5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

We Know of Yellow Fogs -- But What About Amber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 AM

lol..maybe mine will be home today..i didnt see it this w/e...adn it wasnt in the mail when i went home for lunch
Old 06-01-2009, 11:58 AM

These endend up looking good IMO especially if you match it with LED's in the bumper lights and parking lights too... Ya but not much light output at all huh...No biggie like you said it's a cosmetic upgrade anyway..Which company or ebay buyer did you go through? Reccomend?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 PM

if he tells u, he'll have to kill you lol
Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont know if these are the ones he used, but about 1/3 of the way down the page, there are a few different options for H3 LED's.

http://autolumination.com/headlights.htm
Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM

actually those look very similar
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Which style of bulb did you choose? Cause I notice that maybe a bulb with more LED's pointing forward would produce more light...I've got an 01 with all black headlights and I'm thinking that these might not put out even close to enough light with no chrome reflector in the blinker location any more...That's also why I though a good deep orange would look good with the black too....
Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 PM

AS HE SHOWED IN HIS PICS, TEHRE IS ABSOLUTELY NO OUTPUT, ITS A COSMETIC LOOK. IF YOU WANT OUTPUT, JUST DO THE 3K HIDs
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by woody6212
These endend up looking good IMO especially if you match it with LED's in the bumper lights and parking lights too... Ya but not much light output at all huh...No biggie like you said it's a cosmetic upgrade anyway..Which company or ebay buyer did you go through? Reccomend?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-H3-Fog-Ligh...3A1%7C294%3A50

Above are the ones I went with. It's a 9-led SMD LED 12v setup. My parking lights will be matched for sure. Definitely recommended as well if you don't mind doing moderate modifications to the glare shield.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MIK3
Got the fogs in last night. Minor modifications needed to get them to fit. They're about a half an inch longer than the H3 bulbs, so I had to bend the glare shield all the way down and move it out of the way so they could fit. I also had to take a needle nose to the female connection of the wire and close it a bit because the male end of the wire connection is thinner. Overall, I like it. I need to switch out my running lights to a true amber now (probably LEDs) so that might sidemarkers, fogs and running lights all match.
Wow. That looks absolutely fantastic. Now that I see it, I want the same in my Maxima. I never, ever use my fog lights, so as a cosmetic mod this is spot-on perfect.

Very well done.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 PM

SHEESH LOOK GOOD BUT ID STICK 2 6K HIDS ON FOGS OR JUST THE NORMAL YELLOW
Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 AM

HERE COME THE BANDWAGONEERS LOL
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Wow. That looks absolutely fantastic. Now that I see it, I want the same in my Maxima. I never, ever use my fog lights, so as a cosmetic mod this is spot-on perfect.

Very well done.

Thanks man. Never really used my fogs before this either. Now, they're always on.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM

hey, did you order your lights the same day you posted that link? mine STILL havent come in yet...im getting quite....impatient
Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I did. Has the guy responded to any of your questions? He kept pretty good communication with me.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 AM

naw, no communication, yesterday is the second email i've sent him and i havent gotten anything, no response, nothing. i mean i'm usually cool as long as the seller lets me know whats going on ya know. this is ridiculous. i was amped to get amber fogs..now im getting hot
Old 06-07-2009, 03:14 PM

man mine look nothing like yours...i pushed the, whatever it was, for the light to get in there, hooked it up...and i have almost absolutely no lighting. i'm about to email the seller about it.

PS the package did come in, i had to go to the post office to get it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:31 AM

?? That's weird. Is your glare shield all the way down? You have an 02/03 right?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 AM

NAW I HAVE A 00...I PUSHED MY SHIELD BACK TO WHERE THE LED LIGHT WOULD FIT IN THERE..INSTALLED IT..TURNED ON TEH LIGHTS...AND GOT ALMOST NOTHING...A VERY FAINT AMBER LIGHTING...

I EMAILED HIM, IHOPE HE'LL MAKE IT RIGHT FOR ME
Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
I think I'm the only a33 owner who likes the amber in the corner of the headlight.

I think i'm the only one who doesnt like yellow fogs. Every SRT-4, MS3, civic, etc. has yellow fogs... It's the latest fad for all the little rice rockets in my area.

I have matching hids in the headlights and fog lights, output is awsome and people say they love it better than the yellow.

Be different, do the amber. It doesnt matter what anyone says, if you like it, do it.
+1 to all of the above...I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
NAW I HAVE A 00...I PUSHED MY SHIELD BACK TO WHERE THE LED LIGHT WOULD FIT IN THERE..INSTALLED IT..TURNED ON TEH LIGHTS...AND GOT ALMOST NOTHING...A VERY FAINT AMBER LIGHTING...

I EMAILED HIM, IHOPE HE'LL MAKE IT RIGHT FOR ME
Hmm, there might be some issues with the light emission through the plastic? Or the angle of output? Have you looked at the LED's lit up outside of the fog...it could just be a housing issue?

And thanks for the comments above poster.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Honestly, I just saw one tonight and remembered this thread...the New(ish) body style Grand Prix has amber lights lower in the bumper. They are circular and completely amber..dunno if they are running lights or fogs, but they appear to be running lights, but it give you a better idea than the Caddy above..

well hell..I was looking for a picture and cant find one that has the same lighting as my neighbor's..booooo..

Last edited by jkpgt96; 06-08-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Hmm, there might be some issues with the light emission through the plastic? Or the angle of output? Have you looked at the LED's lit up outside of the fog...it could just be a housing issue?

And thanks for the comments above poster.
i mean that shield doesnt do/mess up anything with letting the light out can it? i mean...its like..the lighting is just poor...i get nothing out of it. if i dont get a response from this guy im replacing my yellow fogs adn just waiting to get the money to get the HID ambers
Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
Honestly, I just saw one tonight and remembered this thread...the New(ish) body style Grand Prix has amber lights lower in the bumper. They are circular and completely amber..dunno if they are running lights or fogs, but they appear to be running lights, but it give you a better idea than the Caddy above..

well hell..I was looking for a picture and cant find one that has the same lighting as my neighbor's..booooo..

You're right. They're runners. That's actually where I got the original idea from.

phatboislim: Sorry to hear of your output probs. What vendor will you be going with for the amber fogs? I take it they're 2000k?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM

where could you buy these amber fog lights, and how much do they cost you guys think?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM

You're right. They're runners. That's actually where I got the original idea from.
Ahhh ok...good call!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by so smooth
where could you buy these amber fog lights, and how much do they cost you guys think?
http://forums.maxima.org/7038014-post24.html
Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by rlopez0095
SHEESH LOOK GOOD BUT ID STICK 2 6K HIDS ON FOGS OR JUST THE NORMAL YELLOW
Me too Rlopez. I thought I would like to switch to the amber but I'm staying with the normal yellow for now.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:09 PM

How bout a pic with the headlights off? The one reason I was interested in the LED's for the fogs was to have em as running lights basically...
Old 06-12-2009, 03:31 PM

Why would you do this??? It doesn't look right and it completely takes away what your fog lights are they for to begin with. You have no light coming through now and it is just a small glow??? Why would you want that??? Go throw some 5% tint over your headlights while your at it for another cosmetic mod...
Old 06-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Why would you do this??? It doesn't look right and it completely takes away what your fog lights are they for to begin with. You have no light coming through now and it is just a small glow??? Why would you want that??? Go throw some 5% tint over your headlights while your at it for another cosmetic mod...
Well you realize that your foglights do absolutely nothing for you in the fog anyway right? The only thing your fog lights do is illuminate more of the fog causing glare and ultimately make your vision in poor conditions worse.. And out here and in most other of the 50 states it is illegal to drive with foglights on with no fog.......Soooo why did you choose to stick eyelids on your car? Sticking an extra piece of ABS plastic on your headlights isn't a cosmetic mod? And as you stated "completely takes away what your headlights are there for to begin with".... Just didn't see a point to your post I guess since there are literally thousands of threads that have cosmetic mods and I'm sure so didn't like your ideas either...
Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
I am fron Arizona. There is no fog in Arizona. There is no real need for fog lights, that is why they are now cosmetic. If your commenting on taking away functionality from a part that needs not function, your point is moot.

It's something different from the bandwagonning HIDs and yellows. I tend not to follow crowds and don't mind spending as I see fits the car. Get a little more constructive, or gtfo.

Oh, and woody. A re-wire is coming soon. I'll get some pics up for soon.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 PM

I am fron Arizona. There is no fog in Arizona. There is no real need for fog lights, that is why they are now cosmetic. If your commenting on taking away functionality from a part that needs not function, your point is moot.

It's something different from the bandwagonning HIDs and yellows. I tend not to follow crowds and don't mind spending as I see fits the car. Get a little more constructive, or gtfo.

Oh, and woody. A re-wire is coming soon. I'll get some pics up for soon.
That was constructive...making your fogs inoperable just so you can have running lights where your fog lights were is pointless...it's just my opinion and I'm entitled to it so you can it bud...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by woody6212
Well you realize that your foglights do absolutely nothing for you in the fog anyway right? The only thing your fog lights do is illuminate more of the fog causing glare and ultimately make your vision in poor conditions worse.. And out here and in most other of the 50 states it is illegal to drive with foglights on with no fog.......Soooo why did you choose to stick eyelids on your car? Sticking an extra piece of ABS plastic on your headlights isn't a cosmetic mod? And as you stated "completely takes away what your headlights are there for to begin with".... Just didn't see a point to your post I guess since there are literally thousands of threads that have cosmetic mods and I'm sure so didn't like your ideas either...
Actually...fog lights are low so they are below the fog.... Oh and my eyelids don't affect my headlights projection and they look good so it's a win win...if you don't like my eyelids that's cool, it doesn't bother me because that's your opinion and your entitled to it.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 AM

Awesome, idea and looks great! Cosmetically!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:22 AM

i think yellow looks better
Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 AM

I went with the yellow HID look and I couldn't be happier with my choice.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 AM

we know how yellow looks, why post a pic of them?

i'm going to take a pic tonight to show you how dull my ambers show up...its like i drilled a city light in them
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 AM

imo i like the yellow alot but here in western mass it seemed to become a friken fashion statement on hondas. ive seen literally upwards of 40 hondas riced out with yellow lexus fogs or lamin x'd yellow lenses. im glad i waited on doing the same mod. but i just dont see how amber could amount to anything?

Last edited by bigpopaj369; 06-15-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:46 AM

amount to alot for those of us who love our amber park and side markers...it brings it all together. i like the yellow myself too..but it didnt do too much for my car. at least, even though its dim, it brings my front end together and makes the 6ks look beautiful
Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
amount to alot for those of us who love our amber park and side markers...it brings it all together. i like the yellow myself too..but it didnt do too much for my car. at least, even though its dim, it brings my front end together and makes the 6ks look beautiful
Some good points here. Personally, amber is very complimentary to the HID look (< 8000k). When you have all three (parking, fog, sidemarkers) going, it's an awesome setup. I'm a fan of yellow fogs as well, but I think it's very respective of the color of the car. Personally, I don't think lexus yellow will look as fantastic on a sandstone color as a true amber. White, black and midnight blue maximas definitely should stick to yellow. I have future plans to have a CF hood and stillen classic lip as well. Once those are on, I think many people will change their minds. Personally though, I did not do this for the approval of others, it was something for me and my car that I'd share to those potentially interested in doing the same. Its good to hear that others are interested, and for those who are not or find it totally pointless, I find it a tad hypocritical to post a pointless post on something you deem "pointless".

Fog re-wire coming up and amber LED running lights as well. Keep posted.

Last edited by MIK3; 06-20-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: We Know of Yellow Fogs -- But What About Amber?