5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein SS Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 AM

Question for the guys using them - Tein SS Coilovers

I picked up a 2003 6-spd Maxima SE a few weeks ago and love the car except the suspension is absolutely horrible. I'm nervous taking that thing over 70mph. I previously had a 1997 Maxima SE with a KYB AGX/Sprint Springs setup and at the time I loved it. Now, I'm looking for a setup that offers a comfortable/stock ride, gives me my choice of ride heights, and handles like my 2005 G35 coupe.

I'm completely uneducated on coilovers and have been searching the forums for more information. The only thing I can really find are that people really like the Tein SS Coilovers...

What I want to know is:

1.) Do the Tein SS coilovers offer a comfortable ride? I have a wife and baby that like a smooth, not jarring ride. Will they be happy with the Tein SS?

2.) Can you adjust ride height from a stock height to slammed and everything in between? How hard is it to adjust the ride height?

2.) How reliable are these (i.e. life expectancy in North Carolina)?

3.) I'm assuming that I already know the answer to this question but how does the car handle in comparison to a kyb agx/sprint spring setup?

4.) If installed correctly, will I hear any crunching, creeks or rattles if I hit a bump?

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by perfectmax; 09-19-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: kby
Old 09-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you will not get a better aftermarket suspension that Tein SS's.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Toolie

With the tein SS setup you can spend the extra bucks and buy the EDFC unit so you can adjust damping force from the comfort of your cabin with the push of a button.

To adjust the height you need to use the wrench and do that manually
Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by vastmax
you will not get a better aftermarket suspension that Tein SS's.
JIC-FLT-TAR or even JIC-FLT-FAS however i must say the tein do offer a great setup... search is a good friend and just know why you want coilovers over spring shock setup as oppose to just doing it because everybody else is
Old 09-19-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by perfectmax
I picked up a 2003 6-spd Maxima SE a few weeks ago and love the car except the suspension is absolutely horrible. I'm nervous taking that thing over 70mph. I previously had a 1997 Maxima SE with a KYB AGX/Sprint Springs setup and at the time I loved it. Now, I'm looking for a setup that offers a comfortable/stock ride, gives me my choice of ride heights, and handles like my 2005 G35 coupe.

I'm completely uneducated on coilovers and have been searching the forums for more information. The only thing I can really find are that people really like the Tein SS Coilovers...

What I want to know is:

1.) Do the Tein SS coilovers offer a comfortable ride? I have a wife and baby that like a smooth, not jarring ride. Will they be happy with the Tein SS?

VERY comfortable ride. You will be more than happy

2.) Can you adjust ride height from a stock height to slammed and everything in between? How hard is it to adjust the ride height?

Yes, all you need is a jack and the wrenches that are included

2.) How reliable are these (i.e. life expectancy in North Carolina)?

VERY. i live in NYC and they have been great thus far. Although I do feel bad for putting such an expensive and quality coilover set through NYC's roads. Breaks my heart

3.) I'm assuming that I already know the answer to this question but how does the car handle in comparison to a kyb agx/sprint spring setup?

Not sure but I can tell you handling is amazing. Very very tight handling.

4.) If installed correctly, will I hear any crunching, creeks or rattles if I hit a bump?

Nope. You get what you pay for. With Tein SS rest assured there will be no out of the ordinary noises.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:09 PM

What PBN85 hasn't disclosed is that he's secretly employed by TEIN. If you search through the forum on Tein coilovers, you'll probably come to the same conclusion.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:33 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Tein >>>> *.*

I have read innumerable threads regarding the crap quality of JICs despite the fact they are of equal or higher price point. Get the SS; you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 PM

jic fla a-1s are garbage. Im on stock suspension cause i blew the 2 front dampers for the SECOND time. both times they blew were after having the car in an HPDE. when i get a job, i will be getting teins without a doubt..

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Tein >>>> *.*

I have read innumerable threads regarding the crap quality of JICs despite the fact they are of equal or higher price point. Get the SS; you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:54 AM

Thanks guys for your thoughts...

Right now I think I've narrowed things down to either the Tein SS or the Boss Chens.

From my understanding the Boss Chens are a little less expensive and are easier to adjust. Money is not a huge issue, I'm really after quality.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...benefit-3.html

Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:34 AM

i have Tein SS on my 03 max and i love it. I also have the EDFC and trust me...it makes a world of a difference. I had the D2 coilover setup on my car and when i compared the two, my Teins were a much smoother ride. it was not stiff or bumpy at all unlike my D2's. when you compare springs even the Teins have a much larger spring setup so you can obviously see the difference and the damper is also larger. BIC are also good...as a few of maxima people i run with have. We all have different setups so this is deffinitly not a biased post due to the fact that i have ridden in most of their cars.

I guess you get what you pay for. im not knocking the D2's since they are also made by K-sports.

happy hunting bro...
Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
jic fla a-1s are garbage. Im on stock suspension cause i blew the 2 front dampers for the SECOND time. both times they blew were after having the car in an HPDE. when i get a job, i will be getting teins without a doubt..
well just because you blew some coilovers dont make the whole brand bad... ask phantomV why he got to try out the D2's... i must say that tein have some good coilovers and i wouldnt say not to get em but i've got those exact same fla a-1's and they are still good and im the second owner... trust me whichever brand coilovers you go with if you drive like you want to blow em, they will go whether its a 650$ setup or a 2100$ setup, period
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
well just because you blew some coilovers dont make the whole brand bad... ask phantomV why he got to try out the D2's... i must say that tein have some good coilovers and i wouldnt say not to get em but i've got those exact same fla a-1's and they are still good and im the second owner... trust me whichever brand coilovers you go with if you drive like you want to blow em, they will go whether its a 650$ setup or a 2100$ setup, period
My SS's rear dampers went bad. So i had to ship them off to get fixed. i am the second owner of my SS's so i don't know what the previous owner did to make them go bad. Tein offers repairs on each damper for almost nothing Which is another reason why i love them. they fixed both rears for under $150 (each) where as a new one is around $400. Some company's just tell you to buy a new setup. im actually getting mine back this week. but in the end, i agree grandhustle, it depends on how you drive your car that will be the determining factor.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 AM

$150 each is a very good price... thats where i give the advantage to tein over JIC ride quality IMO is almost the same... they were my first choice in coilovers when i first bought my 5th gen... if my JIC's go i might actually save up to try the FLT-TAR's the VIP setup... then again i might just try the NEX GT setup... perkman seems to be having fun down in Florida with em (who knows)
Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

where in NC are you??

if u get tein ss, use OEM rubber top mounts thats how u get the comfy ride
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
where in NC are you??

i second that. Makes a world of a difference.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 AM

hmm i might have to try that to lol
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 AM

well the a-1 damper is inferior to the a-2s which are now tars?? and, the problem with a-1s is that they CANNOT be rebuilt, but replaced. and, thats about 700 shipped for the 2 fronts. the suspenion new was around 1100. f them. and the ride on the A-1s was horrible. everytime i saw a bump i cringed, im guessing it was the pillowball mounts that didnt help the ride..

this is the reason i will be getting teins in the future, 150 for a rebuild is very reasonable..

[QUOTE=Phantom-V;7210914 they fixed both rears for under $150 (each) where as a new one is around $400. Some company's just tell you to buy a new setup.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-20-2009, 10:04 AM

man... if speed bumps made you cringed with the A-1's boy do i feel sorry for you with any coilover system you get... your reason for going with tein is most resonable though ($150 per shock is sweet) while i tend to dodge speed bumps/potholes, whichever ones i did hit was most definately bearable... to the OP do your research look at all brands... i've also heard nothing but good of the Boss Chens (which i also wanted) only thing that worries me about Boss Chens is the customer service, i heard its an overseas company... doesnt cattman offer coilovers too???
Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 AM

$150 each is a very good price... thats where i give the advantage to tein over JIC ride quality IMO is almost the same... they were my first choice in coilovers when i first bought my 5th gen... if my JIC's go i might actually save up to try the FLT-TAR's the VIP setup... then again i might just try the NEX GT setup... perkman seems to be having fun down in Florida with em (who knows)
its $75/each, not $150. Their online price chart says $75 and I even confirmed with a rep.

"Hello Rahul,

Please accept our apologies if you did not receive a reply to your original
inquiry. Overhaul and repair services are offered in the US at our
California facility beginning at $75.00 per damper for the Super Street
design.

Base overhaul includes oil & gas re-charge, replacement of the internal
seals, and labor for the repairs. However, the price may increase if
additional damage is present.

Re-valving is only necessary if you are looking to make a change in spring
rate at the time of overhaul that exceeds 2kg from standard spec. If so
desired, please forward items in need of service to the address below along
with the attached product inspection form.

Please note, springs and uppermounts would not need to be included as they
would only add shipping weight and you would avoid any potential disassembly
fees in the process.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at your
convenience.

Best Regards,

TEIN Sales Team"

So basic "refreshing" is $75. If theres anything else broken it could be more but even the other little parts (if broken) wont be that much more.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by pbn85
its $75/each, not $150. Their online price chart says $75 and I even confirmed with a rep.

"Hello Rahul,

Please accept our apologies if you did not receive a reply to your original
inquiry. Overhaul and repair services are offered in the US at our
California facility beginning at $75.00 per damper for the Super Street
design.

Base overhaul includes oil & gas re-charge, replacement of the internal
seals, and labor for the repairs. However, the price may increase if
additional damage is present.

Re-valving is only necessary if you are looking to make a change in spring
rate at the time of overhaul that exceeds 2kg from standard spec. If so
desired, please forward items in need of service to the address below along
with the attached product inspection form.

Please note, springs and uppermounts would not need to be included as they
would only add shipping weight and you would avoid any potential disassembly
fees in the process.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at your
convenience.

Best Regards,

TEIN Sales Team"

So basic "refreshing" is $75. If theres anything else broken it could be more but even the other little parts (if broken) wont be that much more.

Which is correct "refresh 75/". the most one will pay is about $175 for each damper. I only stated the $150 because my damage was more internal than i thought. even with those prices, it is worth it. i was told that and then...they showed me what was wrong...i just said go ahead with the over haul due to the fact that it would still be less than any new suspenion out there.

Make sure that when your choosing your suspension kit, that in the long run it will be worth it and that in the end you will be able to get something out of it if you decided to sell them. plus, like i said before, some companies won't repair so make sure they have some type of agreement. U don't want to buy a whole new set just because of one blown damper.

bro, you are getting a lot of information here...lol
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 AM

$75 per damper is ultimate... now thats for sure a reason to go with tein lol
Old 09-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Sorry Phantom, I misunderstood you. Tein SS FTW!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 AM

Sorry Phantom, I misunderstood you. Tein SS FTW!
no problem bro...Tein FTW indeed !!!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Any specific reason you are looking for coil over vs. shock and strut?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Any specific reason you are looking for coil over vs. shock and strut?
excellent question
Old 09-20-2009, 12:31 PM

excellent question
The reason I'm looking for coilovers is because I have yet to find a stock/spring setup that doesn't look like the rear is sagging. I really like the idea of being able to adjust ride height.

But, I also don't want a jarring ride. With them set on the lowest setting, is the ride somewhat like stock?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT

Can you use the moog upper mounts or are they designed slightly different from the oem ones causing them not to fit?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 PM

The reason I'm looking for coilovers is because I have yet to find a stock/spring setup that doesn't look like the rear is sagging. I really like the idea of being able to adjust ride height.

But, I also don't want a jarring ride. With them set on the lowest setting, is the ride somewhat like stock?
S-techs doesnt sag in the rear... progress doesnt... H-techs dont... Eibachs dont but have fun with your future setup
Old 09-20-2009, 01:00 PM

IMO it appears that the coilover isn't quite what you are looking for. You keep bringing up a good ride, and jarring being a deal breaker. Not saying that the coilover's will necessarily be that way, I think that the strut shock set up what better fit the needs you have explained. With a good selection you won't see sagging in the rear. See my set up in my sig, it never appeared to be lower in the back than the front. The only thing that was noticable, or maybe just optical illusion was the wheel well looked filled up more on the rear. That could be do to the camber difference with the lowered set up.

Again it appears to me from what you described that a shock/strut combo would best suite what you are looking for.

EDIT: BTW it doesn't have to be a coilover for adjustability.

Last edited by J-Rod; 09-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by J-Rod
IMO it appears that the coilover isn't quite what you are looking for. You keep bringing up a good ride, and jarring being a deal breaker. Not saying that the coilover's will necessarily be that way, I think that the strut shock set up what better fit the needs you have explained. With a good selection you won't see sagging in the rear. See my set up in my sig, it never appeared to be lower in the back than the front. The only thing that was noticable, or maybe just optical illusion was the wheel well looked filled up more on the rear. That could be do to the camber difference with the lowered set up.

Again it appears to me from what you described that a shock/strut combo would best suite what you are looking for.

EDIT: BTW it doesn't have to be a coilover for adjustability.

agreed if you are looking for that "close to stock" ride then just go get some Progress or H-techs with illuminas... i dont care what anybody here says about coilovers and whichever brand they bring up... coilovers is not a "close to stock ride" quality
Old 09-20-2009, 02:49 PM

agreed if you are looking for that "close to stock" ride then just go get some Progress or H-techs with illuminas... i dont care what anybody here says about coilovers and whichever brand they bring up... coilovers is not a "close to stock ride" quality
yes they are. MANY members here have sat in my car and ALL of them commented on how comfortable and stock-like the ride is. I cant speak for other coilovers but the tein SS offer a STOCK-LIKE RIDE

I have had H&R with Blues, H&R with illuminas, Htech with illuminas (search my old threads) and those setups cannot compare to the tein SS in terms of comfort-level. I proved everyone wrong who didnt believe my coilovers could offer comfort like this. I actually found my H&Rs w/ illuminas to be rough even at teh softest setting. I dont know why coilovers get a bad rep when comfort is the topic. Maybe the ksports started it.

Im sure there are coilovers that absolutely suck but I can only speak for my teins and the ride is stock-like.

OP, see if you can find a car with tein SS and take a ride in it before you buy.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 PM
You embarrass me.

I second the Tein SS coilovers. I have Eibachs/Illuminas and after riding in a Max with Teins, I'm sold. They are comfortable like stock but with better dampening so there isn't a floaty feeling. Once I find a good deal on them, I'm making the switch myself.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:10 PM

yes they are. MANY members here have sat in my car and ALL of them commented on how comfortable and stock-like the ride is. I cant speak for other coilovers but the tein SS offer a STOCK-LIKE RIDE

I have had H&R with Blues, H&R with illuminas, Htech with illuminas (search my old threads) and those setups cannot compare to the tein SS in terms of comfort-level. I proved everyone wrong who didnt believe my coilovers could offer comfort like this. I actually found my H&Rs w/ illuminas to be rough even at teh softest setting. I dont know why coilovers get a bad rep when comfort is the topic. Maybe the ksports started it.

Im sure there are coilovers that absolutely suck but I can only speak for my teins and the ride is stock-like.

OP, see if you can find a car with tein SS and take a ride in it before you buy.

Thanks for your reply. The "drop" is crutial because I really don't know how low I want to drop it. I may decide to keep it at stock height, I may decide to drop it 1/2" or more. Maybe I'll change it up... Thats what I really like about the coilovers, I have a choice.

Plus, I'm looking for something that feels like the G35 did on the roads. My 2005 G had no body roll, handled amazing and yet the ride was confortable. I'm hoping that the Tein SS can get me almost there...

Last edited by perfectmax; 09-20-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:10 PM

we can agree to disagree, but to the OP goodluck
Old 09-20-2009, 04:02 PM

. I actually found my H&Rs w/ illuminas to be rough even at teh softest setting.
Thank God....I thought it was just me!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 PM

Im sure everyone that owns the Tein SS like myself and PBN85 will agree...there is no going back once you have them. So if you want that stock ride like PBN85 said...you may spend a little more, but you'll enjoy it fully.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Play with my balls

Go Tein SS's or go home......

/thread
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Phantom-V
Im sure everyone that owns the Tein SS like myself and PBN85 will agree...there is no going back once you have them. So if you want that stock ride like PBN85 said...you may spend a little more, but you'll enjoy it fully.
Tein is a great brand to begin. I had the basic damper on my 4th gen and they were used for like 2 years b4 i got them on top of the three years i had them on my car and i loved them. Now that i got the Tein SS on my 5th gen im convinced they are the best choice to go with. Put it like this when u think of coilovers, comfort, and maxima think Tein SS
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Just so damn expensive!!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by a33i30
Just so damn expensive!!
yes they're expensive...but, you get your moneys worth. you can get them repaired for cheap rather than buying new ones. Your ride can look aggressive with out sacrificing comfort. customer service is excellent. simply put, I don't know why not. i mean if you can afford K-sports for around $900, im sure you can save up for another month or 2 for the Tein SS's and make your ride worth it. you can also get the EDFC...who else has this?

Ride in one of the Maxima's with them...you'll see what we all mean.

Quick Reply: Tein SS Coilovers