5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

People who always take tne OPEN lane..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 10:04 AM

People who always take tne OPEN lane..

venting a bit here..

I get annoyed with people who ALWAYS take the open lane. Two scenario here:

a) see are coming to a stop, and your lane is open. At the last minute someone decides to move into the open lane that you are in instead of staying in their lane behind someone. Fine, except if they are going to drive slow when the light turns. More often than now the guy will drive slowly. I don't mind if the guy/gal drives faster but when they take away my pole position they better not drive like grandma Moses.

b) You are first in line at the light and instead of waiting behind you this person takes the lane beside you. I have had big trucks, vans, slow-mobiles stomping on the gas once the light goes green. I know this because I can hear they car scream for mercy. They know they need to be in my lane (may be it is a merge lane, or they need to
turn one way or the othe soon) but they choose to take the wrong lane, stomp on the gas, and try to pass me.

IT is snowy here and I have not yet broken-in my 2002. Therefore, most of the time I will let people pass me. Good test of tolerance and discipline that's for sure. Comes spring I will let them know what DRIVEN is all about :-)

By the way, I went to check for personalized plates and DRIVEN was taken.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

So you get mad when people take the open lane and go slow and fast? lol.

It's like saying everyone who drives faster than me is an ******* and everyone who drives slower than me is a grandma driver.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
It's like saying everyone who drives faster than me is an ******* and everyone who drives slower than me is a grandma driver.

Well duh...
Old 11-30-2001, 10:20 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: People who always take tne OPEN lane..

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
b) You are first in line at the light and instead of waiting behind you this person takes the lane beside you.
I hate this. I drive fast, and then someone does this, and their lane ends. If I let them pass they end up driving slow and I'm crawling over their bumper at below the limit and get ****ed off so I always put my heavy right foot down when this happens.

I launch normal but the second I hear them going to high-RPM's I nail it while still in 1st gear and blow by them with my intake screaming in their face. If I time it just right I'll whiz by them right when the intake is loudest (peak torque) and it can sometimes scare the shia out of them...esp if their window is down!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:33 AM

I can totally relate. Those two scenerios you are described are totally my pet pieves!

I particularily hate when the second scenerio happens because a minivan feels the need to take the open lane and then shortly after that, a Mustang or something pulls up behind them. The stupid minivan ends up ruining a potentially fun race. Grrr....

I also don't like when people get in front of my when the lanes merge because that always seems to be the time when that stray rock comes flying up to hit my car. And we all now how good the paint is on these Max's.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:50 AM
jjs

How true, how true!!!

And, no, it does not mean anyone going other than my speed is at fault.

If a lane is open and someone moves into it, they damn well better go at least the speed limit (and not take an hour to get up to speed)...just because they can **** life away in traffic or picking various body parts at 35 MPH, not all of us want to.

Faster traffic is just fine! It gets out of the way and if I am travelling above the limit anyway, cool! Instant diversionary traffic to keep the cops occupied!!

Undelining philosophy...if you take an open lane...USE IT THE RIGHT WAY!!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:50 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I hate when I end up behind someone at a light and they are inching up the whole time. They are easing past the line like they are gonna take off. I think "Great, we will be getting the hell out of here when the light changes." Green light...all of a sudden, they arent in a hurry. They take off slow.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:59 AM

Left-Lane Bandits

My all-time favorite. Need I say more?

Old 11-30-2001, 11:27 AM
JET Speed Lab

i hate when people go into the turning lane then cut you off and go slow. so everytime someone goes up next to me on the turning lane and there wheel is not turned to the right or there not signaling right, i inch up next to them and give them a look, a lil rev doesnt hurt (this is with normal drivers not with other hooked up cars), green light goes and i take off, if they dont go i granny shift, if i see them trying, i make sure there next to me so they have no choice but to hit a parked car or break and get behind my ***.

your open lane theory relates to highway driving also.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

arghh!... dont even get me started.

well yesterday driving home, this big moving truck comes up behind me in the left fast lane (I was already doing 65-67 in a 55 mile zone!) the truck starts tailing so as usual I pull into the right lane and let him pass (I usually let people like that pass and then, either keep in the right lane and keep up with them or move back behind them and drive with them so I dont look like "I" am speeding) well the heavy *** piece of crap passes me and sine there was traffic in my lane I moved back into the left lane right behind the truck, well the truck SLOWS down!!! WTF! now he's doing like 50 in 55 Mile zone! and didnt even move into the right lane! STUPID DRIVERS!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:20 PM

Re: ...

Originally posted by GhettoMAX
arghh!... dont even get me started.

well yesterday driving home, this big moving truck comes up behind me in the left fast lane (I was already doing 65-67 in a 55 mile zone!) the truck starts tailing so as usual I pull into the right lane and let him pass (I usually let people like that pass and then, either keep in the right lane and keep up with them or move back behind them and drive with them so I dont look like "I" am speeding) well the heavy *** piece of crap passes me and sine there was traffic in my lane I moved back into the left lane right behind the truck, well the truck SLOWS down!!! WTF! now he's doing like 50 in 55 Mile zone! and didnt even move into the right lane! STUPID DRIVERS!
I feel a ***** session coming. This happens to me too. Except usually people will drive in the left lane in my blind spot for miles until I come up upon a car then speed up just enough so I can't get over. Drive me nuts!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 12:42 PM

Re: Left-Lane Bandits

Originally posted by SteVTEC

I like that term Steve. Haven't heard that one yet.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:48 PM

Re: Left-Lane Bandits

Yes, please explain...

Stereodude
Old 11-30-2001, 01:09 PM

Left-Lane Bandits are the RETARDS that stay in the damned left lane on interstates going at or below the speed limit and clog and back up traffic for MILES on end despite people honking and flashing at them to get the f*ck out of the way and yield the passing lane to faster traffic like they're f*cking supposed to!

(Can you tell that this gets me really wound up? I drive on highways a lot I'm packing to get out of town for the weekend right now :-)
Old 11-30-2001, 01:25 PM

Left-Lane Bandits are the RETARDS that stay in the damned left lane on interstates going at or below the speed limit and clog and back up traffic for MILES on end despite people honking and flashing at them to get the f*ck out of the way and yield the passing lane to faster traffic like they're f*cking supposed to!

(Can you tell that this gets me really wound up? I drive on highways a lot I'm packing to get out of town for the weekend right now :-)
I know exactly what you're talking about... those people make me traffic-slalom. I hate doing that.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:28 PM

(Can you tell that this gets me really wound up? I drive on highways a lot I'm packing to get out of town for the weekend right now :-) [/B][/QUOTE]

Steve,
When I was still in school and we would drive down to the Florida Keys from VA for spring break, we would always make a huge poster before we left to take with us. If someone was in the left lane going slow and holding things up, we would flash it at them whenever we finally got by them. It wasn't too crude or anything, it jsut said, "The left lane is for faster traffic, why agian are you in it?"

Some people would flip us the bird, others would be embarassed and look genuinely sorry. We figured that some people are actually THAT oblivious when it comes to the common code of courtesey on the highway. Oh well. I wish I could hit a button on my steering wheel and have that same poster pop up even now.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:32 PM

All you need are some LEDs on the bumper: Y-O-U D-R-I-V-E S-T-U-P-I-D
Old 11-30-2001, 01:33 PM

hehe...the poster idea is cool. I'd need a co-pilot though. D'oh!!

Originally posted by FloMax
I wish I could hit a button on my steering wheel and have that same poster pop up even now.
I'm an RF Designer working on cellular stuff. I think it'd be neat to design a simple "Car Messaging System" where you could IM cars around you and say things like "get the fvck out of the left lane, retard" or "hey, nice wheels" and "are you on the .ORG?", among other things
Old 11-30-2001, 07:41 PM

re: Left Lane Bandits

I love that one, too. One of my favorites.
Also, "the Anti-Destination League," "Lane Squatters," or "Citizen Speed Patrol."
Old 11-30-2001, 07:46 PM

just brake....
Old 11-30-2001, 10:54 PM

I hate it when the soccer moms do that cr*p. They speed up just enough to cut you off when your trying to get around them or they hold the whole works up. My solution typically, once I get around them, is to slow down big time in front of them like the did to me, then if the try to pass, I just smoke 'em.
I figure if they get a taste of their own medicine then maybe they will be less likly to do that s**t again.
Old 12-01-2001, 08:32 AM

hehe...the poster idea is cool. I'd need a co-pilot though. D'oh!!

I'm an RF Designer working on cellular stuff. I think it'd be neat to design a simple "Car Messaging System" where you could IM cars around you and say things like "get the fvck out of the left lane, retard" or "hey, nice wheels" and "are you on the .ORG?", among other things
Just don't be like the idiot who was behind me with one of those 1 million candlepower searchlights. He was flashing his brights and waving and pointing that thing at my car repeateded. (he's in a white Ford Ranger. I'm in my '95 Lumina LS) That stupid thing was so bright. The freeway I'm on is a 2 lane (each way deal). I'm in the left hand lane going about 80MPH (speed limit is 70). The right hand land is doing maybe 65MPH. There was no way in heck I was going to get over and get stuck behind some semi no matter how big of a hurry this guy was in.

The best part is the guy wouldn't pass on the right. I guess passing on the right was beneath him, but trying to blind other drivers with a searchlight was ok. I finally get a decent opening on the right and pull over to let him pass then I got right back on his bumper behind him. He drove 81MPH (freaking 1MPH faster than I was going) until a few minutes later when he got behind someone going 80 again.

So he proceeds to do the same thing with his brights and the searchlight to this woman in a newer Grand Am. She refuses to move over and keeps him behind her for about 5 minutes. The whole time he is flashing his brights and waving that stupid searchlight. In the mean time I'm still tailing his butt with 911 entered on my cell phone (hadn't pressed send yet). I was contimplating pressing send and reporting his butt for aggressive driving for about 5 minutes. I eventually decided against it.

So finally the road goes 3 lanes and he pulls into the new left lane and goes to pass the woman in the grand am. She pulls in front of him and he pulls back to the middle. This goes on for about 15 seconds and he finally gets next to her. I see them both yelling and flipping birds at each other. He drives on (at 81MPH). So at this point I'm rather miffed at this moron, so I mash the gas and fly down the right hand lane and continued to drive ahead of him (but in a different lane) for the next few miles till my exit. He just kept driving at 81MPH doing the same stupid thing with the searchlight to everyone as he went along.

If only I had gotten my Max already (it's on order) I would have been tossing stuff out the sunroof at him (my Lumina doesn't have a sunroof).

Stereodude
Old 12-01-2001, 09:10 AM

Inching at the light

I hate when I end up behind someone at a light and they are inching up the whole time. They are easing past the line like they are gonna take off. I think "Great, we will be getting the hell out of here when the light changes." Green light...all of a sudden, they arent in a hurry. They take off slow.
I see this all the time where I live (Los Angeles area). I'll be beside someone who is slowly inching forward, waiting impatiently for a green. They will totally consume the crosswalk, and sometimes are sticking into the intersection. You really do get the feeling they are in an exceptional hurry and cannot wait to slam their gas pedal.

And yet, 9 times out of ten, the light turns green, and I have time to take my foot off the brake and begin accelerating way before they even start rolling.

It's to the point where if I see someone doing this maneuver, I instantly pin them as a slow driver. If it didn't turn out to be true repeatedly, the actions would indicate otherwise. Luckily it's not so much an irritation as an oddity that makes me laugh regularly.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:22 AM
Zam

How about this? You are at a stoplight on a relatively uncrowded road. The light is red and no traffic is anywhere, except in front of you(blocking you in). Why not just go?
You can
a)wait there forever
b)look around for oncoming traffic and then GO(once clear)!

I think I'm going to get in trouble with the law after I leave Korea. I simply absolutely do not have the patience to wait on red lights, but I will rarely run a yellow(too dangerous). You should stop at the yellow, let the other traffic go, once it's clear, go. I'll probably get killed when some a$$clown comes racing outta nowhere. 4 months and I goto Germany, but who's counting?

Zam
Old 12-01-2001, 09:53 AM

yeah but nothing beats the....

MEXICAN ROADBLOCK

This is when 2 cars go right at or below the speed limit and stay next to each other for 5 minutes while a line of cars backs up behind them. That really ****es me off.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:23 PM

Depending on what city you are in, sometimes you might want to open a can of 'whoopass' on someone. I am not telling you to go beat people up, but some of them need to be confronted. In certain places you might get a gun pointed at you.

I see a lot of people are very tough and brave behind the wheels. They will flash the lights at you, give you attitude, give you the finger etc. But when you confront them they turn into little fragile creatures. Personally I do NOT pick on old people, weak men, and ladies (unless they want to be a huge ***** about things). One time this Jeep turn into my lane without signalling (I am in Canada) and I wasn't impressed. Then he decided to stop and turn into a entrance without signalling again. I wasn't impressed so I honked, and he gave me the finger. I slowed down, pull aside and was going to get out. He is a big dude but that doesn't matter to me. As Mr. Bush, justice will be served, made no mistake about it. If you **** someone off, you can expect them to say to you 'Merry Christmas'.
My female friend was with me and told me not to be silly.
Anyways, I should learn to be tolerant. God is my protector and sometimes I need to test out my Wing Chun skills
Old 12-03-2001, 09:05 AM

LED

All you need are some LEDs on the bumper: Y-O-U D-R-I-V-E S-T-U-P-I-D
hehe

I was in India a while back and had a chance to visit a car accessory store there and I found they were selling a LED screen (about 18"x5") that you just mount on your rear window (Mounts on the inside) Then the driver has a little switch panel that he can turn messages on and off, now I didnt get a chance of seeing what the messages were but I bet someone can easily modify it to say anything!

BTW, I saw this same kind of screen shown in the US on one of the shows like "high speed chases" or something, the officer was saying that they could make them with pre-programmed messages like "SORRY"!?!?! and such!!! so if you cut someone off you just display "SORRY" with a flick of a switch and avoid road rage.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:05 AM
is invisible

Re: LED

hehe

I was in India a while back and had a chance to visit a car accessory store there and I found they were selling a LED screen (about 18"x5") that you just mount on your rear window (Mounts on the inside) Then the driver has a little switch panel that he can turn messages on and off, now I didnt get a chance of seeing what the messages were but I bet someone can easily modify it to say anything!

BTW, I saw this same kind of screen shown in the US on one of the shows like "high speed chases" or something, the officer was saying that they could make them with pre-programmed messages like "SORRY"!?!?! and such!!! so if you cut someone off you just display "SORRY" with a flick of a switch and avoid road rage.

Yup, I've seen them before in a car catalog (BHMA - Beverly Hills Motring Accessories).

I can't see the point of it in India...they just use the horn and follow the rule of the bigger one has the right of way, and so does the one with the least to lose.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:07 AM

You know what I hate?

Don't you hate it when your on a road. You know? You're on a road and there are other people on it, too, challenging your ownership of the entire road?

Just kidding...I hate all this stuff too.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:08 AM

Re: You know what I hate?

Originally posted by Michael98033
Don't you hate it when your on a road. You know? You're on a road and there are other people on it, too, challenging your ownership of the entire road?

Just kidding...I hate all this stuff too.

Where the f*ck do you guyz always find those smilies!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: LED

Originally posted by CoolMax

I can't see the point of it in India...they just use the horn and follow the rule of the bigger one has the right of way, and so does the one with the least to lose.

Thats true man, actually in India they probably wont use it to apologize for cutting in front of someone, rather they will use it for displaying other "non-traffic/driving" related messages. Look at all the **** written on back of the cars now! hehe

BTW, Michael98033, I cant stop laughing at that smiley! never seen it before!
Old 12-03-2001, 07:59 PM

Some pontiac montana minivan tried that with my maxima, but he was 5 cars behind the redlight and stayed there, when teh other street light turned red I hear his tires go chirp and when he passed me not moving(still waiting for light to turn green right in front of the line) he was doing 30km/h at least. Then I launched 2300rpm and quickly got teh distance back. By 80km/h I was parallel to him and passing him quick, then 100 came and he was more than a car behind and his lane merged into mine. Good thing he didn't stop like a block before the light and do 100km/h and pass me and merge into my lane.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:22 PM

Re: Re: LED

Originally posted by CoolMax

Yup, I've seen them before in a car catalog (BHMA - Beverly Hills Motring Accessories).

I want to get a "Maruti Motors" decal and stick it on my rear windshield. I'd love to see the reactions from the FOBs on campus (no offense to anyone!) hehehe
Old 12-03-2001, 10:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: LED

Thats true man, actually in India they probably wont use it to apologize for cutting in front of someone, rather they will use it for displaying other "non-traffic/driving" related messages. Look at all the **** written on back of the cars now! hehe

BTW, Michael98033, I cant stop laughing at that smiley! never seen it before!
don't forget....
USE DIPPER AT NIGHT
Old 12-03-2001, 10:36 PM

I have to go through this kind of crap if I want to go ANYWHERE around where I live (western new york)... when I go to my university every morning, the 5 min., single road trip (just down the street) is doubled in time due to people occupying BOTH lanes and going 5 miles under the speed limit.
In WNY, there are many elderly drivers (and more recently, as younger people start settling here, wealthy soccer moms in huge SUVs talking on cell phones... at least w/ the new state law the cell phone part will *hopefully* die down) and this often contributes to poor drivers on the road not following the proper safety rules of the road

I HAVE realized, however, that this frustration is , in part, due to my aggressive driving.. so more often now (esp. since I had a bad car accident earlier this year) I try to just take it easy and cruise patiently
Old 12-04-2001, 03:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: LED

Originally posted by sardarg89

don't forget....
USE DIPPER AT NIGHT
man... brings back some memories! LOL!!
actually last time I was there I brought the Pressure horns (the ones with the whole musical system ) I had it in my old accord and man did I have fun with it, but I immediatly took them off after I started recieving compliments on them!
Old 12-04-2001, 07:45 PM
paulb

Re: Re: Re: Re: LED

Originally posted by sardarg89

don't forget....
USE DIPPER AT NIGHT
Don't forget you would have to park your car in neutral so people could move it to get to their car
Saw that in Chandigarh and Khanna a bunch of times and I was like WTF?

Old 12-05-2001, 03:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LED

man... brings back some memories! LOL!!
actually last time I was there I brought the Pressure horns (the ones with the whole musical system ) I had it in my old accord and man did I have fun with it, but I immediatly took them off after I started recieving compliments on them!

hahaha... now that's a sweet mod...
Old 12-06-2001, 09:15 AM

I had one of my best races in this situation with my 2K 5 spd. I was sitting at a red light near the Corel centre and on this particular road the right lane ends shortly after the light.

Anyhow, I was first in line in the left lane when this guy in a 2k Maxima GLE pulls up next to me in the right lane. He was inching forward so I knew he was going to try and scoot ahead.

Light turns green and I absolutely nailed the launch, one of my best. Little bit of wheel spin in first, ran all the way to redline, and then a chirp on the shift to second. Shut it down at 100 km/h.

The guy in the GLE didn't even have a chance. By the time we got to the other side of the intersection, I was already half a car on him and I increased my lead by 1.5 cars before the lane merge.

The guy was a sore looser though. Rode my *** until I made my turn. Not my fault he got an automatic.