5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

JWT Popcharger/K&N Drop-In comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 01:28 AM

JWT Popcharger/K&N Drop-In comparison

Those of you that have either of these can you tell me what difference you felt from when you were using the stock filter? Thanks
Old 11-13-2001, 05:45 AM

Re: JWT Popcharger/K&N Drop-In comparison

Originally posted by Ludacris
Those of you that have either of these can you tell me what difference you felt from when you were using the stock filter? Thanks
I have the K&N drop-in. No difference was felt when driving but you can hear a sucking sound when accelerating hard.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:44 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Ive got the drop in, but I put it in the day I got the car. I wasnt expecting any real output so I was not worried about a comparison. I have driven my roommates max with the JWT intake. His sounds alot better at WOT, but you can feel off the line that it lacks a little bit comparted to mine. It does pull a little bit harder or maybe its just the rusing air sound. I opted for the drop cause I gain a hp or two, but I dont loss any torque like with the JWT. It does sound very nice though, but I live in a coastal city on the east coast and all it ends of doing is sucking mostly hot air.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sloppymax
Ive got the drop in, but I put it in the day I got the car. I wasnt expecting any real output so I was not worried about a comparison. I have driven my roommates max with the JWT intake. His sounds alot better at WOT, but you can feel off the line that it lacks a little bit comparted to mine. It does pull a little bit harder or maybe its just the rusing air sound. I opted for the drop cause I gain a hp or two, but I dont loss any torque like with the JWT. It does sound very nice though, but I live in a coastal city on the east coast and all it ends of doing is sucking mostly hot air.
I got the JWT a few days after I got my '01 Max. First thing I noticed was I lost a lil but in the low-end. But I gained in the High-end. The Sound it makes at WOT is just awesome though
Old 11-13-2001, 10:59 AM

Man, I am just going to drop in a REAL CAI to take care of this low end loss from a JWT pop charger

Dixit
Old 11-13-2001, 11:49 AM

i also just got the pop charger. love the sound but better yet, i love the throttle response on the highway...
Old 11-13-2001, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Man, I am just going to drop in a REAL CAI to take care of this low end loss from a JWT pop charger

Dixit
That's the same thing I'm going to do. I my PR Cai sitting in my trunk waiting for me install it this weekend
Old 11-13-2001, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

That's the same thing I'm going to do. I my PR Cai sitting in my trunk waiting for me install it this weekend
Hook me up with the specs on it before you install it.

Dixit
Old 11-13-2001, 03:23 PM

I have a K&N cone filter (like th Stillen one). I love it growl it makes above 3k rpms. The low end loss isn't very much, but it makes up for it in the high end and definetly sound.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:38 PM

Drop in K&N

It seemed to me the drop in K&N improved accelaration from a dead stop, but it could just be the "placebo effect"
Old 11-13-2001, 08:07 PM

I placed a K&N drop in in my 93 max and installed the JWT pop charger in my 01. There is no comparison, so don't bother. The pop charger is more noticable both audibly and in performance. I definitely gained some power and the throaty growl is awesome. The K&N, you can hear it if you get right up to it. JWT is best. srm
Old 11-14-2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit
So ya think your JWT will be for sale soon?

Looks like JWT is the only way to go with what you guys say, so basically teh only reason to get the K&N is to avoid paying for a replacement filter? $80 difference better be worth it..
Old 11-15-2001, 05:14 AM

oh?? i thought JWT just like stillen, don't need to change the filter for long time...
Old 11-15-2001, 05:33 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

You dont have to reoil it for a while for either of them. The stillen one uses a genuine k&n filter while the JWT uses a generic filter, looks the same but some people on here say theres a difference in that the stillen one sucks in more air.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:44 AM

Pop Charger Install Question

I just got a Pop Charger. When I install it, does it need to be oiled? The reason I ask is because the instructions that came with don't mention this and neither does Punkdork's instructions in the "Installation Instruction/How to" sitcky? Yet, it is possible to clean and reuse. Someone please clear up my confusion.
Old 11-15-2001, 08:50 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

If you bought it new, you shouldnt have to reoil it. If you bought it used, you may want to ask how many miles are on it or if they seller didnt clean, just go ahead and do it. The oiling kit costs less than 10 bucks but its better to do it over night or so everything has the proper time to dry.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:09 AM

Thanks. I got it new...it should be a simple installation. I just need to find the time to put it in.

Originally posted by sloppymax
If you bought it new, you shouldnt have to reoil it. If you bought it used, you may want to ask how many miles are on it or if they seller didnt clean, just go ahead and do it. The oiling kit costs less than 10 bucks but its better to do it over night or so everything has the proper time to dry.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:07 PM
Custommaxima.com

Both will give you the same horsepower gain, but from what i have heard from my customers is that the JWT gives you better throttle response and sounds nicer.

Old 11-15-2001, 05:30 PM

oh no.. today i got bit hard by the mod bug.. i knew my filter was due for a replacement, so i thought "hmm.. i should get the k&n panel filter, but since i'm at it, i should just build myself an intake".. so i go all over the place to look for a freakin' k&n universal filter and couldn't find one.. so instead i went to a speed shop, found wahat i was looking for, was in no way going to pay 80bux for a k&n stamped "aem" filter.. so i bought a cheapo obx filter with a flange that didnt' even fit.. i had to drill alot of holes in it sso it'll fit.. well.. throttle response is alot better, my car sounds meaner.. is it faster? i doubt it.. i still dont' believe in intakes
Old 11-23-2001, 04:49 AM

Re: Re: JWT Popcharger/K&N Drop-In comparison

Originally posted by jkratzer

I have the K&N drop-in. No difference was felt when driving but you can hear a sucking sound when accelerating hard.
Same here although the car does feel a little more "peppy". Who knows....

Car does seem to "howl" a bit louder when you get in the 5-6k rpm range.

Haven't really seen an increase in mpg yet...guess I gotta stop punching it all the time to see if it sounds different
Old 11-23-2001, 07:09 AM
nc00max

The best way to get power out of an intake is to combine it with a good exhaust setup (the y-pipe being the big one). The y-pipe by itself is noticeable, but becomes much more so when combined with the intake. I have the JWT, and the biggest increase I saw was at higher rpm's, and really at higher speeds. The car feels a lot quicker on the highway now, and I can pull more on my friend's Firebird than before. I know that's not much of a way to compare, but we've raced enough times that we pretty much know exactly how far ahead I am at whatever speeds.

Old 11-23-2001, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by beaglemax
Thanks. I got it new...it should be a simple installation. I just need to find the time to put it in.

did u put the intake on??
i tried today but it's hard to take the maf out..
maybe i need to ask someone to help me..
anyone in Boston area can help me????
Old 11-23-2001, 12:36 PM

I just installed the Stillen intake a couple of weeks ago.
The reason you may be having trouble with the maf sensor
is b/c it's clipped in, i.e. you can't simply yank it off.
You have to push in the clip on the side of the plug while
lifting up. I only suggest this b/c I tried to unplug
w/o noticing the clip!
Once you get the clip off and remove the airbox, it's
actually a pretty easy install.

Originally posted by Garfield

did u put the intake on??
i tried today but it's hard to take the maf out..
maybe i need to ask someone to help me..
anyone in Boston area can help me????
Old 11-23-2001, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Jmax2K1
I just installed the Stillen intake a couple of weeks ago.
The reason you may be having trouble with the maf sensor
is b/c it's clipped in, i.e. you can't simply yank it off.
You have to push in the clip on the side of the plug while
lifting up. I only suggest this b/c I tried to unplug
w/o noticing the clip!
Once you get the clip off and remove the airbox, it's
actually a pretty easy install.

thanks...i'll try that again..