5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dropped off the car today (Header and Spacer Install)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Weeble1
242 seems a little low to me bro...
Yeah its kinda low, but the baseline was kinda high.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 PM

thats low somehting is wrong
Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Well at certain rpms, there is a 20whp difference. But total hp was only a 12hp gain. I just love how it feels now, I just need some guidance on the exhaust!

And I'm not sure what kind of dyno he runs or if it reads low. I'm not really sure.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 PM

well maybe cuse headers is low-mids and spacers are mid i think
Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by importcf
well maybe cuse headers is low-mids and spacers are mid i think
headers are mid-topend
Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
headers are mid-topend
I'm gonna post up the graph later tonight. It looiks good haha
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by diverdown3
Is that Canadian? If so, I wonder what the exchange rate was at the time.
Yes Canadian, and this was over 2 months ago now so whatever the rate was back then.

Viperboy, as for making your exhaust quieter you should get rid of your test pipe if you have one and replace it with a Cattman Fastcat. I had to play around with many exhaust components until I found the right level of sound for me. I finally settled on the Megan CB.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by skidz88
Yes Canadian, and this was over 2 months ago now so whatever the rate was back then.

Viperboy, as for making your exhaust quieter you should get rid of your test pipe if you have one and replace it with a Cattman Fastcat. I had to play around with many exhaust components until I found the right level of sound for me. I finally settled on the Megan CB.
I don't care how loud it is really, just as long as its not so raspyyy haha I just want it a little quieter. Would a regular cat stop the raspyness? I thought a fastcat might still be buzzy.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by skidz88

megan cb ftw! send your ecu to ts and break out

Last edited by phxgold; 04-02-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

Headers are mid-top. Hell...those alone should add 12HP, a tune should all more to that. You won't see anything top end with the spacers but mid range should be nice with those plus headers and tune. Just really surprised at how low the top end numbers are.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by viperboy
I don't care how loud it is really, just as long as its not so raspyyy haha I just want it a little quieter. Would a regular cat stop the raspyness? I thought a fastcat might still be buzzy.
This was a day after headers were installed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn8puG6ytQs

Cattman headers, Fastcat, and Vibrant muffer. I had no resonator at all in my b-pipe. Pretty raspy once I get up in the RPM band.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Well, not as much as I hoped, but I'm happy with how it drives but I just wish the numbers were a little higher lol 242hp, he tuned it pretty conservatively. I totally forget the torque numbers now but I have the graph. They used a wideband when they tuned it too.

But... The car sounds like a honda at certain rpms. I think its from the test pipe but it is wayyy too raspy. Would a cat or high flow cat make that go away or should I just get a larger magnaflow resonator, or maybe both???

I wanna fix this asap, and the car needs to get quieted down too lol
so wait, you only gained 12 horsepower from headers, y-pipe, spacers and a tune? yeah something is wrong... your previous numbers might have been off.. but the tune alone should have given you about that

as far as the raspiness, return to the stock cat, and it should get rid of that
Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
He's charging you $1275 and he doesn't know to run the dyno to redline? Isn't the point of a dyno to see how the power curve is throughout the RPM range? Is he not going to adjust your AF past 6200 as well since it "doesn't make power there"? Just because it isn't making power past there doesn't mean you shouldn't take it up there, how else will you know how it is behaving past the peak power point. He should know its more about area under the curve than peak numbers.

Yeah... That defeats the whole purpose of removing the speed limiter.
Some people's kids, I swear
Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 PM

Sorry to hear that you didn't get what you expected.

I don't think the numbers seem low. From what you said you got done and previous mods you stated you had, the numbers you got sound about right.

With the mods I have I am probably putting down somewhere between 250-260 whp after recently installing a megan B pipe. Before the B-pipe I dynoed at 249 whp.

What kind of muffler do you have? Maybe changing mufflers or changing the testpipe might get rid of the raspyness.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
so wait, you only gained 12 horsepower from headers, y-pipe, spacers and a tune? yeah something is wrong... your previous numbers might have been off.. but the tune alone should have given you about that

as far as the raspiness, return to the stock cat, and it should get rid of that
Yeah, 12hp. I forgot the graph in the car, I'll post it up tomorrow. Like I said, some parts of the before and after showed a difference of 20hp, but peak was only 12hp. He said something that the VAFC I bought was kinda messed up and it wouldn't let him into certain setting and he could only tune it above 4k (I bought it for like $100 used) and it was a correction of -.2% or something like that if that means anything to you guys.

I think I will post in the classifieds if I don't find anything around here for the cat. I'm sure someone will give me a couple of buck + their cat.

Originally Posted by MaximusMorpheus
Sorry to hear that you didn't get what you expected.

I don't think the numbers seem low. From what you said you got done and previous mods you stated you had, the numbers you got sound about right.

With the mods I have I am probably putting down somewhere between 250-260 whp after recently installing a megan B pipe. Before the B-pipe I dynoed at 249 whp.

What kind of muffler do you have? Maybe changing mufflers or changing the testpipe might get rid of the raspyness.
The only thing that I can think of that would be holding power back would be the pipe going over the axle is 2.25, I think. I never redid that when I did my 2.5in piping. And I believe the muffler is a 2.25 in and out as well. It's a flowmaster.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
BARF

For exhaust go with a Megan OR-ES system, I love the sound of mine. If you went through PSI motorsports then you must live close to me. Did Jason do the work?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Revs2Hard
For exhaust go with a Megan OR-ES system, I love the sound of mine. If you went through PSI motorsports then you must live close to me. Did Jason do the work?
Yes, I believe his name was Jason who did the actual work. You wouldn't happen to have a stock cat for sale or wanna trade for my test pipe, would you?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 AM
BARF

I have a built in test pipe :-( sorry. Did you get to see his R34 skyline when you where down there? Jason is a good guy and really knows his stuff. I can guarantee you that you have the best tune on that car possible with out having some kind of fuel controler. So where do you live at? Im down here in Vantucky.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Those prices were fair, assuming they were done quality then there shouldn't be any complaints, he got a afc, headers, and spacers installed + dyno time, I added that up and my price on that would be $1,000 easy. For those hating on the price and saying diy, buy or rent a lift and dyno, do it day in and day out for other people, and then comment.

The numbers aren't bad. People forget dyno's are far from consistent, especially between machines and conditions, and even then without the graphs and runfiles we really don't know what's up. I bet his mid-range is sexy as hell. I gained 20 ft/lb's w/tuning on MaximusMorph. car@ aroun 4k rpm's

Just as an fyi, the longer the runners on both intakes and exhausts the longer the pulses = you're going to see better results low/midrange. Shorty headers and spacers without the thick upper-to-lower will own if peak #'s is what you're after. But this is a good example of how sometimes the dyno doesn't tell it all, if he takes out that upper-to-lower spacer I can guarantee he'll lose 5+ down low and gain 5+ up high, but there will also be a loss overall under the right conditions from the manifold getting hotter.

And yes, test-pipes/cat delete give a ugly raspy sound
Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 AM

Peak figures only matter for bench racing.

Midrange punch matters on the street.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:18 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

It takes me no more than 30 minutes to install the vafc. Install and tune is hardly $500 worth of work in my eyes.

And if he said he didnt take it to redline because it makes no power up there, he needs to go back to school. Area under the curve, shift points, etc. You cant find out this stuff, if you dont go to the rev cut.

But as long as your happy with it.

Last edited by essential1; 04-03-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Weeble1
242 seems a little low to me bro...
....u bettta tell them to re-tune that joint or something.....my motor has 153k on it.....when i dynoed UNTUNED i put down 247whp with the same mods u have.....
Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 AM

We need to see graph of before and after really. To bad he didnt take it the revlimit the first time to compare but hopefully he did on the after runs.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Those prices were fair, assuming they were done quality then there shouldn't be any complaints, he got a afc, headers, and spacers installed + dyno time, I added that up and my price on that would be $1,000 easy. For those hating on the price and saying diy, buy or rent a lift and dyno, do it day in and day out for other people, and then comment.

The numbers aren't bad. People forget dyno's are far from consistent, especially between machines and conditions, and even then without the graphs and runfiles we really don't know what's up. I bet his mid-range is sexy as hell. I gained 20 ft/lb's w/tuning on MaximusMorph. car@ aroun 4k rpm's

Just as an fyi, the longer the runners on both intakes and exhausts the longer the pulses = you're going to see better results low/midrange. Shorty headers and spacers without the thick upper-to-lower will own if peak #'s is what you're after. But this is a good example of how sometimes the dyno doesn't tell it all, if he takes out that upper-to-lower spacer I can guarantee he'll lose 5+ down low and gain 5+ up high, but there will also be a loss overall under the right conditions from the manifold getting hotter.

What up Kev? When you coming to Vegas for a visit?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 AM

We need to see graph of before and after really. To bad he didnt take it the revlimit the first time to compare but hopefully he did on the after runs.
even if he didnt take it to the redline.....he had already made his peak power b4 then....but it was still messed up how they didnt take it to redline
Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 AM

PA? where in PA?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Revs2Hard
I have a built in test pipe :-( sorry. Did you get to see his R34 skyline when you where down there? Jason is a good guy and really knows his stuff. I can guarantee you that you have the best tune on that car possible with out having some kind of fuel controler. So where do you live at? Im down here in Vantucky.
I'm in PA haha the guy who worked on my car was named Jason, but I don't think you live near me.

Originally Posted by KRRZ350

Thanks for the info! I'm still looking for a cat and I had NO idea how expensive they are. I hope someone has one laying around that I can find.

Originally Posted by essential1
It takes me no more than 30 minutes to install the vafc. Install and tune is hardly $500 worth of work in my eyes.

And if he said he didnt take it to redline because it makes no power up there, he needs to go back to school. Area under the curve, shift points, etc. You cant find out this stuff, if you dont go to the rev cut.

But as long as your happy with it.
I didn't wanna challenge what he was saying, but I agree with you about running it to red line. And they never did a Maxima before and not too many Nissans in general, so the wiring took them a little bit.

Originally Posted by datdude20
....u bettta tell them to re-tune that joint or something.....my motor has 153k on it.....when i dynoed UNTUNED i put down 247whp with the same mods u have.....
I don't know how much more potential there is with the VAFC, and I wouldn't know what to adjust.

He still didn't. I only saw one pull. He did all the tuning before I came cause he was really busy so he did it before I got there.

Originally Posted by nissandrvr98
PA? where in PA?
Northampton
Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Here is the graph...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 AM
It's business time.

So is it tuned properly?

I would put the stock rear section and cat on to get rid of the raspiness.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Progress
So is it tuned properly?

I would put the stock rear section and cat on to get rid of the raspiness.
Yes, it is tuned properly. And I no longer have the rear section, I'm just hoping a magnaflow high flow cat or the stock one (whichever I can get my hands on first) will keep the rasp down.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM

Beefy power curve, aint nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

$100 per HP...seems like a killer deal
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
OK. You've made your point twice now. How about you lay off and let the guy enjoy his mods.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

How about I don't since he posted the info on here to GET opinions.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Seriously dude, :matt93se:

OK. You've made your point twice now. How about you lay off and let the guy enjoy his mods.
Thanks man, IwishIhadanautomaticlikesemy2k2gosoIcanhazzmorehp& befasterzzz.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Seriously dude, :matt93se:
So since not everyone is agreement that you got such a great deal, we should just GTFO (as you say)? Maybe you should have kept the figures to yourself and less people would think that you got ripped off.

Thanks man, IwishIhadanautomaticlikesemy2k2gosoIcanhazzmorehp& befasterzzz.
WTF does that even mean. I don't waste my money on go fast parts for a beater daily driver like some.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Banned

How about I don't since he posted the info on here to GET opinions.
My point is you posted twice, in fairly harsh terms, that the thread OP paid too much for his install. You made your point on the first post. Was the second absolutely necessary?

You're a moderator. I would think you could show a bit more restraint.

There's also no need to put down those modifying their daily drivers. I bet the vast majority of .ORG members are also modifying daily drivers.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

My point is you posted twice, in fairly harsh terms, that the thread OP paid too much for his install. You made your point on the first post. Was the second absolutely necessary?
= point was not understood

HE IS.

There's also no need to put down those modifying their daily drivers. I bet the vast majority of .ORG members are also modifying daily drivers.
Ehhhhhh, you failed to properly read his post. See below:

WTF does that even mean. I don't waste my money on go fast parts for a beater daily driver like some.

What this means is that his Maxima is his beater...he uses go fast parts on a go fast car.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it's no point...

just ignore him

Quick Reply: Dropped off the car today (Header and Spacer Install)