Driver Window Not Rolling Down - Motor or Switch? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
Reload this Page >

Driver Window Not Rolling Down - Motor or Switch?

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver Window Not Rolling Down - Motor or Switch?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
  #1  
Luvs his Max
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 117
Driver Window Not Rolling Down - Motor or Switch?

Hey Max peeps. Long time no visit. Unfortunately I come in need and not just for a casual visit. I apologize for the brief visit. Hope everyone's doing well and their Max's are treatin' them sweeeetly.

Mine has been solid, except that recently I left my windows open in a bad rain storm and a few weeks later my front passenger window started acting up, not wanting to roll down occasionally. The other day, it finally just stopped all together.

Car: 2003 SE/TE 6 Spd

All the other windows in the car work fine by way of their individual controls or by the driver controls. However, the Front Passenger side doesnt work with either. I don't hear a click or anything when i try to engage the window.

I have some questions for you peeps. If you wouldnt mind helping out, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much In advance!

1. Do I have a bad motor or just a bad switch on the front passenger door?
2. How Can I test it before digging into the door?
3. If I need Parts, where Can i get them?
4. Is this something I can do myself fairly easily or given the complexity and cost of parts, should i just bring it to my guy?

Any other ideas of information or things i can do to test/fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Nar
Narrator is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
sounds like a switch to me but I wouldn't know about how to diagnose the problem without getting a little into the door. Does anyone know if the trim around the switch can be pried open to test the wires with a voltage meter?
DallasDrift is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 376
yeah.. inside the handle there is a screw thats covered by a plastic tab, remove the tab, remove the screw and the trim will pop off.. be careful not to break the clips that hold the trim
BigOgre is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 06:07 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,374
not motor, i have the same issue, i replaced motor, still dont work. master switch is at fault.
Professor is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 AM
  #5  
Luvs his Max
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
not motor, i have the same issue, i replaced motor, still dont work. master switch is at fault.

Ok, yeah that's sort of what i was thinking. By "Master Switch" do you mean the switch on the drivers door or the front passenger door (Faulty one)?

Have you replaced the switch yet and gotten it to work? If so, where did you get the switch?

Thanks!
Narrator is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,374
Originally Posted by Narrator View Post
Ok, yeah that's sort of what i was thinking. By "Master Switch" do you mean the switch on the drivers door or the front passenger door (Faulty one)?

Have you replaced the switch yet and gotten it to work? If so, where did you get the switch?

Thanks!
Yeah the main switch on the drivers door, i havent replaced mine, its toast though, i had it apart.
Professor is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM
  #7  
Luvs his Max
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Yeah the main switch on the drivers door, i havent replaced mine, its toast though, i had it apart.
So the main switch is causing the front passenger switch to not work? I dont imagine there's a separate fuse for each window eh?

ugh..that thing looks expensive..heh. I think it might be forked though because the lock/unlock toggle doesnt work either.

SO, i'll be replacing the main control switch. Anyone have a diagram of this or know where I can get this part for a decent price? There are no junkyards around.

thanks!
Keith
Narrator is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
  #8  
Luvs his Max
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 117
nevermind..found the parts sticky.. ... flame away.
Narrator is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 279
You can always check http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...w.car-part.com Many used units available, You can always have one sent to you via mail.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Window switch Left
2003 $149.13 $107.38
Turbonut is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM
  #10  
Luvs his Max
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
You can always check http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...w.car-part.com Many used units available, You can always have one sent to you via mail.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Window switch Left
2003 $149.13 $107.38
Thank you! Actually i just called Courtesy Nissan (who i've ordered from a few times before) and I explained the issue to the dude there. He seems to think that I either have a different problem than with the main switch, or two totally separate problems.

If the main switch was broken, then the front passenger switch should still control the window, and vice versa, unless the motor was broken. But i don't hear a click when i try either switch.

I'm going to try pulling both off and trying to test them... any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help
Narrator is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,374
Classification:
EL01-012 Reference:
NTB01-037 Date:
June 1, 2001 2000 MAXIMA DRIVER'S FRONT POWER WINDOW - NO OPERATION
APPLIED VEHICLES:
2000 Maxima (A33) APPLIED VINs: Vehicles built before
JN1CA31A*YT027125
JN1CA31A*YT222281
JN1CA31D*YT547197
JN10A31D*YT762425 APPLIED DATE: Vehicles built before
April 3, 2000 SERVICE INFORMATION
If an Applied 2000 Maxima exhibits the following symptom:
^ The left-hand (driver's) power window motor does not operate, The auto up/down function of the front, left-hand power window main switch may be intermittently jamming or sticking, causing the left-hand power window motor assembly to stop working.
Use the information in this bulletin to confirm the incident and determine if the left-hand power window motor assembly needs replacement.

If an Applied 2000 Maxima needs power window motor replacement, the power window main switch assembly should also be replaced with one from the PARTS INFORMATION section of this bulletin. See Figure 1 for location of the front, left-hand power window motor assembly and power window main switch assembly.
Use the Service Procedure in this bulletin to address this issue, should it occur.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Confirm that the front, left-hand power window is not operating. 2. Using the EL section of the appropriate Service Manual, diagnose the power window circuit. ^ If the Trouble Diagnosis section indicates motor replacement, proceed to Step 3 below. ^ If the Trouble Diagnosis section indicates cause(s) other than the motor, repair as needed. 3. Remove the power window main switch assembly from the switch finisher. 4. Disconnect the switch assembly. 5. Replace the power window motor assembly. 6. Re-connect the switch assembly. 7. Verify proper operation of the power window. 8. If the vehicle was built before the APPLIED VINs/APPLIED DATE listed in this bulletin, replace the power window main switch assembly also.
PARTS INFORMATION

CLAIMS INFORMATION
Reference the current Nissan Flat Rate Manual and use the indicated FRT. Sufficient time is included to replace the power window main switch assembly, if required.



2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms of Use
Professor is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 PM
  #12  
Luvs his Max
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Classification:
EL01-012 Reference:
NTB01-037 Date:
June 1, 2001 2000 MAXIMA DRIVER'S FRONT POWER WINDOW - NO OPERATION
APPLIED VEHICLES:
2000 Maxima (A33) APPLIED VINs: Vehicles built before
JN1CA31A*YT027125
JN1CA31A*YT222281
JN1CA31D*YT547197
JN10A31D*YT762425 APPLIED DATE: Vehicles built before
April 3, 2000 SERVICE INFORMATION
If an Applied 2000 Maxima exhibits the following symptom:
^ The left-hand (driver's) power window motor does not operate, The auto up/down function of the front, left-hand power window main switch may be intermittently jamming or sticking, causing the left-hand power window motor assembly to stop working.
Use the information in this bulletin to confirm the incident and determine if the left-hand power window motor assembly needs replacement.

If an Applied 2000 Maxima needs power window motor replacement, the power window main switch assembly should also be replaced with one from the PARTS INFORMATION section of this bulletin. See Figure 1 for location of the front, left-hand power window motor assembly and power window main switch assembly.
Use the Service Procedure in this bulletin to address this issue, should it occur.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Confirm that the front, left-hand power window is not operating. 2. Using the EL section of the appropriate Service Manual, diagnose the power window circuit. ^ If the Trouble Diagnosis section indicates motor replacement, proceed to Step 3 below. ^ If the Trouble Diagnosis section indicates cause(s) other than the motor, repair as needed. 3. Remove the power window main switch assembly from the switch finisher. 4. Disconnect the switch assembly. 5. Replace the power window motor assembly. 6. Re-connect the switch assembly. 7. Verify proper operation of the power window. 8. If the vehicle was built before the APPLIED VINs/APPLIED DATE listed in this bulletin, replace the power window main switch assembly also.
PARTS INFORMATION

CLAIMS INFORMATION
Reference the current Nissan Flat Rate Manual and use the indicated FRT. Sufficient time is included to replace the power window main switch assembly, if required.



2009 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms of Use


I appreciate the response, but this does not apply to me as i neither have a 2000 maxima nor is my driver side window not operational.

I have a 2003 max and it's my front passenger door that's not working.

thank you.
Narrator is offline  
Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by Narrator View Post
I appreciate the response, but this does not apply to me as i neither have a 2000 maxima nor is my driver side window not operational.

I have a 2003 max and it's my front passenger door that's not working.

thank you.
Oops, I read it incorrectly also as I thought it was the master control on the driver's side. Probably the switch:
Window switch Right
2003 $121.47 $87.46

Same thing happened to my daughter's passenger side switch. Did a replacement and good for the last 4 years. Now the back left is acting up, and that switch hasn't been used in years!
Turbonut is offline  
Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,374
well i can post info on the 2003 if you like,
Professor is offline  
Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 AM
  #15  
Luvs his Max
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
well i can post info on the 2003 if you like,
Yeah that would be fantastic. Thank You.

But this brings me back to my original question.

If the passenger door switch is at fault, shouldnt the main control switch still be able to control the window?

Or, if the passenger door switch is shorted, than nothing can control it?

Thanks,
Keith
Narrator is offline  
Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,374
Well, my issue is my rear driver window wont work, it goes down but not up, i replaced the switch and motor on the rear door and its the same, there are some traces on the master switch that are burned up, thats my issue, All my other windows work..
Professor is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 28
So how do you replace this switch? Is there a "how-to" written somewhere?

EDIT: found this...

Originally Posted by Time2go! View Post
I have had this happen a (2) times in my 2K3 and this has fixed it each time.
The limit switch reset. Easy!!!
Your Window Regulator needs to be reset, here is the procedure posted by another member:
Driver window one touch up RESET procedure - TIP!!

Step 1: Pry the plastic cap up off the bottom centre of the door pull handle and remove the single Philips screw.

Step 2: Remove the whole switch panel (in which the door pull handle sits) by prying it up from the back end either with a flat edged screwdriver or table knife (under cloth) or by hand which is what I did. It is just clipped in so should come out relatively easily sliding it up at the back and then pulling it back.

You can now see the inside of the door from where the switch finishing plate sat. You can leave the wiring all attached and simply hang the switch and handle plastic assembly to one side so you can see the inside of the door.

Look inside towards the front bottom of the door behind the plastic vapour barrier you will see a small black switch. It almost looks like a black pan screw head. This is the reset switch but there is a sequence to now doing the actual reset procedure. The switch doesn't really feel like one when you press it through the plastic liner which incidentally you don't need to cut (at least I didn't have to). It is a switch that is only on when you are pressing it otherwise when released it is off.

STEP 3: Make sure the window is closed (up) completely. Turn the ignition on so the windows are receiving power.

a) Press the reset switch (and keep it pressed in) and open (down) the window completely (manually -NOT with AUTO ONE TOUCH DOWN FUNCTION).
b) Release the reset switch. Then close the window completely (manually only - NOT AUTO UP).
c) The limit switch is now reset. Easy!!!
from this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...w-problem.html

Last edited by FM 1970; 09-10-2009 at 12:19 PM.
FM 1970 is offline  
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pleasanton,CA
Posts: 1,136
The TSB applies to my vehicle and the driver side switch started acting up. I took of the door panel and disconnected the power to the motor since it was acting so intermittently. Cost of switch was $120, decided not to replace since the cost isn't justified for a 10yr old vehicle
Love_00_Max is offline  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
  #19  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
driver side window

hello i need a pic of the drivers side harness so i can put the wires back like factory... it has 16 wires thst connercts to the plug for the switch... any help
maxigurl is offline  
Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
  #20  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Daly City, California
Posts: 3
same problem

I own a 2000 Maxima. The problem i'm having is the front passenger window not working. Although, i'm able to open/close it from the driver side. Any ideas as to how this can be fixed with the least amount of expenses to be paid? thanks.
Joelskiii is offline  
Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens Village, NY
Posts: 1,419
I swear maxima master switches are fail.
luvlexus101 is offline  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:41 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 836
My driver side window just stopped working. I can control all other windows from the drivers buttons. Does that indicate a burnt motor?
2damax is offline  
Old 11-19-2011, 01:22 AM
  #23  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
My simple solution

For my 2000 max, the front and rear passenger side windows won't roll back up. When i do accidentally roll them down from the driver side switch, I have a simple procedure to get it back up. I pry open the passenger side switch and then using an external wire, short the two blue wires while pushing the switch. That does the job. I think the passenger side is just not getting the power (the circuit is broken somewhere) needed to roll up the window. In my view, it is unlikely that the passenger side switches are bad. The problem exists somewhere in the wiring (possibly under the hood...with a loose connection) or the master switch is bad. Tomorrow I will try and find that reset switch that someone mentioned above and see if that helps things.
PG


Originally Posted by Joelskiii View Post
I own a 2000 Maxima. The problem i'm having is the front passenger window not working. Although, i'm able to open/close it from the driver side. Any ideas as to how this can be fixed with the least amount of expenses to be paid? thanks.
gpuneet1 is offline  
Old 11-06-2016, 04:37 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Nashville
Posts: 26
I'm having the same exact problem with my 03 max. The switch randomly rolled the passenger window down today but I can't get it back up. Tried using a jumper wire but can't figure out which ones to jump. Or find any schematics on the window pins
Kjizzle is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
Yup, I'm just gonna resurrect this ancient thread to say this is now happening to me. Initially, Front Passenger window has rolled all the way down, and I can't get it back up using either the front passenger switch or the master switch. At first I was freaking out bc I thought I caused this failure during my extensive interior renovation. Now, I'm starting to think it's either the motor or master switch.

I got another front pass switch at a junkyard, but it wouldn't raise the window either.

Time to get lost in the FSM...again...
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 PM
  #26  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Posts: 49
I had a 96 Civic that had similar symptoms. It wasn't switches. It was the wire sheathing between body and door...over time, corroded. Solution would have been to find the bundle from a junkyard, or to make my own wire. Lucky for me, the Civics had manual windows also, so I just converted to manual crank windows with manual locks.
pastaben is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 PM
  #27  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
OMG...don't say that man. That's literally my nightmare scenario. Not necessarily a corroded wire, but a wire with a knicked jacket from all my putzin' around, or a bent/broken molex pin after I removed the speaker wire pins to run new wires through the boot into the passenger door. I reaallllly don't want to go effing around with the molex plug.
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 PM
  #28  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Posts: 49
NOt saying wiring is what it is. Simple way to test is to try opening or closing window with door open to varying degrees. That's how I found out by accident my Civic's windows was the wires. I found sometimes if I slammed the door, the windows would roll up. It would go down, but then not up. I then found I could work the windows with door open. Then it stopped altogether. Try that first.
pastaben is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 06:40 AM
  #29  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
I'll try it out, you may be onto something there. I may have inadvertently created a loose connection at the molex plug, or further in the door.

But, here's the weird thing - nothing in the passenger side responds. Meaning, I can't roll the window up, and I can't lock/unlock the doors. Also, I can't lock or unlock the doors from the master switch either. Which makes me think it's the master switch, and not a wire issue or window motor.
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM
  #30  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by YoungMike85 View Post
I'll try it out, you may be onto something there. I may have inadvertently created a loose connection at the molex plug, or further in the door.

But, here's the weird thing - nothing in the passenger side responds. Meaning, I can't roll the window up, and I can't lock/unlock the doors. Also, I can't lock or unlock the doors from the master switch either. Which makes me think it's the master switch, and not a wire issue or window motor.
LOL. I'm way out of my depth here. What you have done w/ your car is far more than I would attempt. I only share what I discovered by accident in my old Civic because of the similar symptoms. What you consider weird may still be the same thing. Eventually, nothing power in my Civic doors worked, which is why I switched them over to manual. Just thinking it through, if it's the master switch that's bad, the passenger side switches should still work, no? It's still worth checking the harness bundles because no juice, no opening/closing windows and no locking/unlocking. Beyond this, I'll just keep following this thread to find out how the story ends.
pastaben is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 08:58 AM
  #31  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
To my knowledge, the door switches are wired in series after the master switch on the driver's side. Which means if a connection is bad on the master switch, it doesn't matter if the other switch works - it won't get power because the master isn't sending it.
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 06:55 AM
  #32  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 45
Do you hear a click when you press the window switch?

I recently had my passenger side window just stop halfway as I was rolling the window up.
I did notice a sound what seemed to be air gasping before the window stopped moving.
I also recently discovered that previous owner had tweeters on door and the power box/distribution box (whatever it is called) was installed behind door panel and was blocking the path of the window preventing it from rolling all the way down.

So back to my passenger front window that stopped working, I didn't hear that small faint air sound anymore and the window was not moving but I did hear a click which I assumed meant my switch worked and it had power but no action, so I fortunately just removed all 4 window motors from my parts car earlier that day along with the windows since it had better tint that my current windows and I decided to remove passenger door panel and disconnect the window motor and connect the one from the parts car. And it worked so my problem was the window motor.
vingodine is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 AM
  #33  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
Again, I doubt it's the motor. In addition to the passenger window not going up, the power locks are not working. They don't work from any switch in the car, so that tells me the master switch is at fault.
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 03-01-2019, 04:40 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
So, played around with it tonight. I was able to get the window to roll back up by directly jumping the wires in the connector. At this point, I'm convinced it's the master switch. Hopefully I can pick one up from a junkyard, because the cheapest OEM replacement online that I've found is $260....yikes!
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 09:39 AM
  #35  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
I got an exact match at a junkyard today, no luck. Still having the exact same issue - no power locks, front passenger window cannot be controlled at all from the master switch. Passenger window will roll down from passenger switch, but it won't roll back up. The only way I've gotten it back up is by jumping the wires in the connector on the front passenger door.

At this point, I'm back at square one. If anybody has dealt with this before, I'd love to hear from you!
YoungMike85 is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 02:47 PM
  #36  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by YoungMike85 View Post
I got an exact match at a junkyard today, no luck. Still having the exact same issue - no power locks, front passenger window cannot be controlled at all from the master switch. Passenger window will roll down from passenger switch, but it won't roll back up. The only way I've gotten it back up is by jumping the wires in the connector on the front passenger door.

At this point, I'm back at square one. If anybody has dealt with this before, I'd love to hear from you!
What about the other doors and windows LR lock, windows? RR lock and windows LF windows and lock? Both from their local switches and the master switch? What about lock unlock with the remote ?

pastaben is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 02:58 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,347
I have never had to deal with this problem, so I am just adding my thoughts.

Since you have replaced the driver and passenger door switches and the motor will roll the window up when jumpered, these parts have pretty much been ruled out. What is left is the SECU. When you use the keyfob remote, it is the SECU that locks/unlocks the doors and rolls the windows down via the comm line (a blue wire between pin 33 on the SECU and pin 16 on the passenger door). Maybe if you disconnect the battery and let the SECU reset and unplug/replug the wire connectors, maybe this might do something. Maybe the SECU is bad and a reset won't do anything.

Since there is nothing that describes the SECU in-depth, it is a black box that has its fingers in the window and door lock circuits.
DennisMik is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 03:00 PM
  #38  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by DennisMik View Post
I have never had to deal with this problem, so I am just adding my thoughts.

Since you have replaced the driver and passenger door switches and the motor will roll the window up when jumpered, these parts have pretty much been ruled out. What is left is the SECU. When you use the keyfob remote, it is the SECU that locks/unlocks the doors and rolls the windows down via the comm line ( a blue wire between pin 33 on the SECU and pin 16 on the passenger door). Maybe if you disconnect the battery and let the SECU reset and unplug.replug the wire connectors, maybe this might do something. Maybe the SECU is bad and a reset won't do anything.

Since there is nothing that describes the SECU in-depth, it is a black box that has its fingers in the window and door lock circuits.

Is the SECU the same as a body control module?
pastaben is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 03:02 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,347
Essentially yes. In the 4th gen it was called body control module, but for the 5th gen its functionality was enhanced and renamed.
DennisMik is offline  
Old 03-02-2019, 07:15 PM
  #40  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 69
So, here's a summary of what I've learned:

Front pass window will not roll down or up via master switch
Front pass window will roll down via front pass switch, but not back up
Front pass window will roll up when power is jumped at the connector
Door locks will not work from either master or front pass switch, or from the key fob
Master switch can fully control all other windows - front driver, and both rears

I've swapped both master and front pass switches, no change. My next assumption is that there is something wrong in the wiring harness. From the FSM, it appears that power for the windows is sent first to the master switch, and then sent to each individual switch. So, my best guess is that a connection is broken at the molex plug in the driver door, or in the passenger door. However, I still don't think this explanation makes much sense - because if this were true, then I should have no power at all in the passenger door, and I would not even be able to jump the connections and force the window to roll up.

I'm guessing this is where the SECU comes in - since it's not an issue with power, but signal. If I understand you, Dennis, you're saying the SECU is essentially not allowing the switches to communicate with the window motor, correct?

If I can't reset the device, where would I locate it in the FSM or the vehicle? I tried searching for SECU or body control module under the electrical section, but could not find reference to it.
YoungMike85 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Window Not Rolling Down - Motor or Switch?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.