5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan service messed up

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 03:04 PM

Nissan service messed up

I brought my car in for the 22,500 mile service today. When I went to get it back, I found that none of the buttons on the keyfob worked anymore.

Also the electric lock/unlock all doors inside the car didn't work, the electric windows could be opened and closed even with the key out of the ignition, and the cap that goes on the cigarette lighter hole was out and thrown down on the passenger side floor.

Does anyone have enough electrical experience to explain to me what is going on here?

Also, any insights into why the f--- someone would have yanked out the cigarette lighter cap?

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2001, 03:08 PM
Got Bent?

take it back and ask them to refund you the money they charged you for the service. That is completely unaccepetable. I don't see how or why they would erase the key fob so it won't work on your car anymore. And the cig lighter?
Old 11-26-2001, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wtf

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
take it back and ask them to refund you the money they charged you for the service. That is completely unaccepetable. I don't see how or why they would erase the key fob so it won't work on your car anymore. And the cig lighter?
that's f*cked up! I agree with UMD_MaxSE go back to the dealership.

I dont know how they managed to do all that but the cig lighter I might know why, the last time I went to my dealer for the service he used some sort of hand held device that he plugged in to the cars computer and it was powered throught the cars cig lighter, so maybe thats what they did and then the ignorant lazy bastards forgot to put the cover back on! If I were you I would go back and make them refund all the money. show it to the manager if it helps. (sometimes however it works better if you just show it to the front desk or mechanic people)

If the other stuff is not working due to a blown fuse, I would demand to know why the fuse blew.
Old 11-27-2001, 08:15 AM

The Plot Thickens

Just wanted to give an update, because this gets pretty
ridiculous...

First of all, after twelve hours with the car, here's what
I've discovered:

- All the buttons on the keyfob don't work.

- Electric door locks don't work.

- Windows and sunroof open and close even when the key is out of the ignition.

- Rear window defogger doesn't work.

- Dome light doesn't come on when the door is open (yes, the switch is set to the middle position).

So, I went back to the dealership this morning, their garages were closed, and the guy came out and said the bank had closed them down by court order, and he wouldn't be able to make appointments.

Under these circumstances it seemed like a no-brainer to ask for the refund. He said that was fine, but he obviously can't do anything until they reopen.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:25 AM

WTH!

What kind of dealership is that?

Man I hope they didnt close for good (Bankruptcy or something like that)
Old 11-27-2001, 09:46 AM

It sounds like whoever worked on your car fried or shorted your computer, or the main module that controls the lights. keyless entry, etc. I fried mine accidently once (of course I didn't tell the dealer I did it myself when I went to get it replaced). When I shorted mine I had all the symptoms you described.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Part of the problem could be that they disconnected the battery which means you have to reset certain functions however this sounds more serious and I would take it back.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:01 AM
Got Bent?

sounds like they were able to fry almost every fuse in your fuse box....
Old 11-27-2001, 10:19 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

This is some seriously focked up shia here...damn!!

Sorry for all your troubles, but give em hell
Old 11-27-2001, 10:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

ECU/fuses...

Let's just hope they didn't kill the ECU.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:28 AM

Where's the dealership and what's the name of it? Just so you can warn people not to go there?

Well ... if they're getting shut down, it doesn't really matter, but it would still be nice to know where it is.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:38 AM

Ok I just got back from my local nissan service department (Tri-Cities Nissan, Pasco, WA) and they think that most likely its something like they disconnected the battery but if thats not the reason its most likely that your fuses are blown. (Although they did point out that it could be many other things too but most likely those two reasons) They couldnt beleive it either.

yea sorry for all your troubles I hope they are not gone bankrupt and still are able to fix what the f*cked up!
Old 11-27-2001, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, they did disconnect the battery, apparently to clean and condition the posts. You can see where they rubbed of some gunge around the posts that had built up.

The thought "bankruptcy" went through my head as well so.... Luckily, my wife works at the bank where we have this checking account, so she verified that the check hasn't cleared, and is putting a stop-payment on it.

Old 11-27-2001, 12:15 PM

Dealership...

Almost forgot. The dealership is Melody's Bellevue Nissan. There's also a Kirkland Nissan under the same ownership.

For those who don't know this is all Seattle suburbia.

Hey... while I'm writing this, I got a call from the dealership I ended up taking it to this morning (Town & Country Nissan) on Aurora Ave North. They fixed it.

They said apparently, the other place disconnected the battery while the key was in the ignition and this scrambled up the computer. So, they reprogrammed it and its ready to go!

Old 11-27-2001, 01:35 PM

YEAH
Old 11-27-2001, 04:40 PM

What idiots. You should put in a complaint to Nissan about this.