5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver Window Not Rolling Down - Motor or Switch?

Old 03-02-2019, 07:44 PM

YoungMike85, SECU p.EL322, Smart Entrance Control Unit, and p.EL354. location diagram.
I'm assuming you looked at the Trouble Diagnoses, p.EL237. Seems to suggest checking harness(es).
Old 03-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Ok, I found another post where you had a picture of the SECU - looks like it's above the gas/brake pedal. Still no luck yet finding it in the FSM. (thanks Pastaben!)

I may try to pull this part at a junkyard and swap it out as a test.

Pastaben - initially, the troubleshooting on p.EL267 suggested 1. Power window switch 2. Window Regulator 3. Master Switch 4. Wiring harness, so ya - I never would have thought to look at the SECU.

Last edited by YoungMike85; 03-02-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by YoungMike85 View Post
So, played around with it tonight. I was able to get the window to roll back up by directly jumping the wires in the connector. At this point, I'm convinced it's the master switch. Hopefully I can pick one up from a junkyard, because the cheapest OEM replacement online that I've found is $260....yikes!
Thats what i paid in South Africa, make sure you get the correct switch, use your vin no. I ordered a secondhand one from japan that was not the correct unit.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:08 AM

YoungMike,
My 5.5 had a problem with the driver side window. Unlike your issue it was isolated to the driver side window. The window struggled to move up on a couple of occasions and one day it barely made it back up so I decided not to use it until it was fixed. I brought it to a glass repair guy here in NY on Liberty Ave. They did not have a used motor but they sent me to a local place named Arch Auto to get a new replacement motor. I bought the motor and they replaced it in like 30 minutes. My car is fine now.

When I first read your post I was convinced it was the motor but now I am not sure that is the case.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2albatross View Post
YoungMike,
My 5.5 had a problem with the driver side window. Unlike your issue it was isolated to the driver side window. The window struggled to move up on a couple of occasions and one day it barely made it back up so I decided not to use it until it was fixed. I brought it to a glass repair guy here in NY on Liberty Ave. They did not have a used motor but they sent me to a local place named Arch Auto to get a new replacement motor. I bought the motor and they replaced it in like 30 minutes. My car is fine now.

When I first read your post I was convinced it was the motor but now I am not sure that is the case.
I had sort of the same problem a few years ago with the drivers window. You could see the bottom rubber seal fold over when lowering the window.
Turned out all the rubber in the tracks was dried out, so I squirted lithium grease all around the window frame
Works perfectly now.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Did you figure out what the problem was?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Not yet. I tried resetting the system like Dennis suggested. I unplugged both switches on the front windows, and then disconnected the battery. Let it sit for 5 minutes, re-connected everything, no change. I'm not sure if I was also supposed to disconnect the 3 molex connectors at the SECU when doing this, but I was afraid that would cause more problems so I left it alone.

Another thing that has occurred to me is this - I wonder if it has something to do with the combination meter? Again, I'm not clear on what that is or what it does - but I do know that when I was trying to wire the steering wheel controls back after removing the stock unit, I noticed in the FSM that one of the wires in the harness is connected to the combination meter. Since I didn't need that connection for my aftermarket harness, it was never re-connected to anything. Could it be related to this somehow? Is the combination meter part of the circuit that communicates window and lock functions from the master to the passenger side?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the update YoungMike85. Sorry, I can't help you here. I was just curious as I am following the thread. The level of electronics you're digging into is beyond my competence.