5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2 VIN's on one car? What the f....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM

2 VIN's on one car? What the f....

Well this thread goes with my original one titled "issues with SECU and windows", but the story has taken a wild turn...
My wifes car was in an accident in DEC 07. When the dealer replaced the center post on the left side btwn the doors, they left the sticker on it from the junk car they took it from. Of course everyone knows this sticker has the VIN on it. When I took the car in several months back to have them take a look at the window issue, they said it was the SECU and it wasnt covered under warranty. After I looked into my warranty info, I found that it WAS covered. So i took the car BACK in and explained the deal to the service writer. After we looked into the warranty and stuff, we found out that they had used the VIN off of the sticker on the center post because it was easier to read than the plate on the dash. So my car was in their system under some other car, which is whay it came back that the warranty was out. They also informed me it is a class 6 felony for a body shop to remove VIN's off any parts they install into cars, incase the DMV wants to investigate and see if they used stolen parts, which is why they left the sticker on.
Now I am having to deal with the body shop that was fixing the car, the dealer they took my car to to get the windows fixed (because the body shop couldnt find the root of the window issues), the warranty company, and the insurance company we filed under (which we no longer have coverage from that insurance company cuz we changed). I am trying to get re-imbursed for the money I spent on the SECU I purchased because it all should have been fixed the first time. I am also trying to get around the deductible because, again, this should have been fixed a year ago when they were first fixing the car.
Before any of this can happen, we have to get the warranty put into my name because it is under my mother-in-laws name.
I think that about sum's it up without having to write a novel... but it looks like I already have........
Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Sounds like a total blast, man. Good luck with it.

I just found out mine was a rental from Colorado.

I've owned it for three years without knowing it, and two days ago I noticed a faded sticker on the inside of the door, and instead of disregarding it as I usually do, I inspected - National Rent-a-car, with the car number, and branch number. I called them, gave them the dash VIN, and they confirmed.

Guh.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeisai

I've owned it for three years without knowing it, and two days ago I noticed a faded sticker on the inside of the door, and instead of disregarding it as I usually do, I inspected - National Rent-a-car, with the car number, and branch number. I called them, gave them the dash VIN, and they confirmed.

Guh.
Wow that will ruin your day.
iam sure you herd all the rental car horror stories
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jeisai

Guh.
If you bought that car from a dealer in California, they would have had to disclose the fact that it was a rental car to you at the time of sale. I think a lot of other states have similar laws.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM

I purchased it from United Nissan in Las Vegas, NV, and it wasn't on the Carfax report.

That dealership was shady, too. I noticed a while after I bought it that the front right side had been replaced/repaired - a la a front right side collision.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
If you bought that car from a dealer in California, they would have had to disclose the fact that it was a rental car to you at the time of sale. I think a lot of other states have similar laws.
It's probably disclosed somewhere in the stack of papers that nobody reads that he signed when he bought the the car.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM

I have a feeling this will get ugly. Everyone is going to start blaming everyone else because no one will want to pay for it...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 PM

wow crazy
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much was the SECU? If its only a couple hundred, all the loops you will have to jump through will most likely not be worth it. That is if you come out victorious at the end. These guys know how to screw you and they will try everything because to them, it is better to screw you over than get screwed over. GL...you gonna need it.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I think a lot of other states have similar laws.
not PA unfortunately
Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 AM

Well I got good news. The dealer looked at the car and determined that the things that are wrong with the car are caused by the accident (because of where the car was hit) a year ago. So I got a hold of the insurance company that we had at that time, they sent out an adjuster to the dealer and said everything is cool to fix. The parts are on order, and the car will be fixed (again) (hopefully) by the end of the week, no charge to us. So looks like the dealer is screwing the insurance company cuz they are paying for a car they dont even insure!!! But then again if they made sure the dealer fixed it right the first time, they woulodnt be having this problem.
As soon as the car is fixed were getting rid of that piece of shiat. GOnna trade it in on something else.
Anybody in the market for an 03 Maxima? Low miles, new paint and new power window parts.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA