5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car goes crazy in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 AM

Car goes crazy in cold weather

#1 My '01 SE AT seems to hate this cold weather (33° right now). This morning, when I got in the car, the volume **** on my radio simply wouldn't work. After fiddling with it for a while, I tried the steering wheel controls and found that they worked, although they were still very unresponsive. As soon as the car warmed up, everything with the radio returned to normal.

#2 While driving down the road a little while later, the radio all of a sudden switched stations on me. Thanks, Max, cause I needed to be listening to Christmas music anyways.

#3 Again when the car is cold, the heater will not engage if I just crank the **** to 90°. I have to hit the defrost button as well, and then minutes later I can hit Auto again and get what I want: warm air coming from the floor vents.

#4 I have this transmission issue that I already posted about, where there is very little power in 1st gear until the engine is warm.

Searching this forum and on Google didn't return much that was helpful. What the heck is wrong with my car?

Evalyn
Old 12-23-2008, 05:43 AM

#1 its due to the temperature. Just like if you've ever left your cell phone in the car overnight. you get to it and your going thru the menu' and its supper slow.... (damn cold **** phone)

#2: It's the ghost of christmas present changing the station

#3 Car needs to be fully warmed to get heat blowing out

#4 get transmission fixed/replaced
Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 AM

^ What he said. Although, 33 really isnt that cold. its been between 0 and 10 here the past few days. The car is certainly not going to put out hot air right when you start it.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
#1 its due to the temperature. Just like if you've ever left your cell phone in the car overnight. you get to it and your going thru the menu' and its super slow....
So all your cars become unpredictable and unresponsive when it's cold outside? This is my first Nissan and I have only owned it for 6 months. Is this just a reality for drivers of these cars? That's going to suck.

Originally Posted by AEMAXIMA01
33 really isnt that cold. its been between 0 and 10 here the past few days. The car is certainly not going to put out hot air right when you start it.
Sorry--apparently I was not communicating effectively. I could leave the car warming up for 30 minutes in the driveway with the thermostat set to 90°, and I'd never get a single blast of hot air. When it's cold outside, the only way to get hot air is to turn on the defroster, the switch back to Auto.

33° is plenty cold. 10° is cold to, but that doesn't make 33° warm.

Still in search of an answer . . . .
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by evalyn
So all your cars become unpredictable and unresponsive when it's cold outside? This is my first Nissan and I have only owned it for 6 months. Is this just a reality for drivers of these cars? That's going to suck.
No, that's not exactly what I said. I have no issues with my radio when it's 'cold' outside. You just may have one that does those sort of things.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM

So all your cars become unpredictable and Sorry--apparently I was not communicating effectively. I could leave the car warming up for 30 minutes in the driveway with the thermostat set to 90°, and I'd never get a single blast of hot air. When it's cold outside, the only way to get hot air is to turn on the defroster, the switch back to Auto.
even with the engine at working temp, still no hot air? that's weird.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM

I know what you Mean, my 00 SE would do some crazy things in the cold as well, and still does. My power steering doesnt work until the car is warm, my radio does similar things, and the car just straight hates the cold. As for your radio, I a concur with Mdeezy's theory of christmas past, thats definatly it. You need to uplift your christmas spirit and the car knows that, i mean ghost.. As for the Max and the cold, it is just like me and a prissy biotch when its cold outside. . as for the 33o temp. My car will act us and do its wierd things in that temp also, especially the power steering..
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM
I love lamp.

It's been in the 20-30 here, I don't have a problem. As for the climate control, if set to auto or econ, it doesn't work at all until the temp gauge has moved up, or I set it manually or to defrost.

S
Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM

mine works perfectly fine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Y-f73Qabg
Old 12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Weak heat?

When I first got my 02 Max I wasn't impressed by the heat. (auto climate control). No matter how warm the engine was, it never blew out the heat like my wife's VW Jetta.

Replacing the cabin air filter helped a lot. Check yours and see if it's plugged.

Also, check your thermostat - if it is stuck open it could cause the heater to suck.

Steve
Old 12-23-2008, 05:14 PM

Went through the same thing once..... discovered that one of my heater hoses was clogged. It's easy to check them, find them on your firewall and feel both hoses they should be hot if one is cold you have found your problem. Take hose off and flush it out. Another posibility can be your thermostat can be stuck open preventing coolant to warm up.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by wi-steve
When I first got my 02 Max I wasn't impressed by the heat. (auto climate control). No matter how warm the engine was, it never blew out the heat like my wife's VW Jetta.

Replacing the cabin air filter helped a lot. Check yours and see if it's plugged.

Also, check your thermostat - if it is stuck open it could cause the heater to suck.

Steve
mine warms up fine and stays there. the heater some times goes crazy like suddenly goes flaming hot.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

#1 My '01 SE AT seems to hate this cold weather (33° right now). This morning, when I got in the car, the volume **** on my radio simply wouldn't work. After fiddling with it for a while, I tried the steering wheel controls and found that they worked, although they were still very unresponsive. As soon as the car warmed up, everything with the radio returned to normal.

#2 While driving down the road a little while later, the radio all of a sudden switched stations on me. Thanks, Max, cause I needed to be listening to Christmas music anyways.

#3 Again when the car is cold, the heater will not engage if I just crank the **** to 90°. I have to hit the defrost button as well, and then minutes later I can hit Auto again and get what I want: warm air coming from the floor vents.

#4 I have this transmission issue that I already posted about, where there is very little power in 1st gear until the engine is warm.

Searching this forum and on Google didn't return much that was helpful. What the heck is wrong with my car?

Evalyn
In reference to number 4, you may want to check these threads for the issue with the plenum gasket.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by wi-steve

Steve

Impressed. my lady's Jettas heater is terrible. The car takes ages to warm up in 30 degree weather, and the car will drop in temperature when driving (cold air blowing in the front of the vehicle) its almost too effecient. Ha.. I totally spaced the In-cabin filter.. Right on