5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Still get Check Engine Light after ECU reset! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Still get Check Engine Light after ECU reset! Help!!!

Hi Guys!

I had that Check Engine Light after driving with my cai for about 100 miles. I just did a reset of the ECU today. Left the negative unplugged for about 3 hrs. Started the car, and still got the Check Engine Light. Should I have left it on longer? Car seems to run fine, I have still rev over 4500 rpm, go over 100mph.. doesn't seem like anything wrong? But I did notice yesterday after I started the car, it kinda choked light i was out of gas. I just stepped on the gas and it was back to normal. Was else should I do? Maybe leave it unplugged longer? Like overnight? Or drive with it on and see if it disappears..

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2001, 12:19 PM
Got Bent?

If you are sure that all sensors are plugged in correctly, then it could be anything Can you read the code somehow? A dealer would charge you $75 to read the code..... got a friend with a scan tool?
Old 11-22-2001, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
If you are sure that all sensors are plugged in correctly, then it could be anything Can you read the code somehow? A dealer would charge you $75 to read the code..... got a friend with a scan tool?
I have a '01 GLE.. Is there a way to do a diag?? Anyone in the NYC are have one??
Old 11-22-2001, 01:05 PM

Re: Still get Check Engine Light after ECU reset! Help!!!

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
Hi Guys!

I had that Check Engine Light after driving with my cai for about 100 miles. I just did a reset of the ECU today. Left the negative unplugged for about 3 hrs. Started the car, and still got the Check Engine Light. Should I have left it on longer? Car seems to run fine, I have still rev over 4500 rpm, go over 100mph.. doesn't seem like anything wrong? But I did notice yesterday after I started the car, it kinda choked light i was out of gas. I just stepped on the gas and it was back to normal. Was else should I do? Maybe leave it unplugged longer? Like overnight? Or drive with it on and see if it disappears..

Thanks!
Have you driven it without the gas cap on it. Could be to much air or some water in the tank. You may need to go to dealer and see if you can talk to a head mechanic on the side, but do not talk to a service advisor…it's all about money with them.
I had a similar problem. I took car to another dealer and he (Advisor) told me it was the codes for the pollution sensors. So they reset them but after about an hour of driving the light came back on. I called to talk to my mechanic who was out of town an he told me to drive 1/2 day with the gas cap off. It worked…the light went off an nothings been wrong since! Mechanic did recheck and gave me good bill of health!!
Old 11-22-2001, 10:06 PM
C2MAX

OK - TRY UNPLUGGING THE POS. TERMINAL FOR ABOUT 15 SEC. MAKE SURE THE GAS CAP IS ON TIGHT AND NEVER TOPP OFF THE TANK WHEN YOU FILL UP, CAUSE IT WILL CAUSE THE EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS CODE TO COME UP. AND WHEN YOU TIGHTEN YOU GAS CAP NO MORE THAN 3 CLICKS. AND YOUR CAR HAS A OBD 2 DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM ANY CAR FROM 1996 AND UP USES THAT STANDARD FEATURE. MEANING 1996 AND UP MAXIMAS USED THAT TYPE. IF THE UNPLUGGING THE TERMINAL DOES NOT WORK, THEN YOU WILL NEED TO GO TO A REPAIR SHOP TO HAVE THE SCANNER PUT ON IT TO READ AND ERASE THE THE CODE. I CHARGE MY CUSTOMERS ABOUT $55.00 FOR DIAGNOSTICS WHICH IS AN HOUR LABOR BUT IT ONLY TAKES LIKE 5 MIN. NOT EVEN. JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT THEY MIGHT CHARGE YOU, AND THERE IS NO NEED TO GO TO NISSAN THEY WILL DO THE SAME THING AND CHARGE YOU ALOT MORE, ANYHOW I HOPE YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT I SAID AND I HOPR IVE BEEN OF ANY HELP?LATER

RUDY

Old 11-22-2001, 10:09 PM
C2MAX

oh yeah .... sorry bout the caps

Old 11-23-2001, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by C2MAX
OK - TRY UNPLUGGING THE POS. TERMINAL FOR ABOUT 15 SEC. MAKE SURE THE GAS CAP IS ON TIGHT AND NEVER TOPP OFF THE TANK WHEN YOU FILL UP, CAUSE IT WILL CAUSE THE EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS CODE TO COME UP. AND WHEN YOU TIGHTEN YOU GAS CAP NO MORE THAN 3 CLICKS. AND YOUR CAR HAS A OBD 2 DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM ANY CAR FROM 1996 AND UP USES THAT STANDARD FEATURE. MEANING 1996 AND UP MAXIMAS USED THAT TYPE. IF THE UNPLUGGING THE TERMINAL DOES NOT WORK, THEN YOU WILL NEED TO GO TO A REPAIR SHOP TO HAVE THE SCANNER PUT ON IT TO READ AND ERASE THE THE CODE. I CHARGE MY CUSTOMERS ABOUT $55.00 FOR DIAGNOSTICS WHICH IS AN HOUR LABOR BUT IT ONLY TAKES LIKE 5 MIN. NOT EVEN. JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF WHAT THEY MIGHT CHARGE YOU, AND THERE IS NO NEED TO GO TO NISSAN THEY WILL DO THE SAME THING AND CHARGE YOU ALOT MORE, ANYHOW I HOPE YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT I SAID AND I HOPR IVE BEEN OF ANY HELP?LATER

RUDY
Cool... I'll give that a try too.. Do you know if there are any shops in the NYC area that have the scanner and will diag it for me?
Old 11-23-2001, 09:25 AM

if it sounds like its choking it could be you MAF you might want to double check and see if it is pushed in all the way, that happened to me when i first got my intake
Old 11-23-2001, 11:07 AM
C2MAX

no... sorry i live in las vegas.

Old 11-23-2001, 04:23 PM

I finally went to Pep Boys (Dealer was closed today) to get my ECU Diag. Charged me $40. The error code I got was something about bank 1 giving some lean... blah... He cleared it, so far so good.. If it comes back again, they said that the o2 sensor in bank1 is probably bad..
Old 11-23-2001, 04:42 PM
C2MAX

oh no.... believe me its going to come back.or at least it did on mine. have you insalled the y pipe? i ended up replacing all the sensors(o2sensors)after i put my y pipe on. anyway glad you got that out of the way. laters

Old 11-23-2001, 04:49 PM

I finally went to Pep Boys (Dealer was closed today) to get my ECU Diag. Charged me $40. The error code I got was something about bank 1 giving some lean... blah... He cleared it, so far so good.. If it comes back again, they said that the o2 sensor in bank1 is probably bad..

really your O2 sensor should not be effected by an intake install. If you insalled a y-pipe ... yes I could see the O2 malfunction. I would wait until it comes back on then go the Nissan. It sounds like something serious to me. I could understand some things, but not that. One last time ... are you sure you checked all electrical plugs? Make sure everything is plugged in.
Old 11-23-2001, 04:50 PM
Got Bent?

your O2 sensor is bad. My CE light was on a month or so ago for the exact same sensor. It is the one you can see from the engine bay. I went to my dealer and got it replaced under warranty. I don't think they saw the y-pipe
Old 11-23-2001, 07:14 PM

Servie engine light also, fuel valve prob

I went to Nissan about a month ago becaus the serive engine light came on, so they told me its just a malfunction in ECU so they reset it. Light went off. Then, this monday the light came on again. I went to local auto repair shop they scanned the ECu and it turns out there is aproblem with the fuel valve. No wonder my car got low milege. Now i have to go back to NIssan dealer to change fuel valve since i have warranty.
By the way Nissan delears are the worst. The first time i went to get the light turned off they told me to leave car and for about 5 hours they had the car. Turns out they changed oil, rotated tires, and lubricated everything which was also useless since a week before i did that all my self. The final cost was $328 and warranty doesnt cover that. What a consumer to do.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:27 PM

Re: Servie engine light also, fuel valve prob

Originally posted by Whtmax'01
I went to Nissan about a month ago becaus the serive engine light came on, so they told me its just a malfunction in ECU so they reset it. Light went off. Then, this monday the light came on again. I went to local auto repair shop they scanned the ECu and it turns out there is aproblem with the fuel valve. No wonder my car got low milege. Now i have to go back to NIssan dealer to change fuel valve since i have warranty.
By the way Nissan delears are the worst. The first time i went to get the light turned off they told me to leave car and for about 5 hours they had the car. Turns out they changed oil, rotated tires, and lubricated everything which was also useless since a week before i did that all my self. The final cost was $328 and warranty doesnt cover that. What a consumer to do.
The error I got was that bank1 was running the point too lean or something like that. Seems like just a ecu glitch. Hopefully its nothing. I drove about 200 miles since I got it reset today. Hasn't popped on since. Knock on wood....