5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does the Megan Cat-back still exist for the 5.5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Does the Megan Cat-back still exist for the 5.5?

i'm looking for a cat back that is quiet.. with a low rumble.. and has the dual tip like the stock..

well i saw the HKS but its only an axle back, need the pipe between that and the cat...

but then i ran accross the Megan racing.. and i just saw a couple months ago, there was a vendor selling them..

but are they still around ? cuz i haven't seen anything...

thanks folks!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MidN1te
i'm looking for a cat back that is quiet.. with a low rumble.. and has the dual tip like the stock..

well i saw the HKS but its only an axle back, need the pipe between that and the cat...

but then i ran accross the Megan racing.. and i just saw a couple months ago, there was a vendor selling them..

but are they still around ? cuz i haven't seen anything...

thanks folks!
Damn.. research and google is your friend.. i just found alot lol

next question... is it really quiet? i saw one video and it wasnt loud at all..

folks?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Turbo'd Saab

with headers IMO its not quiet.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
yea i figured it wouldnt be so quiet... is it just as as loud as the cattman exhaust with headers?

i'm also looking to get a resonated Test pipe...if i can fricken find one lol

but then again, i heard the stock cat flows very nicely? so maybe i should just get a stock one again?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 AM

THE LAST I SAW(LAST WEEK) THE VENDOR SELLING ON HERE SAID THAT THE CATBACK IS NOW AVAILABLE
Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 AM

i saw one video and it wasnt loud at all...
99% of the exhaust videos here and throughout youtube are clips of a car revving in neutral. While that can be interesting in a baseline sort of way, it's not real-world. The engine isn't under load, and the sound is stationary.

I remember recently, someone here had a custom exhaust hung with a Borla dual-tip. Borla always has a sweet, low tone to it. But it's not a bolt-on; you need to find a shop with skills.

I'm gonna say this, too: "quiet" and "performance" are pretty much mutually exclusive when you're looking for added power from an aftermarket exhaust.

Personally, I love hearing the exhaust accompany the growl of the short-ram intake. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:05 AM

Just get the Ebay one thats like 140 shipped and then put a different muffler on it. unless you like the sound I like the sound a lot but will still be switching out a borla.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 PM

yea i figured it wouldnt be so quiet... is it just as as loud as the cattman exhaust with headers?

i'm also looking to get a resonated Test pipe...if i can fricken find one lol
Make one!!!

but then again, i heard the stock cat flows very nicely? so maybe i should just get a stock one again?
I've heard both catbacks with Cattman ypipes installed and IMO the Megan was louder! So I know with headers installed the Megan will also be louder.

install a Metallic Cat SS in/out Warpspeed or Cattman
Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 AM

See.. thats why i love this place... good people helping people...thanks for the input folks..

Well how much louder than stock cmax?

i want something that has a nice sound to it. I know it sounds funny but, even though i would like to gain a few ponies.. i'm content on not gaining as much as long as the sound is nice.

borla is awesome and so is Thermal exhaust..
Old 10-28-2009, 10:19 AM

See.. thats why i love this place... good people helping people...thanks for the input folks..

i want something that has a nice sound to it. I know it sounds funny but, even though i would like to gain a few ponies.. i'm content on not gaining as much as long as the sound is nice.

Ive got the Megan with OBX headers and cant hear the catback over my CAI honestly. So... I dunno what that tells you but if youve got a CAI you wont even hear a Megan Catback. Well... maybe slightly but its not LOUD and annoying. More of a deep tone... Also with cruise set at 75 on the highway theres absolutely no drone. I was worried about this when I purchased the catback.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by C-Young
Ive got the Megan with OBX headers and cant hear the catback over my CAI honestly. So... I dunno what that tells you but if youve got a CAI you wont even hear a Megan Catback. Well... maybe slightly but its not LOUD and annoying. More of a deep tone... Also with cruise set at 75 on the highway theres absolutely no drone. I was worried about this when I purchased the catback.
do you have the stock cat in still?

and.....a/v clip please??
Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by C-Young
nice! thats motivating!

it seems like a good price too..

and i 2nd the Cat question..
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 PM

I have a 5.5 with megan catback, cattman headers, and a high flow resonator. It's pretty loud. Sounds great don't get me wrong but on the highway in 6th gear it has some serious drone!! In mid and high rpms it sounds sweet and actually quieter! I want to try and get something to replace the resonator that will quiet it down a little bit. Even if I loose a horse or two!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM

As far as I know the megan catback is still on backorder and none are available in the country... I want one too but they told me another month and half at least. I have been waiting for 3 months and they keep extending the backorder time...

If anybody knows a vendor that has it in stock please let me know or shoot a PM cuz I want it!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by indecentmax
I have a 5.5 with megan catback, cattman headers, and a high flow resonator. It's pretty loud. Sounds great don't get me wrong but on the highway in 6th gear it has some serious drone!! In mid and high rpms it sounds sweet and actually quieter! I want to try and get something to replace the resonator that will quiet it down a little bit. Even if I loose a horse or two!
well that sucks hahahaha

i guess i may just havet to get a custom one made with magnaflow or something. and nice 18 inch resonator..
Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 PM

the catback doesn't necessarily cause the car to be loud, it's really due to the removal of the cats when you add headers. Resonators should help with noise. The megan catback was at a great volume before the headers!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM

I heard the Megan/CM ypipe setup at least 500-700ft away down the street and around the corner (out of sightl), The CM ypipe /catback was heard at about 100Ft (in sight) both were traveling about 20-25 mph thru the neighborhood. The Megan exhaust volume is much louder due to that smaller 14" muffler compared to the 19" Cattman rear muffler! Now as far as the resonator is concerned the Cattman resonator is a 22" heavy *** unit that provide plenty of sound protection. The Megan resonator I've never held in my hands to feel the actual weight/size of the unit! But I will say not all resonators are created equal when even comparing those of the same size!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM

well dang... what about the HKS? does anyone know anything about those HKS axle backs?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 PM

well dang... what about the HKS? does anyone know anything about those HKS axle backs?
there overpriced?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amj6I8_YKvI

thats just axel back.. sounds good.. but prob will be loud with full exhaust,..the more components you change.. the more the sound will change
Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

man.. the hks was one of the best sounding exhaust on the s2000's being N/A...and the s2000 comes with a header...

it was nice and quiet..

but your right it could possibly be really loud but if i got a nice big resonator... maybe that could help..

but then again, thats just more work and if i had to do that, that means it would be custom and in turn might as well do the whole exhaust custom from that shop Chunny was telling me about.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
Its not quiet at all with a supercharger either ahahah But still alot more pleasing to the ears when driving than other catbacks.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 AM

yes..it is kinda loud but oh so refined,...best sounding exhaust for the 5.5 ,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkTO3...eature=related rev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9kHW...eature=related drive by
Old 10-30-2009, 06:01 AM

Mist.. i cant see youtube at work.. what exhaust is that? the megan? or the hks?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:08 AM

neither.. the cattman 3" , ...wait till you get home lol
Old 10-30-2009, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
neither.. the cattman 3" , ...wait till you get home lol
Oh... hahaha.. man i'm not looking for all that lol..
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM

yes..it is kinda loud but oh so refined,...best sounding exhaust for the 5.5 ,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkTO3...eature=related rev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9kHW...eature=related drive by
Holy Crap! That sounds awesome! I mean, there's no way I'm going to upgrade my 2.5" cattman exhaust... but if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't hesitate to get his new 3" setup.

Brian Catts is the man.

That was pure music. MidN1te, how can you not love that?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:15 AM

lol i know right?,..call me crazy,.. but it has close resemblance to high european models

if i could set that to my ringtone i prob would ...

Last edited by mist max2000; 10-30-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:21 AM

heres the megan with headers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjlN...eature=related
Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Cattman, free the whales!

It's not even a fair fight, one is so obviously superior.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:03 AM

meh.. while were doing the compare and contrast thing..heres is a vid like the megan one except this one is cattman exhaust..2.5" ,.. rochester feel free to comment if that is like or not like yours.,.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YzUorpX-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fwj5...eature=related
Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM

meh.. while were doing the compare and contrast thing..heres is a vid like the megan one except this one is cattman exhaust..2.5" ,.. rochester feel free to comment if that is like or not like yours.
Pretty much, yes. Although without that pop & flame thing he's got going on. I know know what that is. Don't like it. Maybe he has a test-pipe and is running rich. Or maybe he's going for the whole Batmobile image. Whatever, it just seems wrong.

I would say this clip has a little deeper tone than I've been used to over the years, probably because of the headers, whereas I've got the cattman y-pipe. However, my exhaust tone deepened some earlier this month after installing NWP Spacers, so the compare is probably pretty even.

Don't have a video/audio clip to share, and that's just not going to happen. My wife would think I truly went over the cliff if she saw me making a video of the car's exhaust. Ah, no. We'll leave it at that.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 AM

call me crazy,.. but it has close resemblance to high european models
You're crazy. I have a buddy with an '04 911 Twin-Turbo, and I positively hate the racket his car makes. The car is beautiful, and sick fast (obviously), but the noise is unbearable. Painful, almost.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 AM

i cant see vids at work!

hows the megan exhaust clip?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 AM

i cant see vids at work!

hows the megan exhaust clip?
good-fair

how would you like me to explain sound to you..

vroom vroom...

wait till you get home.. patience is a virtue
Old 10-30-2009, 07:50 PM

good-fair

how would you like me to explain sound to you..

vroom vroom...

wait till you get home.. patience is a virtue
nice smart *** lol hahaha

i meant deep, not deep, raspy or not, sound like its deep and hollow like a mustang or a fart can civic...

but i just watched the video.. i admit that cattman is sex.. but he said he doesnt have any and not sure when he's making another batch... so i'm assuming i can go with the megan since its readily available... but at the same time.. this is gonna be in january february time...so maybe he cattman might have that exhaust available.. then i'm sure i'll def grab it

if not.. its gonna be the megan
Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 AM

yeah but cost difference is a big factor the. alot of people feel they gotta take the cat out. all that does is make for more noise on a dd. i ran the megan, the cattman, the greddy and a custom magnaflow. the greddy had the most refined sound but that huge can sucks. megan sounded the next best then cattman. although that was before the 3" version.dont do magnaflow(super loud and lots of drone). granted i never took out the cat even when running a y-pipe. i think though the hks is the best looking and i may try that. back to the cost thing

greddy 600 plus shipping
cattman 650plus shipping
cattman 3" 750 plus shipping
custom magnaflow 350
megan 350shipped

Last edited by maximumobsesion; 10-31-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 PM

The good sound is all opinionated according to preference some like it loud, some like it louder, and some like it quiet like me....
Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 PM

i'm looking for a nice deep sound with no rasp and not so loud... yet its gotta be bolt on... i do want gains outta the car, but i'm totally willing to sacrefice a few ponies for the cost of having a quieter car.

This maxima is just a cruiser car.... not my ***** out car so thats the goal i'm working with...