5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to definitively tell if your 6 spd has HLSD or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Don't you know who I am?

How to definitively tell if your 6 spd has HLSD or not

Yes, this has been covered.

Many times.

I've confined myself to the OT section for about a year now, and my first venture back to the 5th gen forum has shown me that a number of people still do not know/get this. So here it is:

MYTH: If your car has the right pedals, it has HLSD!

All 5.5 gen 6 spds that were made with HLSD came with unique pedals. However, not every 5.5 gen 6 spd with these pedals has HLSD. The so-called "pedal test" can only indicate the ABSENCE of HLSD, however, it cannot be relied upon to determine the PRESENCE of it.

MYTH: You can determine whether or not the car is equipped with HLSD from the VIN.

I have never heard of, read about, or been able to find myself any correlation whatsoever between VINs for cars with HLSD vs VINs for cars without HLSD.

FACT: Nissan stamps the transaxle code on the firewall of the car. This code indicates whether the car was equipped with HLSD.

How to find out if your 6 spd has HLSD:
I did this yesterday myself, to reconfirm, and snapped some pictures to make this process a bit easier for the mis-informed. If you still don't know how to tell if your car has HLSD after this, it's because your mom dropped you on your head too many times as a baby.

Step 1: Go out to your car.

Step 2: Pop open your hood, and look at the firewall (boxed in red).

Step 3: Read the plate. If your transaxle code (boxed in red) looks like this, you have HLSD.

If it looks ALMOST the same except there is an "A" at the end instead of an "H", then too bad-so sad, you have an open differential.

In conclusion: Many 5th gen owners flap on and on about how great HLSD is and how every 5th gen should have it. Think on this for a minute: Do you have to read the owners manual to determine whether the car has HID headlights? Or A/C? "Hey hunny, can you hand me the manual? I want to see if this engine puts out more power than my 4 cylinder altima!"

The fact that you have to check the transaxle code to figure out if the car has HLSD or not should be an indication as to how much it really makes a difference. More than anything, it's a rare option that people brag about having. Here's a hint: A good set of tires will do more for your handling/traction than HLSD will. Just my opinion... I have it and my brother doesn't. I've driven both our cars on a fairly regular basis.

Last edited by Rydicule; 10-08-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:05 AM

Nice write-up, Rydicule! You nailed it.

Most HLSD Maximas were made for Canada, because of snow... not because Canadians race their 4-door, family sedans more than Americans do.

If you're running a high-end set of summer-only tires, have solid poly motor mounts and a FSTB, you'll have awesome traction with or without limited slip.

Now brace yourself for all the LSD-heads that are going to disagree. (This will be fun. Hotshot, where are you?)

Again, very nice write-up.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 AM

Ok, I'll be the first to disagree with the opinion on HLSD. As long as you don't mind hard facts being used to counter opinion it'll be fine.

After driving my Max for a few years with an open diff I did a tranny swap to get HLSD. Everything else stayed the same. Tires, solid mounts, even the clutch stayed the same since it was still fresh. I've had the HLSD for around 3 years now.

FACT: Driving in the rain is a lot safer. With the open diff the car would pull strongly one way or the other if I punched it and spun a tire. Now if I punch it in the rain it pulls straight. It takes more to break traction and when it does it stays straight. Even as the tires wear and traction is reduced I still feel more in control with the HLSD than the open diff.

FACT: Handling was greatly improved. When powering through a corner with open diff it would want to spin a tire and plow straight. Now I can give it more power through a corner and the car whips right around. It's a big difference. This also applies to safety in the rain.

FACT: The car was faster at the drag strip after the swap. Not only did the car run faster times but the traction was noticeably improved. I was able to get full traction sooner and give it full throttle earlier in the run. I did the swap on a Tuesday and raced that Sunday. I raced a few weeks before the swap too. The car was exactly the same other than the tranny. That's with sticky drag radials too so nothing can be blamed on the tires.

Those are the facts I have to share. In my opinion those are improvements. I understand that not everyone appreciates better traction, handling and safety so opinions will vary.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 10-08-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Ok, I'll be the first to disagree with the opinion on HLSD. As long as you don't mind hard facts being used to counter opinion it'll be fine.

After driving my Max for a few years with an open diff I did a tranny swap to get HLSD. Everything else stayed the same. Tires, solid mounts, even the clutch stayed the same since it was still fresh. I've had the HLSD for around 3 years now.

FACT: Driving in the rain is a lot safer. With the open diff the car would pull strongly one way or the other if I punched it and spun a tire. Now if I punch it in the rain it pulls straight. It takes more to break traction and when it does it stays straight. Even as the tires wear and traction is reduced I still feel more in control with the HLSD than the open diff.

FACT: Handling was greatly improved. When powering through a corner with open diff it would want to spin a tire and plow straight. Now I can give it more power through a corner and the car whips right around. It's a big difference. This also applies to safety in the rain.

FACT: The car was faster at the drag strip after the swap. Not only did the car run faster times but the traction was noticeably improved. I was able to get full traction sooner and give it full throttle earlier in the run. I did the swap on a Tuesday and raced that Sunday. I raced a few weeks before the swap too. The car was exactly the same other than the tranny. That's with sticky drag radials too so nothing can be blamed on the tires.

Those are the facts I have to share. In my opinion those are improvements. I understand that not everyone appreciates better traction, handling and safety so opinions will vary.

I certainly appreciate a different view of it. I suppose I should point out that the effectiveness of the HLSD will have a whole lot to do with how one actually drives the car in a whole different assortment of conditions.

One variable I did not consider in my previous opinion: While I have had the advantage of driving both an open diff and a LSD on these cars, most people will not have... they may want to check the tranny code because without a relative comparison, they actually wouldn't know if the cars performance was due to the HLSD or not.

I formed my opinion on the following basis: The open differential car felt just as sturdy in all the same conditions you mentioned (except for the track, never done that one) as my HLSD car does. What I didn't consider is that the tires on the open diff car were far superior to my run-of-the mill all seasons... I suppose if I were to combine both elements the HLSD would out perform the open diff car in those areas?

I still maintain, however, that if you do have an open differential car and are seeking better handling/traction... you'd be better served upgrading your tires before doing a swap.

(I just put new tires on the car this week after running my nokian I3s for 55,000 miles... feels like a whole new car)
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 AM

So, basically, if you are normal driver and do not abuse your car, then HLSD doesn't mean anything.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im only commenting to say WOO HOO because i checked and I do have the HLSD unless someone is playing a sick joke and had the plate restampted...lol.

other than that I dont know much about them to offer a good opinion.

B
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 AM

You forgot another thing about cars that are actually equipped with HLSD... they have different steering wheel stitching.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 AM

disagree 100%. fwd sucks to begin with and having an open diff must be even worse. i have had my max on a few road courses and let my buddy who is an instructor drive my car. he commented how the hlsd was just as good and if not better than the nismo lsd in his car. i feel bad for all you open diff people..especially that rochester guy

and this is how i know i have it

Originally Posted by Rochester
If you're running a high-end set of summer-only tires, have solid poly motor mounts and a FSTB, you'll have awesome traction with or without limited slip.

Now brace yourself for all the LSD-heads that are going to disagree. (This will be fun. Hotshot, where are you?)

Again, very nice write-up.

Last edited by HotshotVQ35; 10-08-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
disagree 100%. fwd sucks to begin with and having an open diff must be even worse. i have had my max on a few road courses and let my buddy who is an instructor drive my car. he commented how the hlsd was just as good and if not better than the nismo lsd in his car. i feel bad for all you open diff people..especially that rochester guy
It's like shaking a can of Pounce Treats and waiting for the cats to come running.

Predictable and funny! Thanks, Hotshot.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you rydicule, im on the hunt for a 5.5 6speed and this is a great help.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
I certainly appreciate a different view of it. I suppose I should point out that the effectiveness of the HLSD will have a whole lot to do with how one actually drives the car in a whole different assortment of conditions.

One variable I did not consider in my previous opinion: While I have had the advantage of driving both an open diff and a LSD on these cars, most people will not have... they may want to check the tranny code because without a relative comparison, they actually wouldn't know if the cars performance was due to the HLSD or not.

I formed my opinion on the following basis: The open differential car felt just as sturdy in all the same conditions you mentioned (except for the track, never done that one) as my HLSD car does. What I didn't consider is that the tires on the open diff car were far superior to my run-of-the mill all seasons... I suppose if I were to combine both elements the HLSD would out perform the open diff car in those areas?

I still maintain, however, that if you do have an open differential car and are seeking better handling/traction... you'd be better served upgrading your tires before doing a swap.

(I just put new tires on the car this week after running my nokian I3s for 55,000 miles... feels like a whole new car)
It's true that most drivers won't notice the difference. My wife, for example, just drives and never really pushes a car. She wouldn't notice or care about HLSD. I've been hammering on cars for over 20 years and can tell if a tire is a few pounds low by how it handles. To me it matters.

Good tires improve the handling of ANY car. I can agree with that. Upgrading tires is cheaper and easier than a tranny swap for sure. Good tires will have better traction but any tire will break loose. HLSD affects what happens when they do break loose. It's simply the next step.

My car is pretty well modded and I've done it all my self. If I had to start over again the HLSD swap would be the first thing I did. That's how much of a difference it made. It multiplies the improvement of every other power or suspension mod.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that the write up is good. Should help people when picking a car.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 10-08-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 AM

If I had to start over again the HLSD swap would be the first thing I did.
And so you know that I'm not just teasing you guys because I'm ignorant...

...if I had to start all over again, I would have ordered HLSD when I bought the car new 7 years ago. And if I were in the market for a used 5.5 Gen (or 6.0 Gen) 6MT, I wouldn't buy it without HLSD.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Don't you know who I am?

NINJA edit...

You touched all the points I mentioned here in your last post, no need for repeating. I agree with you 100%.

Last edited by Rydicule; 10-08-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by OhOhMax
You forgot another thing about cars that are actually equipped with HLSD... they have different steering wheel stitching.
Really?

You might have just suckered me with that, in which case, good one. If not... that's kind of cool. I didn't know about that.

Hotshot, be the first to go out and take a picture of your steering wheel. This is interesting.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 AM

my friend on his old camry v6 made a U-turn with a full throttle, his inner tire was spinning veery bad and alot of smoke and he made a uturn just perfectly, than I knew that I have an LSD on mine (1999 infiniti i30) so I floored it from stop and tried to make a uturn, what happened is what I expected, I almost hit a curb and a stop light, I will never make a uturn even on 3 lanes because both tires spinning and ur car can turn, there are some other crazy things to check if u have LSD, I stick with those ones (trying to do burnouts on not even pavement so one tire would have more traction and other not, and I smile when I see them both making smoke lol
Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM

sorry made a mistake in last one: if both tires spinning ur can CANT make a urutn, unless u r out in the fields
Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
You embarrass me.

*cries*

I want HLSD. I drive spiritedly. I've felt the difference between an open-diff and LSD car. For one that takes turns fast, tracks the car, or pays attention to handling at all times, it makes a noticeable difference.

*cough* 04+ 6MT w/HLSD plz *cough*
Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM

since im outta work and have nothing else to do, here you go

Really?

You might have just suckered me with that, in which case, good one. If not... that's kind of cool. I didn't know about that.

Hotshot, be the first to go out and take a picture of your steering wheel. This is interesting.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:24 PM

since im outta work and have nothing else to do, here you go
Hmmm. I think OhOhMax is yanking our chain on the steering wheel stitching.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM

i take it yours looks the same?
\
edit, found this pic of a non hlsd steering wheel..it looks a little different? maybe?

Hmmm. I think OhOhMax is yanking our chain on the steering wheel stitching.

Last edited by HotshotVQ35; 10-08-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: found non hlsd pic
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM

i take it yours looks the same?
edit, found this pic of a non hlsd steering wheel..it looks a little different? maybe?
They look identical to me. I think we just got punked.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM

MYTH: You can determine whether or not the car is equipped with HLSD from the VIN.

I have never heard of, read about, or been able to find myself any correlation whatsoever between VINs for cars with HLSD vs VINs for cars without HLSD.
Actually the Vin does in fact contain that information but you cant ascertain it simply by looking at the VIN. You need Nissan's Parts look-up program to do it

In conclusion: Many 5th gen owners flap on and on about how great HLSD is and how every 5th gen should have it. Think on this for a minute: Do you have to read the owners manual to determine whether the car has HID headlights? Or A/C? "Hey hunny, can you hand me the manual? I want to see if this engine puts out more power than my 4 cylinder altima!"

The fact that you have to check the transaxle code to figure out if the car has HLSD or not should be an indication as to how much it really makes a difference. More than anything, it's a rare option that people brag about having. Here's a hint: A good set of tires will do more for your handling/traction than HLSD will. Just my opinion... I have it and my brother doesn't. I've driven both our cars on a fairly regular basis.
I think you're not quite understanding how a LSD works with relation to handling. An LSD, any LSD including Viscous, allows you to apply more power sooner in your turn than a car lacking an LSD. The cornering limit would be nearly identical between two identical cars save an LSD in one of them. The difference would be the car with the LSD would have more traction available for forward acceleration. As a result the car with the LSD has better corner exit speed.

The addition of an LSD is usually for performance reasons however the significant edge in traction is also apparent in any other low grip situation out there, snow, ice, rain, dirt, gravel etc. The place where the 'average' driver would notice the LSD over the open diff would be when you are making a right turn on a rainy day. You look both ways, pull out and suddenly notice you missed a car and now need to accelerate hard to not get hit.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM

They look identical to me. I think we just got punked.

Look different to me, stitching is different.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Look different to me, stitching is different.
Be more specific, because they sure look identical to me.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Color of the stitching is different.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Color of the stitching is different.
No, that's just reflection from the flash.

Although different stitching would have been a neat little detail.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Christobal65
Actually the Vin does in fact contain that information but you cant ascertain it simply by looking at the VIN. You need Nissan's Parts look-up program to do it

I think you're not quite understanding how a LSD works with relation to handling. An LSD, any LSD including Viscous, allows you to apply more power sooner in your turn than a car lacking an LSD. The cornering limit would be nearly identical between two identical cars save an LSD in one of them. The difference would be the car with the LSD would have more traction available for forward acceleration. As a result the car with the LSD has better corner exit speed.

The addition of an LSD is usually for performance reasons however the significant edge in traction is also apparent in any other low grip situation out there, snow, ice, rain, dirt, gravel etc. The place where the 'average' driver would notice the LSD over the open diff would be when you are making a right turn on a rainy day. You look both ways, pull out and suddenly notice you missed a car and now need to accelerate hard to not get hit.

My point was, I've driven Maximas with both an open diff and a LSD, and on a day-day basis... I noticed no difference. Perhaps, as you suggest, there are situational differences, however, I still maintain that the advantage a limited slip diff offers the average driver is much more slight than the gear-heads would have you believe. Sure, if you're racing your Maxima at the track, or auto-cross, perhaps it does help you pull through that turn 0.15 seconds faster than you could on an open diff. But I don't really care about that on my way to work.

Maybe in an emergency situation, I can get out of an ugly spot a bit prettier than someone with an open diff... but even if I have HLSD and the open diff guy has brand new tires with a FSTB and a RSB... bet ya he can get out of it just as easy.

Last edited by Rydicule; 10-12-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:05 AM

^^^
I like this guy. Rydicule nicely lays down a practical, logical, hands-on opinion. Too often on this forum members elevate their go-fast mod, or features like HLSD, to unrealistic heights.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:16 AM

No, that's just reflection from the flash.

Although different stitching would have been a neat little detail.

I'm pretty sure not, I've been in several HLSD cars and several non-LSD cars and the two have always had different colored stitching.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM

Specify what color the stitching is so we know what your talking about... I read somewhere the titanium edition cars have silver stitching instead of black. Maybe this is what you are refering to??
Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 AM

Keeps your fogs on man! 5th Gen Maxes look sick with them on
Old 10-10-2009, 10:09 AM

one of them is blown, i dont know which brand to replace them with so they look kinda like the oem hids..anyone??

Originally Posted by CARLOS9827
Keeps your fogs on man! 5th Gen Maxes look sick with them on
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM

i read through this and lol'd @ some of the stuff
Old 10-10-2009, 10:45 AM

one of them is blown, i dont know which brand to replace them with so they look kinda like the oem hids..anyone??
I think you should go with PIAA.... check this out

http://www.shiftice.com/piaa_fogs.html
Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Yellow capsules are the cheapest/easiest way to get some great looking fog lights...

Of course, actual HIDs would be better, using yellow capsules with stock bulbs costs much less and look almost as good. I'll take pictures tonight...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Don't you know who I am?

As promised:

Picture of the installed capsule, stock bulbs.

Lights on during the daytime:

Took this early this morning, still some sunlight, but the lights are more visible. Sorry about the glare... camera phone. Didn't actually want to have to find the camera for this.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Total Cost:

$16

60 minutes of my life.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM

to the orginal author, great post , just very sad now after reading ur post i ran out to confirm the 2wheel wonder , and found out i have a 1 wheel loser. I run 13.8 wonder what a HLSD will do for me?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM

I have an '04 HLSD swap in mine. Granted it doesn't rain much in Phoenix, Arizona where I am located, but when it did, I used to drive the Max from 2nd gear on, ONLY. 1st gear was just futile in many cases, even causing me to start veering into the next lane over (usually towards the right).

After the swap, even with a lower final gear, I can drive in the rain confidently, and even semi-punch it in 1st. I'd still spin, but I know I will be going straight. Tires and suspension were exactly the same before and after the swap.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
*cough* 04+ 6MT w/HLSD plz *cough*
It's SO worth it. Trust me.

Quick Reply: How to definitively tell if your 6 spd has HLSD or not