5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I recommend this
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
i will resort to name calling whenever the F i want, especially if some dude thinks he's hilarious by being condescending. sarcastic comments and "LOLing" at things not funny doesn't make you Mr. Angel does it.

Sure its shops not wanting to take liability, but then again it's almost common sense. When you are pushing all that crap around, its bound to cause some problems. Thats why most recommend if you've never flushed before, after a certain critical point, don't flush. i've already found sources to back up that assertion, so if you don't wanna bite, you're more stubborn than a republican trying to learn natural selection.

Here's an analogy: cars that have a leaking oil problem leak MORE oil once you add synthetic to it. Why? The synthetic oil works so well it actually cleans up the clogs that have prevented the leak problem from getting bad. If you are aware of the recommendations, then so be it. Don't advise a dude to flush his tranny for the first time at 100k and then to have his tranny ruined 500 miles later for your crap advice.

My advice to the guy who had his tranny last serviced at 41k and wants to know if its safe to flush his machine: its impossible to know. My advice? Do a drain and fil. Thats my advice. If you don't wanna follow it, fine. If you wanna flush it, fine. Why do i suggest a drain/fill? nobody has reported a tranny failure from a partial drain/fill Has anyone ever reported a tranny failure from a machine flush? you bet

Want to give a free tranny replacement if anything goes wrong guarantee on that??
That's what i thought.
2 good points here….
#1 atf has a high amount of detergent thus eating away any carbons that build up and any parasite particles. Now here is the but, it will not eat up any o rings or any thing else designed to be in that fluid. Thus did the tranny that got flushed have a problem to begin with?

#2 Did the tranny have a problem to begin with or was to much pressure applied when the flush occurred that caused a problem? That depends on the operator.

I do know in jet engines that we do not flush the oil. It is for the most part a lubricant as well as a detergent.

Your call, make it a right one. Personally I would go with the drain, not the flush. And hey have a great max day……..

the fish
USAF RES - the Col will know what that is
Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM

I tried searching around but had no luck. What's more preferred? Mobil 1 Synthetic or Royal Purple Synthetic?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by zidave
I tried searching around but had no luck. What's more preferred? Mobil 1 Synthetic or Royal Purple Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is used basically by most Maxima.org members... you can go a more expensive way with Royal purple.... your call
Old 09-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Ok cool. Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM

i did the return line off, flush. i didn't drop the pan, just drained out the old, put in new and drained/filled 2 qts at a time.
I bought the car at a dealership in '05 with 64,xxx miles. i changed the fluid at 98,xxx miles about 3 months ago. the old fluid was pretty dark but didn't smell bad. i poured in 12 qts of castrol multi vehicle import atf (who knows how much new stuff came out during the change process). now with 103,xxx miles the fluid is nice and red and the tranny shifts as smooth as buttah.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Mobil 1 is used basically by most Maxima.org members... you can go a more expensive way with Royal purple.... your call
I like Mobil 1.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Ok one last question I promise. Buddy of mine mentioned to make sure there won't be any problems with the old ATF fluid that's in my tranny mixing with the new ATF I put in when I drain/refill. Think there would be any problems?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by zidave
Ok one last question I promise. Buddy of mine mentioned to make sure there won't be any problems with the old ATF fluid that's in my tranny mixing with the new ATF I put in when I drain/refill. Think there would be any problems?
No. Mobil 1 is compatible with any ATF fluid out there (for the most part except CVT trannys). Dont' worry about it.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 PM

Sweet, thanks again
Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 AM

I'm at 120k, and not sure if the tranny was ever serviced and I want to know if I should use synthetic, and what the benefit is. BTW, my atf looks light pink and doesn't smell burned.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 AM

For all what its worth.. I have an 01 GLE that just turned 180K. Every 10-15K miles I do a drain and fill of about 3 quarts using just the cheap DexIII and even today the trans runs fine. Runs me about 10 bucks so I dont mind doing it frequently.

I will be posting soon as I plan to drop the pan and clean the magnets and screen for the first time next month!

Once u are over a 100K miles and the trans has NOT been serviced regularly, be safe... just do the drain and fill or the method where you undo the cooler line.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM

I've always heard to NEVER flush a high milage one. 60K, flush I would thing is OK. I do them every 50 or so on all autos and have never had a failure. (yet)
Old 09-25-2009, 10:22 AM

I'm at 120k, and not sure if the tranny was ever serviced and I want to know if I should use synthetic, and what the benefit is. BTW, my atf looks light pink and doesn't smell burned.
if its pink, and its light, and it doesn't smell burned, you're safe. check again in 6 months and see if the color changes. if it gets darker, do drain/fill.

Once u are over a 100K miles and the trans has NOT been serviced regularly, be safe... just do the drain and fill or the method where you undo the cooler line.
Good Advice. Im too lazy to do the cooler line method so i just drain/fill every 12 months to keep a flow of new fluid in there. i know its wasteful but whatever.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 PM

i will resort to name calling whenever the F i want
I hope enough folks find your statement unacceptable enough to click on that 'report post' triangle in the lower left.

Sure its shops not wanting to take liability, but then again it's almost common sense. When you are pushing all that crap around, its bound to cause some problems. Thats why most recommend if you've never flushed before, after a certain critical point, don't flush. i've already found sources to back up that assertion, so if you don't wanna bite, you're more stubborn than a republican trying to learn natural selection.
Critical point? What critical point? Nothing magical occurs at 100K if that's what you mean. But I DO agree with you on me being a stubborn republican <LOL!>!

Here's an analogy: cars that have a leaking oil problem leak MORE oil once you add synthetic to it. Why? The synthetic oil works so well it actually cleans up the clogs that have prevented the leak problem from getting bad. If you are aware of the recommendations, then so be it. Don't advise a dude to flush his tranny for the first time at 100k and then to have his tranny ruined 500 miles later for your crap advice.
You bet I'm aware and I have already posted my opinion. I have my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

My advice to the guy who had his tranny last serviced at 41k and wants to know if its safe to flush his machine: its impossible to know. My advice? Do a drain and fil. Thats my advice. If you don't wanna follow it, fine. If you wanna flush it, fine. Why do i suggest a drain/fill? nobody has reported a tranny failure from a partial drain/fill Has anyone ever reported a tranny failure from a machine flush? you bet
Now YOU'RE the one being stubborn!! 41K?!? Come on man, this is NOWHERE NEAR your so called 'critical point'! Unless the car spends a lot of time near the red line that tranny is a virgin!

Want to give a free tranny replacement if anything goes wrong guarantee on that??
That's what i thought.
Tell you what .... I WILL back his tranny to 120K miles if he does a flush now and fill every 30K from here on out (as long as the car is not track driven) as long as YOU back his tranny with a drain and fill at the same interval.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 PM

im just going to ignore you since nobody else has backed you up on your horrible advice and everyone has backed me up.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 AM
2002 maxima se

i flush on every 30k with pennzoil dexron III i guess its a safe way to go.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by OC guy
Yup! That's good advice and that's what I do!
Old 11-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheOldDude
Yup! That's good advice and that's what I do!
Can obtain 12 qts of "Certified's" dexronIII/mercon from Sam's Club for $21**

Has anyone had any experience with this tranny fluid? Approved for Allison C-4, same as Mobil's Synthetic ATF.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by OC guy
Did a drain and fill today with Penzoil and Lucas Transmission Fix (which I used the last time too). When I first bought the car the ATF was nearly black but still smelled like ATF is supposed to, so odds are the transmission hasn't ever been serviced.

I ended up doing 4 drain and refills the first year I had the car, been nearly a year since the last time. Fluid was still pinkish and smelled normal. At 164,000 miles it still seems to shift well, except for the soft/flare 2-3 cold shift (that clears up when the engine warms up). The Lucas additive made a difference last year when I changed ATF and with winter coming up, I decided to add it again with this drain and fill.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

One thing I might add to this. Several years ago my neighbor, who has a 2002 Infiniti, as I do, inquired about a tranny flush at the Infiniti dealership. They told him they didn't recommend a flush, they do drain and fill !! If you do a flush; there are different machines that do this. I've heard some are OK and some are very bad. Too powerful maybe, I'm not sure. Also, heard some real horror stories about people that used Jiffy Lube for a flush.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM

I am kind of intersted in this thread. I just got my 03 max from my inlaws and the only services that they have ever done are oil changes and tires that is about it. It has 70k on it and i havent noticed any trans issues yet, but i ahd planned on doing a "machine" flush since we do them all of the time at work at the Mercedes dealership i work at, and we have had no issues on any transmissions using the BG transmission service kits we carry, and these are the same kits that the local nissan dealership used to use, until they went with another manufacturer. And the shop foreman at the dealer said he has never seen a transmission failing from the ki that i am going to use from work, unless i read different i guess.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

^^^^^I wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Drain and fill, safest way to do it.