5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Edmunds Review of Altima - it's a better Maxima for less money

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 06:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Edmunds Review of Altima - it's a better Maxima for less money

Review opens with "How will Nissan be able to sell the Maxima with this all-new Altima sitting right next to it in dealer showrooms?"

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...2/article.html
Old 11-30-2001, 07:10 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I read that article last night. It was really unfair of them to blast the Maxima like that.

You sit in a Maxima and you feel like you're in a luxury car because the interior is awesome, solidly built, and very high quality. But you sit in an Altima and you feel like you're in a damned Pontiac Grand "Damn". Even Edmunds had some complaints on that...

From the Article...
We wish we could report that our test Altima was flawlessly assembled, but that was not the case, at least on the inside. The lower right dash panel was loose and poorly aligned, we found the finish inside the passenger door pull to be chipped, the center console wiggled and waggled quite easily, the front door armrest inserts were unevenly assembled, and we felt that center stack panel fit on the lower passenger side was sloppy. We also detected an irritating rattle in the rear parcel shelf and the front passenger seat squeaked over rough pavement.
I don't even own either car (unbiased) and even * I * can tell how big of a difference in quality there is between the two cars.

If you want a nice, powerful, family sedan (and don't care about the interior at all) then you buy an Altima. But if you want all that and want to feel like you're driving a luxury car too with a high-class interior design and quality, then you buy a Maxima.

Yeah, there's overlap between the two cars, but not understanding "how Nissan could still sell the Maxima" is like saying that you don't understand the difference in interior quality between a Ponticrap and a fine semi-luxury import like the Maxima.

To Edmunds: whatever

Old 11-30-2001, 07:15 AM
Administrator

First of all.. the altima with the same thing is MORE Expensive.. with less things like less HP, HID's, blah blah blah
Old 11-30-2001, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd also take issue with "Plus, the Altima is good looking. The Maxima? Well, not so much."

Maybe it's just me, but the 5th gen Maxima has a certain classiness of appearance to it, one that belies its performance. If nothing else, it has character. The Altima's looks seem to veer wildly between being overdesigned to look sporty and aggressive, looking like a generic mid-size Japanese sedan and looking like a Maxima Lite, depending upon what angle you look at it from.

Then again, I'm the only person on the planet who seems to like the amber turn signals on the 2002 Maxima, so many here would consider my taste to be questionable
Old 12-01-2001, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Yeah, there's overlap between the two cars, but not understanding "how Nissan could still sell the Maxima" is like saying that you don't understand the difference in interior quality between a Ponticrap and a fine semi-luxury import like the Maxima.

or like not understanding the difference in interior quality between a Honduh Im bored (Slowcord) (aka Accord), and a fine import like the Maxima. I've been in a few Accords and damn that interior is just like a Bentley, so you do have room to talk ish
Old 12-01-2001, 05:34 PM

And getting back on topic, I would much rather get the 2k2 Maxima as opposed to the Altima because the exterior looks much better IMO.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by MR2177
or like not understanding the difference in interior quality between a Honduh Im bored (Slowcord) (aka Accord)............

Not even gonna bother...
Old 12-02-2001, 07:05 AM

So SteVTEC, what's so different about the interior between the Altima and the Maxima? You being the authority on,,,well,,everything concerning cars and quality. While you're at it, explain what makes my interior so bad (GTP)?

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but I'd like to hear how you came to this conclusion that "ponticrap" cars have sub-standard interiors (and I don't want to hear "well I/my friend/family member had one 5 years ago and it fell apart"). Blanket statements are for idiots that don't have a clue as to what they're talking about, please don't be one of these idiots. While we're on the subject of cars, what does YOUR Accord run in the 1/4 mile?

I'm just curious as to where you come up with all of your dim witted conclusions. (for example: "Don't be afraid to race GTP/GS owners, they're not the smartest people" or the above statement)

thanks in advance for NOT posting "duhhhh Im naw goonnnna even bother duhhhhh"

-Mr2177

Not even gonna bother...
Old 12-02-2001, 07:19 AM

MR2,

The Pontiac interiors are perfect.
All GTP/GS owners are geniuses.
And the HonDUH Accord V6 is a slow-@ss POS!

Sorry, I didn't realize we had a GTP troll here.

And this thread is about an Edmunds review of the Altima. How the hell does the Accord or GTP come into play here? Anyways, opinions are like @ssholes - everybody has one. I just expressed mine and I stand by it. Sorry if you don't agree. If you'd like to call me out further then take it to PM.

Old 12-02-2001, 07:29 AM
Zam

Not to generalize or discriminate, but not only are the big three known for making subpar interiors GM is probably the worst. I remember sitting in the C5 when it came out. The interior was shameful for a $40k+ car. I, by far, am not the judging authority on car interiors, but isn't it simply understood that American autos have terrible insides?

Until I find an American vehicle that can trump a Bimmer, VW, Merc, Honda, Nissan or Toyota I'll continue to think "chintzy" when I see 'em.

Zam
Old 12-02-2001, 07:52 AM

You didn't answer the question pertaining to the thread or my OT questions, that's fine, your answers tell me what you know, and don't know, I'll restate the question that's part of this topic "what's so different about the interior between the Altima and the Maxima? "

As for the troll comment, well I happen to like Maximas, and my cousin has one so that's why I'm here, I mostly read, but when I come across your comments against PontiCRAP cars (for no apparent reason), it's like finding a splattered bug on your freshly waxed car, it's just the most annoying thing ever. You don't state your thoughts as opinions, you state them as fact, all you do is just assume, that's the problem. And you know what they say about Assuming don't ya? I'd PM ya, but I have a feeling I'd get a string of ROLLEYES and nothing more. Have a nice day

-Mr2177

MR2,

The Pontiac interiors are perfect.
All GTP/GS owners are geniuses.
And the HonDUH Accord V6 is a slow-@ss POS!

Sorry, I didn't realize we had a GTP troll here.

And this thread is about an Edmunds review of the Altima. How the hell does the Accord or GTP come into play here? Anyways, opinions are like @ssholes - everybody has one. I just expressed mine and I stand by it. Sorry if you don't agree. If you'd like to call me out further then take it to PM.

Old 12-02-2001, 08:22 AM

Aight MR2, you asked for it...

I've ridden in a lot of recent and older Grand Am's and Grand Prix's and the interiors have never impressed me. Shiney cheap plastic, things not feeling very solid. Center consoles you can take apart. Rattles and squeaks everywhere, even after only being a few years old. Tiny little buttons that you'd have a damn hard time trying to push over anything but the smallest roads, etc... I used to own a Pontiac too. An '84 6000. You could say "well it was an 84!" but it was still the biggest pile I have EVER owned. After that car, NEVER AGAIN would I ever buy an American car. Sorry...

I looked at a GTP in 01, but a guy I work with told me what he thought. His comments, not mine were:

"Damn, the GTP is one AWESOME car - fast as hell. But damn, those things fall apart like mad right after the warranty runs out. Right after 36k my tranny started slipping like mad, and I never even drove the car that hard, and it wasn't even modified. I got rid of that shia FAST!"

He's driving a Trans Am 6spd now.

When I sat in the Altima (have you sat in an Altima before) I looked at the interior, the fit and finish, the quality of the materials, and it reminded me of a Pontiac. It was not solid, you could make the entire center console / armrest flex and move like it wasn't even bolted down and would come right up, and the dash used cheapy buttons that looked like they were from a $20 walkman design.

If you compare that to an Accord EX or a Maxima, there's simply no comparison. It's a night and day difference. Both cars have solid and high-quality interiors in comparison. Some people care about that, and others don't.

BTW, this is all MY OPINION - not fact. And I jokingly use the term "PoniCRAP" because this is how I feel about the cars IN GENERAL and that's my opinion too.

Many of the Max owners here also jokingly refer to Honda's as "Honduh" and I could take offense to that, but I don't. I think it's funny, and many times even true because there are a lot of retarded HonDUH owners out there...

Sorry if you take offense to the term "Ponticrap". Don't take it so personally. I'm talking about the car and not you and I use the term jokingly. Some people identify too closely with their cars. You can bash the Accord all you want and I won't care. Yeah, it's 1/4 mile times suck in comparison to a GTP, but I didn't get the car for bragging rights, or to beat a GTP.

How bout "PontiACK"
Old 12-02-2001, 08:37 AM

Lincoln LS....

What do you all think of the Lincoln LS interior? I think it's pretty nice!

Originally posted by Zam
Not to generalize or discriminate, but not only are the big three known for making subpar interiors GM is probably the worst. I remember sitting in the C5 when it came out. The interior was shameful for a $40k+ car. I, by far, am not the judging authority on car interiors, but isn't it simply understood that American autos have terrible insides?

Until I find an American vehicle that can trump a Bimmer, VW, Merc, Honda, Nissan or Toyota I'll continue to think "chintzy" when I see 'em.

Zam
Old 12-02-2001, 08:40 AM

How bout "PontiACK"
Agreed, and Thank you. I honestly don't care what people say about my car, but the "They're not the smartest people" comment a while back is what got to me (obviously, since its been a while and I still remember it as if it was yesterday,,ohhh the horror LOL), because IMO it was an attack against me!

As for "PontiACK" uhhh yea especially when you look at the AZteck LOL..My car isn't beautiful (especially the back) but the reason I got it was, when I was getting my Ford Tbird fixed the dealership was kind enough to give me a loaner (years ago). That loaner was a 94' GTP with 114,000 miles or so. I was impressed with the engine more than anything (although the interior wasn't bad either re: squeaks and what not, looked likeass though). My parents owned two pontiacs before (now theyre into Caddy's and what not) but they were great reliable cars. Obviously our experiences were different, but I'm still sold on my Pontiac (PontiACK,PontiCrap ). Later

-MR2177
Old 12-02-2001, 08:48 AM

Don't be offended, I come from a family of Ford lovers and occasionally see myself going back to my redneck roots and defending Fords, LOL. The funny thing is, if they were really built in America and not Canada, Mexico, etc.. I might consider buying one. One thing that I love is the way Ford kicked Ferrari's and everyone elses ***** back in the 60's with their GT40's.

It's all good!

Originally posted by MR2177

Agreed, and Thank you. I honestly don't care what people say about my car, but the "They're not the smartest people" comment a while back is what got to me (obviously, since its been a while and I still remember it as if it was yesterday,,ohhh the horror LOL), because IMO it was an attack against me!

As for "PontiACK" uhhh yea especially when you look at the AZteck LOL..My car isn't beautiful (especially the back) but the reason I got it was, when I was getting my Ford Tbird fixed the dealership was kind enough to give me a loaner (years ago). That loaner was a 94' GTP with 114,000 miles or so. I was impressed with the engine more than anything (although the interior wasn't bad either re: squeaks and what not, looked likeass though). My parents owned two pontiacs before (now theyre into Caddy's and what not) but they were great reliable cars. Obviously our experiences were different, but I'm still sold on my Pontiac (PontiACK,PontiCrap ). Later

-MR2177
Old 12-02-2001, 09:00 AM

redneck roots, LMAO! Right on, thanks GXEme

Originally posted by GXEme
Don't be offended, I come from a family of Ford lovers and occasionally see myself going back to my redneck roots and defending Fords, LOL. The funny thing is, if they were really built in America and not Canada, Mexico, etc.. I might consider buying one. One thing that I love is the way Ford kicked Ferrari's and everyone elses ***** back in the 60's with their GT40's.

It's all good!

Old 12-02-2001, 09:08 AM

MR2 - check your PM for a follow up

BTW, the Aztek is definitely the epitome of "PontiACK"

(what were they thinking?? )

[flame suit]
some people really like it, though...
[/flame suit]
Old 12-02-2001, 09:28 AM

BTW, the Aztek is definitely the epitome of "PontiACK"

(what were they thinking?? )
I hear that. Ugliest damn thing I've ever seen. I saw one just before they came out at an auto show and laughed my butt off. First thing I thought of was, "wow, someone's focus group really missed one there..."
Old 12-02-2001, 09:29 AM

Hehe, I can't believe you guys are keeping all of the controversy out of the forums.... lol!
Hey everyone we have a Honda vs. Pontiac war going on in here!
Old 12-02-2001, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by GXEme
Hey everyone we have a Honda vs. Pontiac war going on in here!
no no...it's HonDUH vs. PontiACK!

MR2 and I made peace, though
Old 12-02-2001, 03:22 PM

Steve, check your PM too

no no...it's HonDUH vs. PontiACK!

MR2 and I made peace, though