5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

so what's hlsd, and why's everyone waiting for it??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:15 PM

so what's hlsd, and why's everyone waiting for it??

you'll have to educate me on that acronym. some type of limited slip dif? and why's everyone waiting for it on the 02's? is nissan advertising it and not shipping it?
Old 11-20-2001, 03:33 AM

Re: so what's hlsd, and why's everyone waiting for it??

Originally posted by serin
you'll have to educate me on that acronym. some type of limited slip dif? . . .
Helical Limited Slip Differential

. . . and why's everyone waiting for it on the 02's? . . .
It responds much faster than the viscous type. It's a Torsen style LSD.

. . . is nissan advertising it and not shipping it?
It has always been billed as "late availability". Maybe Nissan is cleaning out their stock of the viscous LSD's?

Norm
Old 11-20-2001, 04:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: so what's hlsd, and why's everyone waiting for it??

Originally posted by serin
you'll have to educate me on that acronym. some type of limited slip dif? and why's everyone waiting for it on the 02's? is nissan advertising it and not shipping it?
HLSD, in my opinion would only be noticeable on a track, and with a stop watch and a consistent driver. When I had my '94 Z28, I got the Torsen unit that the SS was getting in '96 on (bought it from a wrecked '96). The torsen is very much the same as the HLSD. On the street I never really noticed it, mainly because I wasn't taking the same corners every time, trying to get through them that millisecond faster. On Shannonville and Mosport, however, the story changed but only slightly. And that may have been my mind wanting to justify the extra cost more so than anything.

I've got the 2k2 SE w/6spd and it definitely has some sort of LSD. Whether it's HLSD or the VLSD, I have no idea. Short of removing enough hardware to find out, I'm not going to know. I realize that Nissan is saying that it won't be available until late in 2k1 and I shouldn't have it. Maybe the differential is being installed, but the aluminum pedals are on back order Bottom line being that even the VLSD is very good and I feel shouldn't be ignored. It's tried and true, there's no torque steer and it works smoothly. One thing that would be interesting to know is if the HLSD would be better when the car is accelerating over a rise in the road - I'd like to know if it would handle the 'hunting' the front end on my car does until it gets enough traction.

Just my 3.188 cents worth (adjusted for US-CDN )

Albert
Old 11-20-2001, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Because its the newest thing...

You just gotta have it. How can you buy a 2K2 6-speed and not wait for the HLSD? I just don't understand.