5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5gen....oil...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM

5.5gen....oil...

I usually would add a quart every 2k miles. did lots of highway driving and i just added a quart after less than 1k. It was super low I couldn't believe it. I just don't think its burning oil that much more.
So my thoughts are maybe its leaking somewhere ( nothing on the ground). However at idle I hear what sounds like a drip on metal (Like the ticking metal noise a car makes once you turn it off after a nice drive). After a lot of driving its very fast and heavier sounding. Common??
Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM
No more Maximas...

FWIW there's a TSB about the fuel dampers making very loud clicking noises.

Have you actually looked under the hood for what's making the noise, or no?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Try replacing the PCV valve.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Toolie

also check for the infamous cracked valve covers.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM

the valve cover could cause some of this for sure.
I thought I was burning oil bad also, turns out I should start changing my own oil because the Mr Lube goofs kept reinstalling a drain plug washer overtop of the one still on there.

I don't know how long this went on for but I finally noticed a small leak right at the drain plug.
Since I freaked out on them for this (and for selling me the wrong cabin filter) I'm losing virtually no oil and get a couple of Oc's on them.

Just something that could be causing increased consumption.
Good luck.

Contrary to BITOG and his biased rigged test, don't be afraid to add some Lucas synthetic stabilizer if the consumption continues
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 PM

thanks for the replies guys. I have already changed the valve cover/gasket.
I had very little time today but i went around the car and it seems like its underneath towards the engine, by the y-pipe area i guess??? and i had the hood opened and heard some ticking. not sure exactly where from (this was both before and after I added a quart of oil so its not the chain i guess)
I do change my own oil and there has never been any oil on the ground afterwards. I have never seen any oil spill to the ground.
from what I have read the PCV valve seems to be a must. Guess I'll get around to that soon. And I'll also check out that TSB. Its a little late here so sorry if this is a confusing (out of order) post.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:10 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

On the way to Kentucky this past week, I used about a quart of oil on the way (little over 1000 miles because I had checked it in the morning before I left and did some driving around) but about half a quart on the way back (955 total miles), which is in line with my typical 1 quart per 1800 miles. Exhaust tips got really black on the way there, not so much on the way back. Even averaged nearly 2 mph faster on the trip home. Go figure.

I changed the PCV about a year ago, probably change the valve cover gaskets when I change plugs some time this summer, I can definitely smell a bit of oil hitting something on the exhaust system so it is likely the rear valve cover is the culprit.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 AM

While I strongly recommend changing-out the Valve cover gasket (get the 04+ version as replacement) I had mine done a year ago by the Stealer, and NEVER had ANY reduction in Oil Loss.

Changing to the 04+ valve COVER will get you better Plugs seats, and hopefully eliminate the leaking of Oil into your plugs/coil packs -- i think this is really important!
Naturally - the dealer only replaced MINE with the 02 Version, so i'll be seeing THIS issue again in another 50k miles.

I also tend to notice higher Oil consumption on the HWY, and particularly in the elevated Temps now that summer is here, and WHILE loading the engine WITH the A/C on....

My NEXT move is to switch to Mobil1 High mileage variant, or go back to Dino.
This b.s. just pisses-me off....this engine should NEVER burn THIS much oil.

gr
Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by ghostrider17

gr
I'm switching to Mobil1 High Mileage too. Definitely agree our engines shouldn't burn oil at a rate of a quart per 2000 miles or less. I had 280,285 miles on my Accord when I sold it and after 3000 miles it was down about a half quart. Same with my 626, which had 163,300 miles on it when it was totaled.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Adding oil every 500 miles, we have an advantage running fresh all the time lol. Do you think the savings by reduced oil consumption (if so) would beat the higher cost of the high mileage mixtures (aside of other healthy effects)?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I'm already running synthetic, if I might end up low on oil, I'd much rather have synthetic in the crankcase as added insurance. Therefore, using High Mileage Mobile1 isn't any more expensive than what I already use.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I'm already running synthetic, if I might end up low on oil, I'd much rather have synthetic in the crankcase as added insurance. Therefore, using High Mileage Mobile1 isn't any more expensive than what I already use.
I'm abt. 2k from my 5k OCI, and I need to add about 3/4 qt. to my engine right now to hit full.
That's NOT including the 1/2 qt. + I dumped-in just a few weeks ago.

I WAS experimenting with running the oil level @ half on the dipstick, to see if that reduced my consumption rate -- but it didn't. Theory debunked....at least for MY engine.

Scottwax -- keep me/us posted on what you do, and the results you get from the M1HM oil when you get it changed....i'll do the same.

Oh - and it's not the EXTENDED MILEAGE Mobil1 oil we're talking about that allows for longer OCI's....it's the HIGH MILEAGE formula for older engines. Last time I checked - the HM version wasn't THAT much more $$ than the regular M1.

Not entirely sure what the difference in formulation is, but supposed to be good for sealing old gaskets and such.
We'll see.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 06-15-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 AM

For me once the valve cover was changed, the burning stopped. it was burning about a quart every 1500, but now it doesn't burn a drop.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
While I strongly recommend changing-out the Valve cover gasket (get the 04+ version as replacement) I had mine done a year ago by the Stealer, and NEVER had ANY reduction in Oil Loss.

Changing to the 04+ valve COVER will get you better Plugs seats, and hopefully eliminate the leaking of Oil into your plugs/coil packs -- i think this is really important!
Naturally - the dealer only replaced MINE with the 02 Version, so i'll be seeing THIS issue again in another 50k miles.

I also tend to notice higher Oil consumption on the HWY, and particularly in the elevated Temps now that summer is here, and WHILE loading the engine WITH the A/C on....

gr

We agree 100%. I had the told the stealer to replace my gasket and cover with 04+ version. They do the work and after I read the paperwork they claim I said 04+ on the gasket and 02 on the valve cover(why would i ever say that?...ever?) so now I got the leaking again. I use Mobile 1 fully synthetic 5W30. HWY kills me. But I was wondering if the ticking noise I hear (like the metal tick after a car is turned off) is another issue or not? I hear it when the car is on and the longer/harder I drive, the more frequent it gets.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Yet another oil consumption thread.

Myself and a few others have tried the lucas sos and burn virtually nothing. Just throw in castrol gtx 5w30 and a quart of the synthetic stabilizer and it should help.

I tend to lose maybe 1/4 quart per 3000mi. It's nice to feel confident you don't need to check your oil level every other day.

Alot of people believe Bob the oil salesman, and his test. Aside from him testing the heavy duty stuff his test doesn't really hold much water when you analyze the facts.
Funny how he is sponsored by Schaeffers etc. The lucas stuff says right on the bottle (will not foam), and I've never had a problem, nor have I heard of others having any problems.

Another good thing is the climbing characteristics. Since I started adding the stabilizer there is never any start up timing chain rattle, even in the freezing Canadian winters.

Just remember to use the SYNTHETIC stuff if you try it.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 AM

the metal sound you hear is probably your timing chain. When you don't have enough oil, you lost pressure and that's why you hear this sound but i guess the sound disapear when your rev over 3k?.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 PM

No no no. Thats more of a constant clicking sound when its the timing chain. That has only happened to me once and thats how I learned I burn oil. This is like the sound when you turn the car off and the HOT metal is cooling and I've gone under the car and heard the sound.
That timing chain sound is the worst btw. A roommate of mine had his altima's oil change at one of those $20 places and they FORGOT TO PUT OIL BACK IN. IDIOTS!! He told me about the sound and he is currently dealing with the lawsuit(PITA). He will sell the car before anything happens. But I'm SURE thats NOT the noise I'm hearing.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Blitzfist
For me once the valve cover was changed, the burning stopped. it was burning about a quart every 1500, but now it doesn't burn a drop.
Definitely doing that when I change plugs.