I like material results (video, timeslips) or otherwise it didn't happen....it's a "great story."
I have two brochures in front of me: 2001 Nissan Maxima and BMW 2001 3-series coupe. Page 4 of the Maxima brochure lists a 6.7 second time from 0-60mph (courtesy of Motor Trend July 1999). Page 64 of the BMW brochure gives a 6.4 second time from 0-60mph (courtesy of BMW's notoriously conservative test results). There are two concrete comparisons and that's what I'll believe until shown otherwise.
Now what makes me a "hater"(not that I give a damn, that's life)? And how are you not one yourself?

5. Thanks for your interest, but I'm not a not fan of BMW's ergonomics. I plan to drive my "beast" until it dies but I'll probably end up with another Maxima, it's hard to beat as a value/bang-for the-buck.

6. Bring it on! (again see #4, grow up, and besides what you're really afraid to race is a modded 330!). Ah old men these days...

btw, if you'd like to continue the personal attacks (and show who the kid really is) please IM me.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:59 PM
is invisible

You can spend all you want on a Max and Im sure it will smoke a 330i, but I'd rather take 50/50 weight distribution and RWD. In Chicago M3s are not anywhere near 45k and the wait is about a year. My friend was gonna get a E46 M3, but the dealer wanted around 60k so instead he got a 2001 M coupe. That thing is a beast. I am gonna try to get a video of the M vs CLK55 vs C5 Vette!
Well, you can buy a Z28 for less than many cars, throw in a few $$$, and rip on just about every car out there. But guess what? At the end of the it's still a Chevy.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:54 PM

i love 3 series coupes... mmmm white with tints, sport package, and spoiler...
Old 11-16-2001, 12:48 AM
PhatGuy

Re: I'll break it down for you...

1. I drive auto and therefore a doubter.

2. Relevance? Are you that p!ssed you want to hunt me down?

3. I never doubted that...especially now that you added the "driven properly" condition. We'll assume the BMW driver drives like crap. I'm sure an SC'd Maxima would crush a 330 as well. Likewise, a Honda Prelude or hell, Civic Si with intake/exhaust can beat a Maxima or it would be extremely close.

4. Wow, look at that car! Not bad for 10 years old. Oh wait, that's mine!
I'm curious to your objective in posting the pic of my in your post...I'm completely aware of the photo in my profile and what my car looks like. I'm flattered that you clicked on my profile...but for what purpose? How does it relate to issue at hand?
Now, I'll ask what kind of car you were driving in college. A 2k 5-spd?
I just can't imagine the reaction you'd have if Mommy and Daddy bought me a 2k2 6-spd Max for school. I just can't win.
Since I don't drive a 5th gen (let alone a modded one) there is no way I can know anything about them. But I have driven a 330i 5-speed. Don't worry, for your sake, I'll try to get in a 2k 5-speed someday.
Like you, I like material results (video, timeslips) or otherwise it didn't happen....it's a "great story."
I have two brochures in front of me: 2001 Nissan Maxima and BMW 2001 3-series coupe. Page 4 of the Maxima brochure lists a 6.7 second time from 0-60mph (courtesy of Motor Trend July 1999). Page 64 of the BMW brochure gives a 6.4 second time from 0-60mph (courtesy of BMW's notoriously conservative test results). There are two concrete comparisons and that's what I'll believe until shown otherwise.
Now what makes me a "hater"(not that I give a damn, that's life)? And how are you not one yourself?

5. Thanks for your interest, but I'm not a not fan of BMW's ergonomics. I plan to drive my "beast" until it dies but I'll probably end up with another Maxima, it's hard to beat as a value/bang-for the-buck.

6. Bring it on! (again see #4, grow up, and besides what you're really afraid to race is a modded 330!. Ah old men these days...

btw, if you'd like to continue the personal attacks (and show who the kid really is) please IM me.
"Oh oh stop the personal attacks! Oh just stop it now!"

I love this forum! You think your being smart but you gotta realize I really don't care! You post nothing on the .org but negative crap. Show me any post where you ask a reasonable question or give any reasonable advice? Good luck!

Old 11-16-2001, 04:35 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I'll break it down for you...

3 Civic Si with intake/exhaust can beat a Maxima or it would be extremely close.

HAHAHA, r u kidding me. you think an intake and exhaust on a civic is gonna shave .8 sec. that's a joke, it will still get butt wooped.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:10 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Re: I'll break it down for you...

HAHAHA, r u kidding me. you think an intake and exhaust on a civic is gonna shave .8 sec. that's a joke, it will still get butt wooped.
I dunno where Coolmax comes up with his info? I think he is referring to his car?

Old 11-16-2001, 10:40 AM
is invisible

"Oh oh stop the personal attacks! Oh just stop it now!"

I love this forum! You think your being smart but you gotta realize I really don't care! You post nothing on the .org but negative crap. Show me any post where you ask a reasonable question or give any reasonable advice? Good luck!
I love it too!

Is this your way of avoiding my questions? You haven't answered any of them.
Now you claim that you don't care...then why did you continue posting?
Would you like to show me the point of making it personal? Trust me, I'm not crying...I just don't see the point. But if that's how low you want to go to duck the questions then it's completely fine. I don't think I'm being smart..I think I'm being right. Are you being dumb?
I prefer posting negative crap to you...but otherwise I don't have extensive mechanical knowledge so I cannot aid in many cases, but I do add where I can. Likewise, I'm sure you can do the same, since you are such a model member. And your doubting of other Roadkills are positve posts?
Old 11-16-2001, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did I get censored???

Old 11-16-2001, 10:43 AM
is invisible

0.8 seconds?

I've seen 6.7 seconds for the 5th gen Maxima 5-speed, 6.6/7.0 seconds for the 4th gen 5-speed, and 7.0 seconds for Civic SIs and Preludes. If a modded Maxima that run 6.7 seconds in stock form can run with a 6.4second 330...isn't it posssible for a the Hondas to do the same?
Old 11-16-2001, 10:46 AM
is invisible

Re: Re: Re: I'll break it down for you...

I dunno where Coolmax comes up with his info? I think he is referring to his car?
From my ***, where do you get yours?

btw, my car is slow...0-60mph in 8.9 in stock form. can't do much better as a poor college kid, but ifit makes you happy, I'll ask Mommy and Daddy for a 2k2 6-speed.

Ride the wave!
Old 11-16-2001, 11:25 AM

did i mention that i love the 330ci? lol...
Old 11-16-2001, 11:45 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

My car is slow and cannot beat a 330ci.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
That's cause it's 'magic
Old 11-16-2001, 12:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by naidd

That's cause it's 'magic
Exactly.
Old 11-16-2001, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
put it in "Drive" and put down the E-brake, lets see what happens when you race one
Old 11-16-2001, 02:58 PM

I beat a 4DR 330i BMW manual at the track , my time was 14.77 and the BMW had 15.0 which was his best (probably couldnt drive) all night he ran 15.4
Old 11-16-2001, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE
I beat a 4DR 330i BMW manual at the track , my time was 14.77 and the BMW had 15.0 which was his best (probably couldnt drive) all night he ran 15.4
nice, are you auto?

Quick Reply: 01 Maxima SE vs. 01 330ci which would win