5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My parking lights have a mind of their own!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 AM

My parking lights have a mind of their own!!

It all started a few months back when my driver side parking light would not come on when I turned my headlights on. So I figured ok whatever the bulb is out, but when I went to replace it I realized the both parking lights were on. I still decided to check the bulbs to make sure and the bulbs seemed fine. A few months later the passenger side parking light started acting up and would not come on after turning my headlights on and after a few minutes it would come on.....NOW all the sudden both my parking lights have decided to play this ON/OFF game and so they basically never come on when I first turn on my headlights until after a few minutes. They always end up coming on but I don't know why they do this...Any one have similar experience? At first it will seem like the parking light(s) are out but after a few minutes they come on even though the headlights have been on the whole time....they are CRAZY and they have a mind of their own!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 AM

if it was just one of them i wulda said check the ground..but both of them do it..so idk lol..check the ground for both maybe and see if thats ur problem?..worth a try
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM

I had the same issue. They turned on and off when ever they felt like it. I kicked the car where the lights are located and they have stayed on ever since. I went ahead and replaced the bulbs so I don't truly know if the kicking helped.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM

Well, of course it couldn't of been the new bulbs...you did kick it.

And good luck with your problem, Ive never had this happen. Same thing as maxima dude said.. check your grounds and if all else fails...

Take it to a shop
Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Yeah Carlos, I wish I could be of assitance but Im still trying to figure it out myself I blew a fuse and all my lights went out then once the fuse was replaced the only light that won't come on is my driver side parking light everything else is fine. Ive been going 2 months like this partially because Im to lazy to look also Lol
Old 07-15-2009, 01:54 AM

Cool thanks for the info guys. Just the other night I saw this lady in a 02-03 Maxima GLE pull up next to me. For some reason both her parking lights were out or something cause all you could see were the HIDs, her fog lights weren't on. Anyway it thought it looked pretty cool.
Do you guys think if I just pulled both parking lights bulbs out, that would look alright? I wouldn't have to worry about them coming on and off and car would look good at night. I do keep my fog lights on all the time though.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CARLOS9827
Do you guys think if I just pulled both parking lights bulbs out, that would look alright? I wouldn't have to worry about them coming on and off and car would look good at night. I do keep my fog lights on all the time though.
You can barely notice they aren't on so it would look fine. The problem I have is mine are connected to my Halo's so Im driving around with one set out which looks pretty dumb Lol.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Until you get pulled over for no parking lights.

When you say parking lights, to you mean all four corner lights, the two "white" lights above the turn signals in the front cabinet and the rear lights as well?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Colonel
Until you get pulled over for no parking lights.

When you say parking lights, to you mean all four corner lights, the two "white" lights above the turn signals in the front cabinet and the rear lights as well?
Pulled over????? For parking lights never heard of that but yes the lights above turn signal
Old 07-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Jreed2008
Pulled over????? For parking lights never heard of that but yes the lights above turn signal
I was trying to get your attention as parking lights refer to all the lights I listed. Those two lights wont get you pulled over. However if your true parking light system is out it WILL get you pulled over.

Anywho...the lights in reference I know what your problem is. I had the same issue. Its a "cheap" bulb in a cheap socket. In my case the thin wire on the bulb edge was fractured and the socket was "sloppy".

Get a new set of bulbs. Pull the socket and check for corrosion. If so, clean it up. Then bend the socket tabs (the two metal pieces in the socket) much closer together. They bend easy so dont get carried away. Then install the bulb. It should be very snug.

Next step PRIOR to installing the bulb sockets back in their hole, turn on the lights and tab the fresh installed bulb and socket and see if they flicker. If they do, readjust the tabs. If they dont you are golden. Do this step or you will install it an quite possibly have the same issue.

Its just a cheap *** design for an area that sees so much moisture.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM

^Hey man thanks a lot for that info. I never thought that cheap Nissan bulbs could be the issue, I thought if I went out and bought some Sylvanias or something I would keep having the same issue....thanks again.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by CARLOS9827
^Hey man thanks a lot for that info. I never thought that cheap Nissan bulbs could be the issue, I thought if I went out and bought some Sylvanias or something I would keep having the same issue....thanks again.

Yeah, I went with "oh, need new ones" idea too. But when the lights were out the next day I knew I didnt put enough thought and started looking closer.

Remember to tap (I said tab) them before installation to make sure they dont flicker. Mine was a case of bulb AND socket issues.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM

wow thats crazy, electical problem?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 AM

If they knock on and off like almost every electrical issue i've had, whether lights, brake lights, or system. Something is loose. Hit a bump, causes it to go loose, hit another, causes it to retouch and work fine. I'd check all the wiring patiently and closely.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Or a short somewhere? orrrrr, you could try the "kicking" remedy advised above lol.
Has also worked for me a few times rofl.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 AM

Check out sheet EL-69 of the FSM. I'm looking at the 02 FSM do yours may be different but I doubt it. It shows that the marker lamps and parking lamps are all powered from the same point on a fusible link.

If you follow the diagram you may be able to trace where the break may be or if it is a bad ground.

From looking at the diagram quick the main power wire travels first to the

LH Marker
LH Parking
RH Parking
RH Marker

If it is the main feed and both parking lamos are out then the RH Marker will also be out.

If not then I'd bet on ground issues.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Do you guys look at the post times?

doggy style trolled around with a useless post to bring up an old thread when it was solved already.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 AM

All my work for nothing.

That'll teach me.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by fflint_18
All my work for nothing.

That'll teach me.
Well, not for nothing but as I look through some of the posts in the 5th gen forum, I notice this doggy style guy is just a troll. Bringing up old posts with senseless/useless drival and contributing nothing to the solution of the thread.

BTW, he was getting power to all lamps you indicated except for the two lamps above the turn signals. Those were "flickering" versus lacking power.