5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Adjusting Backing plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 PM

Adjusting Backing plate

I have been starting threads about this scrapping sound coming from my right front wheel. Come to find out Its my backing plate and I need to adjust it. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Also if anyone can tell me how to do it, it would be DEEPLY appreciated.

Also I think that my struts are beginning to go after going over bumps I'll hear creaking just wondering if anyone has advise on what kind of struts to get. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 AM

As the backing plate, dust shield, is very thin, just bend it away from the rotor. You can use a screwdriver or even a small pry bar to do the job.

As far as struts, many, many choices, but your pocketbook is the best indicator of what you might want to buy. Looks like they start around $50 and go to $105 for "stock" replacement, higher for performance models.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soxruled0
I have been starting threads about this scrapping sound coming from my right front wheel. Come to find out Its my backing plate and I need to adjust it. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Also if anyone can tell me how to do it, it would be DEEPLY appreciated.

Also I think that my struts are beginning to go after going over bumps I'll hear creaking just wondering if anyone has advise on what kind of struts to get. Thanks for the help.
on just pushing the dust shield back and out of the way.

Did you even search about the struts??? Believe it or not, you are not the first one to question what the best struts are.....

Here is a link to help you decide....
http://www.shiftice.com/spring_strut_decision.html

Oh yeah.....and as for your screen name, all I have to say is papi and manny = PED's. The sox wouldnt have won '04 or '07 without those guys, and they both tested positive around those times. Can we say "asterisk"???

Just my biased opinion as a Yankee fan
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM

I have been starting threads about this scrapping sound coming from my right front wheel. Come to find out Its my backing plate and I need to adjust it. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems.
YES! That's exactly what I'm hearing, too. It sounds like a stone between the rotor and dust shield, doesn't it? But only when you turn the wheel to the right and roll forward slowly.

It's been going on now for a few months for me. But I just wasn't sure, because you only hear it when the curb acoustics are just right to allow the noise to bounce back into an open passenger window.

Very glad to see this thread. I need to look at the right front dust shield.

Let us know if that fixes your scraping noise. Man, that seems so simple. Here I was thinking wheel bearing or tie-rod ends...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM

Does it matter how far back I bend it cause I've been going crazy trying to figure out what that noise was first i thought it was the CV joints then the wheel bearings then the rotors but then when I brought my car to my shop to get the A/C fixed they found it was the backing plate they adjusted it then it went away for a couple of days then came back. I'm going to do it today at work and see how it works the struts aren't as bad as they seem but have never been changed my car has 63k and I've talked to people and they've said that around 60k the struts will begin to go. Ill take some pictures of the backing plate as I do it to show how I did it.

"Oh yeah.....and as for your screen name, all I have to say is papi and manny = PED's. The sox wouldnt have won '04 or '07 without those guys, and they both tested positive around those times. Can we say "asterisk"???

Just my biased opinion as a Yankee fan "

You live in Ma and your a NY fan I think your just a little bit jealous of the fact we won you almost had us back in 04 but they got a little cocky. Just my thoughts as a SOX fan haha.

Last edited by soxruled0; 09-01-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
YES! That's exactly what I'm hearing, too. It sounds like a stone between the rotor and dust shield, doesn't it? But only when you turn the wheel to the right and roll forward slowly.

It's been going on now for a few months for me. But I just wasn't sure, because you only hear it when the curb acoustics are just right to allow the noise to bounce back into an open passenger window.

Very glad to see this thread. I need to look at the right front dust shield.

Let us know if that fixes your scraping noise. Man, that seems so simple. Here I was thinking wheel bearing or tie-rod ends...
Yes exactly I only hear it when the windows are down and turning right! Its the most aggravating noise. I cant tell you how many times I've taken off my right front to see whats going on under there. But since I have found it out its a huge relief.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Does it matter how far back I bend it cause I've been going crazy trying to figure out what that noise was first i thought it was the CV joints then the wheel bearings then the rotors but then when I brought my car to my shop to get the A/C fixed they found it was the backing plate they adjusted it then it went away for a couple of days then came back. I'm going to do it today at work and see how it works the struts aren't as bad as they seem but have never been changed my car has 63k and I've talked to people and they've said that around 60k the struts will begin to go. Ill take some pictures of the backing plate as I do it to show how I did it.

"Oh yeah.....and as for your screen name, all I have to say is papi and manny = PED's. The sox wouldnt have won '04 or '07 without those guys, and they both tested positive around those times. Can we say "asterisk"???

Just my biased opinion as a Yankee fan "

You live in Ma and your a NY fan I think your just a little bit jealous of the fact we won you almost had us back in 04 but they got a little cocky. Just my thoughts as a SOX fan haha.
Just push it back a couple millimeters or so all the way around the rotor. That should be plenty to stop the noise. If it doesnt, then its probably something else. When was the last time you had your brakes done? It may be the wear indicator if the pads are getting low.

And I'm not so much jealous.....just not happy that the sox have won more recently than the yanks, so i am making excuses. Pretty valid ones though if you ask me so I am all about throwing some asterisks on those championships.....maybe place those trophies right next to the barry bonds home run *****
Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM

OK so today I fixed the Backing plate and here are some pictures of how badly the backing plate was rubbing against the rotor.

http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?albumid=1530

I couldn't figure out how to make the pictures come up so I just made an Album and put the picture in there.

And to be honest with you I would have to agree that if the Red Sox didn't have PAPI or MANNY they wouldn't have won those world series, but they seemed to be doing well this year untill the yanks got in there hot streak

Last edited by soxruled0; 09-01-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Here's the thing I don't understand... why would we only hear this noise when turning the wheel? Why not all the time? Is it because of the acoustics, meaning, by turning the wheel it makes it easier to hear an existing noise?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM

You know I wondered the same thing, But I noticed When you turn the wheel to the right the backing plate gets a little bit closer to the rotor then when your going straight. But its an easy fix doing everything probably took me about 15 minutes the biggest time consumer was taking the wheel off.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM

I just spend the last 10 minutes yanking the front right rim. The dust shield wasn't touching the rotor, not exactly. Not like in your picture. However, pieces of the dust shield were flaking and bending into the rotor. In other words, this 7 year old NY winterized metal plate is rusting.

So I scraped off the rusting flakes and bent the shield inward.

And I'll find out later if this is all it is. I mean, it has to be... I don't think that sound could be anything else.

I'll let you know mañana.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-01-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Ok so today diving I realized that since I fixed that Backing plate, coming out of right hand turns It scrapes for a second then nothing but there is 0% noise when turning right which is so much better now its just time to look into struts.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM

I'm still scraping... somewhere. I don't think I did a proper job messing with it yesterday. Either that, or the noise is traveling from the left side. (sad)
Old 09-02-2009, 08:18 PM

Yes thats unfortunate, you should check all your plates and space them out about a quarter of an inch thats what I did and it works great.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:29 AM

I found it!

It actually was the front right dust shield, but there's more than one component to the shield design. I had the car on ramps last night, and observed the lower dust shield was resting directly on the rotor.

Well... normally there would be a gap of a few millimeters between the shield and the rotor, but the surface of the rotor (about 3/4 inch from the hat) was so badly rusted that the gap had all but disappeared.

I'm doing rotors and pads again next spring, this time with RTP rotors, plated and painted.

Anyway, I'm done. Sounds like you're done, too, SOX. I'm glad you created this thread, btw. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 AM

No problem it was a issue I had been trying to fix for months.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:21 AM

Thanks!

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to OP and resulting discourse, it helped me pinpoint the scraping/squealing coming from my RF tire now that my car's on the road.

During the engine removal/replacement, and fighting with that cursed rh cv axle, I must have pushed the rotor backing plate into it. But after doing a quick search for "squealing" and then "scraping", I found this thread.

My noise wasn't rpm or brake affected, so I had a good idea this was the problem as soon as I read it.

Thanks again,
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM

About to tackle this tomorrow, i will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the thread!