5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 gen headlight disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
You embarrass me.

5.5 gen headlight disassembly

Not the usual questions here, and looking for some advice from people who have disassembled/retrofitted/etc.

1. Ballast fried. Also melted the plug that enters the ballast. Is this harness removable? I see the large grommet but just wondering if anyone had to replace this for any reason?

2. Condensation kicked my low-beam reflector's ***. Basically, my headlight was holding some water (possibly what caused the ballast to fry via connector and thru the ignitor) and removed the chrome plating from the reflector.

I tried to remove this once (on a dead set of lights) for a TSX retro, but failed miserably because of the adjustment ball holding it in. Is there a way to remove the bowl without breaking it to shreds?

Most of you will say to replace the light, but I've spent some time modifying them (custom painted / cleared / etc) so I'd like to salvage this one.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
I love lamp.

Good news is the ballast sits on a tray that is easily removeable. The harness is a different story as it runs thru the housing. If the wires are okay, you could probably cut the bad one off and soldier a new on in (is it the harness plug that is melted, or the entire harness?). Otherwise it's probably a bit more work to get that wiring out and new on in.

S
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
You embarrass me.

Originally Posted by maximase86
Good news is the ballast sits on a tray that is easily removeable. The harness is a different story as it runs thru the housing. If the wires are okay, you could probably cut the bad one off and soldier a new on in (is it the harness plug that is melted, or the entire harness?). Otherwise it's probably a bit more work to get that wiring out and new on in.

S
As far as I can see, the harness plug is melted inside, not all the way up, but I'd prefer to lay down fresh wire IF I can.

I should have a new pair of ballasts coming to me shortly.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I love lamp.

I guess the only way to really tell how the wires are routed inside is to get that reflector off, but I haven't gone that far. What might help is to use the adjuster to push the reflector out. What might work is to turn the adjuster to the relector moves out. However how to take the pivots out, I'm not sure since I didn't have to take my headlights that far apart.

S