5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

anyone buy rtp slot/drilled rotors from automax?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 AM

anyone buy rtp slot/drilled rotors from automax?

hey i have bought from him in the past for lighting purposes and have always been happy. but anyone buy the rtp sloted/drilled rotors from automax in the group buy sections? for those that have what are your findings?

thanks in advance
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 AM

You should really think about just getting some blank rotors. Slotted/drilled rotors tear up your pads and they crack.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

i have rtp drilled and slotted

they are jus fine.

a lot better than my old brakes, they would get hot and fade really bad. just under normal driving.

mabey my normal driving isent so normal tho..
Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 PM

lol im just the opposite. How long have you had your rtp slotted/drilled rotors for? I have original 90k rotors,never cut and only second set of pads in 90 k. so id say im more than easy on my brakes and slow down way before i have to stop.

i have heard of the problems from slotted/drilled but from my understanding its caused from 3rd party people slotting/drilling them their selfs. In the group buy section another vendor also has the brembo ones that are drilled/slotted at their factory and come with warranty.

plain and simple i just like the way they look. and the blembo rotors plus my ease on the brakes should hopefully lead to no problems.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
You embarrass me.

I have the RTP slotted rotors w/ Axxis Metal Master pads, all purchased from Jason @ RTP. They have been on my car since ~50,000 miles, and my car just hit 100,000 a few days ago. They have held up great, no problems whatsoever, and still very confident in the braking power. I drive somewhat aggressively and the system has seen it's share of abuse. Currently, I am looking into replacing them for only reason of upgrading to the Z32 Calipers w/ Cobra rotors, which will be from RTP.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM

thanks for info. i would be totally happy with 50k out of them and most likely ill get alot more since im really easy on my brakes. i want to do an upgrade of all four drilled rotors (although all plus pads are fine) with akebono pads for the very little brake dust they kick up.

id love to do the cobra rotors with the z32 calipers but i think id have fitment issues.

im still torn and will call dave b tomorrow about details but i wanted to do the 6th gen calipers and rotor upgrade as well. just not sure they will clear my spoke pattern though. rims are 35mm offset from lexus factory but then i bored out rear of wheels so our larger hub could fit in it so ?.

as it is now the front wheels, inside spoke come very close to touching the front calipers. not sure if 6th gen caliper is same size just 4 piston or larger or what? also not sure on how much lager rotor is. really hope i can upgrade but if not ill at least do the drilled rotors and new pads and why not throw some spacers while im in there.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got the RTP zinc coated slotted rotors and installed them last summer. They have probably 10-15k on them now. No problems and the zinc coating has lasted well through the winter so far. There is a slight hum when braking because of the slots, but is not bad. I would personally avoid the drilled rotors. They are much more likely to crack. Cracking is not much of an issue with the slotted rotors.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 AM

The 6th Gen rotors are 12.6" IIRC, and are single piston, just with a larger piston than the stock 5.5 Gens.

Don't take my word for it, but +35 mm rims (and I assume they are at least 17-18s) should fit over the 6th Gen brakes. Even the 5.5 Gen stock SE 17s with +48 mm offset fit over those brakes.

Anyway, FWIW, I have 6th Gen RTP blanks with Hawk HPS for about 4k miles and they have held up well in the short time I've had them. Very satisfied with the performance. Zinc coating looks pretty good still too.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I've had the crossdrilled and slotted rotors from Automax for over 45K miles with no issues what so ever. Just recently replaced the front pads. Rotors were not warped or cracked at all.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM

thanks guys. i called dave b today but 6th gen calipers went from 60 to 220 a caliper so im just going to keep my 5th gen calipers, get the zinc rtp slotted rotors with some steel brake lines and call it a day. ill let him recommend the brake pads and be done with it ;(

really WANTED to do a bbk/brake upgrade but honestly i dont NEED it, just winter bordom setting in i guess ha ha ha. oh well i think the zinc and slotted will be a huge cosmetic upgrade any how. got my original stock with huge amounts of rust that you can clearly see with my rim design.

thanks again
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM

I understand that many people in here have posted about there great experience with Automax95 and the RTP rotors, & I'm sure my experience was just a random fluke, and I believe all of you when you say that you had an excellent experience, so I don't need any of you to reiterate your great experience or tell me I'm wrong. But the rotors that a customer had bought from him and given to me to install were junk right out of the box, they were warped 1/4" or more and the car was undriveable and it could have damaged the pads, calipers, or slides, luckily it didn't because I'm sure Automax95 wouldn't have done a damn thing about it considering once he received the rotors back and confirmed that they were junk he was only willing to send out a replacement set (not needed at that point) yet made the customer pay the shipping on the replacement set. My complaint thread got locked, then eventually a year later casually deleted, but in it a few mods sided with Automax95 and nobody would believe me that he was lying about what he had said to the customer or how many times the customer had contacted him. One mod even went so far as to say that I was to blame for having to charge the customer extra labor because "I should have checked the runout on the rotors with a dial indicator before installing them" WTF, funny he made that comment then immediatly relocked the thread.

Out of the hundred or so rotors I've installed before & after, quite a few of which were cheapo's, I have yet to see another new rotor that even gave a hint of pedal shudder on the highway, yet those were undriveable.

If it's not to late, I'd go through ImportRP instead.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2k0to2k3
thanks guys. i called dave b today but 6th gen calipers went from 60 to 220 a caliper so im just going to keep my 5th gen calipers, get the zinc rtp slotted rotors with some steel brake lines and call it a day. ill let him recommend the brake pads and be done with it ;(
I got my 6th Gen calipers off car-part.com for 90 shipped. Just look around a little (and exercise proper judgment) and you'll find something.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:41 PM

just got my rotors, but are any of your zinc plated rotors silver? everyone that pmed me pics of their zinc plated rotors were a goldish bronze color. These look like regular, non zinc rotors. how would i tell if these were really zinc plated? thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 AM

yes....mine were silver. They are definitly zinc plated because they still have not rusted at all, and we are half way through a pretty nasty winter.

You will know for sure after you use them a bit. Where the pads rub off the zinc, you will see the difference between the plain steel and the zinc plated.

The zinc coating is basically galvanizing. So if you go to the hardware store and look at galvanized nails or screws, the surface of the rotors should be similar to what the nails and screws look like.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

oh ok thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
BARF

Im waiting for mine and im doing the 6th gen upgrade. I will let you know and post pics when im done.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
BARF

Here are the pics of the parts I have and got from him. The quality is great.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM

i got the delux ceramic pads because he said they woulod not produce much dust and have good longeity since i dont brake hard and am very easy on them.

had all work done at shop. mechanic noted that they were in fact slighly warped in front cause he could feel it through pedal. he said give it a couple of weeks and see if it breaks in or he could cut them slightly to tune them. honestly was not enough shutter to make me take action even if it did not go away.

however they are now sqealing like a beotch and that i cant live with. both while moving and being applied.

been about week and a half now and they dont sqeal as bad while not braking anymore but they do make noise. and when i actually brake they make all kinds of sqeal.

what am i missing here? i have to stop this!!!!! thanks for any help in advance
what am i missing here?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Ceramic brakes do tend to squeal more. My Max and my wifes Pathfinder both squeal when it's colder out or stuck in traffic. Can be very annoying, but it's just the pads.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Bad *** Newb

I bought my 2000 max with brembo drilled/slotted on it and ceramic pads (I can't recall if it also had brembo calipers, if it did, then it explains the perf). I was INCREDIBLY impressed with the perf. I had nearly slick yokos (but they were really sticky) and I can tell you that it could out brake any other stock car on the road (assuming it's under $100k lol).

I never had any problems with squealing or squeaking no matter the temps or how hard I was on them. I'm still impressed thinking about them. Maybe a lot of it was the tires (since they barely squeaked when braking), but I have no qualms recommending them 100%.

RIP 2000 maxi

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-04-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Kevlo for President

I have the 6th gen RTP rotors and they are great, it has been over 2 years and no rust or resurfacing needed. I run them with the 300zx tt calipers
Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
BARF

Mine do not make any noise and they are true. I put all 4 rotors on the brake lathe before I put them on to make sure. I have also drove my car to the mountain 3 times sence the brake job and the rotors have not rusted. I love the zink coating, it keeps um looking brand new.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 AM

so maybe its the ceramic or do they need to be cut or both. i cant take any squeal at all. i had akebono pads on it before and never made a sound for 80k miles. then again had reg rotors, not drilled slotted. what do you guys think. should i just buy new pads like the akebono?

also the coating is not perfectly around rotor where brake shoes hit it. looks like it may have pulled off chunks of the coating.

ahh this really sucks, i must have got a real crappy pair