5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Current Situation...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 09:02 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Go for the Scooby!!!

Get the WRX

I'm seriously considering trading in my Accord V6 for one, and I just got a step closer today.

Compared to the RSX, the Scooby has better performance stock, AWD, and more room on the inside as well, and 4 doors is a plus. And then engine is built with turbo's in mind. It runs an extremely turbo friendly 8.0:1 compression ratio and there are now upgrade kits out for the WRX that will take you up to the 270 HP range for only $1000. You can run low/mid-14's stock, and all you need is a $10 boost controller and you can get into the 13's just with that. Talk about performance and modding potential.

The RSX's K20A engine wasn't designed with FI in mind. It has an 11.0:1 compression ratio, and an engine like that probably isn't going to handle any significant amount of boost reliably over the long term, unless you did internal work like lower comperssion pistons. Greddy may make a turbo kit, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I do agree that the RSX has a better looking interior and exterior, though. The materials of the WRX are definitely cheaper and probably a step below your Maxima and my Accord V6, but still not what I would consider "bad" but that's just me.

Both are awesome cars and you couldn't go wrong with either of them. But if performance is at the front of your mind then you'd probably be best off with the Scooby. Checkout www.i-club.com for more info
Old 12-19-2001, 09:44 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

What's up Zach?

I vote WRX! I think there is a high potent STI version coming soon.

The RSX-S is going to be the next Honduuuh Civic that EVERY ricer is modding.

Check out the Jan 2002 "Turbo & High-Tech Performance" mag. It's filled with aftermarket companies tricked out WRXs. You can see the potential.

To ALL 4 wheels of course:
"The WeRXs" --> 255.3hp/230.7tq
"XS Engineering" --> 267.6hp/227.7tq
"Axis Sport Tuning" --> 189.9hp/189.8tq
"Sparco's Quick Strike" --> 225.4hp/230.4tq

Just get a Z28 or Firebird already!
Old 12-19-2001, 11:38 PM

here is the story...i don't have quite as much money as originally expected...my fully loaded every option automatic max will only fetch 18k for trade in and 22k for dealer sale so i'm guessing i can pull in about 20k from just the car...now i'd like to hold onto the stereo for the next car so i'm thinking that i can get about 2k for all my mods not including the stereo...that leaves me w/ 22k...i do have some money in the bank, but i'd like to keep most of it for college money/gas/insurance money so it looks like whatever car i get, i will not be able to do much to it until i get another job over the summer (parents won't allow a job in college (and they won't give me any money or financial help on this car...go figure))...so the 25k sticker on the subaru for a base model w/ no options seems a bit high for my check book...they are also selling much more than subaru thought they ever would and although they are not so tough to get a hold of, its doubtful you will be able to get very far below sticker on one...plus i've heard many bad stories about the tranny not being able to hold much more than just the stock power

so thats why the rsx-s is high in my book...for $23k it runs 14s stock and has a 6spd 200hp...i liked the old teg's and although this may become just like the old integras where you see a ton of them on the street almost all modded (poorly) i doubt that...the rsx type s is more like the older integra type r and there weren't a ton of type r's floating around...also not so many kids can afford the $23k price tag of the t ype s and although tons of people had modded ls, gs and some gsr integras, respect wasn't shown nearly as much as it was towards type r's...

stevetec...i'm kinda new to turbo's (never owned a turbo) so can you possibly explain the 8.0:1 compression ration and the 11.0:1?

so basically now my price range is around $23k and under (my dad hates the wrx...doesn't mind the wagon though...but he likes the rsx-s so might help me out on the taxes if it comes down to that being the only money that i need)...(he thinks the gti is a girls car)...so now i don't have a clue what to get...with my new price range this is getting more and more difficult but i'm defenitely not keeping the max...i keep finding new problems every day...new squeaks and rattles and such...my friend has a 99 integra gs and although it isn't that fast, it feels quick and feels really solid...as you can tell i'm leaning towards the rsx-s but i'd need to test drive the vw...any other cars anyone can come up with?
Old 12-20-2001, 12:16 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by MrBurner
plus i've heard many bad stories about the (WRX) tranny not being able to hold much more than just the stock power

Of course you have! A couple of guys go to the track too much with mods, and do drop-clutch/sidestep launches and blow out their tranny's, so now all of a sudden the Scobby MT sucks. But the guys with auto's can't do that and suddenly their tranny is "bulletproof"

If you go to the Accord V6 boards, people complain that the tranny sucks.
If you go here, people complain that the tranny sucks.
If you go to an IS300 board, people complain that the tranny sucks.

You know why? Because people abuse the shia out of them, then whine and complain about it, and suddenly the "tranny sucks" and nevermind the fact that they go to the track every weekend and do 5000rpm drop-clutch launches!

Don't worry about the tranny

stevetec...i'm kinda new to turbo's (never owned a turbo) so can you possibly explain the 8.0:1 compression ration and the 11.0:1?
Engines with high compression ratios are bad for forced induction because they have higher cylinder pressures, and higher ramp rates. When you throw in some boost you end up pressurizing the cylinders way more than they were designed to be pressurized, and the pressure ramp rate goes up which can cause detonation problems. The burn temperature of higher compression engines is also bad for detonation just in non-turbo mode. If you throw a turbo in that compounds the problem even more. Some H22A people (Prelude engine) have put turbo kits on their cars and the engine has only lasted about 10-12k miles or so, even running at mild boost levels. So forced induction on high-compression NA motors is not good.

Engines that are specifically built with turbocharging in mind always use a low compression design. This results in lower overall cylinder pressures for a given amount of boost, and a lower pressure ramp rate which is critical for preventing detonation, and lower overall cylinder temperatures, which is also critical for preventing detonation. Low compression is good for boosting :-)

I probably didn't explain that the best, but just look at the Porsche 911 engines.

Porsche 911 Turbo: 3.6L H6, 9.4:1 CR, 415 HP
Porsche 911 Carerra: 3.6L H6, 11.3:1 CR, 320 HP

So if you don't believe/trust me, I know you will trust Porsche engineers, and they could probably explain it a helluva lot better than I could, but probably only in German :-D

so basically now my price range is around $23k and under (my dad hates the wrx...doesn't mind the wagon though...
WRX Sedans are going for about $23.5k. The Wagons are going for around $23.1k. And the options on them are small, and are seriously chump change. Most of them you can add later on yourself if you want. Most of the WRX's brought to the US are "base" models that have things added to them either at the port or at the dealership, so don't worry about options if you have a price cap to meet. You can always add them later. And remember, a $4 manual boost controller can get you a ton more power and the tranny will still hold as long as you resist the temptation to do stupid stupid high-rev drop-clutch launches at the track. I personally wouldn't waste a perfectly good tranny just for bragging rights at the track ;-) Audi Quattro owners seem to have the same problems with their tranny's too. Hmmm...I wonder if their tranny sucks too? Or maybe it's the driver ;-D

[Yoda]
Lots of power, stick shift, and AWD leads to temptation...
Temptation leads to insanely high-rpm drop clutch launches...
Drop clutch launches leads to suffering (of the tranny)...
Suffering leads to the dark side...
[/Yoda]
Old 12-20-2001, 01:22 AM

hmm...well around here and even online i can't find a wrx for under 25k...i'm now thinking about trading my car in right now and getting something new before i drive back in january

what is everyones thoughts on the sentra se-r vspec? i had that on my list of cars but never ended up test driving it...for 19k fully loaded i can easily afford some suspension mods or even a turbo if they make one yet...hmm...i'm going to go to nissan tomorrow to test that out and i'll go to vw to test out a gti
Old 12-20-2001, 08:13 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

hmm...well around here and even online i can't find a wrx for under 25k...i'm now thinking about trading my car in right now and getting something new before i drive back in january

what is everyones thoughts on the sentra se-r vspec? i had that on my list of cars but never ended up test driving it...for 19k fully loaded i can easily afford some suspension mods or even a turbo if they make one yet...hmm...i'm going to go to nissan tomorrow to test that out and i'll go to vw to test out a gti
Zach,

Don't even bother with the Sentra SER Spec V. I saw one at the dealership and it was NOT impressive. Cheap quality interior with ugly gauges, zipper seat covers(WTF?), and a butt ugly rear end. I did like the 17" Z-rated rims/tires.

What about a Mustang GT?

If you want a HARD car to find for a CHEAP price I can hook you up. My family and I have bought SEVEN cars(93 Probe GT, 95 Buick Regal, 99 Sentra, 97 Cougar, 00 Civic(Sisters), 01 Maxima, and a 01 Dodge Ram) through an AutoBroker that works in the TriState area(Cali/NV/AZ/etc.), but mostly Phoenix. She found my 5-speed Max and got me 3.9%APR on my loan. I've also referred her to several of my friends who have bought from her. No wasted time/stress haggling and it's the cheapest price I found. She arranged everything while I was in California on vacation and faxed me most of the paper work, so everything was taken care of ahead of time. It took me 15-mins. to walk into Midway Nissan sign the loan papers and drive away in my Max..

If you want the 800 phone number let me know. Just know EXACTLY what you want(model, options, int/ext colors, etc..) and be ready because she works FAST.
Old 12-25-2001, 07:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Current Situation...what to do?

Subaru WRX STi 6-speed?!!

WHAT?! Are you sure Subaru is bringing these beasts to the United States in 2003?!?@?@?

Do you have any links for these?

Thx.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:51 PM

MrBurner

You said you worked hard to get where you are. While in college, you obviously not paying tuition, and your parents got you covered at home big time. Of course, you're blowing all your money away on cars. Look at your Maxima, the dream of a tuner :-) what else do you need? You're not a pro racer, just a regular Joe who wants to get some chicks. Does 1/10 of a second really matter to you when it comes at a cost of you busting your chops all damn summer long? Do a 5 spd conversion for that sake and keep your car through college. You can't race anywhere except on a racetrack, and cops will get you, man, for speeding, sooner or later. If you have some extra dough, why not invest in stock, mutual funds, or pay off educational loans if you have any. Don't flame me, because I am also in college and never kept a car for more than 3 years, but there will be a car thats better than yours.
Old 12-26-2001, 05:01 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
MrBurner

You said you worked hard to get where you are. While in college, you obviously not paying tuition, and your parents got you covered at home big time. Of course, you're blowing all your money away on cars. Look at your Maxima, the dream of a tuner :-) what else do you need? You're not a pro racer, just a regular Joe who wants to get some chicks. Does 1/10 of a second really matter to you when it comes at a cost of you busting your chops all damn summer long? Do a 5 spd conversion for that sake and keep your car through college. You can't race anywhere except on a racetrack, and cops will get you, man, for speeding, sooner or later. If you have some extra dough, why not invest in stock, mutual funds, or pay off educational loans if you have any. Don't flame me, because I am also in college and never kept a car for more than 3 years, but there will be a car thats better than yours.
PRAISE THE LORD
Old 12-26-2001, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by dba1999us

PRAISE THE LORD
Can I hear some support from the .org public? Guys, dont you just love his silver Max with $7G's worth of stereo, and a bodykit? Tell me its not a babe magnet?????????
Old 12-26-2001, 05:06 PM

i'm not really blowing any of my money on this car...i am putting down the max w/ mods for this car...if i brought my max to school, i'd have to take off most of the mods anyways because ohio would be a horrible place for a body kit, cold air intake, loud exhaust etc....i don't want to have a car that all the redneck townies are like "wow, we need to steal something out of there"...i am personally getting sick of the car...i have spent a lot of time on it and i realize i am not a professional racer or anything like that...if i was, i wouldn't get an rsx...back to the max...i just don't enjoy it anymore...its so big and a 5spd conversion would cost me a lot more than trading in my car for a 6spd rsx...i have had fun with my car, but i don't see myself enjoying this car anymore...i am finished with it and need to move on and start up a new project...i do work plenty over all of my breaks from school and i have worked full time since junior year of high school...i have plenty of money saved up to do certain things to the car...the max isn't for everyone...i've been driving around my old car (now my parents car) a 99 fully loaded expedition...although it doesn't drive that well, its fun because it is just a car for cruising...i have been enjoying driving that more than the max recently...i just want a stick shift and a small car...next car after the rsx will most likely be a supra

MrBurner

Old 12-26-2001, 07:47 PM

a 99 fully loaded expedition...although it doesn't drive that well, its fun because it is just a car for cruising

what is wrong with you, you're acting like a spoiled rich kid. If you hate Max that much, why did you buy it in the first place, and put 10 G's of mods in it? You got a brand-new car with only 20K mi on it! I doubt you gonna sell your max for 20 G's, and all your mods, you're loosing like 15 G's, just because "you're bored with a car", there's nothing you can think of you can mod it with? I mean, its your life, but think of how better off you can be in 10-15 yrs, if you invest these $15,000 and keep your car through college.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:03 PM

let me quote you "what is wrong with you"...well, thats how i feel about what you are doing...i don't know why you are making such a big deal about it...i am not losing $15k and i don't have a clue how you came up with that number...you're acting like this is your life/car...just be done with this...i asked peoples opinion on what type of car i should get, not should i get another car...just be done with this conversation...i'm not taking a loss in funds or anything...i really don't see why you have even made this an issue...plenty of people sell their maximas all the time, some even newer than mine...i decided awhile ago that i was going to sell this car because of all of the reasons listed in previous posts in this now 4 page long thread

look, i'm selling my car...i am perfectly secure with my current financial position and i have been saving up money for quite awhile...i am not taking any loss on trading my car in and now i finally get to have a stick shift and make the car a sleeper...have i mentioned that i can't stand automatics? you're acting as if it is the end of the world because of my decision to sell my car

however, if i am not able to sell my car now (before jan 11), i will have to take this car or the expedition (so my parents can sell this) to college for next semester...i'd much rather have the rsx over there since my car is almost bone stock at this point...my friends and i have spent the last 4 days completely taking my car apart and putting it back to stock

what is wrong with you, you're acting like a spoiled rich kid. If you hate Max that much, why did you buy it in the first place, and put 10 G's of mods in it? You got a brand-new car with only 20K mi on it! I doubt you gonna sell your max for 20 G's, and all your mods, you're loosing like 15 G's, just because "you're bored with a car", there's nothing you can think of you can mod it with? I mean, its your life, but think of how better off you can be in 10-15 yrs, if you invest these $15,000 and keep your car through college.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:08 PM
Mauja He Mauja

however, if i am not able to sell my car now (before jan 11), i will have to take this car or the expedition (so my parents can sell this) to college for next semester...i'd much rather have the rsx over there since my car is almost bone stock at this point...my friends and i have spent the last 4 days completely taking my car apart and putting it back to stock

PRAISE THE LORD AND SELL ME SOME MODS CHEAP
I kinda agree with Mr. Burner. Y should we care if he wants to buy another ride. I know we all love maxima's, but if he wants to sell his,,so be it. Mr. Burner plz go ahead and buy the SUPRA. I think that will be a wonderful project. If you pass by Indy, on your way to school, i might buy some of your mods.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:13 PM

You don't like the Max cause it's too big, but you like the Expedition?
Old 12-26-2001, 08:13 PM

i'll look at the route that i planned out (friend is a fedex trucker from arizona to columbus ohio twice every week and a half so that made the route much easier to plan)...i'm pretty sure i pass through indiana though...not exactly sure which part

here is what i have left

body kit, cattman y pipe, place racing cai, cattman fstb, 2 jl audio 12w3-d6 subs in a custom box w/ an mtx 750 watt 2600 amp and parts of 2 dash kits (3 pieces from a joshua tree real brushed aluminum kit and probably 10-15 pieces off of a synthetic brushed aluminum kit)

let me know if you are interested

i can't afford a supra right now but hopefully after college i will be able to get one (hopefully the price on 97-98s goes down..they are selling for almost how much they were new w/ a good 30-40k miles)
Old 12-26-2001, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Ludacris
You don't like the Max cause it's too big, but you like the Expedition?
hah, i don't know if i'd say i like the expedition...its fun for once in awhile driving...remember, i used to have the expedition and traded it for the max...the max is more of a sporty car but too big in my opinion to be such a sporty car...the expedition is not meant to be a sport car and occasionally its fun to just sit high above everyone and to be able to go offroad whenever you need to...the expedition isn't something i'd like to own again, but its fun on occasion...but i took it today on the highway and it sucks...it feels so light on the highway because it just moves around with the air...its not aerodynamic at all
Old 12-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Mauja He Mauja

mr burner

you've got PM
Old 12-26-2001, 08:31 PM

Old 12-26-2001, 08:34 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Ludacris
y, in your expert opinion, does cardomain suck
Old 12-26-2001, 08:36 PM

mr burner

you've got PM
and you've got a reply

passing through indiana on the 70
Old 12-26-2001, 08:58 PM

Because I've been trying for 2 weeks to upload photos and still can't..others have tried too..
Old 12-26-2001, 09:31 PM

Yes, it SUCKS Big Time!
Old 12-26-2001, 11:44 PM

get a kia!
Old 12-27-2001, 07:57 AM

Re: Current Situation...what to do?

[i]Originally posted by MrBurner

so any input is appreciated...thanks [/B]
Hey Mr Burner, I would think that a Nissan Z car would be perfect for you, better than a 5 year old Supra. The Max is awesome for the price but since your alone with no kids, I dont see a point for you to still own a Max, Supra nah, go ahead and buy the Z car. If you parts out your max drop me an e-mail some of your mods might interest me.

Cheers

DoubleA
Old 12-27-2001, 09:22 AM

Re: Re: Current Situation...what to do?

well i wouldn't get a supra until after college anyways, i can't afford one right now...and i can't afford the new z right now either...this is another thing about nissan that ****es me off...29+ thousand dollar sticker price (not that i paid that much) plus 12k in mods i can't even get a 23k$ acura...wtf? this car has no resale and if i wait until summer w/ 10k more miles on it, i'm sure the resale is even lower

well i'll look at the new z after college when i'm able to afford one

Originally posted by doublea

Hey Mr Burner, I would think that a Nissan Z car would be perfect for you, better than a 5 year old Supra. The Max is awesome for the price but since your alone with no kids, I dont see a point for you to still own a Max, Supra nah, go ahead and buy the Z car. If you parts out your max drop me an e-mail some of your mods might interest me.

Cheers

DoubleA
Old 12-27-2001, 11:30 AM

let me quote you "what is wrong with you"...well, thats how i feel about what you are doing...
don't get me wrong, I personally could care less even if you have a car, I just can't stand ppl being brainwashed by clever marketers. We have someone on this .org who traded-in his perfect 2k for a 6spd 2k2, and after only a month of having it, had to downgrade to Altima...

I read somewhere that Mazda is bringing rotary-engine car back to the US..
Old 12-27-2001, 04:48 PM

I read somewhere that Mazda is bringing rotary-engine car back to the US..
That would be the Rx8.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:56 PM

I agree 100% but then again its not my car/life so i dont really give a shiet...
Old 12-27-2001, 09:05 PM

my cars totalled

just got hit on the side..its baaddd as hell. from one side, back bumper, to the other side. no more money for mods. im screwed wit insurance.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:12 PM

Re: my cars totalled

Originally posted by Raf2kMax
just got hit on the side..its baaddd as hell. from one side, back bumper, to the other side. no more money for mods. im screwed wit insurance.
whatcha mean-you didn't have insurance?
Old 12-27-2001, 09:33 PM

Re: Re: my cars totalled

whatcha mean-you didn't have insurance?
of course i do.
but it hurts man..when u put so much time and money into ur car..and it just gets TOTALLED completely..flatbeded to my garage.
it just sux
Old 12-27-2001, 09:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: my cars totalled

raf2kmax...please reply to my email asap (MrBurner@qwest.net) i need to know if you still have your front orange corner markers and your stock fog lights...if so...i really need them...immediately...please email me and i'll paypal you money immediately for next day shipping so i can have them by monday...thanks

Originally posted by Raf2kMax

of course i do.
but it hurts man..when u put so much time and money into ur car..and it just gets TOTALLED completely..flatbeded to my garage.
it just sux
Old 12-29-2001, 11:03 AM

- Agree 100%!! Be happy with what you have, especially in these times of weary economic distress. You should feel fortunate that your parents are covering all of your college costs so you can state that your current financial position is in your favor. Working summer jobs might get you pocket change for moding your car but it sure won't cover the cost of living expenses for someone expecting to graduate from college anytime soon. It was hard enough trying to find a techy job coming out of college last year (flooded market with experienced professionals) and this is coming from someone who graduated with a 3.97 gpa overall at a four year business/computer school. I guess living in or around NYC, you realize pretty quickly just how much the cost of living quickly outweighs the little things. I personally live 2hrs north of the city, have now since worked for a well-known company for exactly a year, and I'll tell you, it is pretty damn hard to find a modest house for under 300 grand around here. To each his own, (I choose to live in NY state because I want to), but some advice would be to at least think longer term before making any sudden short term decisions that translate into wasted dollars.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:14 AM
Mauja He Mauja

I guess living in or around NYC, you realize pretty quickly just how much the cost of living quickly outweighs the little things. I personally live 2hrs north of the city, have now since worked for a well-known company for exactly a year, and I'll tell you, it is pretty damn hard to find a modest house for under 300 grand around here. To each his own, (I choose to live in NY state because I want to), but some advice would be to at least think longer term before making any sudden short term decisions that translate into wasted dollars.

PRAISE THE LORD
Old 12-29-2001, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by kwakman
the subaru wrx has horrible stock rubbers on them. People have noticed a huge difference from changing the tires from the start. Also, I'm sure that the STi version of the wrx will handle significantly better than the standard wrx model. I would have to say wait a little more to see what your options can be since cars on paper may seem nice...but u wont know how they'll do once they're in production(talking about the Z). I would have to say take the Sti...but change the back somehow with a body kit fast...cause they are pretty ugly.
there's always going to be much better cars every year...just buy whatever you want..at least you'll have nobody but yourself to blame.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:26 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: my cars totalled

raf2kmax...please reply to my email asap (MrBurner@qwest.net) i need to know if you still have your front orange corner markers and your stock fog lights...if so...i really need them...immediately...please email me and i'll paypal you money immediately for next day shipping so i can have them by monday...thanks

sorry bro..i wasnt online cause of the whole accident and stuff. gotta look for the fogs and orange corners after work today...hopefully update tonite..if i dont..that means i dont have em on me..and its at my place in queens or the shop took it.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:25 AM

I'll tell you, it is pretty damn hard to find a modest house for under 300 grand around here.

A modest house in NYC for 300G US, man that really sucks, how can an average man buy a house ??? Few years ago I bought a 2500 square feet bungalow with 8000 square feet land on a street corner for 92G CDN = 55G US I am 20 minutes from downtown and it cost me peanuts for living, why do you think I drive a Maxima.

How come the house are so expensive in the state ??? oh ya that's because of the 40% taxe on canadian woods imports.

Cheers

Double A
Old 01-02-2002, 08:48 PM

mrburner, i say you go for the acura rsx. i mean, if you're 6 ft. tall and wahtever and you fit comfortably in it, and it got pretty good ratings all around from car and driver too (i know that doesnt mean much)..but still. cars not that bad. if i need to get rid of my max cause of all the damage, i might be opting for a 5 speed, smaller car..cause like you..im in college too.