5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mods for the Beginner..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 08:25 AM

Mods for the Beginner..

I have a few questions..here they are..

1)I've tried looking around the forum, but there's just so much to read. In terms of the stock 17 rims that come with the 2k max, do 235/45/17 tires fit? And if they provide a safe ride, does putting those on void the warranty of the car? What about putting on a whole new set of wheels? If new wheels was the case, what's the biggest size that people recommend, 18? I had looked at some gt3 wheel or something..pretty pricey..

2) I've looked any many of you people's sigs...and most of you have really nice rides..are there any easier mods that I could perform, that would give a tangible increase in performance? guess i'm just looking for some xmas gifts...

Thanks again for any help or feedback..
Old 11-22-2001, 08:46 AM
Got Bent?

First off, use the search function to try and look for things rather than looking at random threads. That will be more helpful. As for your questions:

1. Many have used 235 width tires on the stock 7" rims, however, no tire manufacturer recommends doing so. It will not impact the car warranty in any way, but the tire warranty may become void if you do so. For new rims, 17", 18", and even 19" are popular. It depends on what you want. I say stick with 17" or 18" with a rim width of 8".

2. For starters, handling mods are the most noticeable and easiest. FSTB and RSB are easy to install and are quite noticeable. An intake and a y-pipe will also get you good gains....
Old 11-22-2001, 08:56 AM

Re: Mods for the Beginner..

Originally posted by GetSome681

2) I've looked any many of you people's sigs...and most of you have really nice rides..are there any easier mods that I could perform, that would give a tangible increase in performance? guess i'm just looking for some xmas gifts...

easy mod that does make a difference is dropping in a K&N Air filter, gives you at least 5+HP and costs about $50 at AutoZone. It's a permanent filter you wash every 5000-7000 (some say 10,000) miles.

Also definitely FSTB and RSB, also depending on your color, Clear corners and tinting. Also again, depending on color, replacing your tails with 2k2 tails looks good. Most people say the 2k2 tails look better on Sterling Mist and Icelandic Pearl white.

If you can afford it, drop in 2k2 HID headlights, damn sweet. But they cost around $800-$1000 for the pair. If you can't afford that, PIAA XTreme Whites (autobulbdepot.com) look great in the heads & fogs.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:36 PM

-I will definitely look into this Air filter...is this the best air filter you can put in the max?

-Ok, I may be really retarded, but what are FSTB and RSB? I'll search the boards in the meantime...but I'm pretty stupid when it comes to all the stuff you can add onto cars. I just know how to change my oil and filter every 3k miles..that's about it. How much do these add-ons cost, and will they void the warranty?

-I installed some PIAA plasma blues and xtreme whites fogs last xmas, so I think I'm good on the front headlights. HOWEVER, I really do admire the 2k2 tail lights..and you're right, I think they would look great on my sterling mist. How does one go about getting these, and can I bring them somewhere (nissan, etc) to have them put in?

-How does one go about changing the corner bulbs? Is this pretty difficult? And what bulbs would go in there? Are there any laws in terms of certain colors when it comes to these bulbs?

-I have the tint already..so basically I'm just looking for some more horses and definitely something to help the car stand out.

-Oh yeah, and the wheels I was looking at are the SSR GT3. They are pretty pricey. Anyone have any opinions on these wheels? Or what other wheels look awesome on the max?

Thanks again everyone, and I apologize beforehand for my lack of knowledge on these topics.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:41 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I would recommend the intake or the Front Strut Tower Brace
Old 11-22-2001, 07:16 PM

Leave your stock as it is. Save the money and trade in for M3.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:07 PM

-I will definitely look into this Air filter...is this the best air filter you can put in the max?

-Ok, I may be really retarded, but what are FSTB and RSB? I'll search the boards in the meantime...but I'm pretty stupid when it comes to all the stuff you can add onto cars. I just know how to change my oil and filter every 3k miles..that's about it. How much do these add-ons cost, and will they void the warranty?

-I installed some PIAA plasma blues and xtreme whites fogs last xmas, so I think I'm good on the front headlights. HOWEVER, I really do admire the 2k2 tail lights..and you're right, I think they would look great on my sterling mist. How does one go about getting these, and can I bring them somewhere (nissan, etc) to have them put in?

-How does one go about changing the corner bulbs? Is this pretty difficult? And what bulbs would go in there? Are there any laws in terms of certain colors when it comes to these bulbs?

-I have the tint already..so basically I'm just looking for some more horses and definitely something to help the car stand out.

-Oh yeah, and the wheels I was looking at are the SSR GT3. They are pretty pricey. Anyone have any opinions on these wheels? Or what other wheels look awesome on the max?

Thanks again everyone, and I apologize beforehand for my lack of knowledge on these topics.
goto http://www.5thgenmaximas.com/howtoo.html
for the corner bulbs, u can use piaa 168 . very good...
Old 11-22-2001, 08:14 PM

Re: Mods for the Beginner..

Well i definitely start with BIG wheels and tint first, preferably 19s.

Old 11-22-2001, 08:41 PM

performance

everyone says a y-pipe is the best mod for the money. from what i have gathered a y-pipe ($400) and an intake ($250ish) wil give you about 20 HP together. i could be wrong about the HP gains. does someone else who knows more about them than i do have a better estimate?
Old 11-22-2001, 08:59 PM

SSR gt3 is a solid choice and would be tha absolute best thing you could do first if you can afford it. Go 19x8,19x9
Old 11-22-2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by BadBtsz4u
SSR gt3 is a solid choice and would be tha absolute best thing you could do first if you can afford it. Go 19x8,19x9
geez, if you can afford that i'd say get the y pipe, pr cai, and high flow cat. the rsb and fstb will give you more handling gains than rough riding wheels, altho they do nothing to make your ride stand out. just my opinion since i live in trafficey so cal.
if you've got an auto, i'd say invest in a tranny cooler too since they're relatively inexpensive.
Old 11-22-2001, 11:30 PM

FSTB= Front Strut Tower Brace
RSB= Rear Sway Bar

You can order the 02 tails from TustinNissan.com they have really good prices. The corners use 194 or 168 (I think PIAA uses that one). I have Polarg M21s in the back that are pretty red, I have some Gigalux Hyperwhites in the front...they're easy to change, just turn and pull the bulb housing out of the lens. Just keep fronts white or orange and rears red and you'll be fine.

If those wheels are too much Konig makes some cheap and nice ones. I like the Verdicts and Tantrums...Volk TE-37s look good but they're $$$
Old 11-23-2001, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
Leave your stock as it is. Save the money and trade in for M3.
HAHAHA EXACTLY!!! That's my plan. In 2005 i am going to get rid of my max and get the M3. Love them so much.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:00 AM

i was wrong

maybe i was wrong about the HP gains

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=intake<br />
Old 11-23-2001, 01:39 PM

[B]-I will definitely look into this Air filter...is this the best air filter you can put in the max?
It is next to getting a new air intake or cold air intake.
FSTB-Front Stabilizer Tower Bar, called a lot of different things but it's a bar that goes under the hood on top of the engine assemble to improve handling. RSB-Rear Stabilizer bar, not as easy to install (goes under car) but I've heard people get monumental improvements with these installed in terms of handling. Read up on instalation before doing it, there are some querks, check the how to forums.

nice choice in bulbs. The tails you can get from your local Nissan Dealership or look for em online, sometimes cheaper. I've heard anywhere from $250-$400 for the pair. Not to hard to install, just make sure you do it right otherwise you'll get water seeping inside, again, check the how tos. Not a difficult mod.

of course there are laws, but usually cops could care less unless they pull u over for something else and you tork(can't use the word pis*) em off, then they'll tack on some extra tickets. By clear corners I mean replacing the whole corner assembly. Our color (sterling mist) looks GREAT with clear corners (custommaxima.com) then replace bulbs with one of the ones in a previous post. I just did my front clears, I like the rear red streaks.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:02 PM

You can get the 2k2 tail lamps for 222 dollars for a pair at Courtesy Nissan. www.Courtesyparts.com Instalation is easy , but go to Paul's website http://www.paulwendy.com/maxima/ if you need some instructions.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:59 PM

Man, I really can't thank everyone enough. Now that I know a little more of what to look for, I will start doing some searching..and maybe after xmas I'll let everyone know what I decided on, and how phat my ride is.. thanks all..I appreciate it more than you can believe.

happy holidays