5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Umnitza Orion V2 Angel Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM

Umnitza Orion V2 Angel Eyes

Ok guys..i had some email back and forth with üm•nitza about a group buy on these.
Basically im on the fence so if there's enough interest here I'm in. Looks like they would be willing to do a group buy if we meet a min purchase order of course. I'd like to see who would be in-this is for the orion V2 LED angel eyes for the 02/03 (or anyone with this style). The price mentioned was $165 Shipped! (for the first 20)

Maybe lets see whos interested and go from there before starting the group buy official thread...yea?

[link to sexiness] http://www.umnitza.com/product_info....oducts_id=1246

Last edited by nissandrvr98; 02-12-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:37 PM

I'm waiting for the full rings but if you need someone to start up ill be number 2.
I'd like to get my yellow turn signals cleared out in this process as well.
Thats my only stipulation.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:50 PM

!!!!

Sounds good to me. These are much better than getting halo headlight assemble off ebay. Just how hard are these to install, and do they run while your regular headlights are on or just alone? Also, to clear out the turning signals inside the headlight, does umnitza sell clear lens' to do that or is that something you do yourself?

Last edited by yamahaman88; 01-16-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

I'm interested.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Those look really nice.. I would love to see them on at night..
Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 PM

im interested I just need to know how to install.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm sure he'll come in and say something. I think he said he had the full rings available. As far as clearing the turn signal I remember they said they could do it while the housing is off when they install the rings. I also want to have detail instructions on the install ( run with/without running light) or directions on wiring them with the fogs. As long as they come with install options I'm in on the group buy.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'll be interested only after I see pics of the actual full rings, because the picture on the site still has the incomplete ring that has the plastic clip piece cutting off part of the headlight.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:08 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/members/gvi...-orion-v2.html

here are the best pics of this guys install without the full rings.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:24 PM

^^yes, the bar across the top is gone and with regard to having them clear your turns...this is for the rings ONLY, Shipped to you. This group buy will not include the shipping of your lights to umnitza or any other services etc. The price is for the rings/shipping to you only.

I'm very happy to see the interest here..ill update umnitza this week on this and hopefully get them to post in the Group Buy forums.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know that I'm a newbie, but I'm interested as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM

For anyone thinking of jumping on this:

1) Find out if Umnitza has fixed the issues with cold weather and ballast failure (if you live in a cold climate)
2) Opening your headlights is a b*tch..it takes time and is messy..if you dont seal them back properly you will have consistent condensation in your housings.
3) Consider this CCFL system as an alternative: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...yes/Categories
This option is significantly cheaper and I can personally vouch for the quality and performance of the part as well as its outstanding performance in cold weather.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 AM

Wow those look nice. still 120 for just the rings. I think they were going to charge me 190 to do the install, then 20 or so to clear the turn signals. 210 not including shipping both ways
Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by M1RAG3

1) Find out if Umnitza has fixed the issues with cold weather and ballast failure (if you live in a cold climate)
2) Opening your headlights is a b*tch..it takes time and is messy..if you dont seal them back properly you will have consistent condensation in your housings.
3) Consider this CCFL system as an alternative: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...yes/Categories
This option is significantly cheaper and I can personally vouch for the quality and performance of the part as well as its outstanding performance in cold weather.
1) These are NOT CCFL..they are LED rings.

2) Yes..opening your headlights is kind of tricky but not out of the realm of 'doable'.

3) CCFL have and will continue to have issues which is why they've updated to LED's-they're more consistent, reliable, far brighter, use less electricity and have no cold weather issues.

Please read the info on their site-link is earlier in this thread

Thanks guys!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by nissandrvr98
1) These are NOT CCFL..they are LED rings.

2) Yes..opening your headlights is kind of tricky but not out of the realm of 'doable'.

3) CCFL have and will continue to have issues which is why they've updated to LED's-they're more consistent, reliable, far brighter, use less electricity and have no cold weather issues.

Please read the info on their site-link is earlier in this thread

Thanks guys!
1) Ok then so there are 60 LEDs in each ring which each have their own probability of failure...more working parts = more working parts liable to fail...Ill take my chances with ONE CCFL ring as opposed to SIXTY LEDs.

2) Are you kidding me? Where did I say it wasnt "doable"? I have opened my projector headlights, installed TSX projectors, and done a CCFL retrofit of my LED angel eyes, AND sealed them back with no condensation yet (still praying lol)...so you dont need to tell me what YOU THINK is doable...try it for yourself and then comment on it because if you have no experience working with headlights you dont get make comments like that...noob. 39 posts?

Lets see what you said:
more consistent : wtf does this mean?

reliable : not proven fact

far brighter : blatantly untrue

use less electricity : depends on your ballast

have no cold weather issues : not from the issues my friends are having with their Umnitza DDEs up here in Canada...Umnitza had to release a special "cold weather" ballast a while back...but you wouldnt know anything about that right? I hope for your sake their build quality has improved.

3) What would yo know about CCFLs having "issues"...have you ever owned a set? Didnt think so. LEDs are proven to fail much faster in a high temperature environment...HID headlights = high output of HEAT right into your headlight housing where your precious LED angel eyes are installed...you do the math.

The bottom line is this...I have a lot of experience working with maxima headlights...while I am no "expert" I have spend many hours slaving over my projectors in an attempt to make them better and more unique...I have significant experience working with angel eyes...from retrofitting brighter LEDs into my ebay projectors to retrofitting the whole angel eye system with a CCFL one...the intention of my post was to shed some light on what I believe to be an excellent CCFL system that is much cheaper than the Orion V2..I am not making any money off putting in my 2 cents in this thread nor am I trying to advertise for retro-solutions I am just a maxima owner trying to help another maxima owner with some advice in an area in which I believe I do have some beneficial advice to impart....if though you were just going to bash my post like a wise *** then you were mistaken.

Last edited by M1RAG3; 01-20-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:14 AM

man i want in on this but too bad I dont have money
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 AM

1) Ok then so there are 60 LEDs in each ring which each have their own probability of failure...more working parts = more working parts liable to fail...Ill take my chances with ONE CCFL ring as opposed to SIXTY LEDs.

2) Are you kidding me? Where did I say it wasnt "doable"? I have opened my projector headlights, installed TSX projectors, and done a CCFL retrofit of my LED angel eyes, AND sealed them back with no condensation yet (still praying lol)...so you dont need to tell me what YOU THINK is doable...try it for yourself and then comment on it because if you have no experience working with headlights you dont get make comments like that...noob. 39 posts?

Lets see what you said:
more consistent : wtf does this mean?

reliable : not proven fact

far brighter : blatantly untrue

use less electricity : depends on your ballast

have no cold weather issues : not from the issues my friends are having with their Umnitza DDEs up here in Canada...Umnitza had to release a special "cold weather" ballast a while back...but you wouldnt know anything about that right? I hope for your sake their build quality has improved.

3) What would yo know about CCFLs having "issues"...have you ever owned a set? Didnt think so. LEDs are proven to fail much faster in a high temperature environment...HID headlights = high output of HEAT right into your headlight housing where your precious LED angel eyes are installed...you do the math.

The bottom line is this...I have a lot of experience working with maxima headlights...while I am no "expert" I have spend many hours slaving over my projectors in an attempt to make them better and more unique...I have significant experience working with angel eyes...from retrofitting brighter LEDs into my ebay projectors to retrofitting the whole angel eye system with a CCFL one...the intention of my post was to shed some light on what I believe to be an excellent CCFL system that is much cheaper than the Orion V2..I am not making any money off putting in my 2 cents in this thread nor am I trying to advertise for retro-solutions I am just a maxima owner trying to help another maxima owner with some advice in an area in which I believe I do have some beneficial advice to impart....if though you were just going to bash my post like a wise *** then you were mistaken.

Dont get ur panties up in a bunch here kid. I've been modding cars since you were in f******g pampers. So be easy.

I've also been building and modifying computers for a decade and have used cold cathodes there as well...nothing but problems including burnout, fade, black spots and the list goes on. This is why so many applications have turned to the reliability and flexibility available with LED's.

your intentions aside, the intent of this thread is to gauge member interest in a group buy. If you dont want in then skip along

Last edited by nissandrvr98; 01-20-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

i would be down for a group deal
Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 AM

I just installed these last night and they are sooo sick! Install takes a while but it's not too difficult. They're so bright! I'll try to post some night pics in the next couple of days (if the pics turn out). These are definitely worth it and much better than the Thinline version (i had so many problems with those).
Orion V2 FTW!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM

jowo9...i know the nite pics may come out poorly but its worth a shot...thanks for the install info too!

Spooled VQ i've put you on a running list if when/if this works out. cool?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM

jowo9 full rings or cut off's? get the pics and install up
Old 01-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Chalk me up for a set...

Hopefully these are better than the Thinline version... I bought about 3 sets of those since ive had the car from 03.

Oh yeah Sig. Pic is back in the day when the thinline Umnitza DDEs were fully functional...
Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 AM

These don't have a ballast, they plug directly into the headlights.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ICULookN
Correct..

Greeneyes..i've also put you on the list for now.

Heres the list as it stands (those interested)
-Tippy Toes
-yamahaman88
-diverdown3
-Blitzfist
-roggeezy
-BLACKREIGN
-SpooledVQ35
-Greeneyes

Let me know who else is interested-we need 20 and have 8.
Thanks for all your interest guys-keep it coming!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

throw me on but i'll buy before if i have to wait too long.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Dont get ur panties up in a bunch here kid. I've been modding cars since you were in f******g pampers. So be easy.
Nobody cares how long you've been doing anything....you dont just automatically get respect by doing something for a long time. I have only had my maxima for 3 years...but I'm sure I can provide any maxima owner with a bit of useful input here and there. I have done my headlights, suspension, and full custom audio system all in the garage of my house so I know what DIY means.

Your post basically asserts that you are an "adult" but you already evidenced the fact that you are not very mature with the pampers remark, isnt that a bit contradictory?

I've also been building and modifying computers for a decade and have used cold cathodes there as well...nothing but problems including burnout, fade, black spots and the list goes on.
WTF do you use a cold cathode for in a COMPUTER? Are you one of those geeks who spends their time putting little blue lights in their CPU cases so it can light up at night? Have you installed those cooling fans with the LEDs also? So let me get this straight...are you saying you installed LIGHTS on/inside of a COMPUTER?

BTW....last time I checked computer components were not compatible with autmotive products that are meant to run off 12-14.4V w/o an inverter. Computer products =/= Automotive products so dont compare them.

Regardless...best of luck to all with the group buy! I hope to eventually hear some feedback about the product or see some more pics of it installed in your rides.

Last edited by M1RAG3; 01-20-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 PM

Ok, first things first. For the 00-03 max, DON'T bother with the predator thinlines. Summed up I had the following go wrong with them: 1 ring was shipped broken (they're extremely fragile), 1 ballast didn't work from the very beginning, after I got the new ballast the first one that initially worked fizzled and died, all the rings were different colors, they have trouble starting up in the cold, and they're not very bright.
Save yourself the trouble, spend the extra $40, and get the Orion V2. They are much more durable and have NONE of the problems that I described for the thinlines. They're durable, LED, no cold issues, NO BALLAST=WAY BETTER, and they're better insulated.
As far as install goes, I didn't take pictures of that, but if you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. The rings have clips on them, so first I broke those off (because they don't fit) and sanded them flat. Then I installed the rings with quick-setting epoxy in the same manner that housecor describes in his write-up for the thinlines. http://www.shiftice.com/angel_eyes.html
Then, I routed the wires out the back of the low beam part of the headlight and connected them to the wires from the harness. I attached the relay to the battery tiedown and grounded the relay under the fan box screw (see housecor's write-up) and connected positive wire with the fuse to the battery.
The relay for the Orion V2's has 2 TRIGGER WIRES. You only need to use one, and at first I did that. I used a quick splice connector to connect the red trigger wire to the green parking light wire on the driver's side headlight. This way the lights come on with both the parking lights and the headlights.
I then decided I wanted to be able to turn the angel eyes on when the headlights and parking lights weren't on, so I extended and routed the 2nd trigger wire (brown) to the inside of the car under the steering wheel, put a regular SPST switch in the wire and used a quick splice connector to tap into the green wire going into the bottom of the fusebox. (it's a 12 V power source that's on when the car's on) (see http://www.shiftice.com/dde_switch.html )
I didn't write an in depth installation here because basically I followed housecor's write-up for thinline installation (it's pretty much the same, but the Orion V2 has 2 trigger wires, which is nice) This write-up is the best I've found anywhere and I've looked all over for a long time.
If anyone has questions pertaining to anything more specific, I'd be happy to answer them. As for pics, I'll try to post some ASAP but I don't have my camera yet. They are the cutout ones, and they look awesome. I can't see anyone being disappointed with these.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 AM

thanks jowo9...good feedback on the DDE's. i probably would've considered them just based on price but knowing these things in advance lead me to the V2's. good deal.

Torgus..i've got you on the list.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Buyers beware, local pick up recommended. Slow to ship out items already paid for.

whats the difference between the orion and the predetor halos?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 AM

whats the difference between the orion and the predetor halos?
Well, read my post a couple posts before yours. I listed advantages and disadvantages. Or you can look at this link: http://www.umnitza.com/information.p...31fa&info_id=6
Or I'll just type it again

Orion V2- 60 SMT LED rings, unbreakable, rated for much longer life, no ballast, waaaaayyy brighter, always uniform great color, no cold startup issues, better insulated.

Predator Thinline- CCFL (gas filled glass tube), very fragile (1 of my 1st rings came shipped broken), not nearly as bright, not as long of life (especially if you have the problems I did with them... gaa what a nightmare!), they have a ballast (I had problems with 2 ballasts in 2 weeks... 1 didn't work from the beginning and the 2nd burnt out after 2 weeks), different colors depending on temperature, cold startup problems, no insulation so water leaks into the ballast and fries it.

I have tried both, and hands down the Orion V2's are better.

(I took some night shots tonight and I'll post them ASAP. The pics are not that great, but that's because the Orion V2's are SO BRIGHT! I had to turn the EV compensation on the camera way down to even get the rings to show up, so just know that they look infinitely better in person. I had my girlfriend drive my car behind me while I drove hers and WOW, they're amazing.)
Old 01-22-2009, 06:23 AM

(I took some night shots tonight and I'll post them ASAP. The pics are not that great, but that's because the Orion V2's are SO BRIGHT! I had to turn the EV compensation on the camera way down to even get the rings to show up, so just know that they look infinitely better in person. I had my girlfriend drive my car behind me while I drove hers and WOW, they're amazing.)
nice cant wait to see
Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 AM

i just want iron man lights for my 2000 max

if not ill just stick with the retro 03's
Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by dewd
i just want iron man lights for my 2000 max

if not ill just stick with the retro 03's
what like in the helmet...the pulsing ones?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jowo9
I just installed these last night and they are sooo sick! Install takes a while but it's not too difficult. They're so bright! I'll try to post some night pics in the next couple of days (if the pics turn out). These are definitely worth it and much better than the Thinline version (i had so many problems with those).
Orion V2 FTW!
We concur/agree 100%

Originally Posted by ICULookN
Correct on the first part, but they get a wiring harness that has 2 triggers first is primary - to the turn signals if you want, second is great to use as a trigger off the interior lighting.

Originally Posted by jowo9
Well, read my post a couple posts before yours. I listed advantages and disadvantages. Or you can look at this link: http://www.umnitza.com/information.p...31fa&info_id=6
Or I'll just type it again

Orion V2- 60 SMT LED rings, unbreakable, rated for much longer life, no ballast, waaaaayyy brighter, always uniform great color, no cold startup issues, better insulated.

Predator Thinline- CCFL (gas filled glass tube), very fragile (1 of my 1st rings came shipped broken), not nearly as bright, not as long of life (especially if you have the problems I did with them... gaa what a nightmare!), they have a ballast (I had problems with 2 ballasts in 2 weeks... 1 didn't work from the beginning and the 2nd burnt out after 2 weeks), different colors depending on temperature, cold startup problems, no insulation so water leaks into the ballast and fries it.

I have tried both, and hands down the Orion V2's are better.

Your experience is the reason we came up with this product.

Some facts please:

3X brighter than anything else on the market for CCFL.
Unbreakable - over 2000 units shipped already and exactly 0 failures, no failures at all - not on the component, not the LED.
No cold issues.
No ballasts.
Can also run on the car for 3 days off the battery without draining it.

Our ThinLine offering was using the best CCFL rings by a company that makes them for GE/Philips. These rings were and still are the highest quality rings we could find for CCFL. All these other companies jumping in STILL do not use our supplier (we know, we check) and their stuff is often misshapen, splotchy and exhibits more of the failings of CCFL like cold start and discoloration over time.

It's time to move on, we have. The Orion V2 is the most advanced kit we've ever done.

Right now, we're also finishing up a multi-color version that allows you to determine which color you want. however, that kit is 2X the price of the kit we are offering to you - $299+ - there will be a limited availability starting March.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Yup, just like Umnitza says, 2 trigger wires is great. I wired one to the green wire of my parking lights (so they're on whenever the headlights or parking lights are on) and I extended the other trigger wire into the cabin of the car, put a switch in it, and spliced it into a 12 V power source by the fusebox so I can switch them on or off from inside the car, even when the headlights and parking lights are off. (great for daytime, because the Orion V2's are so bright you can see them well during the day!)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM

what like in the helmet...the pulsing ones?
No like on the infiniti cars on the road with the dot/bulbs design instead on the halo rings

I'll try and find a pic for example when I get home cause I'm not sure how to copy paste with my iphone but trust me those lights look sick bro I can only imagine how theyd look on a max
Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Actually these light are kinds nice I just wish your next product I ironman I'd buy 2 sets asap lol
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 AM

Is this what you mean? These are like the Audi R8 lights but on a max. They're amazing.
http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...-new-pics.html
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Umnitza, will you give a discount to previous owners of your products? I have the original angel eyes you made for the 5.5 gen installed but disconnected since there is no replacement bulbs when one goes out. I also have a brand new predator 2 thinline that I bought last year that I never installed because of the complaints about the cold weather issues.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are there full rings yet?

Quick Reply: Umnitza Orion V2 Angel Eyes