5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 06:01 AM

Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

I don't expect anyone to like this review (altough its not that negative), but I finally had the opportunity to test one last night. Amazing the dealer still has no 5-sp altimas yet.

First, orginally it was posted by Paul6speed that the RPMS were:

60 MPH
5th gear 2100
6th gear 1850

This didn't make since to me, since the Maxima is supppost to be geared lower in 5th than the Altima, yet the Altima turns 2300 RPMs in 5th at 60mph. So something didn't add up. The gearing ratios here were probably correct b/c those #s, 2100rpm and 1850rpm are way off. The Max turns 2400-2450rpms in 5th at 60, and 1950-2000 rpms in 6th at 60. So 5th is a little lower, like its suppost to be.

My background- I've owned a big varity of cars. Currently drive a 00 C5 Corvette 6-speed and a Auto 99 Civic EX Sedan. In near past, I've had a 00 SE Maxima and Mustang GT. I've driven a lot of others however. Tested a Auto Altima SE a 5-6 weeks ago. Based on my impressions from the Altiman and info online, I really expected that the Altima would be the best handler and the Max would be faster. I've been very exicted about the Max/Altima... with that type of performance in a sedan for the $$ and refinment.

The Car- Feels much better (more european) than the 00-01 Maximas (I had an 00SE). The leather looks better, and the car feels more solid than before. In comparison, its a lot nicer in build and solid feel in my option than the previous Maxs and the new Altima. However, the Altima does feel more nimble, quicker through the curves (by a very small margin), although the Altima gives a "floaty" feel, while the Max feels solid. Its honestly a close call, although I believe I this point the Max feels better for me, personally.

Trans- In one word, Terrable. It has an extremely lite feel, like a 4cyl economy car, just not my taste. Take into consideration that I drove my C5 there however, which has a very heavy clutch and shifting. I took awhile to get used to it. (However when leaving, it took awhile to get used to my C5 again to). I wish it there was a Medium feel between the two for a sport sedan (like I remeber from the 95-99 BMW M3). The trans was smooth and easy to shift, but very vague... seems just like the Sentra SE 5-speed. The clutch loosely engages, which makes speed shifting hard. Its just not very rewarding.

Note: You have to pull up on the boot to get the car to shift into reverse. A nice feature, I sat out trying to back it out of the parking space on the lot for several minutes, several of the salesmen there didn't know about the feature. Luckly, one did. I can imagine now loaning it to a friend and me forgeting to tell them.

Power- Its decent, but not exciting. Frankly, I was expecting much more power based on my 00 SE Automatic I had and the 02 Altima SE Automatic I test drove. I really shouldn't have drove my C5 there to do the test drive, as one tends to get used to a certain amount of power... and I guess going from a mid-high 12s car to a mid-high 14s car in the quarter thats understood.

Conclusion- I walked away thinking I'd just assume have an Auto, as both were "good" power wise and neither were really "fast" or exciting, espically with the non-inspiring feel of the 6-speed. And this is comming from a person that loves Manuels... the Manuel in my C5 was a $800 option over the Automatic and by test, is only .2-.3 sec faster... but I loved the feel and little extra power. In the Altima, were the Auto is an $$ option, I would stick with the 5-speed, I could live with it for less money. My biggest concern is that the upcomming Z will have the same feel with the same trans... hope not, I have the #2 spot on the waiting list.

I've been trying to justify while it felt so not fast, maybe the low noise levels or solid ride or the fact that I'm used to faster cars made it feel that way.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:15 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

you shoulda driven your auto Civic for a whole week beforehand to clear any skewing of your opinions from your C5. Actually, the Civic would have just skewed it the other way, but that's okay
Old 11-13-2001, 07:18 AM

SLOW is a relative word. Some people think the Altima's interior is awesome, others think it's economy. The 2002 is quite fast, and the manual gave better responses. Not sure if I like the pull up **** to get into reverse. Another time I went from 5th to 4th instead of 6th.
The stick is slighter shorter and closer to the driver. The feel of the manual action is definitely different. The 5 speed you can tell when you put it into another gear. The 6 speed is lighter, in a way like the older MR2. The clutch is higher and a bit heavier so one would need to get used to that.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

geez

damn........i think the 2002 se 6 speed is fast......well im only 19....the only other car's ive had is a 1989 legend...1990 Vw GTi...1991 honda civic SI.....and a sentra SER....compared to all thoes my new max is fassssssssssssssssst as hell for me....now if i could only pay the loan as fast as i drive the car...
Old 11-13-2001, 02:04 PM

geez

damn........i think the 2002 se 6 speed is fast......well im only 19....the only other car's ive had is a 1989 legend...1990 Vw GTi...1991 honda civic SI.....and a sentra SER....compared to all thoes my new max is fassssssssssssssssst as hell for me....now if i could only pay the loan as fast as i drive the car...
Old 11-13-2001, 02:15 PM

The upcoming Z shares the 6spd transmission with the 2k2 Max?
Nissan is going to put a cable shifter in the Z?
Old 11-13-2001, 02:41 PM

my concern also

Originally posted by vmax8
The upcoming Z shares the 6spd transmission with the 2k2 Max?

Nissan is going to put a cable shifter in the Z?
I have a 2kse 5 speed, test drove drove Paul's 6-speed and really had a problem w/a cable shifter, not in the Z I hope, anyone have any insight?
Old 11-13-2001, 03:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: my concern also

Originally posted by opimax

I have a 2kse 5 speed, test drove drove Paul's 6-speed and really had a problem w/a cable shifter, not in the Z I hope, anyone have any insight?
I don't get it... People have been complaining for years about the 5 speed's "feel" being bad...
And now that Nissan changed it to a 6 speed, people are STILL complaining!

I dunno!
Old 11-13-2001, 03:39 PM

Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Originally posted by c5hardtop

First, orginally it was posted by Paul6speed that the RPMS were:

60 MPH
5th gear 2100
6th gear 1850

This didn't make since to me, since the Maxima is supppost to be geared lower in 5th than the Altima, yet the Altima turns 2300 RPMs in 5th at 60mph. So something didn't add up. The gearing ratios here were probably correct b/c those #s, 2100rpm and 1850rpm are way off. The Max turns 2400-2450rpms in 5th at 60, and 1950-2000 rpms in 6th at 60. So 5th is a little lower, like its suppost to be.
no offense intended but paul actually owns the car...he didnt just drive it once and come up with his #s. although, you seem to know what you're talking about...so who knows.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:33 PM

Amazing

I am happy is has 6 speeds, actually more than happy , but a cable shifter has a very different "feel" than rods, the "feel" went backwards INMO, not necessarly the "action" of the shifts themselves. As always people are different, Paul went from an auto to the only manual shifter on 255 hp max available, While I am not sure it is worth trading in my less than 2 yr old max for but if I were to buy a new Max no problem. Also, many people said that their was nothing wrong with drivability of the 2K 5 speeds but there was a TSB put out to resolve that problem. I have also heard of aftermarket products for other cable manuals to make them rods but i think it was on the Chevy Cavilar lol

Mark
Old 11-13-2001, 05:55 PM

Someone explain cable vs. rod shifter

I test drove a 6-speed Max the other day and I felt that the 6-speed required more effort to engage the gears compared to my 5-speed(especially reverse). I prefer the feel of the 5-speed shifter.

Why is Nissan going to a cable shifter and what benefits does it provide?
Old 11-13-2001, 06:05 PM

WHoa hat a huge difference, a $16K Civic auto and a $40K Corvette. Why would someone want to have a Civic and Corvette? This suspision really makes me doubt the credibility of the moderator. LOL I'm just messing with you, man.

I currently own a 2k GXE 5 spd. Dislike the loose clutch and shifter. Thought there's a remedy to make my clutch pedal travel a bit shorter and engage more instantly, but there's none. Love the easy pedal feel, though. Besides missing the 2nd gear when in the hurry, 5 spd manual for me was a better choice than auto.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:08 AM

Drove 6 spd 2002 SE today

I drove a 2002 6 spd with 260 miles on it today. The clutch reminded me of my friends Accord from a few years ago - VERY light. It was so easy to bottom out, and took very little pressure. Also, I had to have the pedal almost to the floor to have the clutch completely disengage. As I was driving, I had to move the seat up another few inches so that I would push the pedal all the way to shift gears. But I got used to it after a while.
I do agree that the clutch is too light - I have always liked hard cluthes, but used to drive a lot of Vipers, so it is all relative as to what is heavy and what is light.
As for the speed - I think it is faster than it feels. I used to work in the performance/modification business and have driven my fair share of high performance cars. The smooth ones (like the NSX) feel much slower than the less refines ones, despite what performance they actually deliver. I also drove an Altima, and it did FEEL quicker (and rougher), but I don't think it was. The Maxima FELT slower because it was so refined. But if I accelerate and watch the tach and watch for the increase in speed, I could tell that it was very fast and powerful.
I will say that the Atima cornered a little better on a u turn under the freeway, but I think it was the tires, not the suspension setup. The Maxima started to squeal before I thought it would, but the body roll was not that bad at all, which is what usually contributes to loss of grip. So with better tires, I think that the MAxima would have cornered much better.
So the Altima and Maxima should have the same power, similar gearing and similar weight. Worse case, the engines put out the same power and the performance will be similar. But I am betting the Maxima ends up being faster...
No doubt, it is a lot of car for the money, and I want a 2k2 SE 6 spd with HLSD. Now, if they would just make them...
Old 11-14-2001, 12:17 AM

For crying out loud, its a 20-30 Grand Midsize car competing against Accord/Camry/Taurus/Intrepid.. those types of cars.. Now you tell me.. which one is fast? Of course its not going to be fast as what you expected.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
WHoa hat a huge difference, a $16K Civic auto and a $40K Corvette. Why would someone want to have a Civic and Corvette? This suspision really makes me doubt the credibility of the moderator. LOL I'm just messing with you, man.

I currently own a 2k GXE 5 spd. Dislike the loose clutch and shifter. Thought there's a remedy to make my clutch pedal travel a bit shorter and engage more instantly, but there's none. Love the easy pedal feel, though. Besides missing the 2nd gear when in the hurry, 5 spd manual for me was a better choice than auto.
Commuter car and a fun car.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:35 AM

Yeah I noticed my maxima and you C5 is slow compared to bike also...... wonder why that is? hmmmmmmmmm

Dixit
Old 11-14-2001, 04:54 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

the shifter is different but not bad, it just takes getting used to and once you get it down it's just like driving anything else. i like the dead feel but i do have to complain, quietly about the clutch fell i always have trouble going from 1-2 fast on a normal throttle shift. i'm very happy with the speed and it's very stable and predictable esp now that i have my RSB installed. below 110 is feels as fast as my 95 Auto with the NOS, but above that it's a little slower. i dont' see how people keep saying it's slower. paul ran a 14,7 after driving stick for 2 week, with 2.5 seconds 60ft times and early shift. imagine theblue driving this car, 14.1 The altima is very cheap inside, and a floaty ride and IRS will make it feel faster, C5 you should know about IRS and the track you drive a vette, people kill for older REAR BEAM vettes and stangs. well i'm off to work, more thoughts later.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:18 AM

Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Originally posted by Newman96SE

no offense intended but paul actually owns the car...he didnt just drive it once and come up with his #s. although, you seem to know what you're talking about...so who knows.
I understand he owns the car and I don't... maybe he was just mistaken. But fromt he gear ratios post hear, by multiple people, multiple times, the Maxima should have a lower 5th gear than the Altima does. The Altima turns 2300rpms in 5th @60. So its logical the Maxima should turn a higher rpm in 5th @60 than the 2300 the Altima did (according to the Mags). Thus the 2450-2500rpms

So which makes since to you? I specifically tested for this b/c of the conflicting info here.

Additional: I didn't intend to compare it to a C5, I just wanted to point out that my impressions were biased b/c of what I do normally drive. When you get used to a certain amount of power, and certain cutch/shifter feel... it affects you impressions of other cars. Like when I said I got back back in the C5 after the test, it felt too firm, after I had adjusted to the Max a little.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
No problem... I commute to work (drive around 25k miles per year), so I don't want to put a lot of miles on my C5 b/c of depreciation, and I don't drive my C5 in bad weather either. The civic is reliable, and gets good gas mileage. I bought a used 99 so I could get the independent suspension, before Honda got cheap with the new ones. I needed something cheap to.

Acutally, there is not that big of a difference in gas mileage... but the Honda uses cheaper regualar gas.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:56 AM
grumpsjr

Nissan clutch/shifters

Well, here's my $.02 - I've got a 2001 SE 5-speed, and was curious to read discussion on the 6-speed. Driving the '01 5-speed, I can tell you, the shifter feels the same as my beloved '94 Sentra SE-R (Dang I miss that car). Slightly notchy, and sometimes the 1-2 shift, and 2-3 shift are not the easiest, especially when trying to shift quickly. This makes sense, as I believe they are both rod linkages.

Now, the clutch is a whole 'nother story. My SE-R had a cable clutch, and it never felt good. The Maxima does tend to the soft side, but it's a hydraulic clutch, so at least the feel is good. I think given that this is a "family" car, one could expect the clutch to be somewhat soft.

Really, though, the transmission/clutch don't measure up to my other car - a '94 BMW 318 Convertible. It may not be powerful (and I'm working on that, too) but BMW knows how to build a gearbox. Which also reminds me, if anybody wants an '01 Max, I'm selling - goin back to school, and the Bimmer will be more than sufficient, unfortunately.

Old 11-14-2001, 07:48 AM

. . .Originally posted by c5hardtop
My biggest concern is that the upcomming Z will have the same feel with the same trans...
I'm pretty certain that the tranny will feel different, and much better on the Z. The Z and Max-6 may have the same tranny, but very different layout. With the Maxima's FWD layout, the gearbox has to go 90 degres to get the shifter into the cabin, and Nissan changed to a cable shifter with the 02 Max. In the RWD Z layout, the tranny will pretty much be right there behind the engine in the cabin. No right angles or such to get the gear shifter into the cabin. Probably a direct link with the shifter directly connected to the tranny right below it.

DW
Old 11-14-2001, 08:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

I understand he owns the car and I don't... maybe he was just mistaken. But fromt he gear ratios post hear, by multiple people, multiple times, the Maxima should have a lower 5th gear than the Altima does. The Altima turns 2300rpms in 5th @60. So its logical the Maxima should turn a higher rpm in 5th @60 than the 2300 the Altima did (according to the Mags). Thus the 2450-2500rpms

So which makes since to you? I specifically tested for this b/c of the conflicting info here.

Hey what about the final drive ratios??? If they're not the same this would certainly expalin the discrepency.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Originally posted by Paul D.

Hey what about the final drive ratios??? If they're not the same this would certainly expalin the discrepency.
They were the same or very close from the numbers posted here. The end result is that the Max is "suppost" to have lower, closer gears. The Max should have a lower 5th... if it doesn't, that means the Altima is geared lower.

I stayed at 60mph in each gear... I know what I saw.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

They were the same or very close from the numbers posted here. The end result is that the Max is "suppost" to have lower, closer gears. The Max should have a lower 5th... if it doesn't, that means the Altima is geared lower.

I stayed at 60mph in each gear... I know what I saw.
Do you know if the 2k1 has a cable shifter or rod?
Old 11-14-2001, 01:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Originally posted by jhans114

Do you know if the 2k1 has a cable shifter or rod?
ROD
Old 11-14-2001, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
For crying out loud, its a 20-30 Grand Midsize car competing against Accord/Camry/Taurus/Intrepid.. those types of cars.. Now you tell me.. which one is fast? Of course its not going to be fast as what you expected.
My last car was a 1994 Intrepid, almost anything is faster than that thing was. It was slow and boring.

SuDZ
Old 11-15-2001, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
Agreed, though that it was understood. I guess I had too high of expectations. Its wonderful in comparison with all the other cars in its price range, not only in power, but in handling, build quality and other aspects. I assume I was just expecting a little to much, I'm still getting either a Max or Altima.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:08 PM

I took digital pics as well. My numbers are not bogus.

Also... I ran a 14.7 @ 97 with very little seat time and terrible 60 ft times. The car is not "SLOW"

Originally posted by Newman96SE

Old 11-15-2001, 02:10 PM

Re: my concern also

One thing I notice about my shifter... after my car warms up, it's much smoother. Also, the mileage helps. I'm over 1000 miles now and it's getting smoother. You test drove it when it was brand spanking new Mark. I was expecting the 5 speed to smoother, since it's a rod shifter. It was suprised that the feeling was very similar when I drove your car Mark. Also, remember you said my clutch felt better?

Originally posted by opimax

Old 11-15-2001, 02:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Frankly... I'm insulted C5. I know how to read a tach and speedometer.

I understand he owns the car and I don't... maybe he was just mistaken. .
Old 11-15-2001, 03:27 PM
PhatGuy

I'm curious if you felt the 6spd max is "slow" what 4 door sedan at that price level is fast? In reality how many 4 door sedans at any price are signifantly faster than the Max 6spd? We are talking high end V8's and expensive cars to say the least. With a couple of bolt ons that 6spd Max is going to put some older Vettes to shame!

Old 11-15-2001, 03:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Originally posted by Paul6speed
Frankly... I'm insulted C5. I know how to read a tach and speedometer.

i did the test today, 60 mph in 5th gear and got 2500rpms. i lost what the arguement exactly was but i know this was the start.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

i did the test today, 60 mph in 5th gear and got 2500rpms. i lost what the arguement exactly was but i know this was the start.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:37 PM

I'm looking at my digital pics from a few weeks ago when I did the test. Everything matches up except my 60. I double-checked it again. It appears my 60 MPH photo is reading 2500. I wrote the numbers on my Palmpilot. I suspect my Grafiti hand writing recognition is at fault.

http://paulwendy.com/maxima/60mph.jpg

all the other speeds seem kosher though.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=73417

I forgot why this mattered anyway?? Also... I didn't make much sense that it took 800 RPM to go another 10 MPH.

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

Old 11-16-2001, 05:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a 6-speed Max, its SLOW

Originally posted by Paul6speed
I'm looking at my digital pics from a few weeks ago when I did the test. Everything matches up except my 60. I double-checked it again. It appears my 60 MPH photo is reading 2500. I wrote the numbers on my Palmpilot. I suspect my Grafiti hand writing recognition is at fault.

http://paulwendy.com/maxima/60mph.jpg

all the other speeds seem kosher though.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=73417

I forgot why this mattered anyway?? Also... I didn't make much sense that it took 800 RPM to go another 10 MPH.

You see, I was right. No need to be "insulted", I thought you just made an honest mistake, it happens to everyone.

It mattered b/c if the orginal numbers you posted were correct, the Altima ##s would have ment that it was geared lower the Max... but its not.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I'm curious if you felt the 6spd max is "slow" what 4 door sedan at that price level is fast? In reality how many 4 door sedans at any price are signifantly faster than the Max 6spd? We are talking high end V8's and expensive cars to say the least. With a couple of bolt ons that 6spd Max is going to put some older Vettes to shame!
As I said in a previous post, "Its wonderful in comparison with all the other cars in its price range, not only in power, but in handling, build quality and other aspects. I assume I was just expecting a little to much, I'm still getting either a Max or Altima."

"what 4 door sedan at that price level is fast"-none

Its still a great car for the money. I will probably end up getting either a Max or Altima early next year. I would like to test drive a 5-sp Altima and see some Mag comparisons with the Max. I'm not in any rush though.. I was hopeing for some special low finaning rates from Nissan. And its nice not having a payment now on the car the Max will be replacing, a 97 Mercury Tracer.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like you're doing what I'm doing C5. I'm looking at Spring or so for mine, but I'm pretty sure it will be a 6 speed Max. I'm still hoping I get to see some pictures of the 6th generation before I get ready to buy.

By the way, I think your posts are always helpful, logical, and well thought out. I do, however, think you got too used to driving your Corvette before you did the test drive. For obvious reasons!!

Nice Vette.

So the Civic for a daily, the Max or Altima for in between, and the Corvette for fun.... can't argue with the line up either way.