5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AEM vs. Apex'i Dry Filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 PM

AEM vs. Apex'i Dry Filters

Wanted to know everyones opinion on these.
Which tends to be more popular? Noise Difference? Negatives to either?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM

I heard Apexi is better... from fellow Orgers
Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Ive been leaning towards the Apex'i but i also see AEM in our cars often
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 PM

running the apex'i and don't have a problem
Old 09-10-2009, 12:26 AM

I have a BERK short ram and I have run both the AEM Dryflow and the Apexi "power" filter.

IMO:
AEM (+)
-very durable (you can wash the filter in warm soapy water to clean it)
-very reasonably priced (it is about half the price of the Apexi)
(-)
-not as loud as the Apexi
-I have noticed that my intake "whistles" more with the AEM vs. the Apexi

Apexi (+)
-the noise above 3,500 rpm is INSANE and it is a very deep growl
-I felt that it performed slightly better than the AEM in terms of airflow
-The apexi has smaller length dimensions than the AEM meaning it takes up less space in your engine bay
(-)
-not durable at all...it is not ever supposed to get wet and there is no real way to clean it other than using a high pressure air hose.
-high pricing (~$80)
-Mine was toast after only 2 summers b/c it was clogged with dirt etc...

If you have $$$$ to burn get the Apexi and you willl NOT be disappointed...if you are on a budget and want a great filter get the AEM dryflow...IMO the Apexi is priced about 2 times as much as the AEM but it is NOT 2 times as good so that is why I went with the AEM when I was replacing my fiter last summer.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by M1RAG3
If you have $$$$ to burn get the Apexi and you willl NOT be disappointed...if you are on a budget and want a great filter get the AEM dryflow...IMO the Apexi is priced about 2 times as much as the AEM but it is NOT 2 times as good...
M1RAG3 wrote up a real good assessment.

I replace my Apexi filter every 2 years regardless. Yes, it's 2x expensive, but if you mine through all the comments in this forum regarding pop-chargers, you'll see Apexi at the top of the list.

However, if you drive off-pavement regularly, get a filter you can clean.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
M1RAG3 wrote up a real good assessment.

I replace my Apexi filter every 2 years regardless. Yes, it's 2x expensive, but if you mine through all the comments in this forum regarding pop-chargers, you'll see Apexi at the top of the list.

However, if you drive off-pavement regularly, get a filter you can clean.
I agree, that was phenomenal. You dont see detail like that these day thanks M1RAG3! I dont do much offroad driving but i do ALOT of driving
Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 PM

I have a BERK short ram and I have run both the AEM Dryflow and the Apexi "power" filter.

IMO:
AEM (+)
(-)

Apexi (+)
-The apexi has smaller length dimensions than the AEM meaning it takes up less space in your engine bay
(-)
-not durable at all...it is not ever supposed to get wet and there is no real way to clean it other than using a high pressure air hose.
-high pricing (~$80)

If you have $$$$ to burn get the Apexi and you willl NOT be disappointed...if you are on a budget and want a great filter get the AEM dryflow...IMO the Apexi is priced about 2 times as much as the AEM but it is NOT 2 times as good so that is why I went with the AEM when I was replacing my fiter last summer.

Thank you. And yea I mean the reason i made this thread is cuz im upgrading to the Berk Intake from having just a cone filter on the Oem intake and I've been looking at the apex'i filters in general for some time but its $30 more than the AEM on Berk's Website.

http://www.berktechnology.com/shop/p...story=category

its tough because i love the growl of my intake now and i can only imagine how much better the apex'i would sound like especially now with the berk piping. Maybe i'll go apex'i now and see what works out since is just a $30 difference

what color is the AEM? and how does it sound?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:05 PM

The AEM is a grey color and not as loud as other intakes my stillen K&N was louder than the AEM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM

IMO:
AEM (+)
(-)

Apexi (+)
(-)
-high pricing (~$80)

Great review! I was not sure do purchase the APEXI but this definitely helped out. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM

to the sound..the deep sucking low growl it makes is awsome.. mine is off currently and the airbox is back on..long story.. but when it goes back on i need to buy a new filter.. and i will be getting another apexi..if that pushes your decision along at all...
Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 PM

I'm going Apex'i. i don't mind spending the extra dime for something i know i'm not gonna have any issues with. I just feel i wont be happy for some reason with AEM.
thanks for the help guys. much appreciated
Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 PM

I've tried several different filter which were all washable...I just can't understand buying a non cleanable air filter for $80 that you're gonna throw away...That's one of the reasons I went with a washble air filter anyway...to stop throw my money away! I'll find out the whp difference between some of these as soon as it gets cool! Presently using an AEM with a MAF adapter...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Toolie

Originally Posted by cmd26
The AEM is a grey color and not as loud as other intakes my stillen K&N was louder than the AEM.

They can be gray or white. There is a disclaimer in the package to notify you of this. One thing everyone so far has forgot to mention is the AEM is hydrophobic...
Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Apexi filter for $58.65. Pretty good deal, I think:

http://jdmultimate.com/apexiintegrat...1/i-35826.aspx
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Apexi filter for $58.65. Pretty good deal, I think:

http://jdmultimate.com/apexiintegrat...1/i-35826.aspx

yea but to my knowlegde its needs an adapter which is at least $30
Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I've tried several different filter which were all washable...I just can't understand buying a non cleanable air filter for $80 that you're gonna throw away...That's one of the reasons I went with a washble air filter anyway...to stop throw my money away! I'll find out the whp difference between some of these as soon as it gets cool! Presently using an AEM with a MAF adapter...
i agree its not worth it..but if someone is buyin a berk short ram intake theres only a $30 difference (AEM or Apex'i)
Old 09-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by tooreckless00
yea but to my knowlegde its needs an adapter which is at least $30
Contact the retailer. If I remember correctly, it came with the adapter plate.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Contact the retailer. If I remember correctly, it came with the adapter plate.
No it doesn't not with a replacement filter... but only with the complete Berk intake system! Or purshase separate!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:07 PM

No it doesn't not with a replacement filter... but only with the complete Berk intake system! Or purshase separate!
Yeah, you're right. That price doesn't include the adapter bracket.

Oops.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Got an idea with a 6" velocity stack/bellmouth like the JWT except it has a 3" tube outlet, instead of the the JWT MaF bolt pattern! Attached to the existing setup it should increase the flow velocity into the cylinder thus increasing torque/hp. Found an AEM 6" velocity stack dry flow to fit...this should allow the air to be even straighter than the JWT since now the MAF will be about 6-8" downstream from the bellmouth! Took some mock measurement and I should be able to fit this with a few small adjustments.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Toolie

Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Toolie

Got an idea with a 6" velocity stack/bellmouth like the JWT except it has a 3" tube outlet, instead of the the JWT MaF bolt pattern! Attached to the existing setup it should increase the flow velocity into the cylinder thus increasing torque/hp. Found an AEM 6" velocity stack dry flow to fit...this should allow the air to be even straighter than the JWT since now the MAF will be about 6-8" downstream from the bellmouth! Took some mock measurement and I should be able to fit this with a few small adjustments.
if you use a berk it will be pretty tight in there, ghost_54 has done the same thing and I made him a 4" long midpipe to compensate as the 7" pipe is a bit too long.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
if you use a berk it will be pretty tight in there, ghost_54 has done the same thing and I made him a 4" long midpipe to compensate as the 7" pipe is a bit too long.
I'm using the Oem resonator section with a shorter silicon sleeve between it and the IM and the MAF housing> adapter>bellmouth>filter....It should fit even with this setup I'm running now....
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...tures016-2.jpg[/IMG]
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...tures012-3.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by CMax03; 09-13-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM

As knight_yyz stated the original mid pipe was just fine until I added the BPI velocity stack and had to move up to larger 6" AEM dry flow filter ...In the first picture I have the full sized mid pipe with the velocity stack and larger filter, what you can not see in the picture is that close to 3 1/2" of the mid pipe is jammed into the rubber coupler at the TB, so the mid pipe is actually making contact with the TB. And the filter is very tight up against the cars front quarter panel

The New 4" long mid pipe that knight_yyz has made up for me is so much more functional, there is only a small bit of pipe now in the rubber coupler to the TB allowing for full flexibility at that end and with the shortened length the velocity stack and over sized filter still have room and are not all jammed up against the cars quarter panel ... the deep rich tone and growl have once again been restored as the air flow is now far Superior now that the piping is no longer jammed up inside the coupler against the TB.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:11 PM

anybody have a berk with pics?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by tooreckless00
anybody have a berk with pics?
I have the old Frankencar Intake, which I believe is identical to the Berk. It's the silver section in the middle.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Toolie

I'm using the Oem resonator section with a shorter silicon sleeve between it and the IM and the MAF housing> adapter>bellmouth>filter....It should fit even with this setup I'm running now....
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...tures016-2.jpg[/IMG]
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/p...tures012-3.jpg[/IMG]
Then you are sort of defeating the purpose. Why have the resonator on there to slow the airflow and make it quieter?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Then you are sort of defeating the purpose. Why have the resonator on there to slow the airflow and make it quieter?
Yeah, I don't get that either. I mean, no offense, but I don't understand why you wouldn't want the short ram to be as unimpeded as possible. Along that line of thought, I don't understand the accordion tubing on the intake in Ghost's engine.

On a side, it's nice to see a picture of the nismo oil cap in the engine bay. I've been wondering how that would look. And always nice to see the old Cattman Ti-bar.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-13-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 PM

the accordion tubing/coupler is the only part of the original air intake setup ... I guess one could swap it for a silicone coupler to make the attachment to the TB, but all your doing really is swapping a rubber coupler for a silicone one that will only serve the same purpose, not to mention add another 20.00 bucks to the over all cost of the Short Ram.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
the accordion tubing/coupler is the only part of the original air intake setup ... I guess one could swap it for a silicone coupler to make the attachment to the TB, but all your doing really is swapping a rubber coupler for a silicone one that will only serve the same purpose, not to mention add another 20.00 bucks to the over all cost of the Short Ram.
The flex(accordion section) is about 5" in lenght, I've got my 3 couplings from the Injen air intake that will serve, that purpose money spent already but put to use! The 6" AEM filter is actually shorter than the one I'm using now. So I'm sure it will fit I did a mock up from all the info gathered regarding bellmouth lenght and filter lenght. The bellmouth is only about 2.5" long. I'll order the bellmouth this week and I should have everything by this coming weekend....
Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 PM

That's right, I forgot about that piece.

I think I'd replace it anyway. One of the design aspects of the Apexi filter is the inverse cone inside the filter. They make a big deal about the mechanics of airflow, or at least, that's part of their marketing. So if there's anything real to that concept, having the air pass over that accordion tubing doesn't seem optimal for air-speed, but probably has something to do with noise reduction.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:12 PM

I may look into changing the accordion tubing with a proper silicone coupler in the future but for now it works ... I like the bracket you have right at the adapter and connected to the top of the strut tower was that a part that came with your unit or did you fashion it your self?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:31 PM

i have the apexi filter in my car and i love it. the sound it AMAZING at higher rpm's
Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Toolie

I "designed" and built the short ram that is in Ghost's car. The reason I left the accordion piece in there was for flexibility and to lower the cost of the kit. Now that he has the urethane engine mounts the accordion piece isn't really necessary.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 AM

I may look into changing the accordion tubing with a proper silicone coupler in the future but for now it works ... I like the bracket you have right at the adapter and connected to the top of the strut tower was that a part that came with your unit or did you fashion it your self?
Hi Ghost. That twisted little aluminum bar/bracket came with the old Frankencar kit. I don't know how the set-up would work otherwise... something has to hold it in place.

I'm sure you could make one. And I think the bolt is the ubiquitous 9M found all over the car.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 PM

I figured I could make up the small bracket was just interested if it came with yours or not ... as for bolts I have all the original ones from the stock air box so finding one is not a problem, I do like the way it holds the unit up instead of possibly flopping around inside.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:20 PM

I figured I could make up the small bracket was just interested if it came with yours or not ... as for bolts I have all the original ones from the stock air box so finding one is not a problem, I do like the way it holds the unit up instead of possibly flopping around inside.
Yep, the little bracket makes it completely fixed and sturdy. No flex what-so-ever. Now that you mention it, I'm looking at the other pictures here and wondering what's keeping the intake in place.

Frankencar made a real nice kit. A decent exhaust too, it seemed. Too bad their business sense wasn't as well developed.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Toolie

i'm working on a prototype Jim, should have something in a few days
Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM

I've got headers and had a Injen intake on but removed it due to it being designed for low and mid-range power not top end power! The resonator does quiet down the intake slightly but it still flows better than the injen does in conjunction with the the headers. I believe the resonator has a two fold purpose...quiets intake charge and sets it to some sort of frequency that does increase airflow without enhancing turbulence during high flow. You know the Berk really makes more noise than power. What's your peak whp gain and your largest thru the powerband! It's rumor to gain about 5 whp, and about 3-5 whp for the JWT popcharger assembly. Hopefully the bellmouth setup I'm looking at, adds just a little more growl and increases my torque a little bit more as well.
I must tell you Knight_yyz that's a nice Maf housing you've got there! Is it installed yet and is it installed with the bellmouth or just the regular hi flow filter? Ghost's setup is way longer than mine....Your bellmouth is plastic and it only looks smaller than 6", Knight_yyz..... the one I'm gonna use is Aluminum! My opinion on my setup is during cruisin in traffic @ part throttle should still be rather quiet with some xtra ughhhh!

Last edited by CMax03; 09-14-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: AEM vs. Apex'i Dry Filters