5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 Rear Sway Bar Confusion????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 07:48 PM
ABS

2K2 Rear Sway Bar Confusion????

Today I brought the car to the dealer service center for a few small warranty issues. While the car was up on the lift, I got a really good look at the rear axle and control arms. So now I'm really confused. The controls arms are solidly welded onto the rear axle. How will adding a sway bar that connects the two control arms and the rear axle together provide any benefit when the three parts are already welded together and therefore very solidly connected? I used to have sway bars on my Honda so I understand how they are supposed to work . . . I know I must be missing something here . . . any input would be apprecated.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2K2 Rear Sway Bar Confusion????

Originally posted by ABS
Today I brought the car to the dealer service center for a few small warranty issues. While the car was up on the lift, I got a really good look at the rear axle and control arms. So now I'm really confused. The controls arms are solidly welded onto the rear axle. How will adding a sway bar that connects the two control arms and the rear axle together provide any benefit when the three parts are already welded together and therefore very solidly connected? I used to have sway bars on my Honda so I understand how they are supposed to work . . . I know I must be missing something here . . . any input would be apprecated.
The RSB works very well so just leave it at that. I am going to install a RSB on my 02 tomarrow if the weather permits.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by ABS
Actually, the sway bar will tie up the two rear trailer arms and will not be connected to the axle itself.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:43 PM
ABS

Re: Re: 2K2 Rear Sway Bar Confusion????

Originally posted by Michael98033

Actually, the sway bar will tie up the two rear trailer arms and will not be connected to the axle itself.
Michael98033,

I think that is only true for the Stillen bar, it looks like the Addco connects to the dead axle with two large U-shaped brackets and two coinciding polyeurethane bushings.

I still don't get it though. On my old Civic, the sway bar made perfect sense in that it connected two independantly moving lower control arms. It also worked really well. On the Maxima, it would appear that the trailing arms already have an "anti-sway bar" attached - in the form of a dead axle welded to each of them. Please help me to understand what this sway bar is doing. I just can't seem to make any sense of it . . . am I missing something here?
Old 11-30-2001, 03:38 AM

The existing beam axle welded to the trailing arms acts as a sway bar by resisting twist. You could increase roll resistance by stiffening that beam but that is a little difficult so the aftermarket swaybars work in parallel with that beam, tying the trailing arms together and adding twist resistance.

wdave
Old 11-30-2001, 04:36 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by emax95

The RSB works very well so just leave it at that. I am going to install a RSB on my 02 tomarrow if the weather permits.
have fun it aint easy. make sure you watch out for that new multilink. it has to be way up or it clanks BAD. ask MattC. took me 1.5 hours to fix it.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:32 PM
ABS

Must be a Torsion Bar

Ok I was talking with a car buff at work and we think we've figured it out . . . the trailing arms are connected to a "torsion bar" which is located in the center of the rear beam axle. When an anti-sway bar is added, it must act like a second torsion bar, thereby creating much more "torsion" in the entire rear suspension. I think the torsion bar is the 1" wide bar running through the center of the rear beam and is visible from below the car. Can anyone verify that this is true?
Old 11-30-2001, 03:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Rear Sway Bar Confusion????

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

have fun it aint easy. make sure you watch out for that new multilink. it has to be way up or it clanks BAD. ask MattC. took me 1.5 hours to fix it.
Care to elaborate?? stillen or addco RSB??
Old 11-30-2001, 03:52 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2K2 Rear Sway Bar Confusion????

Originally posted by Flash2k2

Care to elaborate?? stillen or addco RSB??
it was my stillen RSB off my 95 which is supposed to fit all 95 AND up maximas. well i put it originally where it fit easily but the rear link clanked around corners. so i had to disassemble the whole thing and move the line that normally goes under the brackets to the outside and it BARELY fit and well it was a pain. but now it's up farther and doesn't clank.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:43 PM

Re: Must be a Torsion Bar

Originally posted by ABS
Ok I was talking with a car buff at work and we think we've figured it out . . . the trailing arms are connected to a "torsion bar" which is located in the center of the rear beam axle. When an anti-sway bar is added, it must act like a second torsion bar, thereby creating much more "torsion" in the entire rear suspension. I think the torsion bar is the 1" wide bar running through the center of the rear beam and is visible from below the car. Can anyone verify that this is true?
Ok I'll take a crack at it.

I don't think it's a torsion bar. Torsion bars used in suspensions are made to act like the spring. The Max has rear coil springs, so that center bar is not a torsion bar.

Nissan claims to have a rear anti-roll(aka. anti-sway) bar. But in the true sense, it doesn't. Nissan would like to claim that it's 'integrated' into the rear beam design, which it is.

As you stated before, the car has two trailing links that are welded to the beam. If removed from the car, it would look like your standard sway bar, and it acts like one.

So now we're left 2 possibilities as to why adding an aftermarket sway bar would make any difference if the rear beam is essentially one big-*** sway bar. Either the trailing arms are flexing or the center beam is twisting.

The trailing arms are really thin in cross section, but are tall in the vertical plane. While it is possible that they could flex, I doubt that the flex would be much since the arms are relatively short.

The center beam is triangulated in shape, but the bottom is open. My guess is that this beam is the culprit. The open bottom allows the beam to twist (perhaps too easily??) so that during cornering, the center twisting allows one trailing arm mounting point to be higher than the other.

To minimize the twisting forces in the beam, you can do one of 2 things, add an aftermarket sway bar or weld steel plate to the entire underside of the beam, thus fully triangulating the beam. I think it would be cheaper and easier to add the bar.

Any other guesses out there?
Old 11-30-2001, 09:24 PM
ABS

Re: Re: Must be a Torsion Bar

Originally posted by mhgsx

I don't think it's a torsion bar. Torsion bars used in suspensions are made to act like the spring. The Max has rear coil springs, so that center bar is not a torsion bar.

Nissan claims to have a rear anti-roll(aka. anti-sway) bar. But in the true sense, it doesn't. Nissan would like to claim that it's 'integrated' into the rear beam design, which it is.

As you stated before, the car has two trailing links that are welded to the beam. If removed from the car, it would look like your standard sway bar, and it acts like one.

So now we're left 2 possibilities as to why adding an aftermarket sway bar would make any difference if the rear beam is essentially one big-*** sway bar. Either the trailing arms are flexing or the center beam is twisting.

The trailing arms are really thin in cross section, but are tall in the vertical plane. While it is possible that they could flex, I doubt that the flex would be much since the arms are relatively short.

The center beam is triangulated in shape, but the bottom is open. My guess is that this beam is the culprit. The open bottom allows the beam to twist (perhaps too easily??) so that during cornering, the center twisting allows one trailing arm mounting point to be higher than the other.

To minimize the twisting forces in the beam, you can do one of 2 things, add an aftermarket sway bar or weld steel plate to the entire underside of the beam, thus fully triangulating the beam. I think it would be cheaper and easier to add the bar.

I think you are definitely onto something here. But now the question remains, which part of the axle is resisting the twist, is it the part which is arc'd or is it the straight steel bar running through the center of the arc (when viewed from below)?

Also, the Stillen bar doesn't appear to mount onto the beam whereas the Addco bar does. If you are right and it is the beam that's twisting, then what difference in performance should we expect to see for each of these mounting methods for the two bars?
Old 12-01-2001, 05:55 AM

Re: Must be a Torsion Bar

Originally posted by ABS
The whole assembly, tube and u channel together, forms a torsion bar which resists twist. A RSB is another torsion bar that increases that resistance.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:56 AM

Re: Re: Must be a Torsion Bar

Originally posted by mhgsx

That's what I said - in two sentences.

wdave
Old 12-01-2001, 06:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Must be a Torsion Bar

Originally posted by ABS

I think you are definitely onto something here. But now the question remains, which part of the axle is resisting the twist, is it the part which is arc'd or is it the straight steel bar running through the center of the arc (when viewed from below)?

Also, the Stillen bar doesn't appear to mount onto the beam whereas the Addco bar does. If you are right and it is the beam that's twisting, then what difference in performance should we expect to see for each of these mounting methods for the two bars?
q1 - both together - the tube just makes the u channel a little stiffer.
q2 - the only real difference is the look and any difference in diameter - functionally the Addco and Stealin work the same.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:31 AM

The rear sway bar and the existing bar in the rear axle ARE torsion bars. A torsion bar is any suspension bar that acts through resistance to twist in order to control some kind of mechanical motion. Every sway bar works that way and thus resists the motion of one trailing arm when it varies from the motion of the other.

When a torsion bar is run forward and backward and used to control the motion of a suspension control arm, then it is acting as a spring. This can be seen in some Porsche and Alfa Romeo designs. A torsion bar can do any number of things (even hold a hood up) it is simply a bar in twist.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:22 PM
ABS

Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

I'm glad we figured all this information out. Now that I'm understanding the mechanism better, I have a few new but related questions:

Both the Stillen and Addco bars are adjustable, but does any one know which bar is stiffer to begin with (i.e. more torsion)?

Also, which bar is the most adjustable in terms of both the least and the most oversteer benefit?

Does the fact that the Addco bar needs to have its dead axle mounts moved inward (towards the center of the axle) impact its performance in any significant way?

All of these considerations might be important if careful adjustment of the bar is desired by the driver to avoid excessive oversteer.
Old 12-01-2001, 05:50 PM
BuddyWh

Check out the following link:

http://www.se-r.net/about/g20/scc/oct98/tb.html

The article is about the G20, and written in 1998, but it is our multi-link rear beam all the same (except the transverse link has been moved aft of the beam). Describes pretty well how it works. It's pretty hard for me to grasp, but it appears to me that the Stillen and the Addco sway bars work basically by adding it's stiffness to that of the torsion bar already their.

BuddyWh

Originally posted by ABS

Old 12-01-2001, 06:43 PM
ABS

Originally posted by BuddyWh
Check out the following link:

http://www.se-r.net/about/g20/scc/oct98/tb.html

The article is about the G20, and written in 1998, but it is our multi-link rear beam all the same (except the transverse link has been moved aft of the beam). Describes pretty well how it works. It's pretty hard for me to grasp, but it appears to me that the Stillen and the Addco sway bars work basically by adding it's stiffness to that of the torsion bar already their.

BuddyWh

This is a terrific article. The author does an excellent job of explaining the design of the multi-link rear beam suspension on the Maxima as well as it's benefits and some of the history of the design. Thanks for posting this info.
Old 12-02-2001, 04:46 AM

Re: Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

Originally posted by ABS
I'm glad we figured all this information out. Now that I'm understanding the mechanism better, I have a few new but related questions:

Both the Stillen and Addco bars are adjustable, but does any one know which bar is stiffer to begin with (i.e. more torsion)?

Also, which bar is the most adjustable in terms of both the least and the most oversteer benefit?

Does the fact that the Addco bar needs to have its dead axle mounts moved inward (towards the center of the axle) impact its performance in any significant way?

All of these considerations might be important if careful adjustment of the bar is desired by the driver to avoid excessive oversteer.
Don't worry - neither bar will give "excessive oversteer" no matter how it's adjusted. You just get less understeer. Moving the mounts of the Addco toward the center will soften it slightly. The forward mounts provide some adjustment but less than it appears because of brackets etc. on the trailing arms. The Stealin is designed to be adjustable but it seems everyone is happiest with it in it's stiffest position.
Old 07-20-2002, 10:53 PM

I've certainly learned a lot about how the rear suspension on my Maxima works from this thread. The BIG question I have is: is the add-on rear sway bar worth installing?

I installed a FSTB but don't feel that it made a huge difference in the handling. I'd like to hear from people who have the aftermarket RSB installed.

Thanks,
Slo-Ryde
Old 07-20-2002, 10:58 PM
BuddyWh

You'll get as many opinions as respondants... for me the RSB was definitely worth it. I have noticed and appreciate it's contribution to the handling of the Max.

BuddyWh

Originally posted by slo-ryde
I've certainly learned a lot about how the rear suspension on my Maxima works from this thread. The BIG question I have is: is the add-on rear sway bar worth installing?

Old 07-20-2002, 11:38 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

Originally posted by wdave

Don't worry - neither bar will give "excessive oversteer" no matter how it's adjusted. You just get less understeer. Moving the mounts of the Addco toward the center will soften it slightly. The forward mounts provide some adjustment but less than it appears because of brackets etc. on the trailing arms. The Stealin is designed to be adjustable but it seems everyone is happiest with it in it's stiffest position.
Umm... stiffening the back of the car actually gives you more understeer (aka less oversteer). Stiffening the front of the car gives you more oversteer (aka less understeer).
My car has a slight under steer problem now that I have installed the Addco RSB. Is hould ahve just left welle ough alone afetr I did the srpings. Now i'll need to *** the FSTB to stiffen the front.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

Originally posted by SR20DEN

Umm... stiffening the back of the car actually gives you more understeer (aka less oversteer). Stiffening the front of the car gives you more oversteer (aka less understeer).
My car has a slight under steer problem now that I have installed the Addco RSB. Is hould ahve just left welle ough alone afetr I did the srpings. Now i'll need to *** the FSTB to stiffen the front.
You have it quite backwards. You should go to Addco's site where thay have an explanation of what under and oversteer are and how various changes to the car will affect them.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:59 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

You have it quite backwards. You should go to Addco's site where thay have an explanation of what under and oversteer are and how various changes to the car will affect them.
I know what the difference is. Adding a RSB is supposed to reduce the torsional grip of the rear tires and reduce body roll at the same time. It's the body roll that casues most of the problems. The 4th gen cars had alot of rear body roll. A quick snap of the steering wheel and the tail of the car would pop out. It's that same weight transfer that I was referring to as being oversteer.

http://www.rqriley.com/suspensn.html
Old 07-21-2002, 01:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

Originally posted by SR20DEN

I know what the difference is. Adding a RSB is supposed to reduce the torsional grip of the rear tires and reduce body roll at the same time. It's the body roll that casues most of the problems. The 4th gen cars had alot of rear body roll. A quick snap of the steering wheel and the tail of the car would pop out. It's that same weight transfer that I was referring to as being oversteer.

http://www.rqriley.com/suspensn.html
Read the article again. Tires don't have torsional grip. Also, the rear of the car can only have more roll than the front if there's a hinge in the middle. A quick snap (jerk) of the steering wheel is something a jerk does. The rear suspension of the Max does not have camber change with roll. If you have managed to get your Max to oversteer on a smooth surface it is most likely because you have compressed the outer rear suspension onto the bump stop giving instantaneous very high spring rate at that corner and the rear swaybar should help with that unless your suspension is totally out to lunch.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:46 PM
ABS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

WDAVE has it right, stiffening the rear adds oversteer up front where as stiffening the front adds understeer . . .

Adding the RSB or adding stiffer springs, or even adding stiffer struts/shocks in the rear, should help induce more oversteer. You could also pull out the FSB (front sway bar) and you would get more oversteer . . .
Old 07-22-2002, 05:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stillen or Addco = More Torsion

Originally posted by ABS

WDAVE has it right, stiffening the rear adds oversteer up front where as stiffening the front adds understeer . . .

Adding the RSB or adding stiffer springs, or even adding stiffer struts/shocks in the rear, should help induce more oversteer. You could also pull out the FSB (front sway bar) and you would get more oversteer . . .
Yeah, you've got it right. On the Prelude Type SH (rest in peace.. ), the SH model with its ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System....quasi-limited slip) actually had a smaller front sway bar than the non-ATTS base model. The reason, to reduce understeer and allow the ATTS to essentially 'pull' the car around. It was one of the few front drivers that could actually oversteer at will. Try taking the front sway bar off any car....oversteer city.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:48 PM

Old 07-22-2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by slo-ryde
I'd like to hear from people who have the aftermarket RSB installed.

Thanks,
Slo-Ryde
Only speaking for myself, I have the ADDCO RSB and am very impressed with the change in handling of the car. Previous to the RSB installation, when cornering I always felt the car move out over the rear wheels, due to the action of centripital force (look it up you physics majors) on the car. But, the addition of the bar keeps the suspension assembly more rigid and reduces that body movement. The effect of understeer is minimized greatly, giving me more confidence as to how hard I can push the car in a curve. Reminds me of a four-wheel independent strut suspension, but with a smoother ride.

Buzz
Old 07-22-2002, 07:48 PM
The Definitive AE Master

yea, with the rsb installed on my car I can take high speed turns much faster and I feel safe and balanced through out the turn without feeling the back of my car is going to slide outwards.

I used to squeel my tires whenever I took a sharp right at intersections, but not anymore with my fstb and rsb. On a avg, I can go on an average of 15-25 mph faster on freeway on/off ramps. Of course this all depends on the driver, things installed, and such.. but that's just for me.