5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hard shifts and CEL lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM

Hard shifts and CEL lights

Alright, I need help.
My car is shifting rather hard and delayed. It is getting really bad and I am getting worried that my tranny might be going out. When I hit it or am at WOT the shifts between 2 to 3rd, or 3rd to 4th the shifts lag 1-3 seconds. The shift from 1st-2nd is sometimes hard, but not as much as an issue.

My SEL comes on and off. The original reason for the light was the P0420 code for an O2 sensor and catty. I ignored the problem and the light went off. The light keeps coming back on and off.. Finally I ponied up for the code scanner and $140 later, I plug it in to run the codes as my light is on. It tries to search for a code and cannot find one. I cleared the code and it hasn't popped back up yet. The shifts are still hard and or delayed though.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I drive:
2000 Max SE (Automatic)
154,000 Miles
and the only performance mod that has been installed is a WAI. These issues were not prevalent when the WAI was installed.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Also to add, if I drive really slow, like grandma status, it manages to shift smoother, but the problem is still noticeable.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by madsen203
I plug it in to run the codes as my light is on. It tries to search for a code and cannot find one. I cleared the code and it hasn't popped back up yet.
So you bought a scanner and tried to use it to find the code because CEL was on, but the scanner can't find the code, and so you cleared the code and the light stayed off?

Anyways... I believe I read it on here somewhere that the P0420 can possibly caused by a malfunction in the software which can be fixed via update at local dealership for free within a certain period of time/mileage.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:50 PM

the intake has nothing to do with your problem.. if the hesitation is only when the car shifts, then it's probably your tranny slipping.. it might be just the solenoid pack or TCM going bad.. how are you with preventative transmission maintenance?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
the intake has nothing to do with your problem.. if the hesitation is only when the car shifts, then it's probably your tranny slipping.. it might be just the solenoid pack or TCM going bad.. how are you with preventative transmission maintenance?
I bought the car with 142,000 miles. It was in great running condition when I got it. With in a 1000 miles of purchasing the max, I changed out the Tranny fluid doing the drain & refill method using the exact amount of the fluid that came out 3-4 times. I didn't use synthetic fluid, but wasn't bottom of the line fluid either.

I did add the LUCAS tranny slip fix stuff. Around 15oz worth about 2000 miles ago.

I don't have TCS.

In regards to the buying the scanner... totally lame! It had the code light on, I plugged it in. Couldn't find a dang thing, and then I cleared it. Nothing since. I carry it in my glove box so I can pull over the next time it lights up.

I added the thing about the WAI because I didn't know if it could be MAF related as I have already had to replace that at 145,000.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 PM

i have the same slip issue and the same "grandma fix"

not sure what to do atm. I dont wanna shell out a grand and change the solenoids and the tcm only to find out the problem remained. Has those fixes even worked for anyone?
From what i know, the solenoids or the tcm dont even give out error codes which makes it that much difficult to diagnose the problem...

Some say its the VB (valve body) that's faulty just fyi
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
i have the same slip issue and the same "grandma fix"

not sure what to do atm. I dont wanna shell out a grand and change the solenoids and the tcm only to find out the problem remained. Has those fixes even worked for anyone?
From what i know, the solenoids or the tcm dont even give out error codes which makes it that much difficult to diagnose the problem...

Some say its the VB (valve body) that's faulty just fyi
Excuse me for the noobness of a comment:
What abouts in the Valve body would cause this problem? I am used to driving a stick and having a clutch slip... not an automatic slipping. Guess that is what I get for buying the high-mileage MAX.

Would rebuilding the tranny fix this? I don't think this car is worth 1500-2000 to put new parts/labor in.

HAS ANYONE FIXED THIS BEFORE? I want her fixed....
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Excuse me for the noobness of a comment:
What abouts in the Valve body would cause this problem? I am used to driving a stick and having a clutch slip... not an automatic slipping. Guess that is what I get for buying the high-mileage MAX.

Would rebuilding the tranny fix this? I don't think this car is worth 1500-2000 to put new parts/labor in.

HAS ANYONE FIXED THIS BEFORE? I want her fixed....
im a noob myself but from what i have read, the valve body controls the hydraulic pressure which in turn control the gearset.
There's a thread here on modifying the valve body with an aftermarket shift kit. You can check it out and see if its for you...
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...shift-kit.html
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by denny_1986
im a noob myself but from what i have read, the valve body controls the hydraulic pressure which in turn control the gearset.
There's a thread here on modifying the valve body with an aftermarket shift kit. You can check it out and see if its for you...
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...shift-kit.html
Is it really worth the ~$500 to do it on a tranny with 160K miles?

Can I get opinions from people who have them, or have had them for a long period of time?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 PM

There is a technical service bulletin about the 2k max and erattic auto trans shifting. TSB-00-039 superceeded by TSB-00-039A. It talks about a new valve & harness assembly being needed. I looked it up and it costs something like $350. But this problem does not cause a cel light.

You can read the bulletin here:
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb...Years&tsb=none
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM

Is it really worth the ~$500 to do it on a tranny with 160K miles?

Can I get opinions from people who have them, or have had them for a long period of time?
im not sure. My friend has an 00 max with 150K miles and he said he had this same problem for as long as he remembers (he bought it new). The car still drives as it did before according to him so i guess as long as u keep up with the maintenance and learn how to play around with the acceleration to avoid hard shifts, then hopefully you should be ok (me too )