5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

cant drive stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 AM

i tried it today actually.. i had to go get my haircut.. and there is this crazy hill that i had to encounter... i did it with the hand brake.. sweet.. . oh yuh i can move the car without the gas.. its jus some times with out enough clutch out it will start to shudder, and to much clutch in you wont move.. so its like .. in, out, in out, and the car will move.. thanx for being so helpful
Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM

Go slow would be my advice. Let the clutch out as slow as you can until you feel that grab hot your foot, give some gas, but not too much. You'll get the hang. If you learned the basics quickly, you'll be draggin' in no time with a stick shift. Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bakermax
Learning how to drive stick is the worst, I remember almost driving my dad crazy when I learned.
PLUS 1! My dad was going crazy...he looked like a booblehead doll b/c of my rough shifts and stalling LOL. He eventually gave up and my cousin taught me.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by tokenblackidVQ
cool cuz i thought that i was goin about it all wrong.. u can rev a lil.. good.. cuz i give it around 500-1000 then start comin off the clutch. u know that there are a million ways to TELL a person how to drive stick and a 1000 youtube vids describing and showing you how to drive,but the only way is to get out there and **** up a whole lot.. lawl b/c the day i bought my max.. i had to go up a damn hill the 1st day.. no body taught me or told me about adequate clutch and gas so that i do not roll back as far.. i had heard the e-brake trick but didnt really know how to do it.. my approach was i dont wanna hit no body so imma let the cars in front go up a bit and then just kinda jerk and launch a lil.. i still suck but im more confident but eventually i got it.. but dont get me wrong.. i did study youtube vids and take advice,but its a whole nother story when you are in traffic and everything seems to be a slight incline.. then you go god dammit this again.. you realize how many hills are in your town lol.. its all about confidence from there on
good, i'm glad you're getting it.. and yeah, as far as that hills thing.. i find that people are RARELY close enough to me that i would actually hit them if i rolled back a little bit.. i rarely ever use my e-brake anymore.. only when i'm parallel parking on a hill in a tight spot.. one time when i was first learning, i was rolling back and forth on a hill, and this @$$hole sees that, then proceeds to move closer to me.. that got me mad, f*cked up my cool and i got nervous and stalled.. but yeah, i feel you.. you never know how many hills are around until you learn how to drive a stick, lol
Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are helpful with every problem Ive brought here. But I got it down in 15 minutes, no joke! Im not perfect, but I know what Im doing. I even brought it over to a parking garage, drove uphill, practiced reversing, and drove downhill. Then I drove on a pretty busy road, 45 mph, then kicked it in 5th and got over 55. I guess Im one of those who got it fast. This time I practiced on an 01 accord, so much easier than that pos 98 stang. I start training for my job on Monday, and my confidence is up. Thanks a lot bros. And tip your valet damn it!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by pbn85
PLUS 1! My dad was going crazy...he looked like a booblehead doll b/c of my rough shifts and stalling LOL. He eventually gave up and my cousin taught me.
lol.. i was teaching this girl the other day in my car.. she was actually alright.. her shifts were SLOW as hell.. lol.. when she pressed the clutch in to change gears, the RPMs went all the way down to idle, then she put in in gear and let the clutch out.. no gas of course, so the car jerked, lol.. but that woulda been too much for a first lesson, so it was alright.. a couple times she tried to shift without having the clutch all the way in! i was like dont EVER move the stick unless you have the clutch ALL the way in.. lol
Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM

Double clutching, not granny shifting like you should be...
Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by YoungLee
Thanks for all the advice, you guys are helpful with every problem Ive brought here. But I got it down in 15 minutes, no joke! Im not perfect, but I know what Im doing. I even brought it over to a parking garage, drove uphill, practiced reversing, and drove downhill. Then I drove on a pretty busy road, 45 mph, then kicked it in 5th and got over 55. I guess Im one of those who got it fast. This time I practiced on an 01 accord, so much easier than that pos 98 stang. I start training for my job on Monday, and my confidence is up. Thanks a lot bros. And tip your valet damn it!
no problem.. just another tid-bit.. dont try an aggressive downshift until you're ready to start rev-matching.. i tried to downshift to 2nd gear at 40 mph for the first time.. i was like "let me see what all this downshifting mess is about..." so i'm at 40 mph, put the clutch in, shift to 2nd gear (meanwhile now the rpms are at idle) i let the clutch out without touching the gas... BANG! the car jerked like a motherfreaker as the rpms jumped up to 4k and scared the hell out of me.. lol
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
no problem.. just another tid-bit.. dont try an aggressive downshift until you're ready to start rev-matching.. i tried to downshift to 2nd gear at 40 mph for the first time.. i was like "let me see what all this downshifting mess is about..." so i'm at 40 mph, put the clutch in, shift to 2nd gear (meanwhile now the rpms are at idle) i let the clutch out without touching the gas... BANG! the car jerked like a motherfreaker as the rpms jumped up to 4k and scared the hell out of me.. lol
Yeah, I found that out going 30 trying to shift into 3rd and putting it in 1st. Doesnt sound so good.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by tokenblackidVQ
.. so its like .. in, out, in out,...
Correct sir, not only for cars
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM

practice practice practice just get used to it on your own. best way to learn lol
Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by viperboy
The one thing that some people think is right when it starts to move, you can pull the clutch all the way out, but you can't. Once the car reaches the "friction point" (where the car starts to move when you let the clutch out) let it out a little bit further and hold it there for about a second and you will drive smoother.

It's a little hard to explain, but you just have to try it. I was surprised because my girlfriend was like "I wanna drive your car!!" and I'm thinking oh god but I explained a few things to her that people already posted in this thread and she drove pretty well for a first timer.

Point is, of the girlfriend can drive stick, you can haha
This is exactly what I do, I stay on the clutch a split second or two after it catches, so it doesn't jerk.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM

just remember, "when in doubt, clutch in." cant go wrong with that, that way, you can brake as hard as fast as you want without stalling the car. just like driving a automatic. like the other gurus said, all clutch engaging points are different, just gotta feel it. good luck sir
Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 AM

I have to disagree on the all clutch points are different, I usually just look at how heavy the clutch feels, I mean there's a lot of clutch cars I've driven and they all seem to catch in the same place, its just on how heavy the clutch felt in all honesty, but thats my opinion.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Double clutching, not granny shifting like you should be...
He's a valet not fast n furious!

thanks for the tip vin diesel lol
Old 08-31-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
When you can truly drive a stick the clutch becomes unnecessary. In other words I can drive a manual with or without using the clutch. A lot a manual drivers know nothing about how to time a gearbox. That's why you see them all over the forum babbling about how they keep killing their gearbox...morons.
Nice response to the young valet leaning how to drive a stick
Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Bad *** Newb

Pshaw, I learned on a '92 f250 with a 460 in it. I could idle up hill at almost 20 mph in 3rd gear lol.

In 2 weeks you should be able to daily drive in stop and go traffic uphill.

I can't drive an auto anymore. I almost wreck. Yes, it's possible.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 08-31-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 PM

I suggest you find a small hill where you can practice finding the balance between throttle and clutch! What I mean is to practice keeping your vehicle at a standstill using ONLY your clutch and throttle. There's a balance between the two and until you find it you'll be driving at risk! I learned to drive a 5 speed (Datsun 2000 roadster) when I was in the 5th grade....Use the force and let it flow....
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 PM

I already got it down but thanks. It took me about a half hour to learn in an accord. My first day at work, the first car I drove was a stang gt 6spd. Drove it like a pro. Im happy I learned cuz im banking 20 bucks an hour plus on most days.