5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ride Height Adjustment Options...Coilover or Shock

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Ride Height Adjustment Options...Coilover or Shock

I read through alot of threads and gathered a bunch of different reviews but some dated back all the way to 05. New products have come out and old have changed so I was looking for feedback and opinions on getting some ride height adjustability options. I have a 01 se with H&R springs and stock struts all around bolted to some 20" wheels(I know there is mixed opions on the wheels so lets skip straight to to each his own and damnit cause I like it)

What I was looking for was to see if there was any other option than coilovers to get some ride height adjustment, cause I do like the H&R springs but would like to sit a little lower in the front. Does anyone make a ride height adjustable shock? I'm not going "air ride" and I was looking to avoid the $1000 plus coilovers and I was reminded of a set of adjustable height shocks I had on my old civic which I can't seem to find. My stillen lip kit is getting painted and give the front a lower stance and want to be able to put on some G wheels for the winter so I'm sure I'll need to play with the ride height? Any options? or any good feedback on coilovers that won't break my wallet?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by woody6212
I read through alot of threads and gathered a bunch of different reviews but some dated back all the way to 05. New products have come out and old have changed so I was looking for feedback and opinions on getting some ride height adjustability options. I have a 01 se with H&R springs and stock struts all around bolted to some 20" wheels(I know there is mixed opions on the wheels so lets skip straight to to each his own and damnit cause I like it)

What I was looking for was to see if there was any other option than coilovers to get some ride height adjustment, cause I do like the H&R springs but would like to sit a little lower in the front. Does anyone make a ride height adjustable shock? I'm not going "air ride" and I was looking to avoid the $1000 plus coilovers and I was reminded of a set of adjustable height shocks I had on my old civic which I can't seem to find. My stillen lip kit is getting painted and give the front a lower stance and want to be able to put on some G wheels for the winter so I'm sure I'll need to play with the ride height? Any options? or any good feedback on coilovers that won't break my wallet?

To do it right the only way is a decent set of coilovers imo. Why not just go with some different springs and shocks? You will lose the comfortable H&R ride but get the drop you want.

I'm also not sure I have heard of ride height adjustable shocks since the spring is what controls the height. Maybe your thinking of gound controls?

As for coilovers to recommend that are cheap there really aren't any that will ride good and not break the bank unless you get lucky and pick up a good used set here cheap. I have ridden on K-Sports and D2's and the ride is ehhh lol. Its like finding an old metal snow sled and having someone pull you through a field of rocks, yes that awesome of a ride. If you want a decent ride go with bc's, Teins or Jic's but to some those are breaking the bank.

Kevin
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coilovers for height adjustment + dampening.
Aftermarket (i.e. Illuminas) shocks for dampening.
Ground + non-adjustable aftermarket shocks for height.
Ground Controls + Adjusttable Aftermarket Shocks for Dampening + Height.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM

How bout nex coilovers? There pretty cheap and comfy.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Haven't really heard any feedback on the NEX coilovers before... I'm mainly worried about replacing the stock struts which I'm sure are blown with new shocks and have the front raise up even higher...Kinda like I said earlier the rear sits great but the front could be a little lower and I'm thinking new shocks are gonna raise it up a bit since they won't be worn...I'll look into the NEX though..
Old 07-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Yea, either NEX, or sell the H&R springs and get Progress, since the drop is more.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM

I think Koni yellows have a adjustable spring perch on there struts. I dont know if they make them for the maximas or not though.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 AM

maybe consider cutting the front springs just a hair..to get that little more your looking for. oh and of course get some illuminas.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 AM

Ya after reading like half the posts in the .org forum I think Coilovers may prove to be more of a headache than I want...Squeeks, blown shocks, jacking up the car everytime to change ride height, rough rides ect... I'll steer clear of hackin up the H&R's but I think I'm going with a shock spring combo instead... I do wanna go a little lower in the front still so from what I read the tein S tech springs will gimmie one of the lower front drops and keep the H&R rear springs...

NismoWolfe helped me with what I was thinking of and that's Koni shocks that had adjustable spring perches but haven't looked to see if they make an application for a 01.. From what I've gathered though unless someone has a better suggestion for shocks I'm thinking of illuminas and tein S tech in the front and illuminas and H&R in the rear...
Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

I run Illuminas with H-techs (ft) and H&Rs (rear) for a more even stance.