5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thinking of selling my 2002 max.. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 AM

Thinking of selling my 2002 max.. worth it?

So this is my 2nd maxima i've had... both were 2002, auto, and majestic..

The car only has 110k on it and i just had a low mileage tranny put in. The car now drives Fabulous. I mean its powerful, the tranny shifts like butter and quick...

I spent the money to get everything right, has ALL the bells n whistles minus Nav, but after dealing with the tranny problem from an incompetant shop, i lost the love of the car now...

i owe right at 6grand for it. i was literally just thinking of letting it go for 6 grand..

With the leather black interior and all the goodies, body is great shape no dents or anything...

Would i be making a mistake to just letting it go? i mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car anymore....none...

i'm wondering if this is a mistake to try to sell...but you know after dealing with a problem, you kinda lose that love for it...

thoughts?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 AM

did you buy the car recently? why do you owe 6k on it?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by MidN1te
Would i be making a mistake to just letting it go? I mean there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car anymore....none...
I'm going to address this seriously, because that's how I was feeling some time back; (with the exception that my Maxima has been paid off for years now.)

This might sound strange, but sometimes a car is like a relationship, and you need to put effort into making it work. If it's a one-way street, it will get old and boring.

So make yourself appreciate your ride more, which is pretty easy to do... simple suspension mods, a nice new radio, some engine performance mods, wheels, tires, brakes, paint care, lighting, etc.

If you take your time, and spread it out over the months and years, you'll spend lots less than payments on something new and expensive, all the while developing a feel-good hobby.

Personally, I want a new Infiniti G, but I'm having so much fun with my old Maxima, it just doesn't make sense to get rid of it.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 AM

I purchased the car in january. I got it from the dealer for 7 grand.

I purchased it because i needed a daily driver because i have a turbo s2000 and its not good in the snow hahaha...

I mean i've seen these maxima's with higher mileage and modded go for more all the time around here and craigslist so i figured 6 was fair.

But i'm not sure if i would be kicking myself in the butt for selling her. She's a great car, but now that i take the train to work and its walkable from the house, i'm kinda now wasting the car cuz it just sits there...So, paying for a car that's just sitting there doesnt seem too logical..

I would rather have someone else have it to enjoy it.. but i'm kinda selfish as i still wanna keep the car...just not sure if its logical to do so.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm going to address this seriously, because that's how I was feeling some time back; (with the exception that my Maxima has been paid off for years now.)

This might sound strange, but sometimes a car is like a relationship, and you need to put effort into making it work. If it's a one-way street, it will get old and boring.

So make yourself appreciate your ride more, which is pretty easy to do... simple suspension mods, a nice new radio, some engine performance mods, wheels, tires, brakes, paint care, lighting, etc.

If you take your time, and spread it out over the months and years, you'll spend lots less than payments on something new and expensive, all the while developing a feel-good hobby.

Personally, I want a new Infiniti G, but I'm having so much fun with my old Maxima, it just doesn't make sense to get rid of it.
hmm... makes sense... I just figured i'd purchase this car as a daily and not mod it because i already have a 350whp s2000 as my toy...

This was all before i got moved to a new job in my military career so i dont drive much at all... i'm paying for the s2000 still and i'm paying for the maxima and i dont drive either one of them much anymore.

I thought i wanted to do allllll the bolt on's for the maxima, but after the recent tranny problem i had and fixed...it made me wanna steer clear from modding it anymore...

i DID lower it though on H-techs because i cant STAND wheel gap hahaha
Old 09-09-2009, 05:57 AM

OH and also, you both have 6 speeds.......i mean i would MUCH rather have a 6 speed maxima now since both of mine were automatic's

It seems like all the 6 speed folks can do SO much more!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 AM

hmm... makes sense... I just figured i'd purchase this car as a daily and not mod it because i already have a 350whp s2000 as my toy...

This was all before i got moved to a new job in my military career so i dont drive much at all... i'm paying for the s2000 still and i'm paying for the maxima and i dont drive either one of them much anymore.
That's a lot more info than your original post.

Based on that, if I were in your shoes then I'd get rid of one of those cars... probably the Maxima. Two active car loans, when you don't drive much and one is a S2000 (!?) Yeah, I'd ditch the Nissan, and buy some Blizzaks for the Honda.

Sorry for the about face. And yes, it's easier to feel the love for a 6MT.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-09-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 AM

OH and also, you both have 6 speeds.......i mean i would MUCH rather have a 6 speed maxima now since both of mine were automatic's

It seems like all the 6 speed folks can do SO much more!!!
Hotshot and I... we're both original owners, too.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:12 AM

That's a lot more info than your original post.

Based on that, if I were in your shoes then I'd get rid of one of those cars... probably the Maxima. Two active car loans, when you don't drive much and one is a S2000 (!?) Yeah, I'd ditch the Nissan, and buy some Blizzaks for the Honda.

Sorry for the about face. And yes, it's easier to feel the love for a 6MT.
Yea the S2000, even being turbocharged on a stock motor has been proven reliable... i'm completely on a stand alone system with a stock motor and the car is just an awesome beast...

so i figured i loved my old maxima before, i need a daily *at the time* so why not another maxima! something with great daily power and luxury...

I think if i didnt have the tranny problem i probably wouldnt have lost the feeling.. but i spent 2 grand for tranny's and the swaps.. i had 2 tranny's go in and the first one that was installed.. the two clips that go onto the speed sensors were backwards causing the car not wanna shift outta first..they declared it a bad tranny and put another one... same problem..

how did i find out? took it to a master mechanic... he looked at the sensors after pulling the code.. swapped it... and it ran like butter........pissed me off.....that was 2 grand i couldve put towards the maxima to pay it down =/

so you see....financially it pulled me down some as well =/

So i guess i have ONE to say sell...

any other suggestions?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 AM

and if i had a 350whp s2k, the max would be gone!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
and if i had a 350whp s2k, the max would be gone!
*sigh*.. oh how i wished i had gotten the 6 speed Maxima...

I've heard soo many stories of the 6 speed maxima's that were modded with all bolt on's and a tune and pulling like a bat outta hell!!!

Thank you for the compliment on the s2000... she's definately an original. No other's around here look anything like her lol..

Welp.. that's 2 for selling the max..

i guess judging by the majority of older maxima's, modded, with higher mileage than mine asking for more than myself... i'm guessing 6Grand is pretty fair then i assume no?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

those things are hard as hell to find. (not thread jacking)

If you dont want it sell it. no sense paying for when you dont get to enjoy it. if it was a MT id take it off your hands at 6k. if you only need one car keep the s2k or sell both buy a new car and start modding again

B
Old 09-09-2009, 06:38 AM

Wow!!! Nissanman.. i thougth "I" didnt post much and here you are before i was here with almost half my posts! hahahaha.. i'm honored you made your entrance into my thread

So that's 3 folks....

man.........i'm starting to see where this thread is going
Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
those things are hard as hell to find
AutoTrader.com, 5.5 Gen 6MT

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1252503746980
Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 AM

yes, the car with bolt ons moves damn good. im still at the point where i enjoy the car, i have taken her to the road course a few times and with the hlsd diff the car pulls thru high speed corners very well. i would still take your s2k over my car on the track in a heartbeat, as a daily, i'll keep my max. can you post some pics of the sk2?

*sigh*.. oh how i wished i had gotten the 6 speed Maxima...

I've heard soo many stories of the 6 speed maxima's that were modded with all bolt on's and a tune and pulling like a bat outta hell!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Wow!!! Nissanman.. i thougth "I" didnt post much and here you are before i was here with almost half my posts! hahahaha.. i'm honored you made your entrance into my thread

So that's 3 folks....

man.........i'm starting to see where this thread is going
yea i left the maxima world behind for a little bit and concentrated most of my time and energy to my martial arts training. totaled my 97 SE and got on here to post pics and start looking for another one and got addicted real quick. now i just need to find a new one to replace mine. moving up a gen as well.

in all seriousness if you can afford to keep the car keep it and mod it some more if you dont want to invest the time then sell it

B
Old 09-09-2009, 06:53 AM

and with the hlsd diff the car pulls thru high speed corners very well.
You just had to say that.

I hate you, man.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM

when i bought the car i wanted 2 things, grey lustre and hlsd..the dealer had 2 cars, one loaded with the hlsd, and one without..you know which one i got

You just had to say that.

I hate you, man.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 AM

ok i should have been more precise in saying close to me and in my price range...but thanks all the same

B
Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 AM

yes, the car with bolt ons moves damn good. im still at the point where i enjoy the car, i have taken her to the road course a few times and with the hlsd diff the car pulls thru high speed corners very well. i would still take your s2k over my car on the track in a heartbeat, as a daily, i'll keep my max. can you post some pics of the sk2?
do you have face book?

if yall have facebook...

its AmerAznMac@hotmail.com... you can add me.. The wifey is an import model and when we used to go to hot import nights and what not, she would model for my s2k...

add me and you can all the pics.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 AM

yea i left the maxima world behind for a little bit and concentrated most of my time and energy to my martial arts training. totaled my 97 SE and got on here to post pics and start looking for another one and got addicted real quick. now i just need to find a new one to replace mine. moving up a gen as well.

in all seriousness if you can afford to keep the car keep it and mod it some more if you dont want to invest the time then sell it

B
I think if I ever were to mod the maxima.. I would buy a 6 speed and do it.....seems like the right thing to do....

but then what would i do with 2 6speed cars?! lol
Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 AM

I have a 6mt with all bolt ons...it moves very very nice...however, fwd kinda sucks. Next car will be rwd. OP, I say you should sell your car. You could get 6k for it and if you want, buy a 6mt for around the same price. You'll enjoy it much more.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by pbn85
I have a 6mt with all bolt ons...it moves very very nice...however, fwd kinda sucks. Next car will be rwd. OP, I say you should sell your car. You could get 6k for it and if you want, buy a 6mt for around the same price. You'll enjoy it much more.
So i take it 6 grand is a good asking price for what i have... i need to clean it up this weekend and take pics i suppose...

So, how hard is it to control the 6speed off a launch or cornering?

i mean my s2k, i can launch pretty well obviously with the RWD...and my tires are 255's in the back lol...
Old 09-09-2009, 07:22 AM

I think if I ever were to mod the maxima.. I would buy a 6 speed and do it.....seems like the right thing to do....

but then what would i do with 2 6speed cars?! lol
make one an obvious tuner car and make the Max a sleeper. i love stories about kids with vtech/turbo honda civics getting blown away buy a max with intake and exhaust. (no offense to the s2k thats the vtech motor they did right in my opinion)

B
Old 09-09-2009, 07:25 AM

make one an obvious tuner car and make the Max a sleeper. i love stories about kids with vtech/turbo honda civics getting blown away buy a max with intake and exhaust. (no offense to the s2k thats the vtech motor they did right in my opinion)

B
Oh no offense taken! this is my very first honda... luckily its an S2000. it only weighs 2800 lbs.. with 11 psi on the 50 trim turbo pushing 350whp...

i'm pretty positive a full bolt on maxima would'nt be able to take it lol...

but having NA power is so nice... turbo's are fun and nice and all.. but i love NA as well...

Maybe if they found a way to stuff that 3.5 Litre v6 from the acura TL type into there... that would Def be a nice lil s2000.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:31 AM

Seems like you're already upside down on the car. You paid $7k for it in January. You now owe $6k on it. You don't say what your payments are, or for how long. Maybe it's about $200 month. You just put $2k in the tranny.

So, you've put a little over $3k into the car in 8-9 months. That's $330+ per month, and you basically just want to get rid of it for what you owe - $6k.

If you get rid of it you lose that car payment and whatever it costs to insure.

Is there anything else wrong with it?

If you're just a little disgusted because of the recent crap you've dealt with on getting it fixed, that's understandable. But, that feeling is likely to go away.

If you don't want the car, get rid of it. No sense making payments on something you don't need and don't enjoy.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM

So, how hard is it to control the 6speed off a launch or cornering?
Stock, the 6MT is fine on the launch and cornering.

However, add a little HP, and it gets real squirlly, where you have to fight it to keep a straight line.

But if you add a RSB, FSTB and solid engine mounts, the car lines right up again, becoming a point-n-shoot monster.

Of course, I don't have the magical HLSD transmission, or a flux capacitor for that matter.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Stock, the 6MT is fine on the launch and cornering.

However, add a little HP, and it gets real squirlly, where you have to fight it to keep a straight line.

But if you add a RSB, FSTB and solid engine mounts, the car lines right up again, becoming a point-n-shoot monster.

Of course, I don't have the magical HLSD transmission, or a flux capacitor for that matter.
want one?

B
Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by qstick777
Seems like you're already upside down on the car. You paid $7k for it in January. You now owe $6k on it. You don't say what your payments are, or for how long. Maybe it's about $200 month. You just put $2k in the tranny.

So, you've put a little over $3k into the car in 8-9 months. That's $330+ per month, and you basically just want to get rid of it for what you owe - $6k.

If you get rid of it you lose that car payment and whatever it costs to insure.

Is there anything else wrong with it?

If you're just a little disgusted because of the recent crap you've dealt with on getting it fixed, that's understandable. But, that feeling is likely to go away.

If you don't want the car, get rid of it. No sense making payments on something you don't need and don't enjoy.
Yea my payments are roughly 180 a month...

I mean yea i was disgusted because that money couldve gone right into the maxima to pay it down you know?

and there is absolutely nothing wrong... every single thing works great... not even a rip in the seats or anything.

no dents but does has some light scratches from over time.. and the bumpers have some nicks but tha'ts about it.. but its the normal wear n tear kinda thing
Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM

want one?

B
i'm assuming were talking about the Back to the Future lol
Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM

flux capacitor -- want one?
I'm just bitter. Show much, does it?

When I bought my car, I had to wait 2 months just to get Sheer Silver in cloth without a sun roof. Most SE's came loaded, and I really didn't want leather, and I hate sun roofs. On top of which, only like 8% were made with the 6MT. (Which is kind of fascinating, considering how many MT owners there are in this forum.)

So I compromised on the limited slip. Since I don't track the car, it's a minor compromise, but still... wish I had it.

As a daily driver, it's not worth spending $2K to upgrade to the 2006 HLSD 6MT transmission.

Now, if my tranny seized up on me and turned into mush... opportunity, baby!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:51 AM

When I bought my car, I had to wait 2 months just to get Sheer Silver in cloth without a sun roof. Most SE's came loaded, and I really didn't want leather, and I hate sun roofs. On top of which, only like 8% were made with the 6MT. (Which is kind of fascinating, considering how many MT owners there are in this forum.)

So I compromised on the limited slip. Since I don't track the car, it's a minor compromise, but still... wish I had it.

As a daily driver, it's not worth spending $2K to upgrade to the 2006 HLSD 6MT transmission.

lets just hope that doesnt happen lol...

this whole transmissiong ordeal is NOT fun at all..

but then again.. not sure of many 6 speed owners have problems like the automatic folks do.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 AM

i'm assuming were talking about the Back to the Future lol
yea! i can make one for you, dont know how well the time traveling thing will work out but it'll look cool!

B
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM

really big side note: can you put the 6spd MT on the 3.0L? im sure there are all kinds of threads about it and crap but i dont want to search. just say no or yes with you opinion on the level of difficulty

B
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM

yea! i can make one for you, dont know how well the time traveling thing will work out but it'll look cool!

B
ur kidding right? i mean either your bluffing or you actually make something that looks like the flux...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 AM

ur kidding right? i mean either your bluffing or you actually make something that looks like the flux...
dude its not that hard, its basically the x-mas light that look like they chase each other in rubber tubbing, in a box with a glass front. how hard can that be

but how cool would it look?

B
Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 AM

but where would you put it!? hahahaha
Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 AM

but where would you put it!? hahahaha
thats a very good question! maybe in the middle armrest or the back one? or custom make a little flip down thing in the back that would be awesome.

seriously though if i was judging a car show and some dude had a little flip out thing with a flux in it he would win hands down

B
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 AM

I wouldnt sell your maxima just because your chocked up about that repair bill. If she has nothing wrong, pay it off and keep modding. Maybe even sell the S2000 and Supercharge your maxima I'd take an s/c max over a t/c honda anything anyday...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 AM

thats a very good question! maybe in the middle armrest or the back one? or custom make a little flip down thing in the back that would be awesome.

seriously though if i was judging a car show and some dude had a little flip out thing with a flux in it he would win hands down

B
wow... you've given alot of thought to this lol...

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my 2002 max.. worth it?