5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Struts bad? brakes bad? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Struts bad? brakes bad? HELP

When driving theres this consistent squeak that goes on until i press my brakes.. once i let go of brakes they come back? what could this be..

and i got some struts just put on and they usually make a loud "popping" noise when turning even a lil, and also does it when all the way.. what can this be..

Thanks
Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 AM

Squeaking....sounds like you need new pads...how old are the ones you have now? Something may also be rubbing...check the plastic splash shields for noticeable deterioration.

Struts....sounds like the strut mount bearing....maybe the mount in whole. What you hear is probably the spring binding & unbinding.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sounds like the wheel bearing in my opinion, I had a similar problem and I thought it was something to do with the brakes as it also went away when I applied even a little pressure on the pedal.. also the sound would only make itself known (somewhat of a metal squeaking that eventually turned into a grinding) when the steering wheel was turned a little to the left, also my steering wheel vibrated violently. Thinking it was the brakes, I changed my rotors, pads.. cleaned everything and it still sounded that way until I took it to get the wheel bearing replaced, turned out that because I thought it was the brakes for so long and ignored it, the wheel bearing actually spun on the hub and damaged the hub. Ended up being expensive but solved the problem
Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 AM
MWM

Mine was doing the same thing until yesterday. Turns out all I needed to do was put some good silicone paste to lube up the notch on the brake pad that goes into the caliper. I was also worried I was looking at new calipers and/or rotors. The sound is gone for now, let's hope it stays.

You should also be able to tell if the sound is coming from higher or lower in your suspension. Then you will know if it's brake/hub related or strut mount related.

Last edited by MWM; 10-02-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:47 PM

more than likely .. imma need new brake pads.. but about the struts.. i really have no idea what it could be.. they were installed correctly.. almost guarantee it. i know i need a bump stop.. but this isnt just when i turn all the way or go up and down a driveway.. its when i just turn and its only 1 of my struts.. front passenger side.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 AM

bump on the struts? anything, any ideas?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

you can always do the normal test on the strut unless you are dropped.. if you are no way to test that sucker unless you remove it from the car and the springs... IMO. I have Illuminas and have one that is gone-bad really bad.. and the only way i could figured what was wrong was by taking it out and tested it. my .02
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 PM

When you replaced struts did you replace top mounts and bearing. I've read in other post that these can cause noises.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1
you can always do the normal test on the strut unless you are dropped.. if you are no way to test that sucker unless you remove it from the car and the springs... IMO. I have Illuminas and have one that is gone-bad really bad.. and the only way i could figured what was wrong was by taking it out and tested it. my .02
yeah, im only h-techs with illumina's also. and the front passenger side.. makes a like a loud pop usually when turning.. doesnt have to be all the way.

Originally Posted by 2kmax865
When you replaced struts did you replace top mounts and bearing. I've read in other post that these can cause noises.
No, actually i havent. could this be the actual problem?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Suspension Yoda

The steering issue is your strut bearings, guaranteed.